Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Could someone sell me on this game?

RPG experience:
DnD 3.5, 4e, 5e, DCC, LotFP mostly

Favorite RPGs: DCC, LotFP(for simplicity and easily to adapt/change rules)

The obvious sale point for most people is have you ever played Warhammer Fantasy Battle? Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay started out as an RPG set in the rich and detailed Warhammer Fantasy setting with rules that were easy to map from one game to the other, and the ability to drop your PCs into major battles. And despite being written in 1986 at about the same time as the Dragonlance saga the first four parts of The Enemy Within campaign still stand up as one of the best adventure paths in history and certainly superior to anything Paizo has ever written.

The rules are little you will be unfamiliar with - there's a fairly notorious Ryan Dancey review of WFRP 2e in which he praises how it had taken many of the design innovations from d20. The only problem with that review? Every single point he picked out as being like d20 (or like d20 just using a percentile dice rather than a d20) actually came from WFRP 1e and 1986.

The setting and the role of PCs is one you should enjoy if DCC is one of your favourites - you really do start at the bottom even if with no funnel; the iconic starting WFRP character is the ratcatcher with a small but vicious dog - and we mean a literal ratcatcher as a starting class. We also have a magic system that will cause regular side effects up to and including summoning hostile demons independently of whether the spell succeeded (although the more power you use the more likely it is that you take some sort of backlash). It's also the sort of setting where there are cults everywhere (and they can summon demons), where there is a secret race of ratmen living in the sewers that do not officially exist (and there's magic keeping it that way), and in which the communion wine is literally more likely to give you the galloping trots than it is to do anything to protect you from demons.

What do you want to hear more about? (Bear in mind that it's a new edition so we don't know everything yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Part of whether I'd allow a slayer to carry a shield would depend on how the shield was used. A shield strapped to the arm is purely defensive and really wouldn't be slayer-ish. But a round viking shield held in the centre that's used as an edge-on offensive weapon to create the openings your sword or axe exploits I can see being a slayer weapon. Here's a video on how the style probably worked (there are no manuals before the 15th century so it's close to experimental archaeology).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

So, could someone please explain to me what the deal was with WHFRP 3e, and which books in it might be worth reading to see how it actually worked? Apparently it got reprinted at some point to be more of a "stand-alone" game, but I'm not clear on how the cards and everything actually fit into it.

• Start with D&D 4e as your base game, breaking the link with Warhammer Fantasy Battle (and pissing off two parts of your base)
  • Replace the levels with a career system because it's WFRP.
  • Replace D&D dice with the prototype for Star Wars: Edge of Empire dice
  • Add in two stances, conservative and reckless. If you're in conservative stance replace your attribute dice with green dice, if in reckless red dice (both of which are better than your default dice but come with drawbacks)
  • Print out all the power cards and put them in the box (so you have to sort through the things and there's no computer character builder)
  • Make each power card double sided, one side for conservative stance and one for reckless. In general basic actions are equal for both but for more advanced maneuvers conservative stance is safer but requires three rather than two successes for an overwhelming success - but sometimes it's entirely different moves (so the shield block move might be a parry for you in conservative stance and using your shield to defend someone else in reckless; this is most often done for spells)
  • Add in a few innovations that would appear in some of the best games of the next ten years; the initiative system was one step away from popcorn initiative, and you also had a party card like the Blades in the Dark crew types.

There's a hell of a lot there, much of it before its time and it's in desperate need of something like the 4e character builder and the 4e monster maker (no MM3 on a business card here!) I've run a campaign in it and, ironically, it's a better theatre of the mind system than D&D 5e - but I'm glad I was running a pregen module rather than trying to write my own.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

my players want me to DM WFRP.

What's a good edition? I tend to veer towards more of the OSR-style stuff, I like simple rulesets you can build upon. The only literal things I know about WHFRP is:
- small but vicious dog meme
- 3e is bad
- there's a retroclone called Zweihander

3e is very different, not bad. For comparison FFG Star Wars is a watered down version. I like it a lot in many ways - but it has more pieces of crap to hand out than any other RPG I can think of. I also see a lot of its good parts having gone into Blades in the Dark years later; everything from team sheets to stances.

You probably want 2e. 1e is in some ways awesome, but the magic system is dull spell points. And 4e breaks as much as it fixes. It's a bit heavy for an OSR fan although is gritty in the right ways. In fact if you want a gritty game where players get not as many injuries as advances it may be what you are looking for.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

It's been kinda true in the past. Khorne has always had murderous berserkers in his remit but he also has at various points also had more honourable warrior societies that sought battle. Of course some of that may have been subversion of some of the myths round warrior societies protecting against barbarians (it's been too long since I had any of the relevant books).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I read Tribes and Tribulations and, while it's not exactly badly put together, it's just... kind of boring? My impression is that it's boring because Warhammer Fantasy orcs are just not allowed to be wacky and gonzo like 40K and Age of Sigmar orks, and so they're just kind of... there. They don't really add anything to the mix that basic Tolkien orcs don't have, and as a result they probably didn't merit their own book.

(I don't really disagree with the take on it, though, because Warhammer Fantasy doesn't really need another wacky race on top of the Skaven, because it would really disrupt the tone.)

I find this weird to be honest. Most of the wackiness is in the goblins rather than the orcs - but with things like the Bat Winged Loony Lobbers (doom divers) and the ball and chain fanatics, plus the drugs and araknarok spiders and even Snotling Pump Wagons there's plenty of wacky and gonzo in Warhammer Fantasy greenskins. And that's not even getting in to Blood Bowl. Plus the Waaaghhhs and animosity.

That said the orcs themselves were originally a parody of something that's disappeared.