Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Finished our playthrough of Soltice Rain. It was pretty awesome. I really enjoyed playing with the different scenarios and enemy groups as the GM. My players had a good time messing around with different build ideas, I had ended up letting them choose a LL2 frame for the second mission.

The very final battle was pretty nuts. The teleporting operator was hard to deal with up until I suggested grappling him might work. He failed escaping from that grapple multiple times and was promptly shot up. Being able to have him warp up to a good position, do pretty consistent damage, and then teleport out of LOS was very hard to deal with until he was held down

All in all it indeed was a fantastic intro scenario. Would highly recommend.

I'm going to GM this module as the introduction to my table for the Lancer system. I've build the NPCs in Comp/Con and it seems like a lot of different units to keep track of regarding systems and traits. How did you keep track of everything? Any advice for the first mission's encounters?

Asking the thread as a whole - Any tips for someone who just bought the core book the other week?

I might put together my own DM screen, what's the charts or definitions you always find yourselves looking up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

My table didn't enjoy Solstice Rain's encounters very much...

How so? I'm open to adjusting them if there's a way to make it easier or more engaging for new players.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I've got the initial draft of my GM screen I'm making. The first four panels face the GM and the last two would face the table.

Did I get anything wrong? I had to rewrite a lot of stuff so it could fit and my table and I are completely new to Lancer so I don't want to get stuff wrong.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

bewilderment posted:

You can probably squeeze in the almost full wording for brace, "taking half damage in exchange for being able to do one quick action and nothing else next turn".

In 90% of cases choosing to brace is not a great option anyway.

Yes, I foresee Brace as only being used to prevent massive damage or total destruction. I think I can cram in the final free line space to add a second row of text for this:

"Gain RESISTANCE to all damage, burn and heat from an attack and +1 Difficulty to incoming attacks until the
end of your next turn, at the cost of all reactions and taking only one QUICK ACTION next turn. 1/round"

I posted this to the Lancer subreddit and they noticed I had "ARCHING" instead of "ARCING" and it got me thinking of a mission where a smart weapon becomes an arch-villain.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Looks good, but you have "ordinance" on the fifth page instead of "ordnance"

Thanks, I get stuff like that wrong all the time. I've learned to just post and call upon the wisdom of the Internet to fix my grammar and typos.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Venture Bros style Lancering could be amazing.

Barony of Calamitous Intent, flash clones, mecha-shiva... It's all there, I might just use that as a nugget to start my own missions.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Lancer Status Tabs for Printing

I made these to help me and my table keep track of the various statues and conditions as we learn the game. I had them printed on glossy cover paper that provides rigidity and resilience as they'll be handled frequently. You can put them on top of paper stand-ins or beside the units on the table. It only cost me a few dollars to print the 3 pages at my local copy shop.

I didn't bother making one for "Prone" as we'll just tip over the mini to represent that.
COMP/CON Icon Markers from Batvision were used to make these.

It's up already on the Lancer Resource Hub & Pilot.net Resrouce hub. The link to the PDF can be found on this post.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 8, 2024

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah, I was lazy and just pasted everything across the page instead of mixing types across a column. I probably could have saved a page cutting down on the lesser used statues.

I don't think I'll ever need more than 1 Down and Out or Bolstered, but it's easy to print. For $3 and change at my local print shop, I think it's a pretty good deal to just have more tokens then I'll ever need.

I'll have my DM screen posted in a few weeks. I got the prints at the same time, but waiting for DnD to finish before I mount them to the GM screen.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/6Kwf6H8

Finished my GM Screen I posted earlier. Thanks to everyone for the corrections and suggestions. My table starts in a little over a week!

You can find the downloadable PDF here:
https://lancer-valkyrion.notion.site/Lancer-GM-Screen-8b9ced86af004fb48de5f90821cd6c35

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

I think I hosed up. I TPK'd my players in the first mission of Solstice Rain, in the final combat. They just didn't have any coordination or the right loadout to handle Downpour.

Can you go into more details about it? I'm starting as a GM new to the system and we're doing Solstice Rain to start.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

McKilligan posted:

There's also a shitload of fully-customized NPC Factions that can be downloaded en masse, so you can have mooks with a unified aesthetic.
I've just started a campaign and my players loved the paper stands. I linked them to your site so they could make their own Everests for next week. Thanks for this amazing resource!

