Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lowtax be the nathan for you of the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
I've never watched Infowars, and it doesn't matter how canerous and stupid it is/was, the chilling effect of just shutting someone down is far too much power for the tech companies to wield in any kind of coordinated or collective matter. We let the Westoborough Baptist Church spew their insane stupidity on the principle of defending to the death, your right to say [thing], because free speech matters.

gently caress Twitter and their stupid ban reasons, but I disagree with the idea of just calling this a slippery slope argument and calling it a day. This is more like a test fire of a new weapon, an Internet Manhattan Project that further demonstrates a concentration of potential power that could have real negative repercussions for genuine debate.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Read your new article, had a good laugh, and even went through the horrible agony of turning off my ad-blocker, and even clicking an ad that wasn't at all obnoxious really, even though I had no intention of buying anything.

I don't think people are quite realizing that reddit is more popular these days, but since reddit is trash, we should probably try and keep SA going, because we all end up here once we're intoxicated.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lowtax posted:

Thank you to everybody here encouraging me, it seriously means a ton to me. Also anti-thank you to the people discussing 4chan for some unimaginable issue.

:hmmyes:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Swartz posted:

Read your new article, had a good laugh, and even went through the horrible agony of turning off my ad-blocker, and even clicking an ad that wasn't at all obnoxious really, even though I had no intention of buying anything.

I don't think people are quite realizing that reddit is more popular these days, but since reddit is trash, we should probably try and keep SA going, because we all end up here once we're intoxicated.

Then get banned for drunk posting.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

bitmap posted:

what if you pick a new pseudonym for twitter and WE'LL all know and follow you but whoever spazzes out with the banhammer over twitter won't!
Because Twitter loving sucks and I never realized how much I hated it until I got banned. It's a seething cauldron of unfunny negativity.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Swartz posted:

I'm fairly certain 100% of everybody realizes reddit is more popular than SA.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lowtax posted:

Because Twitter loving sucks and I never realized how much I hated it until I got banned. It's a seething cauldron of unfunny negativity.

Are you trying to revive the front page in general? Id love to see some of the photoshop threads and other good content make it on there.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lowtax posted:

funny how that works

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Are you trying to revive the front page in general? Id love to see some of the photoshop threads and other good content make it on there.
Nah, I was just mainly challenging myself to see if I could start writing, and enjoying it again. But I still would like to revive a lot of front page stuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Squish posted:

This is more like a test fire of a new weapon, an Internet Manhattan Project that further demonstrates a concentration of potential power that could have real negative repercussions for genuine debate.

lol

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lowtax posted:

Nah, I was just mainly challenging myself to see if I could start writing, and enjoying it again. But I still would like to revive a lot of front page stuff.

I haven't tried writing in about as much time as you, so i tried today and it... went poorly but Im definitely going to get a photoshop thread going tomorrow morning when I should be working.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I haven't tried writing in about as much time as you, so i tried today and it... went poorly but Im definitely going to get a photoshop thread going tomorrow morning when I should be working.

Please do, I'd really like to start up Photoshop Phriday again

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lowtax posted:

Please do, I'd really like to start up Photoshop Phriday again

There are some good recent ones in the goldmine. I dont even remember how photoshop phriday worked back in the early 2000's. The threads were transferred to the front page on fridays lol? God I feel old.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Remember when everyone was talking about the whole net neutrality stuff and how without it corporations were gonna start censoring stuff they didn't like? Was that a dystopian, or utopian future?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Split Pea Superman posted:

Remember when everyone was talking about the whole net neutrality stuff and how without it corporations were gonna start censoring stuff they didn't like? Was that a dystopian, or utopian future?

Please tell us precisely what Alex Jones has done that companies are not liking. Vry curious over here. I mean gosh, did he do nothing at all?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Oh gosh no, private companies are making and enforcing rules on their sites and services which they own, we're truly living in a nightmarish Black Mirror future

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lowtax posted:

Oh gosh no, private companies are making and enforcing rules on their sites and services which they own, we're truly living in a nightmarish Black Mirror future

That guy really seems to like defending racists, I'm not sure he's being entirely genuine lol.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

I mean I'm starting to lean against net neutrality just because maybe it'll unfuck a tiny amount of all the problems stemming from the current ad based revenue system. I'll miss all the weird and bizarre stuff, but if I'm losing that anyways...

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

That guy really seems to like defending racists, I'm not sure he's being entirely genuine lol.

