Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

reposting from old thread:

You've got me nailed. (I just have a Masters).

There's an extra list tag just after the "getting that clerkship".

The last paragraph of the "work for the feds?" quoted post is semi-duplicated.

Hey, don't worry buddy. I just have a Masters too (of law though). I like your posts.

That was a great op, fantastic in fact. Though I do love that everyone in the old thread started immediately suggesting revisions like they were emailing a first year assosciate.

You got me pegged for sure, but in case someone should ever want actual advice relating to norwegian law, law school and practicing law as a mid-small independent attourney I have a specialty in crim law and human rights but mostly do specialty crim defender, municipal law litigation and complaints, property, private claims and just sometimes random poo poo the others won't do. I'm great at random poo poo. Also I moonlight as a realtor sometimes, because I can.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I would if I could.

Anway, I noticed that this thread is still missing both a gangtag and a discord. Just to mention.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Toona the Cat posted:

For the record, the sisterhood of the traveling pants really sucked.

Probably not the only thing that involved sucking that night heyoo

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish posted:

Probably not the only thing that involved sucking that night heyoo

The other thing was my jokes

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
You did. This means that you are now the answering guy. Only you.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Eminent Domain posted:

People are 100% stupid enough to pull that poo poo with the will and then be ~shocked~ that they are gonna be held accountable for it

In my short career I've seen something similar thrice already. People will absolutely be this dumb and this lovely, anywhere.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I'm ready for when my grandpa dies since he has 9 kids + my evil stepgrandma has a bunch too and every one of them is convinced they should get all of the money , so dozens of people going after it

Now that I think about it I have a lot of personal deets about inheritance squabbling (mainly because both sides of my family are farmers so there's land wealth but very little cash) but I'm sure everyone here does as well and it can't be that interesting

Nah, just post. I love hosed up inheritance intrigue, so long as I'm not litigating it.

E: Come to think of it, people are like this in every area of law but most often in inheritance and/or property disputes. People will loving murder you over property lines

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 9, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

oh my god that guy's "defense" in the legal questions thread was basically prose.txt

his poor lawyer will not get paid enough for dealing with him

I feel like I called it as to what kind of hellclient he is in the last thread, but we'll see.

I am loving it though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I sincerely want the emails and I insincerely want him keelhauled for the delay, but yeah you pretty much have to be right about that at this point.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hay thread where’s the best place I can make boatloads of money, pay no taxes, and legally own slaves?

The USA.*

*As long as you are already rich or have received a small family loan of [s]one million dollars[/] 8 million dollars adjusted for inflation. Also laws don't apply to you.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Both threads have been ON FIRE these last few days. Keep up the good work, everyone.

Well, you know what they say.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

No one can hear you scream in a cabin in the woods?

I can't recall actually, I'm under attack from a roving band of about six pitchers of sangria and I appear to be losing

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

that reminds me, I found cloudberry flavored yogurt in my local yuppiefood store and when I saw it I was gripped by an overwhelming, jealous hatred of Nice Fish so intense it took my breath away

plz invite me to yr cabin so I can talented Mr Ripley you, tia

Absolutely. You bring the spring onions and I'll bring the goat milk.

Oh no. There's another senorita bringing more intoxicant. I'll say hello from you guys.

E: it wasnt the waitress

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 14, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

NPOF, do they have same-sex marriage in Norway? Asking for a friend. I'm 1/16 Norwegian btw, but could easily pass as 1/8. My friend, I mean, is, and could.

We absolutely do, full marriage equality and I accept your proposal, we can get hitched in the spring :3:

We actually have gameshows for people who are 1/16 norwegian. I already have a norwegian name for you, it's «Knut».

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

I already have a Swedish LLM and no, Swedish firms don't care. European firms that aren't Beiten Burkhardt are in the same position, just scaled down a bit. Or a lot.

