Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

a) stats matter
b) i dont know whats with me and hogs i guess i like hogging?
c) im glad im a superstar

Who are you?

Also, ar has more.posts than sv, surprising.
Also, go to law school, esp a ttt because I'm loving bored beyond planning.my next 3 vacations (work for california, I now exceed 5 weeks of vacation).

GET MONEY posted:

Accepted the US offer :c00l: but deferred a year to maybe still come to my senses wring out more cash
Blue balls. Thanks for nothing, dick.

Any Canadian lawgoons to help me smuggle brother's pepperoni in from nova scotia? I'm almost out of my stash I brought back.
As a vonus, smuggling pepperoni gives you a lot of jokes and that's even before you move on to trailer park boys

nm fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Join the OP. PD?

PD in Hawaii who either moved or is moving to Michigan like an idiot.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

God bless reddit legal advice thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/95c289/ma_late_brothers_partner_suing_family_for_money/

quote:

Our brother age 34M died of cancer 9 months ago. He was very successful and left behind money and assets. He also had a Will. My brother was also in a gay relationship for 8 years with a 28M partner. Our family is religious and yes we may not have approved the relationship we still loved our brother. He unfortunately died of cancer and left a will. Left most of the money to his gay partner. They weren't even married. We decided money to be kept within the family and but gave his partner some money. We also paid for brothers funeral and medical Bill's. We thought that was the end of it. But now his ex partner is suing us for the rest of the funds. I don't know how he got hold of the will. My family is still grieving and now this man wants to take us to court. Trying to see how to solve this without involving the court. Thank you for your advice

OP pressured his sister, executor of will, to defraud his brother's partner out of $850k, posts it on the interbutts because he dares to take them to court for stealing almost a million dollars. How did he get the will? Its a public record.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^
says sister was the only one he got along with. Misplaced trust.

blarzgh posted:

Good poo poo. My policy is to believe them all, no matter how much they smell like bait because it's fun and you'll never know anyway.

Some Americans are so lovely about gay people, I totally believe that one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

I can't really think of a faster way to tank your legal career in the toxic world of American law firms than to ask for a sabbatical. We had to basically threaten to strike to get the old fucks who run our firm to authorize a four-week paternity leave, and no one has been brave enough to take all four weeks yet. OId withered boomer partners view things like "wanting to spend time with your newly born child" or "taking a break so I don't kill myself and everyone around me" as weakness
this is perfect

God I'm glad I work for the government.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^
Congrats! Prepare for like a month of great offers.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm really thinking about a sabbatical too, maybe I'll save up some leave

I just took July off and had 96 hours of leave left. I'm taking a week off in Christmas, going to mexico city for a week this winter, will take two weeks this summer, then x-mas again and then take a month in 2020. I love my vacation job.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 10, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tipps posted:

In addition to our 6 weeks of vacation a year (with an extra week for every 3 years of seniority, capping at 16w a year), 2 bonus weeks off at Xmas, and strict 37.5h work week, we have the option to take 80% of our paycheque for 4 years and then have a full year off at 80% pay.

I love working for the government.

You need any California lawyers up in siberia?
I have a Canadian passport.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Today my company received an email from a terminated vendor’s “corporate counsel” that demanded we restore their access to our proprietary system AND give them the name, address, phone number, SSN, and photocopied driver’s license of the person in our company responsible for terminating their access. The “attorney” that composed it isn’t barred in the state, and it is likely that the business owner is pretending to be one.

Our legal department is not amused.
Time for this letter

https://deadspin.com/5716038/the-greatest-letter-ever-printed-on-nfl-team-letterhead

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm gonna use my amazing government Westlaw to pull that cite for free.

I worked for a private attorney for like 10 minutes and the idea that Westlaw costs money is just shocking to me.
Like I couldn't work anywhere without unlimited unfettered westlaw or I'd have huge Bill's. And also not be able to look up poo poo randomly for no reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

How long ago was this? Westlaw is basically flat rate now. You don’t pay per click to access primary law or run searches anymore.

Like 2010 maybe?
I'm getting loving old. 1 more year and I can qualify to be a judge FFS.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

The entire maritimes (excluding Halifax) is just Northern Maine with funnier accents.

Some of them speak french.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

affordable domestic help are big draws,
Jesus loving Christ, is this pro-slavery post?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

eke out posted:

instead of posting about how slavery is attractive, consider posting the emails

Thoatwarbler is a worse person than SV.
Sorry SV, gotta up your slavery game.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

look I'm really bored

Please keep posting the legal thread, but make sure your posting isn't quite frequent enough to arouse suspicion.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Sadly euphro took you seriously because he refuses to read this thread as outta depressing.

Sadly? Amazingly.

Also, now that almost all of us have jobs, this thread is way less depressing. We basically get to dunk on people dumb enough to go to law school in YOL 2018.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Unless someone asks “how do I get myself a slave?”

Or figuring out what grade of Mischling you are

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Update on in-house small claims. I did not know that lawyers aren’t allowed in California small claims court. We get to send an employee. I think pro se guy might get dunked on though, but we still expect he won’t 100% lose.

Sue people in small claims as a career.

I sued the woman who hit me with her car in small claims court in California. AMA.
Weirdest loving process I've ever been through. I basically had to force the judge to let me argue the law (we agreed on the facts). Worked I guess.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Are pain and suffering damages allowed in CA small claims?

