Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-01/sunday-surcharges-remain-even-as-penalty-rates-fall/10061252

quote:

Despite a decision by the Fair Work Commission that has seen penalty rates fall substantially since July last year, many restaurants and cafes continue to charge the same Sunday surcharge.

https://twitter.com/couriermail/status/1019361491298861056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I don't know the article but the tweet is funny

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1024773066675511296

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Buzzfeed's only reported on the content of the letter from the investigation to Husar, calling it libel is a bit silly?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

champion

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Yeah the difference in how Barnaby is treated is obvious, this was on Workman's twitter, the hypocrisy's a joke

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1024842245248176128

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-02/foodora-pulls-out-of-australia/10066964

quote:

Food delivery company Foodora is pulling out of Australia, and will close its doors by August 20.
In a statement, Foodora said the reason for its Australian closure was to "shift [its] focus towards other markets where the company currently sees a higher potential for growth".

Although Foodora will no longer compete in the Australian food delivery business, it still needs to defend two lawsuits.
Later this month, the company will return to the Fair Work Commission to defend an unfair dismissal case.
It is also being sued by the Fair Work Ombudsman for sham contracting.

Tony Sheldon, national secretary of the Transport Workers Union, suggested the move was being made to avoid paying its riders backpay, saying three quarters of its workforce was underpaid.
"Foodora would rather pull out of Australia and leave thousands of riders without work rather than pay them the millions of dollars they owe," he said.
"Ever since they arrived in Australia, Foodora, like other food delivery companies, has denied its riders fair rates, superannuation, workers compensation, annual leave, the right to collectively bargain and even forces them to work shifts for no pay at all."

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

It's hard to write this, but Beetphyxious' rebrand suggestions were better than what the party went with

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Dear NSW

We don't need any more evidence; we're THOROUGHLY convinced.

Please just take a nap for a while.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/nsw-police-post-women-safety/

quote:

The NSW Police Force, known for their usually witty social media antics, has sparked backlash after posting their version of Beyoncé’s ‘Single Ladies’ to their Facebook page in which it instructs women on how to stay safe on, presumably, Tinder dates.

All the single ladies,
(All the single ladies),
Now put your hands up,

Up on your phone, surfing apps alone,
Doing your own little thing,
You’ve decided to swipe, have a super like,
Now someone’s asking to meet,
Keep yourself safe (safe),
Tell a friend your meeting place (place),
‘Cause it’s only worth it if you’re okay,
You can't be playing with safety

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Old white dude uses 'colonists' as a scare word and suggests Aboriginal and Torres Strait nations aren't real in the same article

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

If assimilation is a concern we could accept these people so desperate to come here they'll board leaky boa- Andrew come back. Andy mate

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

snoremac posted:

I'd like Bolt to explain how the cartoon of suspicious looking immigrants about to literally eat Australia is merely a sober reflection of the facts.

The old white dude has a bigger knife and fork than everyone else

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-03/young-greens-resign-in-disgust-over-partys-failings/10069348

quote:

Young Greens have written an open letter to the party demanding it "reshape its culture around sexism within the party", as dozens "resign in disgust" over the handling of sexual misconduct allegations.
The petition comes in the wake of an ABC investigation which revealed the Greens mishandled complaints about sexual misconduct by members.
In an open letter addressed to the national, state and territory branches of the Greens, the authors laid out a list of demands, describing the party's actions as a result of "deep-rooted sexism".
"Some of the undersigned have already resigned in disgust," the letter said.
"For those of us who have resigned, we may consider our membership upon serious reform."
Hundreds of party members and non-party members signed the petition on Friday morning, with dozens specifying they had resigned or would resign from the Greens.
"The party's history of covering up reports of sexual violence is just one illustration of a dangerous political logic taking hold in the party; one which values electoral success and vote-winning above principle, including the principle of justice for survivors of sexual assault," they said.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/people-are-worried-peter-dutton-might-get-the-power-to-call

quote:

Civil liberties groups and human rights organisations are worried that new legislation to allow home affairs minister Peter Dutton to call in the army for vaguely worded "domestic violence" incidents will give the already-powerful minister even more power.
The legislation was introduced in response to the inquiry into the police and government reaction to the 17-hour Lindt Cafe siege by gunman Man Haron Monis in the Sydney CBD in 2014, that led to the deaths of Tori Johnson and Katrina Dawson, as well as Monis.
The legislation sets out that states and territories can request the assistance of the Australian Defence Force in relation to terrorist incidents, sieges and other act of "domestic violence" as defined in section 119 of the Australian Constitution, but also the federal government can call in the army to protect Commonwealth interests.
Under the legislation, in cases where a quick response is needed, the prime minister, or jointly the attorney-general and defence minister, can call in the army in response to incidents.
It also establishes that the minister for home affairs as an "alternative minister" who can authorise an expedited call out with one of the other ministers.
I had not heard of this

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

ewe2 posted:

Stop the Alts!

