Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The prize is World Championship Darts Tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Someone form a pro plastic bag political party and get in the senate for free lmao

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If this is a preview of how Coles will behave as a seperate company when it's spun off in November then Lmao.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

These silly pollsters, they provide a breakdown of ALP voter's preferred leader but don't show the proportion of LNP voters skewing the overall data :thunk:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Rename the Greens to the Australian

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It really makes you wonder if Shorten is actually unpopular

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So ultimately the question is useless. And polls should not ask it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The telegraph just wants more by-elections

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Beetphyxious posted:

ahhah coles backflipped again. free bags end at end of month

Who is running this lmao

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

White people calling you racist for being against plastic bags :thunk:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nice try but police are dickheads in every state. :mrapig:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Interesting how as soon as Barnaby had as sex scandal suddenly every party does. I wonder what kind of journalists do this.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Foodora, the food delivery service fighting a landmark test case on the rights of workers, will exit the Australian market at the end of the month.

In a statement released on Thursday afternoon, Foodora said it would stop operating in Australia by August 20.

Jeroen Willems, country manager at Foodora Australia, said he wanted to express his gratitude to all customers, contractors and employees for their dedication to Foodora Australia, "and for allowing us to be a part of their everyday".

"It has been a privilege to bring the food you love right to your door,” he said.

"The company will fully utilise its resources to ensure employees find suitable alternative roles, as well as support partners and contractors during this transition.

The company, which has been a part of the Australian market since 2015, will start winding down services and close by August 20th, 2018."

It is understood the decision to leave the Australian market was in response to a "shift in focus to other markets" within its global parent company Delivery Hero. The global company is based in Berlin and has 14,000 employees, not including delivery riders who are hired as independent contractors.

The decision to leave Australia comes as the food delivery company fights a test case in the Fair Work Commission launched by the Transport Workers Union on behalf of former Foodora delivery rider Josh Klooger.

The case could help set a precedent for whether food delivery riders are really employees entitled to legal minimum rates of pay, conditions and protections against unfair dismissal under the Fair Work Act. A spokeswoman for Foodora said it would continue fighting the case after it stopped operating in Australia.

Foodora has objected to Mr Klooger's claim against unfair dismissal on the basis that he is an independent contractor. Protection against unfair dismissal is only available to workers defined as employees under the Commonwealth Fair Work Act.

Victoria’s Industrial Relations Minister Natalie Hutchins has also announced the Owner Drivers and Forestry Contractors Act would be amended to regulate pay and conditions for owner drivers using digital platforms including Uber and Deliveroo. The NSW and Federal branches of the ALP have also promised to introduce new regulations, if they win government next year, to ensure online platform workers including food delivery riders have legal rights to legal minimum rates of pay and protections against unfair dismissal. These rights cannot be accessed by independent contractors under the Fair Work Act.

Mr Klooger, who worked in Melbourne, was sacked in March after refusing to hand over control of an encrypted chat group that Foodora workers had used to compare pay and conditions. He set up the invite-only "Teamchat Foodora Melbourne" in 2016 using the messaging service Telegram.

The Transport Workers’ Union has called on the Federal Government to require Foodora to set up a fund to compensate riders.

The Fair Work Ombudsman has also launched legal action in the Federal Court that relates to two bicycle delivery riders who delivered food and drinks to customers in Melbourne and a delivery driver who delivered food and drinks by car to customers in Sydney.

The Ombudsman alleges Foodora misrepresented the three workers as independent contractors when they were in fact employees.

A survey of 17,000 Australians over almost two decades has found "there is no evidence of any growth in the use of independent workers in Australia," despite widespread fears of companies such as Uber and AirTasker flipping a century-old industrial relations model.

The findings of the Melbourne Institute's Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia research, released last month, show the rates of self employment have been in marked decline since the survey began in 2001, levelling out at 8.5 per cent in 2016.

Lmao, gets taken to court by Union, a landmark case that may cause food delivery workers to have rights.

In response? lol we are a global company we will just leave the country oink oink oink

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Can Companies just do that?

Leave the country and disband before appearing in court?

Surely their plan on avoiding Australia giving delivery workers rights doesn't involve dissolving before the hearing then phoenix back into the country in about 8 years?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

RORTS FOR VOTES

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

NSW worst state, Queensland Strong

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Australian Identity: Drinking Guinness and ordering a Large Kebab at 1am only to vomit it up on a taxi 20 minutes later. Wake up next morning. Call a sickie, order some noodles off Uber Eats, get drunk again and vomit it all over the floor. Too lazy to clean up your own vomit, whistle your dog over to eat your vomit and then spend the rest of the day on Tinder.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Woman racially abuses staff at Bribie Island Chinese restaurant

A WOMAN has been filmed racially abusing staff at an Asian restaurant north of Brisbane before trying to flee with someone’s dinner.

Staff at Bribie Island’s Sun Lai Chinese Restaurant were told “this is our country” by a woman on Wednesday night.

In a video posted to Facebook by Darren Mutze the woman argues with staff over payment.

“I haven’t f*****g eaten for a month … and you turn around and do this. Over a fried f*****g rice man,” she shouted.

“This is our country … I just want my food.”

The woman then walks around a counter and grabs a bag of food.

Staff can be heard yelling as they take it back.

The video has been viewed 53,000 times with people condemning the woman’s actions.

“Poor staff having to put up with that,” Janet Bernhardt said

Angel Riesenweber said she felt sorry for employees.

“The poor little Asian women makes my heart hurt,” she said.

Mr Mutze posted the video to a Bribie Island community page after asking the woman to leave the eatery.

“Anyone recognise this female that I just stopped from stealing food from the Sun Lai Chinese on Bribie?” he wrote.

