Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Lamar Jackson looked good in the hof game. Blitzed constantly and the offense didn't adapt well, but those runs he busted looked really nice. Just what people were hoping for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The Mahomes gif hype is real for the chiefs.

Where is the gif hype for Lamar Jackson? Has he had a chance to play much?

Mahomes was on the team for a year and then named the starting quarterback, so it's kind of a different situation. But yeah, Lamar's preseason hasn't been very impressive so far. Which sucks because I'm pretty sure every one of us wanted to see him ball out. It's way too early to say he won't be good but it's more than obvious that he isn't ready. He's had a couple good plays but I think his preseason completion percent is like 40 so not good at all

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The new helmet rule and the fact that players can be ejected, fined, suspended etc. for hits like he described is kind of like making personal fouls reviewable.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Flikken posted:

Watching Hue's post game presser, he all but names Baker the starter. I think he just wants to break it to Tyrod before telling the Media.

There's absolutely nothing else you can do at that point. Tyrod's performance was absolutely horrible whereas Baker's was more than good enough. There would be riots in Cleveland if Tyrod starts again.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

jersey suburb chic

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cavauro posted:

I like To watch the browns. they're good.

Right now they kind of look like one of the only teams in the league with a functional defense

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

The Ravens will lose to the Browns

i also believe this

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

I have a similar suspicion about the Browns, but it's hard to say because they've never been consistently good since coming back to the league in 1999. So not nearly as strong as the Bengals one.

I'm beginning to think these teams may exist only to torment you

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ed Oliver from Houston and Rashan Gary from Michigan I think are the top two DTs and guys that will almost surely go in the top of the first round.

Bosa is a defensive end.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Amari Cooper is like a less talented but more reliable Josh Gordon. He'd be a fine option for the Browns, it's not like the guys playing on that team are any strangers to dropping the football. 1st rounder is too rich but a 2nd? Maybe. I've always thought someone else could get more use out of him than the Raiders

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's not a seller's market. If Gruden actually does trade Cooper right now, he's selling low.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehhh I could still see a second being given. He's had good years, and there's a decent chance that a better quarterback could really unlock him. Prototypical size and speed, former top pick, all that stuff. A third I could see but even taking that would probably be a mistake for Oakland. Even if they've struggled to get him the ball they don't really have anyone to take that WR1 position.

If you think about how reliable second round picks are, it's not crazy to trade one for a known quantity like Amari Cooper. Anyways I have no idea why I'm talking about this in the AFC North thread.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Steelers are trying to trade for Patrick Peterson

Well that's no good at all for the other teams in the AFC North. That guy could really shore up the Steelers' worst weakness and put them over the edge into playoff favorite.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Peterson is struggling in the new zone scheme which the Cardinals switched too this offseason. It just doesn't play to his strengths. I actually thought it would be good for him (and he's still been good) but the fact is that scheme totally underutilizes him. He needs to go to a team that is comfortable playing press man or at least zone with man principles like cover 4. In that scheme he could play a very similar role to Xavier Rhodes, traveling with the other team's best receivers and locking up the outside. I'm sure Pittsburgh would love to be able to put more guys at the line of scrimmage but right now the talent isn't really there for it. I guess when you think about it there are very few teams in the NFL that couldn't use a guy like Peterson.

Of course he's not as young as he once was. But he's still an absolute baller. I'm sure there are a lot of teams that will be putting out feelers on him

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The Steelers' percentage of zone vs man this year is 57% man vs 15% zone matching vs 28% straight up zone

Sounds like they want to be doing an aggressive man defense. They've been getting burned in man for some pretty big plays because the secondary is iffy in some areas. Peterson could do a lot to help and take away a weakness that other teams attack regularly., He's more physical, taller and faster than Artie Burns.

I'm just kind of a fan. I follow players and teams that I like and I don't get too upset about what happens in games. As a kid my dad took me to Rams, 49ers, Raiders and Chargers games so I don't really feel loyalty to any one team.

Play fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 17, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW9dxPBl8kk

Been very impressed by Ward. That quickness and fluidity is insane. He reminds me of a not-injured Jason Verrett except even quicker with his feet. I've got a lot of love for smaller, quicker corners that can just blanket guys. The Browns had an uncommon haul of picks, it's true, but generally I'm pretty impressed at what Dorsey did with them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

He's got really long arms for his size too and he stays so low that he can dart any which way at a moment's notice. The way he breaks right up tight with the receiver and doesn't give them any breathing space is really something you don't see all that much

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'll take a shorter guy that will be in position to contest a catch any day over a tall "physical" corner that can't stay with anyone out of their break. Tell your friend he's a dumbass

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

Our whole pass rush works due to coverage. This is going to be ugly.

