Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If not for the Kyle Boller disaster the Ravens wouldn't be a perennial playoff team that has won two Superbowls, the horror

Substandard posted:

He's #1 for talking poo poo, which is why I like him.

#1 at crying on the bench after losing to the Lions ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Melvin Ingram is my favorite defender

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Intruder posted:

If not for the Kyle Boller disaster the Ravens wouldn't be a perennial playoff team that has won two Superbowls, the horror

We're not a perennial playoff team anymore. And it's not that the Ravens' showing was bad, it's that they would have been the league's top franchise if Billick hadn't messed up the QB position so badly. But even he might not have been able to mess it up if they hadn't overachieved in 2002. Even after Ray Lewis went down we did surprisingly well. But had we been the league's worst as many expected, we woulda had Carson Palmer. We would have missed Suggs. But Palmer would have been amazing for this franchise and him at QB with Jamal at RB, and Ray Lewis on defense, would have been able to stand up to the Patriots. And anyone else for that matter.

If our 2002 showing is the same, then we should have done what we could to keep Jeff Blake(unless he retired I can't remember), and if not him then don't draft Boller and get Kurt Warner or Kerry Collins instead. Then the next year you had three great QBs you can potentially trade for. But I am glad we didn't end up with Roethlisberger even if he is a good QB.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

how exactly would you have gotten carson palmer

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imagine looking back at Carson Palmer's career and thinking that having him would have made your team the Patriots

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Intruder posted:

Imagine looking back at Carson Palmer's career and thinking that having him would have made your team the Patriots

He was really great before the Kimo Von Oehlhoffen injury in the playoffs. Plus it wouldn't just be about Palmer. We had a killer defense plus Jamal Lewis. We only needed someone competent and with Palmer we had a legitimate top QB. Plus Brady wasn't even amazing in those years either. Remember back then he had a great defense plus Corey Dillon at RB. With Palmer on the 06 Ravens that team could have pushed for 19-0.

We'd get him because we could've been the #1 overall selection in the 2003 draft. Palmer was picked first overall then Leftwich. Billick traded up for Boller thinking that Boller would've been a top guy like that if he had entered the following year.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Intruder posted:

Carson Palmer was pretty good?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

He was really great before the Kimo Von Oehlhoffen injury in the playoffs. Plus it wouldn't just be about Palmer. We had a killer defense plus Jamal Lewis. We only needed someone competent and with Palmer we had a legitimate top QB. Plus Brady wasn't even amazing in those years either. Remember back then he had a great defense plus Corey Dillon at RB. With Palmer on the 06 Ravens that team could have pushed for 19-0.

We'd get him because we could've been the #1 overall selection in the 2003 draft. Palmer was picked first overall then Leftwich. Billick traded up for Boller thinking that Boller would've been a top guy like that if he had entered the following year.

I'm gonna go with no, you would not have been the #1 pick over the 2-14 Bengals

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Palmer was "pretty good" but never good enough to turn a team into the perennially best team in the AFC. And if you have Palmer, like you mentioned you don't have Suggs so talking about how great your defense was three years later is silly. You're probably also improved enough to not get Ngata

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a neat cape posted:

I'm gonna go with no, you would not have been the #1 pick over the 2-14 Bengals

It doesn't seem likely looking back. But the 2002 Ravens were 7-9. We also beat the Bengals twice, and neither game was a blowout by any means. The 2002 Ravens were projected by many to be the worst team in football that year. If we had underperformed just a little more say that makes us lose both those games to the Bengals. Now they're 4-12 and we're 5-11. That team overperformed by a lot of games due to a few factors. But if we hadn't had Jeff Blake after Ray Lewis went down? A lot would have gone differently.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1035973285853491200

Oh gently caress, :laffo:, they had to give a second rounder to the Bears.

Not a bad haul in return, but drat.

This Ann Killion quote:

quote:

Give the Raiders this much.

They are sure making that move to Las Vegas a lot more palatable.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/ar...m_medium=social

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 1, 2018

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Intruder posted:

Palmer was "pretty good" but never good enough to turn a team into the perennially best team in the AFC. And if you have Palmer, like you mentioned you don't have Suggs so talking about how great your defense was three years later is silly. You're probably also improved enough to not get Ngata

All the Ravens needed was a competent QB, and Palmer was much better than that around that time. With the broken shell of McNair the 2006 Ravens were amazing.

