Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Anyone thinking about going to law school? I got some good advice for you if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Anyone thinking about going to law school? I got some good advice for you if so.

"Don't"?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Muir posted:

"Don't"?

Actually, "do". We need more blood for the law God

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Law school was absolutely the best choice I made in life and I am so happy I went. I’m not even joking. But I it took me 15 years of practice at least before I felt that way.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Law.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Law.

Lmao

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Whitlam posted:

Shame it’s too long for a thread title.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil is small law sorry to disappoint

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Whitlam posted:

Lmao

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Law school was absolutely the best choice I made in life and I am so happy I went. I’m not even joking. But I it took me 15 years of practice at least before I felt that way.

Feels like there's jobs that you like when you first start them

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Whitlam posted:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Feels like there's jobs that you like when you first start them

The general dramatic arc is:

1 to 2 months: this job is the best I've ever had
3 to 4 months: this job can be stressful
5 to 6 months: i will literally kill myself if i have draft another dependency order, i quit

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The general dramatic arc is:

1 to 2 months: this job is the best I've ever had
3 to 4 months: this job can be stressful
5 to 6 months: i will literally kill myself if i have draft another dependency order, i quit

In Pittsburgh, that's known as the Altoona special.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

In Pittsburgh, that's known as the Altoona special.

And around here, the Al-Toona special.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Whitlam posted:

Lmao

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I had a nothing hearing this morning where the judge went real hard at the new associate the other side shoved out there. I felt so bad for her, it was an unimportant motion that I didn't even oppose. The judge denied it without prejudice because the new attorney just froze up and had no idea how to answer the court's (admittedly simple) questions.

I also stopped in to watch a high profile corruption trial and the defense and AUSA were slap fighting about improper foundation like they were in traffic court. It made me happy.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Whitlam posted:

Poetry.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm going in the fall at the ripe age of 37 after dropping out of corporate law as a paralegal. All advice welcome.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jewmanji posted:

I'm going in the fall at the ripe age of 37 after dropping out of corporate law as a paralegal. All advice welcome.

Don't.

How are you paying for it and are you married to one of the partners at the firm?

If you must go to school, get an accounting degree. Or a sports medicine degree and be a personal trainer for all the wives of the corporate law partners.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Jewmanji posted:

Why?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Sup law thread, checking in after a long absence. 12 years in crim defence and I've finally been poached by the government, to be the Canadian equivalent of the Wire's Rhonda Pearlman. Time to trade the stacks of cash from questionable sources and midnight phone calls and constant dread of loving up and driving all over the province for an office, 9-5*, suit and tie, and pension.

Well I guess this is growing up

* lol no it fuckin won't be

Oh no not you too!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Nichol posted:

Oh no not you too!

keep reading, you'll love the shocking plot twist

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I've been providing (alongside an attorney) full representation to indigent asylum seekers for the last 6-7 years (my Legal department cares very much about pro bono stuff). I decided I'd rather become a licensed attorney and do that in the second half of my career, since I derive satisfaction from helping people in a material way (which is not what my regular job amounts to). I've saved up a significant amount of cash and have tuition support from my FIL, so I'm just taking a swing and trying it out. I can go back to corporate if I lose a defensive case and fall to pieces.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Jewmanji posted:

I've been providing (alongside an attorney) full representation to indigent asylum seekers for the last 6-7 years (my Legal department cares very much about pro bono stuff). I decided I'd rather become a licensed attorney and do that in the second half of my career, since I derive satisfaction from helping people in a material way (which is not what my regular job amounts to). I've saved up a significant amount of cash and have tuition support from my FIL, so I'm just taking a swing and trying it out. I can go back to corporate if I lose a defensive case and fall to pieces.

Idea: for your midlife crisis, buy a cool car with that saved up cash instead of wasting it on law school

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Too late, I already have a sweet 2013 Prius

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Going state school at least right? You're not looking for a fancy law school just a degree?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I got into a state school that offered me a basically free tuition but it was 90 mins away by car in the middle of nowhere. I chose a better school in the middle of my city that is not one of the top law schools in the country (not even close), partly on the assumption that going to school in the city I want to work in will likely mean getting a job out of school a bit faster.

I spent about 18 months prior to applying to schools trying to get a job at a local public interest firm and couldn't get my foot in the door, so I didn't really have any reasonable backup plan. I hate my day job and it sucks the life out of me.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

partly on the assumption that going to school in the city I want to work in will likely mean getting a job out of school a bit faster.