Think of poor Sinclair Davidson, Judith Sloane, and the IPA, they're stupid enough and want your money.

almost as if the alt right is actually more concerned with a "world wide pride" than nationalism, hmm

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Fart onto the reciever maybe

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-08/hydrogen-fuel-breakthrough-csiro-game-changer-export-potential/10082514

quote:

Two cars powered by hydrogen derived from ammonia will be tested in Brisbane today thanks to a Queensland breakthrough that CSIRO researchers say could turn Australia into a renewable energy superpower.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/coles-little-shop-facebook-plastic

quote:

The promotion works like this: shop at Coles, and for every $30 you spend you also receive a random, pre-wrapped miniature "Little Shop" figurine. You don't know which of the 30 possible figurines you've been given until you open the pack.
It all might seem pretty normal and standard — supermarkets have, after all, had promotional giveaways before. But the mania surrounding Coles Little Shop is perhaps a bit much. Listings on eBay have been found for hundreds of dollars. Some individual figurines go for $5 alone, while others (like the miniature OAK milk, which is apparently hard to come by) can go for $20.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/plastic-toys-vs-plastic-bags-coles-little-shop-drove-bag-backflip-20180803-p4zvdw.html

quote:

Supermarket giant Coles told staff it would keep giving away reusable plastic bags - sparking an angry backlash from environmentalists and a hasty backflip - so it could get shoppers through checkouts quicker during its popular Little Shop toy giveaway.

And while Coles said the extended bag giveaway had been aimed at helping customers better "transition" to the new regime, an internal memo sent to store managers and obtained by Fairfax Media tells another story.
The memo says the move would help stores get customers through their checkouts faster while they experienced busier than normal trading thanks to its Little Shop toy promotion.
The promotion, in which customers receive small plastic-wrapped plastic replicas of everyday supermarket products for every $30 they spend, has been wildly popular and has even prompted a secondary resale market for the toys online.

I guess it's like Pokemon cards or LEGO mini figures for people who've never heard of either. Can't wait for the now-inevitable Coles Little Shop series 2

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Anidav posted:

My theory is Husar protected a gay daughter and then some Christian staff went to News Corp and pulled some sort of KING RAT on her to teach her a lesson about hiding gay people from Catholic parents?

I mean this new information seems pretty key and explains why no other MP in the opposition has heard of such complaints until now. Not even Shorten had heard 9f all this poo poo before. It just seems like a bunch of concerned ex staffers sided with this mother and fed journalists a bunch of rumours about her to teach her a lesson about daughter meddling.

This is the funny joke where you post some looney's comment like it's your own, right

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Anidav posted:

Dunno. Feels like a stitch up to take wind out of the by election victories so I'm trying to figure where and how.

Could be coincidental of course but this final detail about catholic families and gay child running away makes me feel like it was released after she announced resignation for a reason

The whole thing's really surprising and gross. I'd prefer to think the allegations are true just because it's most comfortable and I think Workman's intelligent and decent enough not to print garbage

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

there is already a mod with a bird avatar though

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Start a countdown for some idiot to append a -gate suffix to this crap

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Sekkira posted:

Can we stop doing this?

Doing the -gate thing or making the joke that someone's inevitably going to do the -gate thing

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

If anything Cottrell showed Australia how horrible Sky News is, he's pretty much an Australian hero

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Sekkira posted:

Showing the world what a horrible person he is so we can mock him is fine.

Sekkira posted:

That was the most nothing interview.

Are you going somewhere with this

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

It is evidently difficult to change the mind of someone who's not reading what you post, it's true

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

[1] Don't Know
[2] Avshalom
[4] JBP
[4] Jobs and Growth
[5] Anime David

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

making GBS threads on welfare recipients to own the alt right, I guess

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/life/is-leaving-work-on-time-bad-for-career/9934420

quote:

"I'd never hire an intern who left the office before me."
"Sure, you can head to the gym — if that's your priority instead of work."
These are things bosses have said to me over the years.
Like many Australian workers, I've felt the pressure to pull extra hours in the office.
While the official line is that businesses can make salaried employees work only 38 hours plus "reasonable" additional time, the statistics tell a story all too familiar for many workers.
In Australia, we have one of the worst levels of work-life balance in the developed world: we put in an average of 5.1 hours of unpaid work each week in the form of skipped lunches, late finishes, early starts and the like.
So is there any realistic way to clock off on time and still be seen as a top-notch worker? This is what bosses, workers and a career coach have to say.
When is it OK to stop working? We ask some bosses

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Lid posted:

So https://energyinaustralia.org/about/ was shown in a random ad for me on youtube calling for coal power stations that was set to "Harder Better Stronger Faster" by Daft Punk. I am trying to make sure I didn't have a fever dream.