A US/UK LLM won't be quite that useless, but it won't be of much help either. As I said, these firms simply never have openings, and that won't change until the inevitable paradigm shift that will happen when Putin dies or gets too old to have control over anything. Assuming that the shift will be for the better, which isn't a given

Well, it's not so strange swedish firms don't care much as an LLM wouldn't normally be enough to practice law as a jurist. As far as I know, the swedes have all kinds of silly ideas. I didn't even know they offered LLMs.

How did you come to study law in Sweden anyway? Regardless, there has to be some opportunity for you to aquire rights to practice in the EU at least. Have you considered Finland? I believe they have LLMs, speak swedish, have vodka, are part of the EU and are nearby to you.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Finally, so glad the awkward stage is behind us.

I'm sorry, but you'll find that the awkward stage as a norwegian starts at birth and then it deteriorates from there. Forever.

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, my return says, "Personal Service" on "[Individual]". So substituted service, no posting, no room for interpretation, and I can't believe it by the dude literally wasn't there.

That's weird. We have a municipal arbitration council which is a non-law first tier (often mandatory) step before you can file a case with the courts. Like a pro se bonanza. It fucks up everything, all the time. The best part is that it is immune to procedural objections (because they are all idiot lay people and don't know and can't follow civil procedure) and they serve people by simple mail. Yeah, they send you a letter and if you don't get it, sucks to be you because then they have an unlimited ability to render summary judgement against you. Whupsy! And every mail fuckup is considered a procedural issue. Which you can't do anything about except file a full lawsuit within a month of judgement. Which you might not know about.

I hate them so much.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

if only there was a political movement that they could support that would address these issues :(

That's the point. To them, there kind of isn't.

I like Mark Blythes take on it but my girlfriend is a civil economist and says I should stop listening to youtube. Luckily I dont listen to econ people.

https://youtu.be/BsqGITb0W4A

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh my God who bought blarzgh's new av.

As an expert on avatars I say it's pretty good.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

gvibes posted:

Hey now, I have done two trials in the last nine months or so. Neither family nor criminal law.

I've got a public defender gig next week and a multiday custody and visitation week after. I guess I'm opposite guy.

Thankfully I'm still a bit buzzed by tonight's visit at a Michelin guide restaurant. Vacation is a good thing. Wine also helps.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I think I would find being rich very comfortable.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, yeah, it would be nice, but it's not in the cards for me. The american dream is dead (and never really existed) and I'm just a poor kid from rural nowhere. I'm never going to be wealthy, but I'd at least like money to vacation once in a while or travel.

Once I'm a successful business venture capitalist partner with a multinational nazi gold company based in Schweiz I'll hire you to be my overseas taco consultant in law and pay you ludicrous money.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Jesus is a malpracticing piece of poo poo in that case.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Model ABA rules allow for receipt of property in lieu of fees with certain restrictions. I'm not sure if that state follows the model rules, but in most accepting jewelry for fees would generally be fine.

I emailed back the firm and expressed my concerns and also emailed the school career counselor that set up this interview in the first place explaining my position.

Instant disbarment for me. But yeah that figures.

Discendo Vox posted:

WWJP?

What Would Jesus Practice?
Where Would Jesus Practice?

WSAPWJD?

What Substance Abuse Problem Would Jesus Develop?

Depends. Is he jewish?

The answer is definitely not any kind of litigation

he'd totally get hung up on the cross

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Jesus is 100% an alcoholic. Possibly also a huge stoner. Maybe peyote or shrooms on special occasions (e.g. his birthday; when everyone else popped buttons that one time and tripped balls so hard they thought he came back to life)

12/24 smoke myrrh erryday

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

my newest criminal client is cellmates with a "lawyer" (read: not a lawyer). I've sunk immeasurable hours into his defense already. I drove two hours to meet with him, on a Sunday, so he could lecture me at length about how everything I've done to defend him is wrong, I don't understand the sentencing guidelines, I don't understand his "rights" under the offense he's been charged with, and I need to tell the USAO that we won't accept a plea offer with any penalty more severe than probation

on the way home I drove over a wooden bridge and I swear to god it was the closest I've ever come. luckily I realized I need to be around to see Toona end up sucking dicks for meth in an alley in 2-4 years

If it helps, motherfucker dug his own grave and you're just a paid coffin hauler. gently caress'm, he wants to antagonize and ignore the only guy on his team? He' gonna be just a story to you less than a week after he's put away.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nirvikalpa posted:

It's his personality.

