Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Christ did any of you ever follow white collar criminal proceedings before today or this your first?

Cause a bunch of you are chicken littleing over what really amounts to common judge nitpicks against prosecutors and defense attorneys alike. Toxx if you're so confident Manafort's gonna walk or get a slap on the wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

boop the snoot posted:

You seem very confident in your separation from 2018’s reality so I will toxx that Manafort ends up walking if you toxx for the contrary.

I'll take that action. Non-perma ban?

It's not so much confidence, it's that the events of today, I've seen it happen before with other trials.

The Bundy's getting off was mostly due to the prosecutorial equivalent of going for a Harlem Globetrotters style dunk when a layup was all that was needed to get the job done. I don't see that happening here.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Can't have a new Topps series about the GWOT without this gem

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Smiling Jack posted:

I think alot of it has to do with proper hydration

One time when I was in ROTC, I was at Ft.Knox doing land nav exercises or some poo poo. Anyways, they pair us up with this e5 reservist to lead my fireteam of cadets around the woods for that days course. Anyways, this dude keeps bragging about how he does UFC and he's ripped, but we're going too fast for him and that we need to slow down or else we'll get heatstroke. Also not to drink water too much or we'll cramp up. We then hit our second AP that was next to an aid station and some water buffaloes, so he tells us to go refill our canteens and to wait for him.

We wait about five minutes and then turn around to see him getting wrapped in a wet ice towel and getting an IV of fluids, so he's obviously done for the day. Then this portly reservist major comes over and tells us he'll take over with his for the rest of the day. Despite the guys size, he was able to scramble around the woods no problem because he actually drank water instead of bragging how he's in super shape and don't need no hydration breaks. Also the other fun part of that event was hearing over the radios the constant calls for medics and what not because cadets kept loving dropping from heat stroke or twisting their ankles and poo poo. We came in second out of 65 fireteams or whatever, so that was cool.

Welp, that's my dumb story about hydrating when it's loving hot out. Thanks for reading. :tipshat:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

When I was in IOBC we had a dude go into whatever happens when you drink too much water.

Hashbrowns?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yep. If you read the bloomberg article, it's pretty clear the judge isn't dunking on prosecutors because he's a chud, he's telling them "We get your point. You don't need to make it ten different ways. You've made your point, let's move on".

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Excuse me, are you implying that serious and not biased journalist Glenn Greenwald is purposely misconstruing something someone else said to try make a point?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The Tribune-Sinclair merger is dead.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/tribune-media-ends-3-9-billion-merger-deal-sinclair-n899071

:toot:?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I just want to vent for a moment. I decided to try to post in D&D. Particularly the Local Politics s thread. I figured it may be a good resource of Goons organizing in groups around the country to remove Republicans from power and push for liberal candidates.

It of course was not that. Here is what I learned about the current positions of D&D.

1) there is a huge difference between a liberal and a leftist. A leftist is pure and good and what everyone should be. A liberal is a filthy establishment centrist and an enemy of the people. There is no definition of what makes one liberal or a leftist that the thread could agree on.

2) The pod save America crew are enemies of leftists. This is because one of them may or may not have been involved with a group with pushed for Medicare for all, but wasn’t true single payer. Therefore they are scum

3) The DSA are enemies of the left because they dare work with sworn enemies of the left...the Democrats

4) A nuclear Armed Iran is cool and good.

So yea, I’m sorry to vent. My brain is so broke right now after learning that I, a card carrying DSA member am not a true enough leftist to post in the local politics thread.

Anyway I can tie this all together by saying D&D are a symptom of how hard pushing leftist politics in America is. Because MAGA chuds will crawl over molten glass (as another poster put it) to vote Trump even if he had a legit stroke on camera and told everyone to drink bleach. But leftists will never vote anyone who doesn’t meet alllllll checkboxes in their long, ever growing, and ever changing purity criteria. Sigh.

Yeah I saw your posts in there and didn't realize you were a gip regular at the time. I was gonna chime in but figured I didn't want to deal with the stupidity. There are few non broke brains in that thread, but yeah, it's incredibly infuriating to deal with because as you said anyone who's a liberal or who has worked with establishment Dems on any level is painted as somehow worse than Trump and his ilk. It's stupid but as someone else said, they are a very vocal minority and an annoyingly loud one at that.

I mean everything you need to know about how loving dumb some of the regulars are is when one guy says DSA sucks because they are pro trade union and co-ops rather advocating for seizing the means of production or nationalization.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

For real, Pelosi despite all her faults, was an incredibly effective speaker. Why the gently caress else do you think the GOP constantly uses her as a bogeyman?