Just had one question - I downloaded some of the Operation Solstice Rain faction packs but how do I set them up for printing? The files inside look like they're primed for VTT use, but we're on a physical table. I figured I can Photoshop my around it if needed, but if there's a better way it would save a lot of time.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Amechwarrior posted:

I downloaded some of the Operation Solstice Rain faction packs but how do I set them up for printing?

McKilligan posted:

Yeah, I'm afraid the faction packs are mostly optimized for VTT, so you'd need to organize them on an A4 canvas yourself if you want to print them. Don't forget to flip 'em vertically so you can have two-sided tokens.

So what I did was set my editor to a 8.5x11in canvas, took a snapshot of a normal Retrograde print of the same paper size and over laid it. I traced the 3x standard size cut boxes, then inserted the needed OSR units in normal and vertical inverted. Printed out the first combat's worth and should be able to build the rest over the next few weeks.

If anyone is interested in the files, quote this post or send a PM.

As for Retrograde printing output - No idea how hard of an ask this is, but I wish it could print more than 3 per page. Either putting 4 in a row and printing closer to the edges or putting one sideways along the bottom. There's a lot of wasted paper with just 3 tokens per page (8.5x11 US printed in landscape).

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Gildiss posted:

And the printing started out with our original 150px fantasy tokens, but now the mechs all start at 250px and just go up from there, so it is not nearly as efficient as it used to be for printing.
You could try adjusting the scale on the print page options, can fit 6 250px guys on there in that case. However, the quality may suffer.

Oh, I never considered I might be printing them at the incorrect scale. I was wondering why the square felt so big on my battlemat (1 in hex flat-to-flat) and had trimmed off the whitespace along the sides of my size 1 units. It's great for size 2 as it though. I noticed size 2 fills be box pretty well so I thought that was why it was that size/scale. For Battletech maps (1.25in hexes) it's not as much of a problem. For the rest of my OSR prints, I'll just cram as many as can fit on a page.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I finally got to start my table's Lancer campaign. We managed to get through OSR mission 1, along with about an hour of RP at the start, all in 4h45m. Does that sound like about right or are we a bit slow? The turns picked up in pace after a few rounds when they got a better grasp of their basics.

They really didn't work together for the first two turns and they realized they needed to focus down targets after seeing the wave of NPCs nearing the Holdout Zone. They managed to pull out the win after coming together to overheat+lock+HMG the Bastion with a critical hit that turned the tide of battle. Our chomolungma player also popped his core at the perfect place to hack everyone. They ended up with like 3 turret drones deployed and those served to just dog pile one target with 9 damage after whatever the triggering attack hit. I'm going to need to print more blue force turret drones. I did take it easy on them in only deploying the Bombard in Round 5 and deployed the Pyro early, but really far away.

I think they'll learn they need to ration their limited use stuff as we go into fights 2 and 3 before they can full repair. I feel like that last battle is going to be running on zero repairs left at the rate they're going. But it's everyone's first time playing, even for me. Overall we had fun and they came away with a basic grasp of what is effective. Next session I'll play a little smarter with enemy activations and focus.

The GM screen and status tabs I posted here were really useful. I almost ran out of "Danger Zone" after the core pop mass-hacking. We even used a Bolster tab! It failed to clear the burn though...

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Been using the retrograde minis and cutting out a lot of stuff and had an idea.

For half size units - I trim down the whitespace above and below the unit so they're standing half as tall as a full length size 1 or 2 stand. For my custom prints, I've just started placing them just below the centerfold line so I don't have to glue/trim them like the stock printouts where they're placed in the middle.

No idea how feasible it would be, but a neat printing feature for half size units would be to have them shifted up to the fold line.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I have a Chessex battlemat that's around 30x50 hexes and a ton of Battletech maps and minis. Drawing out a map for Solstice Rain takes a very long time. I can't wait until we finish it and I can move to BT maps and some cut out paper buildings. Right now I'm using retrograde minis paper cutouts for OPFOR as there's a OSR faction set for them.

I use a tablet with Comp/Con in desktop mode for NPCs and my players use I the mobile version for their characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I just finished Op. Solstice Rain as a new GM and if Comp/Con had the ability to generate the full info block status cards from the mission runner ( during combat rounds) that would be great. Right now I have to keep a separate tab open with the NPC roster to get the full info. I paste it to our discord when they scan an enemy, but I have to edit in the current HP/heat/etc as I don't see that function in the mission runner.