I feel like if his personality is a bad fit with corporate law, wouldn't it be a bad fit for finance too? Accounting seems good though.

Yes, he is striking out for jobs for 2L summer. I think it is personality. How is someone supposed to deal with it? I asked him if his law school does practice interviews but I guess those can only do so much.

Tell him to stop asking them if they are jewish.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hoshi posted:

Mutual friend warned him I think

That friend deserves a drink, I think.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Presidential pardon power is basically unlimited and no one challenged it. The only challenges to the pardon power historically just say that a pardon has to be publicly accepted and that it cannot be forced on someone.

Well sure, but it's not really that crazy per se. If you accept a pardon you also declare your guilt, do you not? In which case a presidential pardon is judge, jury and executioner for that particular criminal act only the punishment is... nothing. So long as the pardon itself is limited in scope to only potential crimes in this particular period, within the president's authority window as it were, I don't see that it's particularly problematic in and of itself.

lol I'm just loving kidding what kind of a mickey loving mouse constitution allows past and future blanket pardons the idiot could be pardoning murder and rape for all he knows

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Oh good, it's GDPR Compliance day. I certainly have time for this poo poo. Oh I need to draft a 200 page instruction manual for our plumber's use of personal data, that seems sensible. Ah, this newborn has to sign this consent form well that shouldn't be too much trouble at all.

I'm leaving the EU. gently caress this poo poo.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

GDPR sucks and one of the tertiary reasons I left work was that I knew that I'd be the one to have to draft data protection documents for whenever we advise someone from the EU, which was like 3/4 of our work

This poo poo is loving ridiculous, I have to make a mile wide paper trail of information security compliance even though I by criminal law and attourney ethics am obligated to never give out any loving information at all as a basic function of my work. Oh I have to pinkie swear I won't sell my client's tax return to google on this here 45 page disclaimer? Well good, that certainly stops me from doing something that I'd be in prison for a year over.

The absolute idiocy and draconic loving bullshit way this is implemented is mind-boggling. Particularly since at the same time, money laundering laws just tightened up and I'm not only now legally required to retain incredible amounts of personal and financial information for ages and give them up to the government at the drop of a hat but also at the same time I'm completely disallowed to do those things and obligated to delete this information upon request.

It's just :psyduck: all around.

Also

blarzgh posted:

HDD Did Nothing Wrong

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

fwiw my read on GDPR is it's mostly a problem of being absurdly vague, as a necessary function of EU passage. Like with HIPAA (more so than HIPAA), internal compliance/rear end-covering policies are bonkers, but are erroneously attributed directly to the law.

You're not wrong. Lacking any kind of case law or other means of narrowing the understanding down, it turns into an excercise of trying to hedge against EVERYTHING in the loving world, because the language is quite vague and the punishments draconian.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This patent law stuff is always so incomprehensible

No no, it's very comprehensive

But different?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

During a callback interview yesterday I said something to my co-interviewer that made the candidate lean forward intensely, staring at my co-interviewer, and say "oh, are you jewish?" and I lost my poo poo

it's pretty hard to explain that away. "my idiot internet friends and I have a running joke about jews" is a nonviable strategy

thanks for nothing Throatwarbler
Is it the same one as before? You got a plea right?

You are my hero.