I don't understand the idea that subsidies for renewables increase power prices

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/rgcooke/status/1027785710152175616

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

http://www.penthouse.com.au/articles/opinion/avoid-the-perils-of-cuffing-season

I regret to inform you that Daisy Cousens has written something some advice for Caleb.

quote:

It’s summer. You’re a young(ish), virile, stallion of a man, oozing confidence and charisma. The days are hot, the nights are long and the weekends full of sun, sand and seemingly endless barbecues. But most importantly, the girls are – in a word – loose. For some reason, the word ‘relationship’ has slipped from the vocabulary of every eligible maiden, replaced by ‘Tinder’, ‘One-night stand’, and ‘Don’t call me’. For the fast-paced, bros-before-hoes kind of man, it’s the perfect season to indulge your thirst for fun and love of debauchery.

Then autumn hits. Holiday frivolity is replaced by early bedtimes, dark mornings and the grind of the nine-to-five. But most unfortunately; the girls are, well, different. A quick one-nighter borne of a mutual understanding is replaced by a slew of post-coitus text messages, demanding to know why you haven’t called. Drunken nights morph into awkward afternoon coffee dates. And everywhere you look, even the most stoic fuckboys are pairing up. Your social life is in ruins, and you have no idea what went so horribly wrong.

So why this inexplicable shift in the cosmos? Everyone seemed to be having plenty of singleton fun just a month before. Well, you’re not going crazy. The sudden scent of sickly romance is what the cool kids call ‘cuffing season’. That is: the time between the start of autumn and the middle of winter when humans become desperate to find a snuggle-buddy for the colder months. The term is a loose BDSM reference to handcuffs; people want to be ‘cuffed’ to someone who will keep them warm in winter.

Cuffing season isn’t some weird fad. It’s an actual thing, and when put in context makes perfect sense. In America, for example, cuffing season begins around September and ends in early March. Given the below-zero temperatures, social activities can be almost completely eliminated. Who the hell wants to spend a night at the bar when you’d have to drive through a blizzard to get there? It’s not hard to understand why Americans want something to do when they’re trapped at home by an ungodly polar vortex. Especially if that something happens to be someone. Cuffing season also coincides with many of their major holidays; Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s. You know, the occasions where Great Auntie Mabel infallibly asks her most promising heirs, “So, darling, why don’t you have a girlfriend? Do you not like girls anymore?”

The term is a loose BDSM reference to handcuffs; people want to be ‘cuffed’ to someone who will keep them warm in winter.

Australians, however, are a little bit different. As our major holidays coincide with summer, our modus operandi varies. We’d rather be unattached for the holidays, finding fulfillment through pure party spirit. Our preference for pairing up is associated with the nothing-months in the middle of the year, when we want to occupy our time with ‘Netflix and chill’.

Also, the numbers don’t lie. According to a 2015 poll from the dating app Hinge, men were 15 per cent more likely to be sniffing around for a relationship in winter than in any other season. However, during summer, men were 11 per cent less likely to couple up. Women, however, are pretty much equally clingy all year ’round. In winter, they were five per cent more likely to want a relationship, and five per cent less likely in the warmer months.

Now, all of this is fine if you’re the kind of guy who’s looking for a relationship. However, if you’re more of a no-strings-attached type of guy – the kind who likes his conquests with a side of see ya later – this is a disaster. Yes, five per cent doesn’t seem like much. However, it could easily be the difference between a wild night with a clean, mutually happy break in the morning, or emotional texts, progressively angry voicemails, and obscure, tear-emoji-ridden Facebook posts denouncing all men.

As a woman in relationship, I can confirm that regardless of what single ladies say during their morning affirmations, it is impossible for women to have meaningless sex. We release more oxytocin (aka the ‘cuddle hormone’) during intercourse than men, which makes us biologically prone to getting nonsensically attached. Ever felt vaguely guilty for assuming women are clingy? Don’t, because we are. No matter what the cranky, neo-Marxist feminasties preach, women by and large prefer emotional, loving sex to a don’t-kiss-me-goodbye romp in the hay.
During cuffing season, we are especially prone. However, there are rare exceptions.

If you’re a guy who’s seemingly immune to the cold weather urges, it is possible to avoid the perils of cuffing season. You just have to find those exceptions to the rule.

If you’re a guy who’s seemingly immune to the cold weather urges, it is possible to avoid the perils of cuffing season. You just have to find those exceptions to the rule. I would suggest a woman over 45, divorced at least once. She’s good fun, takes care of herself and after years of experience, knows her way around a bedroom. Not only will she be happy with a hump and dump, she’ll probably be the one kicking you out of bed as soon as it’s over.