Yes we might've missed Suggs and Ngata. But this was during Newsome's prime where he was so good at getting great defensive players all through the draft.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

It doesn't seem likely looking back. But the 2002 Ravens were 7-9. We also beat the Bengals twice, and neither game was a blowout by any means. The 2002 Ravens were projected by many to be the worst team in football that year. If we had underperformed just a little more say that makes us lose both those games to the Bengals. Now they're 4-12 and we're 5-11. That team overperformed by a lot of games due to a few factors. But if we hadn't had Jeff Blake after Ray Lewis went down? A lot would have gone differently.

The Lions also went 3-13 and the Texans 4-12

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
why are you melting over being unable to draft carson palmer

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That's less than I thought it was going to be. I wonder if the Packers could've gotten him if they offered both 2019 first rounders? Surely that would've been worth more to the Raiders than a 2019 and a 2020.

Eh, anyway I'm over it. Packers have plenty of cap room now and two first rounders in what should be a deep draft for pass rusher. Good to go.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Intruder posted:

The Lions also went 3-13 and the Texans 4-12

They both had first round QBs already with Harrington and Carr. I doubt if either would have taken Palmer. Neither team took Leftwich, who was considered an amazing prospect just behind Palmer.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
there's little difference between the bears 2020 1st and the raiders 2020 2nd

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The top 5 defensive players in the NFL is me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

They both had first round QBs already with Harrington and Carr. I doubt if either would have taken Palmer. Neither team took Leftwich, who was considered an amazing prospect just behind Palmer.

Bears were 4-12. And either team could have traded back

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around thinking Carson 1-3 in the playoffs Palmer was the missing piece of a dynasty

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Intruder posted:

Bears were 4-12. And either team could have traded back

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around thinking Carson 1-3 in the playoffs Palmer was the missing piece of a dynasty

Palmer wasn't the only player on those teams ya know. Plus at 36 with the Cardinals he put on an amazing season. The potential was there with him, and on an amazing defensive team like the Ravens he could have done a lot. Imagine him with Derrick Mason and Todd Heap. Maybe Terrell Owens might've wanted to come to Baltimore if Palmer had been QB instead of Boller. Now imagine that team.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
THE STEELERS CUT LANDRY JONES YOU MOTHERFUCKRES AHHHHHHHHH

I'm so happy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You're imagining that team without taking into account the subtractions from it. You're talking up how amazing their defense was without taking into account subtracting Suggs and Ngata, two of its very best pieces, from it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Intruder posted:

You're imagining that team without taking into account the subtractions from it. You're talking up how amazing their defense was without taking into account subtracting Suggs and Ngata, two of its very best pieces, from it

We'd still have Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, plus like I mentioned Ozzie Newsome was amazing at stocking defense in this period and he would have found someone to fill those positions and Palmer at QB would have made up for it. Palmer in 2005 and 2006 was better than Brady had ever been. Brady really didn't become a great QB until 2007. The only reason Brady was even in top QB conversations around those times was because "Wins" which was largely caused by great defense and running game. Plus cheating against the Colts and mugging their receivers that whole game.

Palmer/Owens/Todd Heap/Jamal Lewis with our defense(even minus Suggs), would have been unbelievably good. And absolutely the best team of the era. Without injuries that team is the dominant team.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

say no to bats posted:

Has to be.

Raiders are on the hook for 350 mil in 35 mil annual installments starting in 2019 for the relocation fee. ~850 million for their end of the stadium financing on loans, ~300 million more contributed to the stadium fund by their estimated hopes for licensing, sponsorships, naming rights and PSLs sold, and another ~80-100 million for a practice facility.

Mark Davis is absolutely strapped as the Raiders, which last I saw he owns 47% of only, are his everything. One of the few remaining NFL owners who isn't a billionaire with some other lucrative business interest(s) prior to joining the club. Gruden getting that contract, regardless of any outs and language, suggests they have a very specific long term vision that might not be purely about Just Win, Baby.

Carr is legit a very good QB though so there's still hope for Raiders fans for now. Then again, division rival Philip Rivers has been almost invisible for how great he has been, has only one sub-4000 yard season this decade and has one playoff appearance to show for it back in 2013 so YMMV.

Speaking of, reviewing Rivers career makes me depressed. What a colossal loving waste of his talent. It reminds me of the theory some of my fellow Browns fans used to push that a great QB would single handedly fix everything. Like if they plopped peak Peyton or Rodgers or whomever onto the team they'd go from a 4 (this is awhile ago ok?) win team to a 12 win playoff behemoth every year instantly no matter how bad the coaching or defense or offensive talent.