You can certainly make the argument now that if/when the dems regain the majority, she should let someone else be speaker, but stop pretending that if she steps aside or whatever, republicans won't find another bogeyman.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which is literally the job of the speaker of the House. Ideological purity is not the job of the Speaker of the House which is why Paul Ryan is so bad at it. He's a Randroid dream come true, but he can't control his own caucus so he was a bad choice for the Republicans.

Yep.

Also again, Pelosi was fine with getting the public option into the house bill, it was only pulled out because Liberman is a turd and wouldn't let the senate vote on that version.

For real, I get that if you want to argue that maybe Dems shouldn't elect her as speaker if she's still in her seat the next time they gain a majority, that's fine, but pretending that her leaving office or not being speaker suddenly solves the problem with GOP messaging is pants on the head retarded. You guys know they just find something else to harp about.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Turtle man gets results

As did Pelosi, Reid, and Boehner.

Ryan has issues getting poo poo done, and it's not because Democratic voters can't stand him.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Our stable allies!

One of you law talkers want to tell me what this means?
https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1027940357064065025

Mueller had recently requested that part of the trial remain closed and in secret so as to not publicly disclose evidence that he'd rather not make public at this time (related to a future indictment possibly).

My guess it's in relation to that, but I'll wait for Popehat's take.

EDIT: :haw:
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1027944199050514432

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Eating paper to own the libs.

https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1027976045964800011

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

This made me :laffo:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vasudus posted:

:lol: two coworkers went to the rally to counterprotest. Highlights include standing next to a 90+ year old in a walker and their service uniform from WW2 who was there because "they told me there were Nazis here" and a 6'8" ripped black dude in a shirt that read "good night alt right"

Fuckin' "Greatest Generation" right there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

In my head cannon it's the same black WW2 vet that gets posted with his Thompson all the time.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

FBI fired Peter Strzok.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.528fe1a13be8

Trump is gonna be even more insufferable than usual today.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

quote:

“I was there because I wanted to see a fitting memorial to everyone who has died in every terrorist incident everywhere, because we have to end it. You cannot pursue peace by a cycle of violence. They only way you pursue peace is by a cycle of dialogue.”

:thunk:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I think what annoys me about that picture the most is how loving dumb they all look trying to look tough, the president even more so than usual.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The Prosecution has come to rest in Manafort's Trial. Defense is up to bat now.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...age%2Fstory-ans

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EBB posted:

wouldn't describe free bud light as winning

Never look a gift beer in the mouth.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I think I wrote some effortpost in a CE thread a while ago why I believe "Nazi" should be reserved to the actual swastika-carrying, jew-hating shitbags. So, like the Charlottesville dudes, that SS-biker at Trump's side, the actual loving Nazi party (whatever it's called in the US), clansmen (let's throw in elected politicians sympathizing with Nazis for good measure) etc. The way "Nazi" has been thrown around casually in the past decade, or hell, even during the Bush administration normalizes the word and takes away from the impact it should have.

If anyone needs an answer like "Define Nazi" as a litmus test to identify Nazis, they're loving stupid.

Yeah, I've had the same outlook for awhile. It's super infuriating to deal with too as a guy who studied a ton of stuff about Nazi Germany for my history degree. Because as lovely as some people are (Bush, Cheney, etc.) calling them Nazis immediately trivializes the argument as to why they are bad people, and it also trivializes the horrific poo poo the Nazis did.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 14, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EBB posted:

So what do we call the Proud Boys instead? Neo-Fascists?

I'd say that's an adequate name for them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

As Nero Danced posted:

Also the theranos wiki page is hilarious to read. They didn't think anything very far ahead, did they?

At the very least, when Steven Soderbergh makes a movie about it, it'll be a fun watch.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MA-Horus posted:

I'm so loving glad I had a chance to see Egypt before it all went to poo poo. 100% worth it too, goddamn what a place.

When you go into the great pyramid and you're chilling in Khufu's burial chamber and it's this black granite vacuum of sound and you realize that there is as much time between the building of that pyramid and the battle of Cannae as there is between Caesar's murder and modern times. It was loving ancient to people who's writings we study in ancient history. My brain had trouble processing that for a few minutes.

Spoiler alert, you can still go to Egypt and see this poo poo (for now) and be fine.

My Trump voting in-laws went in February of this year and both came back and went from "All Muslims want to kill us are bad and are terrible!" to "Well actually, muslims are mostly good people and they hate ISIS more than we do in some cases, who knew?!?"

Seriously, I get that poo poo is hosed up and bullshit, but some of you are starting to sound like my loving mom. Take some risks, enjoy the world for what it is while you still can.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MA-Horus posted:

Ease up homeboy, you're probably fine if you're with a tour-group or towards the Red Sea but I'll be hosed if I'm going down towards Aswan by myself.

