Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

We’re down to two kickers. And the competition is tense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Mike Daniels cut. Gutey going to talk about it this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1154042221823291392

Seems like it's a combination of him getting older and becoming a rotational piece instead of an every-down lineman, his huge cap hit, and Kenny Clark becoming dominant. I'm not really too worried here as the Packers historically have been pretty good about timing their cuts to older linemen. On top of that between Za'Darius Smith, Blake Martinez, and Jaire Alexander, there's plenty of leaders on the defense now -- that wasn't the case a few years ago when it was really just Daniels trying to get everyone riled up.

I'll miss him though.

Yeah, it's sad to see him go but with Lowry extended, Clark due for a big one of his own, and Gary + Z. Smith able to play inside along with developing guys like Lancaster, Keke, and M. Adams I'm feeling pretty good about the line right now. Daniels is a beast though, so hopefully someone pays him to keep on trucking

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

GNU Order posted:

We’re down to two kickers. And the competition is tense

I'd take odds they'll bring in more before the season starts, personally

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Robbie Gould was singingvhe stetch at wrigley over the weekend, this town loves robbie gould.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
One of the greatest Bears of all time

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dexo posted:

One of the greatest Bears of all time

Who knows what would've happened last season if he was on the team, lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Play posted:

:smith:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Play posted:

single doink

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I was surprised by the Mike Daniels news, but one thing I'm wondering about: wasn't there a bunch of noise over the past 1-2 years about him trying to be a leader on the defense but the other guys just getting annoyed with him because he didn't admit his own mistakes?

I'm all about freeing up the cap space to give Clark a big extension, so if that's all it is, that's fair. But I wonder if there's also a "jesus christ we gotta start cleaning up this toxic as gently caress locker room" element to the decision.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

They should hire Mike Daniels full time just to give effusive praise in NFL top 100 videos

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I don’t think that was really a factor. I forget the source but it stated the view of Daniels from both the Packers and the league is that he is now a third down pass rusher only, which is why there were no takers for a trade. Add in not being fully healthy and other recent additions to the team, he is a costly luxury redundant to the team.

Petting now has a full complement of massive dudes he can move around interchangeably and Daniels did not fit in that mold.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1154847230500716544

Play
Apr 25, 2006

will the incest never end?

wonder if he has a grudge and that's why he chose the Lions. I felt sure he was gonna go to the Patriots or someone like that. You know, a good team

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If he wanted a good team, why would he go to the bad Patriots, a team roundly defeated by the handsome Lions?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I wonder if players just get comfortable in their divisions, they've done tons of scouting on the other players and such and know a lot more and just don't wanna go through that process again?

Or maybe Mike Daniels' hatred burns with the fire of a thousand gokus and he WILL have his anime-style revenge

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

This D-line is gonna be like the one in 2014 that gave up like 40 yards per game on the ground.

They're also going to give up 300 in the air

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
He’s definitely pissed. The Lions have won their last 4 games against Green Bay and he wants in on that action. At least way back when, Ted Thompson was smart enough to trade Favre out of the division to delay the revenge tour for at least a year as well as getting something for it. I still can’t believe nobody would bite for even a 7th round pick.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1154869913116401664

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Hah, isn’t that guaranteed money slightly less than what the Packers would have paid him?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

There's a difference.

Players will sign for less somewhere else, but they don't want to be disrespected by the team they play for

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1154876447015809024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

He’s definitely pissed. The Lions have won their last 4 games against Green Bay and he wants in on that action. At least way back when, Ted Thompson was smart enough to trade Favre out of the division to delay the revenge tour for at least a year as well as getting something for it. I still can’t believe nobody would bite for even a 7th round pick.

They don't like the size of the contract

Then again, lol that's almost identical to what he was going to have in Green Bay. At least a team didn't have to give up any picks

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
"My name is Michael Wayne Daniels Jr., defender of the teams of the North, General of the Cheese Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Matthew Patricia. Teammate to a gay quarterback, player for an ungrateful owner. And I will have my vengeance, on this team or the next."

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Styles Bitchley posted:

"My name is Michael Wayne Daniels Jr., defender of the teams of the North, General of the Cheese Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Matthew Patricia. Teammate to a gay quarterback, player for an ungrateful owner. And I will have my vengeance, on this team or the next."

good but needs more anime

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Lions cut Riddick to make space for Daniels. Hope he catches on elsewhere, he was an exciting player when used correctly.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

RIP in peace Theo, I'll always remember you putting that one dude on skates on MNF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMwAxjmEUbo

And now that 2013 draft class that looked so amazing after two years is down to Slay and Sam Martin.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I was really worried when the Packers let Mike Daniels go that they were letting a good player walk. But then the Lions signed him, and now I'm less worried, because that probably means he's done. :fork:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh gently caress off, Riddick is awesome. That's so stupid.

Anderson and Johnson better be able to catch and then make like three dudes miss. :mad:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Packers should absolutely look to see what the going rate for Riddick is now that the Lions cut him. Even if they feel great with Jones and Williams, Riddick's upside is high and RBs get injured all the time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MJeff posted:

Oh gently caress off, Riddick is awesome. That's so stupid.

Anderson and Johnson better be able to catch and then make like three dudes miss. :mad:

I feel like when they signed Zenner to a new deal, then signed CJ Anderson and drafted Johnson, the writing was on the wall for Riddick, fair or unfair.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gonz posted:

I feel like when they signed Zenner to a new deal, then signed CJ Anderson and drafted Johnson, the writing was on the wall for Riddick, fair or unfair.

I guess, but Riddick is a better RB than Zenner, isn't he?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MJeff posted:

I guess, but Riddick is a better RB than Zenner, isn't he?

I would argue "yes", but this is the Lions we're talking about, here. Riddick is one of the better pass catching backs in the league and I guarantee you someone will snatch him up within a few days.

I think this was an issue of the Lions having a logjam at RB and perhaps wanting to go a tad bit cheaper with the Zenner route.

Edit: Riddick was making three and a half million bucks in 2019. Zenner is on a 1 year deal and is making significantly less.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 27, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Riddick in a Darren Sproles-style role with some team that loves to do a lot of change of pace stuff where he'd be a consistent part of the offense would be outstanding. He'd thrive in a system such as that.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Riddick simply wasn't worth his price tag for the Lions. He absolutely could be worth that to another team. Frankly I don't think he was put in the best position to succeed with the Lions, but what else is new.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Styles Bitchley posted:

Riddick simply wasn't worth his price tag for the Lions. He absolutely could be worth that to another team. Frankly I don't think he was put in the best position to succeed with the Lions, but what else is new.

He’s currently talking to the Saints.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Oh christ he's going to ruin our new center.

https://twitter.com/PioneerPress/status/1155130253758685184?s=19

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Not only am I the same age as Phil Loadholt, but I just looked him up and we share the same drat birthday? Weird.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/RobertZeglinski/status/1155492267387498497

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Oh no Daniels has CTE

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1155538185767837696?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Daniels isn't taking this well.