Your second option is a puma; a woman between 26 and 34 who has a thing for younger men. You know, like a cougar but younger. She finds the social taboo of being schlonged by a younger man a thrilling one to bust, and would rather put a notch on her bedpost than a shiny rock on her left ring finger. The downside to pumas is they’re not interested if you’re over 25. So, college-age Casanovas; get in while you’re young.

But let’s be honest. Eventually, gentlemen, it is most likely you will want to find a nice woman, settle down, and pop out a couple of kids. I know many an erstwhile man-whore who can attest to that. When such desire hits, you can put cuffing season to good use. By frequenting small places of gathering during autumn, you can use women’s heightened sense of snuggly-ness to more easily catch a mate.

But while you’re happy flying solo, beware of cuffing season. Stick to the divorcees, the pumas, or even the recently-broken-up-and-on-the-rebound. Otherwise, you might just find yourself unwittingly cuffed until spring rears its beautiful, sexy, very much welcomed head.
Can't loving help complaining about feminism in my batshit dating advice essay for a titty magazine

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

gross

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

honky cartoonist afraid of spicy food

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Why isn't Workman a 'real' journalist?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/australias-child-refugees-are-being-diagnosed-with-swedens

quote:

Faced with these appalling scenes, and an unflinching government, lawyers and doctors have resorted to using the Australian Federal Court as a blunt instrument of extraction – retrieving dangerously sick kids from Nauru one by one.
The first child medical transfer was ordered in December. Since then, the National Justice Project has run about a dozen cases, and a handful more have been run by firms including Maurice Blackburn and Russell Kennedy Lawyers. There are more to come.
The lawyers make the same arguments over and over: The Australian government has a duty of care to these kids, and the medical facilities and psychiatric care available on Nauru are inadequate.
The government has repeatedly opposed the transfers, but so far, it is losing the legal battle. In some cases it has caved at negotiations, and in others, fought all the way to a court order. BuzzFeed News understands that since the cases started flowing against the government, it has provided additional funding to child and adolescent mental health services on Nauru. (Home Affairs did not respond to questions on this.)
Decisions published by the Federal Court offer glimpses into the severity of the situation. In December 2017, the government was ordered to remove a suicidal young girl from Nauru. A suicidal 10-year-old boy followed in March. On July 3 a seriously ill 2-year-old, and on July 11 a suicidal 17-year-old. Then on July 26, the girl with resignation syndrome.
Judges are not mincing words. On March 6, Justice Nye Perram wrote: “I note the next plane out of Nauru is on Wednesday 7 March 2018. To be quite clear, the boy and his mother should be on that plane.”
The lawyers running these cases are overworked, frustrated, and angry. George Newhouse from the National Justice Project is scathing of the “ineffective and inappropriate” method to get the kids medical treatment.
“It should not take teams of lawyers rushing up before a Federal Court judge to force a government to provide basic medical care and treatment to vulnerable kids,” he said. “There’s just no excuse for their dereliction of duty.”
Jennifer Kanis, head of social justice litigation at Maurice Blackburn, is angry too. She said the government went to “extraordinary lengths” to prevent the very sick 2-year-old girl receiving Australian medical care, instead sending her to Port Moresby. The court eventually ordered the toddler be brought to Australia.
“It’s just really frustrating,” she said. “I would have thought test the law once, test the law twice, now there’s a body of cases that are all saying the same thing. I’m finding that the government’s position on this is baffling.”
There is a dearth of lawyers currently doing the grim work, but according to Newhouse the answer does not lie with encouraging more firms to pick up the work pro bono.
“The solution is for the Australian government, and the opposition, to do what is morally and ethically correct and look after the lives of young children,” he said.
“It’s really not a job for lawyers. I’m happy to do it – actually I’m not really happy to do it – but it’s the government’s responsibility, and why are we doing it? Because they’ve abrogated their responsibility to these kids. And if they don’t watch out, a child is going to die soon.”
There was a New Yorker article about this a while back, fortunately linked in the Buzzfeed article. It's worth reading the entire thing. It's pretty clear this is an extreme response to great stress and hardship, and the only treatment is to allow the families to live in Australia

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

honey, the yellow peril

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Mad Katter posted:

Imagine posting this poo poo immediately after the Charlottesville anniversary. JFC.

https://twitter.com/TheCalebBond/status/1029158497617727488

I think Caleb should debate the front end of a nazi's car

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

i didnt vote

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Raue hosed it, the papers dug it up and now they're beating it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Konomex posted:

I'm not sure comparing an Australia election to a UK or US one is fair, they have opt in voting, we have compulsory voting. And barring anyone whose just skipped out on enrolling for year after year, we don't have a large number of people who go 'well, it'll probably be alright so I won't vote'.

I feel like compulsory voting and the additional choice provided by STV make it even more astonishing we keep voting against our own interests

• Locked thread