Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I can't find a more impartial source since the media release came out today: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/labor-government-unveils-new-laws-to-make-renting-fair/

quote:

The Andrews Labor Government has unveiled landmark new laws to make renting fair for all Victorians.

In the biggest change to the Residential Tenancies Act since it was implemented more than two decades ago, the Labor Government has announced more than 130 reforms that will strengthen renters’ rights, better protect vulnerable tenants and enable people to turn the house they rent into a home.

More than one in four Victorians rent their home, a number that is increasing as it becomes more difficult for many Victorians to break into the housing market. They need and deserve better protection.

Reforms in the Bill will ensure every rental home meets basic standards – with functioning stoves, heating and deadlocks. It will also require landlords to meet basic safety standards for gas, electricity and smoke alarms.

The legislation will also crack down on rental bidding, limit rent increases to once a year and cap bonds at four weeks rent.

Renters will be given the right to make minor modifications – such as nailing a hook on the wall or installing anchors to stop furniture falling on children – without first obtaining the landlords consent.

Protections for pet owners will be stronger, with residential rental providers only able to refuse the right of a tenant to have a pet by order of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Rights of entry and photography when a rental property is being sold will be clarified, as will rules to deal with goods left by a renter at the end of a tenancy.

To make it quicker for renters to get their bond back, tenants will be able to apply for the release of bond without written consent from their landlord, who will have 14 days to raise a dispute before it is repaid automatically.

People will also be able to terminate rental agreements in situations of family violence. The change will ensure victims are not held liable for the debts of their abusers, implementing the Royal Commission into Family Violence’s recommendation to better protect and support victims of family violence living in rental housing.

The reforms also give certainty to people in caravan and residential parks, providing access to compensation if their park closes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Bludgers: People who don't have jobs because there isn't enough jobs for everyone.
Not Bludgers: People who try to farm the 2nd driest continent on earth and ask for money when it's doesn't rain.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Isn't the point of solar panels to use the energy you generate to power stuff inside your home before it draws money from the grid? That way the solar power you use is getting you full value and the only time you need to worry about the tariff is when you are producing too much energy?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If your only motivation is the environment then you should just buy your power from a company that supplies power from 100% renewable energy sources.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

You Am I posted:

Just sack the lot, make sure anyone who was either a lawyer or was a part of uni student politics is not allowed to be a MP

This is the future I want.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Also, the poo poo that makes building a decent house more expensive would be a lot cheaper if everyone was doing it.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-22/malcolm-turnbull-leadership-crisis-deepens/10149440

quote:

Malcolm Turnbull's prime ministership remains vulnerable after a flurry of late-night resignations from senior ministers, and reports more Liberals are switching allegiances to Peter Dutton.

The ABC understands Health Minister Greg Hunt and Trade Minister Steve Ciobo are the latest frontbenchers to offer their resignations, but they have not been accepted.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
It'd be pretty hilarious if Trumball and a few other libs split from the LNP and created a coalition with Labor for the remainder of this term, thereby removing the Libs from power and denying Dutton his chance to be PM. I don't even know if that's possible but it seems like a logical extension of the farce that our parliament has become.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

What's Labors motivation to join such a Coalition rather than pushing for an election?

Apart from hilarity? Nothing.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Anidav posted:

Oh I see, they are going to all pile on so the outcome of who will be prime minister will be completely random

I vote for someone else!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Dear Asteroid,

Please hit Canberra now.

Thanks.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

Has anyone bothered to actually reach out to the Nats for comment?

Who?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

You Am I posted:

Well that's better dressed than most Queenslanders

They are probably better educated than most Queenslanders as well.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Starshark posted:

In NSW they want 400 000 (giga?)litres of water instead of the 15 000 they're getting.

*megalitres http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-27/drought-continues-in-nsw-despite-weekend-rain/10166682

JBP posted:

Also in Victoria we've got this white elephant monstrosity that wasted millions of dollars for no reason but I hear it somehow can make bad water into good water, idk though sounds like a dumbass doondoggle labah waste to me.

According to its wiki, the Victorian desal plant has an output capacity of 410 megalitres per day (with an extended output of 550).

At this point we'd probably get better value for money from drought relief if we just built a bunch of solar powered desal plants and use that to supply the farmers (while also lowering/cutting their take from the MD Basin).

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Wrageowrapper posted:

Also creates a fuckton of pollution, just ask southern Tasmania.

And the food they eat isn't exactly sustainably sourced either from what I remember.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Not sure about Salmon, but Tuna farms are fed using unsustainably trawled baitfish

Pretty sure it's the same for Salmon.

E: And Prawns.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 27, 2018

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Dan Andrews just announced an election committent to build an underground suburban rail loop connecting all the major rail lines from Cheltenham-Werribee via the Airport. :vince:

https://www.3aw.com.au/daniel-andrews-announces-suburban-rail-loop-see-the-video/

There's no way the Libs can beat that in terms of PT investment (which they don't do).

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hambeet posted:

That's huge. Do we think attitudes are changing toward public transport enough that it's a sure fire winner?

Working in the CBD, inner and outer west, I've known my fair share of swing voters who look down on public transport, still holding the Australian dream of a quarter acre and think an hour commute is fine for their three car family. Any investment in public transport is a waste of money when they should just build more roads blah blah blah.

I like telling these people that every person that takes PT is one less dickhead on the roads that they have to deal with. Do they want more dickheads on the roads?

The Before Times posted:

the only spanner in the works will be the NIMBY set. I wonder how much land will need to be acquired for the project

Given that most of it appears like it'll be underground the acquisitions will probably mainly be around stations and the impact on residents should be limited. You can't complain about skyrail shading your solar panels when it's underground.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

tithin posted:

It's Tuesday Australia, do you know who your government is today?

Some dickhead?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Where the bloody hell are ya?
I need someone to look after me kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Adults. In. Charge.

• Locked thread