It's actually mostly the opposite I think, the coverage works because of the pass rush. Multiple times in the Titans game free receivers were set loose down the field and Mariota couldn't hit them because of all the pressure and how often the ravens were blitzing. That doesn't work against the saints, they have a good offensive line and Brees is excellent at making defenses pay for bringing pressure. Wasn't a great matchup for the ravens to start with

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

So Gatts and Flikken yall noticing a massive uptick in fans suddenly defending Hue now that he's extremely likely to get fired?

There's been plenty of people defending him in the Hot Seat thread, which honestly completely amazed me.

He sucks. Get rid of him. Y'all are acting like abused wives who promise that their husbands are just under a lot of stress and will definitely stop hitting them soon.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

It really was a pretty even matchup though, definitely not "bad" for the Ravens. We shut down their strong running game really well, kamara basically did nothing. They had strong run D but we're more of a passing team this year. Tennessee game you also have to consider that Mariota was playing hurt, and just isn't all that good to begin with.

We really handled the Saints through three quarters but we broke down in the 4th due to getting tired and missing our best corner. With Humphrey we likely win the game. He's probably like the 1st or 2nd most important guy on the defense. We didn't get to test them much downfield either due to windy conditions. We probably should have tried more though.

We really really should have gone for 2 at the end.

Oh I totally agree. Just pointing out why some of the strategies that worked against other teams didn't have as good a chance against this one. And sure enough, they did not bring as much pressure this week because they knew that Brees had a pretty good chance to beat it. I had the Saints to win but I didn't expect it to be that close, so the Ravens did pretty well.

Also, you're only saying you wish they went for two because they missed the extra point. If they had gone for two and didn't make it you'd be bemoaning that. Going for the presumed gimme of an extra point was the right call with the Ravens having good momentum at that time.

Bigass Moth posted:

I struggle to blame any loss this year on Hue except Oakland where he didn’t go for it on 4th and inches after that terrible ref spot.

So that's one clear loss through his fuckupery, and I would put the loss due to kicking on him too. Isn't it his job to evaluate players and suggest changes when something isn't working?

However, instead of thinking about how many losses Hue created why don't you think about how many wins you could assign to him. I can't think of anything. His time with the Browns has been one of the great losing streaks of modern football. The team last year should've won games. This team will lose more games because of him. He doesn't bring anything to the table.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I wasn't watching that game super closely so maybe you're right about momentum. But if they had gone for two and failed you'd be moaning about how Justin Tucker has never missed an extra point and how this team probably doesn't even want to win. Don't lie to me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Joe Thomas shouldn't come back to being a player, that would be really really unhealthy for him. But something that seems possible to me would be O line coach? No idea if he's even interested, he's probably happy to be out of the whole system and doing his own thing but if not he'd make a great position coach.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Way past time to move on imo. He never, ever gave that team the best chance to win possible. In fact he actively got in its way

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

6 consecutive fired after losing in Pgh

Well when you compare this game to the one at the beginning of the season, it's pretty clear that one team has gotten better (like good teams do as the season goes on) and one has gotten worse. So it's a reasonable time to fire someone imo.

Have you ever noticed that truly good teams with good coaching staffs always improve towards the back half of the season? Whereas fake good teams are usually falling apart by this time, just as the Browns are. There is a real difference there, and it's just as we expected that even if they struggled early, teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Rams, Panthers . . . they always get better as the season goes on. Whereas teams that don't have that quality and consistency in coaching tend to get worse.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

'Steelers get better as the year goes on' is more that they are usually comically under prepared the first few weeks and coasting on talent.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's because not one of their important starters play a single significant snap in preseason, so it takes the entire month of September for the team to get timing and on field communications to gel

That's part of it, but part of it is that it's just natural to start getting better, start figuring out the best plays to call and the best coverages to run that fits your talent. Also the best personnel. If you actually have a good coach who is capable of reacting to new information, then it makes sense that your team gets better as the season goes on and there is more information available. Teams that don't have good management usually start losing to teams that do around this time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's not a great draft for offensive line... that's how it appears anyways. Those guys that seem to have the size and athleticism to be NFL tackles are gonna go HIGH

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The defensive line draft in general is insanely stacked, both interior and edge. Guys who would've gone on the early first round last year will probably get pushed into the second this year. Just a lot of good players.

