Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Rudy has been calling into CNN and others to explain that trump this morning was just voicing his opinion not giving direction to actually obstruct. :lol:

You gotta admire his persistence. He's like a dumb Sisyphus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

lol it's like a mini-version of Brexit. Stir up the anti-brown sentiment to the point where actual laws are passed, but end up loving over the towns long term with legal fees, litgation, loss productivity, ect. Meanwhile the people pushing the new policy take their money and run. Just like Brexit!

It's amazing how you can make so much money off of white fragility. Can't wait to see what white people do when all of Bangladesh is underwater from climate change and 163 million brown people look for a new home!

Hats off to the guy for finding a novel way of scamming sheltered white people out of their money that doesn't involve MLM or oxycontin.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EBB posted:

It's official: Apple is a trillion dollar company :thermidor:

In terms of market cap, or assets?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

God is angry with Jerry Fallwell Jr.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/college-lake-dam-lynchburg-virginia-flooding-tonight-2018-08-02/

quote:

Lynchburg, Virginia could be under 17 feet of water in 7 minutes if dam fails

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's the inflation rate for big macs? And how much of my portfolio should be invested in them?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Trump administration has been ordered to restart DACA.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/daca-judge-john-bates-orders-trump-administration-to-restore-program-today-2018-08-03/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Miloshe posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

A guy in my SERE stick somehow managed it. Some radio show also held a contest "Hold Your Wee to Win a Wii" and some poor mother died from it years back, I believe.

I think it's not too hard to do if you're low on electrolytes.

e: f,b

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yes Maduro, go to war with the most well funded and best equipped military in South America. That'll work out well for you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No but really Ohio is the most boring state in the country.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

really, "trump who knew how to shut the gently caress up" was reagan

and yep, the gipper did gently caress us over

also holds true wrt the peeps who were wary of the smart fascist coming in

it was ron

Reagan ended his presidency in the midst of dementia. Trump started with it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

It wasn't "worst" it was "most boring."

And man if you think Ohio is, you haven't been to Nebraska.

Ohio is the most boring relative to both the number of people that live there and the chance that an average person will end up being sent there for work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

So it's the most boring when compared to.....which states exactly?

Well he mentioned Nebraska, but Nebraska doesn't have any major cities and 11.6 million people living in it. And yet 95% of Ohio could be mistaken for Nebraska.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

Well, what are you looking for in a mjor city that Ohio doesn't have?

Natural beauty of the surrounding area that doesn't involve hundreds of miles of farms periodically interrupted by factory towns?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

So you are saying that for a state with that large of a population it should have more natural beauty?

Also ignoring it's coastline, National and state parks and that almost a third of the state is just forests and rolling hills?

I'm not saying it should have anything. I'm saying that with 4 major cities and 11.6 million people you'd expect more to do. Nobody expects that out of Nebraska and Oklahoma. Cincinnati is nice, though. Although they pretend to be a part of Kentucky.

e: If you like living in Ohio, good on you. Denmark and Singapore are really boring to visit, too, and people really enjoy living there

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 6, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

some of my wife's family lives in Kansas and they are teachers who routinely complain about the collapsing education system but by loving god they'll keep pulling that red lever

I have friends in unions that do the same thing. Some people are just blind to reality.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Making poo poo that insecure actually takes serious effort in TYOOL 2018.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is there medical tourism for childbirth? Because God drat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If we have kids it's going to be after moving to a country where it doesn't cost more than a yacht.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

Adopting is also ridiculously expensive, though more in a "luxury sedan" price bracket instead of the "yacht" bracket. And typically not covered at all by health insurance, I believe.

A few companies (Facebook is one, if I'm remembering correctly) will help offset the adoption expenses. But it's far from the norm.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

After Ammon and Ryan Bundy livestreamed themselves aiming rifles at police and threatened to kill them and were acquitted, you can't blame a prosecutor for going overboard.

Too bad cops aren't given legal immunity from shooting people when they're scared or threatened.

Wait.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 7, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

If they were any shade darker than Lily white we'd of droned them so loving hard

This is the poo poo that gets me about it. But even then, I'm still really surprised they didn't go Ruby Ridge on their asses. Only reason I can think of (other than the obvious aspect of the suspects being white and not brown) is that it was experienced FLEOs and not some beat cop who's too fat to chase after a 16 year old.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

CBP really is the new Gestapo.

I think ICE is the Gestapo and CBP/BP are more akin to the Italian conscripts that super failed to defend Sicily.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

IDK how anyone's free speech is being squelched when they explicitly agreed to abide by the terms of these private companies whose platforms they're using. Maybe one of them should start their own chud social media platform.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Don't forget also that Jeong was targeted in the first place for a lot of harassment because she's a minority woman that writes articles about tech, and tech is the worst culture. So calling out tech stuff as garbage gets you a target on your back.