When have I ever defended anyone on this site?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

When have I ever defended anyone on this site?

well since you asked i took a quick glance at your post history and found:

donny t re: north korea: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859921&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post485105070

some poo poo i don't even pretend to understand about groups talking about race realism or some poo poo your entire question mark in this thread is confusing as hell: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856797&pagenumber=62&perpage=40#post484241140

jeff bezos: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851072&pagenumber=31&perpage=40#post484163258

strikes me that you just love to argue from looking through this. regardless of how well or how poorly i'm grasping the full wisdom and context of whatever ravings i've linked the actual answer to this question seems to be "like every 3rd post"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

he's the political Art Bell
art bell always seemed to police his audience. i might be wrong because i was too young, but i've heard he was more jonesey early in his career and then OK CITY happened and he tamped that poo poo down to focus on "woah, what if aliens did X, Y and Z?" and if someone called in to start ranting about the zionist moneychangers, bell would immediately go *click* "and our next caller is from ypsilanti, michigan and you're on coast to coast!"

then bell retired and then bell :rip:'d so the traffic was going to go somewhere. and jones was the craziest, loudest and hardest working nut in the business so he's the one who benefited.

Lovely Primate
Jan 21, 2011

Look, I'm a moron so I'm not gonna pretend to know what I'm talking about here, but isn't it pretty loving stupid to cry "censorship" or "free speech" over this? I was under the impression that private companies can do whatever the gently caress they want to do with their own platforms. Isn't "they're suppressing free speech!" or "they're censoring dissenting opinions!" only valid if it's the actual government doing it?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

art bell always seemed to police his audience. i might be wrong because i was too young, but i've heard he was more jonesey early in his career and then OK CITY happened and he tamped that poo poo down to focus on "woah, what if aliens did X, Y and Z?" and if someone called in to start ranting about the zionist moneychangers, bell would immediately go *click* "and our next caller is from ypsilanti, michigan and you're on coast to coast!"

then bell retired and then bell :rip:'d so the traffic was going to go somewhere. and jones was the craziest, loudest and hardest working nut in the business so he's the one who benefited.

early Jones was really comparable to Art Bell, back when he was protesting Dubya and ranting about the NWO

people forget that he was the dude that publicized the fact that the government used provocateurs against the WTO protestors in Seattle

Lovely Primate posted:

Look, I'm a moron so I'm not gonna pretend to know what I'm talking about here, but isn't it pretty loving stupid to cry "censorship" or "free speech" over this? I was under the impression that private companies can do whatever the gently caress they want to do with their own platforms. Isn't "they're suppressing free speech!" or "they're censoring dissenting opinions!" only valid if it's the actual government doing it?

look, the NFL and TV networks are well within their rights to ban kneeling during the anthem, they are private companies and the government isn't involved in censoring players

see how dumb that sounds

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
my biggest beef with the social media companies is that they're like attention-grabbing slot machines with all the bells and whistles and guys like alex jones feed off that. so banning jones will not fundamentally solve the problem which is baked in to the architecture.

as far as them banning people, or whether these companies should be regulated as government utilities, i dunno. really i agree with lowtax in the interview he did a few weeks ago, in that the internet is like a series of fortified medieval villages, and you need to periodically chop off people's heads and stick them on spikes otherwise your platform will turn to poo poo.

Lovely Primate
Jan 21, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

look, the NFL and TV networks are well within their rights to ban kneeling during the anthem, they are private companies and the government isn't involved in censoring players

see how dumb that sounds

That's... that's a fair point, actually.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
or maybe something like what jaron lanier talks about where social media functions more like paid model. using spotify is way easier than downloading bootleg mp3s and i don't have to worry about downloading a computer-breaking virus in the process. same with movies now that subscription services have taken over. i don't spend much time thinking about alex jones' problems and he's a small fish in the grand scheme of things. he's a really noisy forums poster and if social media is having problems with people like him it's because the social media companies foster bad value systems and their incentives are out of whack. work on fixing those problems.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Squish posted:

I've never watched Infowars, and it doesn't matter how canerous and stupid it is/was, the chilling effect of just shutting someone down is far too much power for the tech companies to wield in any kind of coordinated or collective matter. We let the Westoborough Baptist Church spew their insane stupidity on the principle of defending to the death, your right to say [thing], because free speech matters.

gently caress Twitter and their stupid ban reasons, but I disagree with the idea of just calling this a slippery slope argument and calling it a day. This is more like a test fire of a new weapon, an Internet Manhattan Project that further demonstrates a concentration of potential power that could have real negative repercussions for genuine debate.
You will be glad to know that @jack at Twitter feels a profound ideological commitment to the very concept of free speech as long as that free speech is from a right-wing source, and is also not Lowtax

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lovely Primate posted:

That's... that's a fair point, actually.