Not exactly the weakness of any team in the AFCN but hey you can always use more pass rushers

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

in like 2009 or something i thought kawalimus was a troll, i googled his name and found a baltimore sun account with like 40k+ posts all saying the same stuff he was saying here

i'm still laughing at this (in a nice way)

Kawalimus posted:

Look at AJ Green, Dalton, Bernard and all those other running backs they've had there. I think he's done a very good job drafting talent like Jonathan Joseph used to kill the Ravens every time. Marvin Lewis has engineered one of the most embarrassing parts of the Ravens which is that the Ravens have a losing record to the Cincinnati Bengals franchise. And that hurts as he was a big part of our first SB year ever. I believe Marvin Lewis is a SB-caliber coach. If Carson Palmer didn't get hurt that year who knows? That Bengals job was considered like a Raiders or Browns job. But he made it work.

Unsurprisingly, your love of Marvin Lewis is directly related to your pathological obsession with teams who have beaten the Ravens. I mean, I guess I've heard of worse decision-making strategies

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

the whole "andy dalton is good enough" argument is predicated on having a defense that is good and at the very least not absolute dogshit which the 2018 bengals defense is. they're freaking bad.

Dalton's been fine this season. In fact it's been a pretty good year so far for him. But he's only capable of doing so much.

I thought the Bengals had a chance to be pretty good on defense, but they're clearly one of those teams that only gets worse as the year goes on.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Best Ravens game of the year so far in terms of watchability, that was fun as hell.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Borsche69 posted:

That game was some boring crap what the hell.

I like unique football and that's what it is when an NFL qb runs for over 100 yards. Jackson's exciting to watch too. Wouldn't care a bit of I never saw Joe Flacco again in my life

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Lamar may soon rule but at the moment he's pretty meh. Slow going through progressions, bad ball placement, too often looking to run when the pass is there, hesitant in his decision making, and far too inaccurate when throwing on the run. I'm really excited about who Jackson will be with a full off season under his belt but right now I'd definitely start Flacco for the rest of the season if healthy.

Besides, Joe... that's my quarterback :qq:

why are you even talking about throwing that's dumb throwing the football is dumb

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That's a lot of words that don't amount to an answer to the greatest debate of our time. If Flacco's healthy for this week's game, who's the starter?

You gotta let Lamar keep cooking my dude. Flacco is rear end. I'm sorry

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah the line is playing really well finally, which honestly might have more to do with the recent wins than anything Hue Jackson did or did not do

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bruce Arians is the only choice guys. I absolutely think he is the best guy for an organization in that situation- a great coach who fosters an excellent environment and whom the players all love

His teams usually play beyond their talent level too

Play
Apr 25, 2006

laughing at this baltimore vs. cleveland argument. I guess when you live in either of those places your only comfort is that the other is worse ;)

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

When you see a LB in coverage on a number 1 receiver, it's because the offense anticipated what the defense was doing and exploited the matchup. This is a football fundamental. Defense rarely dictates gameplay, this isn't 2008

Well he's right in that the situation probably only arose because they were blitzing, so in a way they were betting a lot on their guys getting to or at least disrupting the quarterback. It didn't work, mostly because of Patrick Mahomes and him being able to do things no one else can,, but it was still a good call. Besides it's the Ravens and I firmly believe that without the frequent blitzing and confusing "show" coverages they'd be only a mediocre defense rather than a great one. So it's hard to get away from that when basically they rely on the blitz and bringing pressure from unexpected places which will expose weaknesses sometimes

Baker made some amazing passes this week. WAY down the field too. He is looking legit recently

Play
Apr 25, 2006

After watching Ravens/Chiefs last night instead of the game that was actually on my conclusion is that might the game of the year. Love that guy Dixon on the Ravens, he looks like a drat bowling ball all thick in the body and thin arms but he is quick as hell and really fun to watch. Seems like they're moving him into the co-lead back spot with Edwards which is cool. Mahomes was pretty impressive and so were the Ravens. Plenty of fourth downs, lots of great runs. Some great defense on both sides. Plus it had Romo on the commentary and he was great. Best game I've seen for a while

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Joe Flacco will go to Jacksonville and be really good.

I hope he does. He's a better fit there and maybe he can help rescue that defense by being vaguely competent on offense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

the Ravens are the coolest team in football right now and it is all due to Lamar Jackson, who is the loving man

baker mayfield is pretty cool too. the steelers are cool for this week because they just bear the Patriots. the Bengals are not cool right now. hopefully this is answered everyone's questions ill be here until wednesday