Hey man it's about integrity in journalism.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

At least there was an active uprising in Libya, as opposed to say, invading a country under falsified pretenses and dragging the entire region into a 15 year long war that wasted trillions of dollars and millions of lives and ultimately accomplished nothing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I re-watched Children of Men last night for the first time in like 10 years and holy poo poo has it taken on a whole new significance in 2018.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/sta...3714%23lastpost

man it would funny if NCIS did this to a grunt barracks but with gear. Whole loving battalion would be gone

Monster energy drinks and dip cans.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That scene was incredible.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The guy who was the first congressman to endorse Trump was just arrested on insider trading charges.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/08/politics/chris-collins-indicted-insider-trading/index.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Can someone explain to me how the KSA pulling its subjects out of Canadian hospitals and sending them home is supposed to inconvenience Canada

I wouldn't be surprised if it was some hosed up hostage-like attempt to make the Canadians feel like they're hurting innocent people by protesting the imprisonment of innocent people.

"Stop hurting our fee fees or we'll subject more of our citizens to living in KSA."

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 8, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

What the devil makes tactical fiber tactical?

A thick casing with some shielding and a threaded coupling for the connector, which is otherwise just a standard LC fiber connector. Add in your 1000% government upcharge from your Service Disabled Alaskan Native Minority Woman Veteran Owned Small Business and you get a $10,000 spool of stuff that costs a few dollars to manufacture.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Buried? Try "lies on the ground for people to trip over".

Real talk, even at the FOBs I was on it was usually strung up along crumbling HESCOs that had been around since Dubya declared Mission Accomplished in Iraq. Bigger bases like BAF had proper conduit run by contractors, but the tactical poo poo was, for the most part, completely exposed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Afghanistan was just a big flea market of gear. After the Poles cleared out of Ghazni and we were tearing down their old buildings, we found three mortar rounds still in their packaging just hanging out, as well as a bunch of frag grenades and rounds for whatever their version of the M203 is.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ellicott City's going to end up abandoned and absorbed into Patapsco Valley park, just like Daniels.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e^: I had my entire lawn dug at the end of April up to fix the sewage line and we got so much rain in May that the grass had entirely grown back by the end of the month.

bird food bathtub posted:

Yeah Ellicott City got turbo-hosed last time around. Two years after a "thousand year flood", they got smashed again. Some places were still rebuilding or had just finished after last time and welp, there it goes again. There's all kinds of bitching about zoning ordinances and property restrictions and stuff because they want to blame it all on how the town was built and grown. I mean, there's probably some truth to that but the lengths people go to, to avoid saying "climate change" is pretty impressive. Pretty sure a fair amount of people are just going to give up on the place this time around.

The article at the end of the thread kind of summarizes it: the combination of bad zoning and climate change has turned something that might have resulted in minor/major flooding into something that's catastrophic. I don't think it's avoiding discussing climate change as much as it is them pointing out that the county hosed everyone in the river valley by approving all of these buildings in the surrounding hills that have large parking lots.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eej posted:

There was a great thread a couple days ago that I can't find anymore cause Twitter search sucks but it was about how Polynesian migration success varied greatly based on what kind of islands they ended up on. On the low islands with minimal freshwater and arable land they could barely survive even though they could walk around and breathe the air and catch fish from the ocean as compared to a space colony.

Also there are massive nickel deposits in Australia that haven't been touched because they're too difficult to reach and thus uneconomical. Space mining is obviously magnitudes more expensive and harder to do.

Basically at this point in time putting people in space is stupid and we should take that money, look at the stars with robots and spend the rest on not turning the only habitual rock in the known galaxy into a thermal shithole

I don't think space exploration and saving Earth are a zero sum game.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pelosi really needs to just step aside for the good of the party at this point.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Pelosi needs to step aside because she represents one of the richest congressional districts in the country, has lovely opinions, and has failed to adapt to the changes in the country. She's a lovely centrist obsessed with decorum, just like Schumer. She is most assuredly a good speaker in the sense that she can control the caucus and such.

This.

hobbesmaster posted:

Then primary her from the left

That's placing the onus on a single district. The speaker of the house represents the entirety of the house of representatives, so they should be elected by the entire body of the house of representatives. Same goes with the minority and majority leader. In other words, it's on Dems to replace her, not Pelosi's district.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 10, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Turkey's economy is competing with Argentina's for the title of most unstable economy in a developed country. The currency dropped 20% today after Trump went issued another decree by tweet increasing the tariffs against Turkish steel and aluminum. And Erdogan's dumb spending spree and fiscal policy isn't helping matters, either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/business/turkey-erdogan-economy-lira.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Also in the news, the Taliban are about to capture Ghazni.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/...WT.nav=top-news

• Locked thread