My bad, wasn't trying to rag on you alone or anything...I just often run into the "It's dangerous to go to places other than Western Europe and North America!" chat when it's usually massively overblown. Are there risks? Most definitely, but I'd say most of the time you're fine so long as you're not a complete idiot.

Egypt, yeah, tourgroups or with locals you know and trust.

Jordan, did that poo poo solo and I had no issues.

FAUXTON posted:

Visiting Egypt is probably about as safe as visiting Jordan, it's cool stuff like Palmyra in Syria and Persepolis in Iran that are gonna be difficult.

Not to mention all the real cool Mesopotamian bronze age/pre-bronze age stuff that's scattered all over in Iraq/Syria.

I would have loved to visited Palmyra or even check out Saladin's tomb, but lol to that ever happening anytime soon.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EBB posted:

Informal poll: are you all fine with the current level of shitposting/white noise in this thread, or is it disruptive?

Nah, it's fine for the most part. But if it gets any louder, then maybe clamp down, idk.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I lived in Egypt from 2009 to late 2010. I went back in early 2014 after the coup, and frankly, I’d have a hard time feeling comfortable going back given the country’s absolutely abysmal human rights record under Sisi. It’s a pretty sad and creepy place if you dig just beneath the surface or go anywhere outside of the major tourist areas.

Yeah that's probably the best assessment. Co-worker of mine grew up in Egypt (her dad is a USG employee, her mom is a local) and her family stopped going back for a few years due to the issues going on there after the coup. I think they *just* started going back for twice a year visits, but they no longer live there full time.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Holy poo poo.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1030171099252891650

:stare:

That's a proper "Respectfully, go gently caress yourself, sir." if I've ever seen one.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Niton posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1030197419903016961

I don't really have anything to add, simultaneously excited and nervous as to what the jury could possibly be asking at 5 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stIvLRJcqCE

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

looks like I'm not going to be the toxx victim then...*cough* Handsome Ralph *cough*

I'm following Popehat's lead on this...anyone telling you what those notes mean is full of poo poo. :colbert:

I'm still confident that he get's convicted, maybe not on every charge, but enough that he's going away for the rest of his life.

EDIT: Yeah, he's got 18 charges against him in this trial. I think it's foolish to expect every single one of those charges to stick considering the average juror, but I don't think he walks on all 18.
https://twitter.com/davidjoachim/status/1030162922780143617

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

boop the snoot posted:

Are you still willing to take this toxx?

Yep.

Hot Karl Marx and I reaffirmed our toxxes a page ago. But for the record, Manafort doesn't walk out of that court room a free man when the jury reaches a verdict. If he does, I'll eat a weeks probation. :toxx: I'm not foolhardy enough to toxx whether he gets convicted on all 18 counts or only a couple counts though.

There's a part of me that wants to believe Mattis is doing this on purpose because he thinks the whole thing is retarded, sees the possible writing on the wall and lol at a democratic congress letting this thing just happen without any push back.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

joat mon posted:

Because he's been jailed on the DC Circuit case.

Lol I kinda forgot about that.

Like he actually gets a convicted at this trial (presumably sentencing won't happen for awhile).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

DrHub posted:

But it's free... :thunk:

For the veteran, but anyone with them that's not a vet pays full price. They count on a vet bringing family or friends with them, that's where it's :capitalism:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1030411599973167104

:laffo:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1030136030945595397

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vasudus posted:

Solution: make every American play XCOM and then ask them how confident they are with 64% odds.

:bisonyes:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Oh man running that race just cause :lol:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

BigDave posted:

Anyone want to :toxx: for a verdict?

$20 animal shelter donation on Manafort to be convicted.

I already :toxx: against Hot Karl Marx a few days ago that he will get convicted. If Hot Karl Marx is down for it, I'll donate to a humane society or shelter of his choosing if he walks and vice versa.

I mean that way the doggos win either way. :3:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

who the gently caress is buying these? My wife and I are DINKs and I make good money and she makes medium money and... we're not even close.

Same boat here. At this rate, we're planning on buying in MD in PG County or something because we could give a poo poo about schools since we're not having kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

psydude posted:

Find a place near the MARC line in Bowie or Laurel so you don't have to deal with 50 or 295.

Yeah we looked around Bowie a little bit. Laurel too. She's insistent that we get something with a couple of acres, so that kinda hamstrings us a little bit as far as choices go.

But I will say if you don't give a gently caress about schools, it's MUCH easier to find an affordable place.

• Locked thread