Check this out: the NFL are within their rights to ban players from doing things like kneeling but they don't want to because the public is within their rights to respond with things like boycotts to advertisers which hurt their bottom line. The government is 100% involved in censoring players because the president of the United states told NFL owners to fire players because of their speech.;-*

e obivsly twitter should ban alex jones and unban lowtax

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 10, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

donny t is not the government

donny t is involved in the whole nfl players kneeling thing but let's not tacitly give the authoritarian jizzrag the I AM THE STATE power he so desperately craves. if the nfl responded to him with :rolleyes: he could do nothing but whine on twitter about it, no actual government apparatus is going to help him by punishing the NFL. he can't just go "BAN THEM FROM THE TV SCREENS" and it happens.

the other poo poo is exactly why the other platforms wanted to get rid of jones though. you pay for these 'free' platforms with your data and jones's data was so actively toxic and awful that he was hurting their bottom line by existing in their digital universe

twitter won't ban jones though because jones is newsworthy and that's what twitter cares about being. they want people to go to twitter for their news updates instead of fox, cnn, msnbc, etc. you ban jones and that's a bunch of self-minted headlines you suddenly don't get. so basically they won't ban him because he is exactly the sort of memetic brain dead fuckwit they want lol

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I found this article instructive to those who feel like d&d-ing up the joint

http://www.niemanlab.org/2018/08/there-will-always-be-another-alex-jones-a-glitch-in-the-american-system/

Good article though, Lowtax. I always liked reading the front page and never understood why goons loved to talk poo poo about it :shrug:
(otoh I never much cared for the Levi Johnston articles which people fuckin loved so it's possible I'm just a dumb ugly moron with a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt)

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Lovely Primate posted:

There's also the hilarious irony that they are now decrying the dangers of "slippery slope censorship" caused by mega-corporations controlling information access, even though they have been championing the system that allowed this to happen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When Alex Jones starts defending kneeling football players from their team owners and Trump I'll consider that maybe he's got the beginnings of a point about the encroachment of corporations on what could be considered, from a certain point of view, developing public spaces.

But we all know that if tomorrow Twitter banned all accounts associated with CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, and every other news in the world except Fox News and Infowars Jones would be celebrating from the rooftops so gently caress 'em.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

you also have to consider that the avenue of “speech” has different relevancies in different corporate settings. In the case of social media, speech is the actual service provided and is more closely related to any terms and conditions than a hypothetical league setting where speech is incidental to the function of the business.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Kibayasu posted:

When Alex Jones starts defending kneeling football players from their team owners and Trump I'll consider that maybe he's got the beginnings of a point about the encroachment of corporations on what could be considered, from a certain point of view, developing public spaces.

But we all know that if tomorrow Twitter banned all accounts associated with CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, and every other news in the world except Fox News and Infowars Jones would be celebrating from the rooftops so gently caress 'em.

But he wouldnt have a point because saying someone is a traitor to their country committing nefarious illegal things and conspiracies isnt a whole lot different from crying fire in a theater, especially when as you would imagine, people believe that nonsense and start showing up at peoples houses with guns ready to do something about it.

I dont know where exactly that line is and im not sure its settled legally but alex jones at least crept right up to it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
If you guys want to talk about radio show hosts who have idiotic, repulsive guests, let's talk about Phil Hendrie! Man, his guests are so dumb and ignorant! I mean, where does he find these people!!! Am I right or what here guys

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DogonCrook posted:

But he wouldnt have a point because saying someone is a traitor to their country committing nefarious illegal things and conspiracies isnt a whole lot different from crying fire in a theater, especially when as you would imagine, people believe that nonsense and start showing up at peoples houses with guns ready to do something about it.

I dont know where exactly that line is and im not sure its settled legally but alex jones at least crept right up to it.

Yes, the mainstream media is definitely not conjuring up conspiracies about foreign interference and calling people traitors based on shaky to zero evidence

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Yes, the mainstream media is definitely not conjuring up conspiracies about foreign interference and calling people traitors based on shaky to zero evidence

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The only radio show hosts zi listen to are Frasier and that guy from the GTA games

• Locked thread