As long as you’re not in NY, DC, or SF (and maybe Boston/LA/Chi, I don’t have as good a feel there), this is more or less accurate.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I'm in Boston. I'm not competing with students at the more reputable schools who are competing for spots at the big firms- just want to get a degree and get back to work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have so much energy. I’m ready to retire

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I got into a state school that offered me a basically free tuition but it was 90 mins away by car in the middle of nowhere. I chose a better school in the middle of my city that is not one of the top law schools in the country (not even close), partly on the assumption that going to school in the city I want to work in will likely mean getting a job out of school a bit faster.

I spent about 18 months prior to applying to schools trying to get a job at a local public interest firm and couldn't get my foot in the door, so I didn't really have any reasonable backup plan. I hate my day job and it sucks the life out of me.

The main thing you need to keep in mind is the debt load because there's a good chance you might end up at another job you dislike but this time with an absurdly high interest loan added in. The only thing I regret about law school is not being more economically aware of how stifling and awful the loans you can get are, crafted to steal as much money as possible from you with the blessing of the US govt.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I went to an extremely low-ranked school* with a full ride (I applied when law schools were so starved for students they were shutting down, even mid-semester). Knowing that I was spending time rather than $$$$$$ made the whole experience even more enjoyable and less stressful. If it didn't work out, I would graduate debt-free and satisfied. But my law clerk work for a solo attorney during school improbably turned into a job. Even more improbably, I am regularly helping the little against the big, which is what I told people I was hoping to do, way back when I was applying.

I think you may be undervaluing the scholarship and the alumni network of the state school. Checking whether the city school actually has a better alumni network/prospect of a job in the city, even when your reason and intuition tell you that it must have that, is exactly the sort of annoying attention to detail/fact-checkery that attorneys are paid for. But really, talk to alumni. Check the web pages of companies/orgs you'd want to work for and keep track of who graduated where.

*when looking at school rankings, outside the top schools, a key number is the bar passage rate. Bottom-ranked schools with much lower passage rates are admitting anyone who will pay; ones with an acceptable rate are still doing some combination of telling some applicants "no" and teaching you what you need to know.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
God I hate my job.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I can only speak anecdotally, but I was offered a full scholarship and it made me go to a school I wouldn't have otherwise. While I still had loans from COL and books, the savings allowed me freedom of choice in my career and is directly responsible for a substantial increase in the quality of my life, the fulfillment I get from my job (mostly), and the type of lifestyle it has allowed me to provide my family. That scholarship will forever be an inflection point for the rest of my life.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, as someone who left a corporate gig for public interest work, good for you. If you have a job in immigrant defence waiting for you once you get that JD you’re in a good place. If not, as suggested by you talking about networking/alumni network below, you need to realize that your job search is starting approximately now. Legal aid and other full time public defence jobs in big markets like Boston are actually quite difficult to get, despite the poo poo pay. So seek out internships, volunteer opportunities, clinics, etc. so that if it’s your resume versus someone from Harvard’s, even though you’ll probably be better prepared to practice than someone just out of Harvard, you can win that comparison.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Dallan Invictus posted:

keep reading, you'll love the shocking plot twist
Oh no Sorry Cmdr. We need more real lawyers at Crown offices. At least around here it is dire.

Popero posted:

Going to law school because you like to argue is a better reason than weed law

I did weed law then they made weed legal and now I do tons of fent law. The stakes are high it sucks.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Jewmanji, it sounds like the job you have right now is pretty good. Just keep doing that unless you'd make 3x as much if you have a law license. The added stress of being the attorney on the case with your professional license on the line with every action you take isnt worth a small pay bump and three years of school.

We're the same age and I couldn't imagine going to law school now. The job I have now is objectively really good, I get to go home every night at a reasonable hour and play with my kids, and get paid a decent amount. I still consider quitting all the time being a lawyer really sucks.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Go to the school with the full ride dude, it’s not even a question.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
As someone who went to her third law school at 38, I would highly recommend doing that if it would literally save you and your loved ones from death or worse, and if someone else was paying for it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Go to the school with the full ride dude, it’s not even a question.

I'm going to be the fly in the ointment here and ask if that's actually true considering the SAVE plan + PSLF? Even with a full ride there's still living expenses to cover.

I suppose there would be the anxiety of those plans being taken away, but even the older PAYE/IBR ones had plenty of attorneys I knew living pretty comfortably with their huge loan burdens, and they didn't even qualify for PSLF.