They are, but the judge didn't give me any like a jerk. I did get 100% on property and medical though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

my newest criminal client is cellmates with a "lawyer" (read: not a lawyer). I've sunk immeasurable hours into his defense already. I drove two hours to meet with him, on a Sunday, so he could lecture me at length about how everything I've done to defend him is wrong, I don't understand the sentencing guidelines, I don't understand his "rights" under the offense he's been charged with, and I need to tell the USAO that we won't accept a plea offer with any penalty more severe than probation

on the way home I drove over a wooden bridge and I swear to god it was the closest I've ever come. luckily I realized I need to be around to see Toona end up sucking dicks for meth in an alley in 2-4 years

This is like 50% of all public defender clients. The other half aren't in custody, so they don't have a cellie.
(Then the 2% with really good cases want to plea out.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Reminder that it is virtually impossible to prove malpractice in a criminal case. If you document, you're ironclad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

What do you do with your inmates?
Do you have a giant prison on Guam or do you do like Hawaii and send a bunch of them stateside?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Either his grades or his personality are bad.

If his grades are bad then his scholarship is at risk and he should leave. If it’s his personality he should finish it out bc a completed JD is better than a failed JD.

Remember that that T14 scholarships have far easier conditions. You might have a low enough gpa to not get any bites but still keep it.
I remember, at my like t20ish, after a bad fall 1l getting a sternly written letter that my scholarship would be gone if I didn't improve in 3 years. Idk.

But yeah, if he's going to spend actual money, leave.

Otherwise, he should do clinics and what not and might find somethong he actually likes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nirvikalpa posted:

I don't think his scholarship is at risk at all. What are clinics?

Clinics are the only good thing in law school, where you get to go play real lawyer. I got to try a few trials.
I hated law school (I did like the free time and day drinking) and clinics were the only thing I liked. It is what got me through law school and gave me something to talk about in interviews and focused my interests.
Schools have different ones, but they tend to be aimed at poorer people, so you'll have housing, family stuff, and my school had programs with the local prosecutors and PDs offices where you could actually do extremely minor criminal poo poo in a courtroom with a dude with a robe on.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'd say tell your supervisor because you're going to be dealing with conflict headaches on everything he's ever touched if nothing else, and the number one rule in life - never be the most senior person with a secret. This isn't your burden to sort out. Let the bureaucracy handle it.

I spy a man who know bureaucracy. This is the answer. Do it in writing (email) in a non-dickish way and then have a off the record conversation where you explain it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Meatbag Esq. posted:

It will probably be dismissed for service failure but that's the point isn't it.
I'm sure there is someone who has combined being a process server with doing seances.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Red Sox or gtfo.
A racist prosecutor, how novel. . . .

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Also, does anyone think it was wrong to report that an attorney was in active litigation against a firm from which he had accepted a job offer?

Prepare to wind up in a ditch with stitches.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Everyone needs to take the CA bar and move to sacramento. Pickings are thin for government lawyers. We're seriously considering hiring people with multiple past bar issues. Jeesus.
I'd say go to law school, but this will likely resolve in less than 3 yeats.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Will california take my MBE scores from February this year and will you pay my fees? If yes to both, California sounds better than florida :lol:

Maybe (I dunno)
And no.
But we pay pretty well, accounting for COL in Sacramento, and our pension is amazing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

California doesn't even do waive in. If you practice for four(?) years you get the honor of only having to take the essay portion.

Only a 2 day bar now.
We're still like a million times better than florida.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

There are currently 8 agencies in CA looking for entry level attorneys and some postings are really old. It starts at 65k (only for fresh out of law school), which isn't amazing, but you'll be fine in Sacramento (or live like a king in Visalia where there is one posting) and a Attorney III promotion (there is no attorney 2) is an automatic promotion with 6 years experience (as an attorney, not in position) in some, but not all, offices, which starts at over 100k, which again doesn't sound like too much v. private practice, but I work 8 hours/day, have every weekend off, in excess of 5 weeks of leave, extremely hard to fire, and when I'm 60, I get to retire with like 70% of my salary (new pensions will be worse than mine, but only a bit).
For experienced attorneys, attorney III, there are 24 agencies (well office locations) hiring. One of them appears to be firing highway patrol officers.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 23, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Can anyone inform me about the practice of being a legal investigator? A family friend is attempting to forward me for such a position at an NY firm.

It probably depends on the state. You may need to have a PI card, and a background as a cop really helps.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Munin posted:

How does a "Legal Investigator" differ from a PI anyway other than being hired by a better class of people?

If you work for a DA's office in CA you get a badge, a gun, and a cop pension.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

New interview rule: ask about the chosen people

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I knew going into law school that I could never practice because I don't drink.
It felt like Mormons were the most common religion (possibly because no one talked about it) at my law school. I just don't know how the survive.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

My office uses pro-law which isn't really designed for groups that don't bill hours and don't do traditional litigation.
It sucks out loud.

My PD office used a custom system that basically used PDFs. It was probably klunky as hell on the back-end but was actually pretty great in use. We all got ipads, so we could access our files and take notes in court and even in the jail (jail allow us to bring them).

nm fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 30, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

We also use sharepoint and it makes me suicidal.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I’ll keep it in mind as an overhead and hours reduction strategy (how well sharepoint works depends heavily on its implementation, and it can be great in many settings, but it’s not designed for legal documentation)

Someone tell our middle managers with little actual technology experience this.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I subbed the head of a law enforcement organization because what they were doing was dumb, systematic, and illegal. It went away, but my boss got angry calls.
10/10 would do again, but make sure you can actually justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Oh poo poo, I did sub a DA once. He interviewed a witness without an investigator present and I wanted him to impeach her.