Fake edit: I'm sorry, my (((hero)))

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

You might be your mother's father ? Living up to Floridaman stereotypes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah. Had meeting with victim yesterday which was... a lot of emotions. Nice kid. I wish him well, and it was nice to hear him say he appreciated the work we put in. But thinking about everything he went through is depressing as gently caress. His victim impact statement was superb. Still a rough case Bc of the behind the scenes poo poo
But I’m glad we went to the mat for him. A lot of places don’t. So mild pride sure. But victims are the hardest part of the job. The outcome doesn’t erase what happened. But... victims are also why I do this job, jokes aside. At least it wasn’t a minor victim case. Those make me drink.

So yeah. Rough.

And ok HDD. You did right. Missed the part where you gave him a chance. gently caress that guy. Enjoy your fan.

Had a juvenile attempted murder/rape case where I filed for state compensation to victims of violence and abuse on behalf of the very young victim and the family where I had to in detail describe the sequence of events, submit the forensic medical findings and criminal case documents with illustrations and based on that recommend and justify a [size] claim from case law. Probably the closest I've come so far to just say gently caress it and work a loving cash register job instead.

It's just not worth it, though major kudos to anyone who can stomach this stuff on the reg to help the victims.

VVV Yeah, that's the thing that horrifies me about prosecution. Unfair, bullshit aquittals I can handle, but I know for a fact these kinds of cases give me nightmares. I hope this is a very minor part of your specific job.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 24, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hoshi posted:

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that therapy is good and everyone should get it.

I've been to therapy, I was told I was basically sane but that my job was killing me with anxiety and I should quit immediately because no medication or therapy would help as much as a different job.

This was last year.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

Having a cabin in the Nordic woods is p cool therapy.

Knew I did that poo poo for a reason.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

Actually, law, and biglaw is no different, is a fulfilling and interesting career regardless of the area of law. Every field will have you do important work on interesting and valuable projects that can and will contribute to your professional development and make you grow as a person. All this talk about not going to law school is just memeing and sometimes trolling, disregard that and go for it. You will rarely be bored, I promise

This is one of the most evil things I've seen a russian do.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SlyFrog posted:

Thanks, I appreciate it. To be clear, I've seen four psychiatrists over a little less than the last ten years.

I am torn about agreeing to just say, "This is what it is going to be like, just manage it," because I want to be hopeful, and try to hope I can ultimately find contentedness and serenity, not just pain management. Believe me though, I have thought about it, because there are times where I almost think it might be easier to just surrender and say, "This is what I feel like, and is likely what I'm going to feel like, now just to manage it as best I can."

I did not take anything you said as downplaying my own efforts to find help, don't worry.

As a deteriorating anxiety ball, I'm honestly having the most trouble dealing with how I think people perceive me and the general cost of failure. I can't seem to let go of result anxiety as if there's anything I can realistically do (other than litigate competently) to affect the outcome of a case than what I'm already doing. There might be, but I don't have the training, the tutelage nor the resources to deliver a perfect performance. As a central personality trait, I constantly measure myself up to some platonic ideal of absolute perfection and naturally I always fall short, which I feel like I'm constantly waiting to be punished for. I know that's hosed up and unrealistic and that I can't do anything about it, but that doesn't stop me.

What I'm learning is that all this mental stress is out of my control much like a broken leg won't work no matter how hard I might try. So, my plan is to change the only thing I can change, which is my circumstances. I plan to find a new job doing something where I have actual stability and a more predictable metric of success, change my personal habits back towards more healthy things and try to regain some measure of personal satisfaction in my professional life and my personal life.

It sounds to me like you're already doing the needful things you have to to get better, and that your circumstances are changed and are changing for you either voluntarily or involuntarily. I've also been told that the deeper the pit has been dug, the longer it takes to climb out. To me, that says you're on the right trajectory towards whatever you need for your situation to improve and you're actively working towards improving it by making an effort in all sorts of directions. That means you're doing exactly what you should. Keep at trying, and remember to have patience with yourself because the road might be long.

And if it all goes to poo poo there's always drug dealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hoshi posted:

Why would you go into drug dealing? It's just another oversaturated entry level market, and I think you already have the resources (isolated cabin) for a snitch disposal startup

Maybe I'll start keeping pigs.