Yeah, not so much.

There is no bank in the world that won't loan money secured by an NFL franchise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I'm so happy

The Hack is available to fill your need.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

We'd still have Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, plus like I mentioned Ozzie Newsome was amazing at stocking defense in this period and he would have found someone to fill those positions and Palmer at QB would have made up for it. Palmer in 2005 and 2006 was better than Brady had ever been. Brady really didn't become a great QB until 2007. The only reason Brady was even in top QB conversations around those times was because "Wins" which was largely caused by great defense and running game. Plus cheating against the Colts and mugging their receivers that whole game.

Palmer/Owens/Todd Heap/Jamal Lewis with our defense(even minus Suggs), would have been unbelievably good. And absolutely the best team of the era. Without injuries that team is the dominant team.

"I just assume the defense would be exactly as good without two of its best players" got it

lol I'm just imagining alternate universe Kawalimus where the Ravens win it all in 2006 with Palmer but because two of their defensive stalwarts are absent the defense doesn't hold up like it did in reality, and he whines about how if they had stuck with their philosophy of having a strong defense instead of chasing a QB they'd be the Patriots

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I'm so happy

:rip: Landry Jones.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

CharlestheHammer posted:

Or Kaepernick.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Intruder posted:

"I just assume the defense would be exactly as good without two of its best players" got it

lol I'm just imagining alternate universe Kawalimus where the Ravens win it all in 2006 with Palmer but because two of their defensive stalwarts are absent the defense doesn't hold up like it did in reality, and he whines about how if they had stuck with their philosophy of having a strong defense instead of chasing a QB they'd be the Patriots

We did chase a QB. The same year we got Suggs. We just chased Boller. And we chased a receiver too! That was Terrell Owens. If we'd had someone not Kyle Boller he might've been excited to come here instead of wanting to go elsewhere. It's not like we completely neglected the offense in favor of defense. You can't just ignore how good Newsome was in those days. Plus you're ignoring that even without Suggs and Ngata, there are still two hall of famers in their primes on that defense!

Also if we're the 2-14 team in 2002, we don't give up our 2004 draft pick so we even have an extra guy from that. Vince Wilfork went 21st in that draft and it's conceivable the Ravens could have gotten him. That pick even came from the Ravens, apparently. Plus he went to Miami which is where Reed and Lewis were from. Wilfork would have almost certainly been a Raven.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 1, 2018

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Ahahahaa the Raiders traded for AJ McCarron

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1035981682787188738?s=19

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Come on Gruden give up more than Hue was going to!!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

why would anyone want him

he's worse than nathan peterman

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hope it's for Carr

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
:siren:kicker news:siren:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1035983575982768128?s=19

Still the second most accurate kicker in NFL history.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sorry, we have Mason Rudolph and literal rocket scientist Josh Dobbs

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Tom Sellout posted:

:siren:kicker news:siren:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1035983575982768128?s=19

Still the second most accurate kicker in NFL history.

what nickname am i suppose to give to brett maher

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Jonathan Fisk posted:

why would anyone want him

he's worse than nathan peterman

I guarantee you that Gruden will cite his "never-give-up"-ness from that 4th quarter of the ever-important Final Preseason Game

It's like catnip for corny Pop Warner coaches

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

incompetent posted:

what nickname am i suppose to give to brett maher

i've been calling him "Camp Leg" for at least a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Volkerball posted:

Richard Seymour hit the ground running when he got traded to the raiders a few days before the first game of the season. Shove mans out of way and kill mans behind him isn't rocket science.

Yeah it really isn't. The lingo for alignments and assignments are probably a bit different but in the end it's the same poo poo he's been doing for years, all he has to learn are the words and even that is semi-optional. Fill your gap, stop the run, get after the quarterback

Intruder posted:

But Aaron Donald got a contract

lol Raiders

The notable difference there is that like the Bears, the Rams still have their QB on a rookie contract.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I'm so happy

They pretty much had to, right? Did they keep Dobbs and Rudolph or just one of those?

xbilkis posted:

If the Bears are confident in Trubisky, they've got $ and a real bad need for an impact defensive player. Get on board the "go all-in while you've got a rookie contract QB" bandwagon

Just wanted to say good call my man

• Locked thread