“Full on racially abused the staff then tried to run off with someone else’s food.”

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

this broken hill posted:

what is the best channel to get in contact with bolt? not one of his interns, they will only censor me

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Weekly good?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh sure NOW its sexist.

Two weeks earlier I swear the feminazis were coming to cut my dick off. Which is it News? Which is it?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tanya Plibersek proposes we scrap the tampon tax: Women. :shrug:

Scottie the Hottie axes the tampon tax: SCOMO HAVE MY BABIES OH MY GOD SEE CONSERVATIVES ARE THE REAL FEMINISTS :swoon:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

Make cars public transport, kill all profiteers

Fairfax posted:

You've got a subscription for your television, your music, what about your car?

Melbourne startup Carbar has raised $5.75 million to launch a car subscription service where customers own a car on a month-to-month basis with all costs including insurance and services paid for.

Co-founder Desmond Hang started Carbar three years ago with university friends Davie Saw, Richie Chen and Kenneth Teo.

"I love cars but I kind of hate the shopping experience," he says. "At this stage I felt that the current process in the market is broken. You have to often take a huge chunk of your time away to buy a car and get your car serviced so we are trying to alleviate all the stress of owning the vehicle. We describe Carbar as a vehicle-owning experience."

The four friends put in $150,000 to start Carbar which initially enabled customers to buy new or used cars online with a three-day test period to test out the car.

The startup turned over $10 million last year and has just under 1000 customers signed up but Hang says the real growth is coming from Carbar's subscription offering.

He describes it as "the Netflix of cars", enabling customers to chop and change cars based on their needs with a minimum subscription period of one month and two weeks' notice needed before returning a car.

Prices start at $150 a week for a basic car up to $400 a week for a BMW 3 Series.

"There is a shift with millennials these days, everyone is going on subscription," says Hang. "There is a move from owning cars so we have tremendous growth in that, we have experienced 150 per cent month on month growth."

The subscription service taps into the movement away from car ownership driven by car sharing startups like GoGet and Car Next Door.

Carbar will launch Carbar Connect this month bundling in fuel savings and benefits for servicing like a free courtesy car.

"Next for us we want to accelerate growth and at the first part of next year we want to expand to Sydney and then to Brisbane," says Hang.

Carbar went through the Melbourne Accelerator Program, part of the University of Melbourne, last year and this year the startup is part of Caltex's Spark accelerator program.

Campbell Walshe, director of the Melbourne Accelerator Program, said the problem around car ownership Carbar is tackling is complex.

"It's not an easy problem to solve and you can see by the way they have changed their business, they are finding out from their customers the best way to go about it," he says.

Porsche, BMW and Mercedes have all launched car subscription services overseas which Walshe says could pose some tough competition for Carbar in the future.

"The way Carbar can succeed against manufacturers like this is by being agnostic to brand and manufacturer which gives a strong competitive edge," he says. "When the manufacturers do it themselves they still hold all the power. The startups that are really successful in market today are startups that give more power to consumers than has traditionally being given."

Have you paid your car subscription yet, fellow millennials?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ghost Frydenburg?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

His body appears to end at his collar

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

David Speers is like the only good thing about Sky News and they probably don't pay him enough

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland strong...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sorry I was saying earlier that the African gang poo poo might maybe work but I can see Victoria is better than the average Australian. Also, Greens on 18.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hmm Top Story on Fairfax is about Barnaby Joyce contemplating suicide.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/The_UnSilent_/status/1026606797828878338

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That's adorable

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Husar gone.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ms Hadchiti, one of 22 former staffers who have lodged an official complaint against Ms Husar, has also alleged today that her ex-boss allowed her eldest daughter, Elissa, to live with her for a month and refused to tell her despite fears that her then 20-year-old daughter was missing.

The “bizarre events” started on November 11 last year, Ms Hadchiti told the publication.

Her professional relationship with Ms Husar had broken down to the extent that the MP had allegedly verbally abused her, ostracised her in the office and cut her off from Facebook and Instagram, Ms Hadchiti said.

Then her daughter, who had recently come out as gay, abruptly left home without any explanation and no contact for almost a month.

DAUGHTER LIVING WITH HUSAR
Ms Hadchiti only found out she had been living with Ms Husar “the whole time” from the electorate office manager in early December.

When the staffer confronted Ms Husar, the MP allegedly told her she was “too Catholic”, “homophobic” and “not understanding” about her daughter’s sexuality, particularly when same-sex marriage was about to become legal.

Ms Hadchiti told The Australian she had known about her daughter’s “coming out” for 18 months and that they had previously had a good relationship, although she had difficulty in coming to terms with her daughter’s sexuality.

Lol what is going on at this office?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If this whole thing is because of Sydney Catholics trying to kill off an MP who offered to help a gay daughter then maybe Husar not bad?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My theory is Husar protected a gay daughter and then some Christian staff went to News Corp and pulled some sort of KING RAT on her to teach her a lesson about hiding gay people from Catholic parents?

I mean this new information seems pretty key and explains why no other MP in the opposition has heard of such complaints until now. Not even Shorten had heard 9f all this poo poo before. It just seems like a bunch of concerned ex staffers sided with this mother and fed journalists a bunch of rumours about her to teach her a lesson about daughter meddling.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

bandaid.friend posted:

This is the funny joke where you post some looney's comment like it's your own, right

Dunno. Feels like a stitch up to take wind out of the by election victories so I'm trying to figure where and how.

Could be coincidental of course but this final detail about catholic families and gay child running away makes me feel like it was released after she announced resignation for a reason

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I want JBP to mod this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I swear to god if you fuckers leave me modding this mess with a stupid rear end avatar I will gas this whole operation and give you all forums cancer.

• Locked thread