Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Its me, I'm da guy who was not in da OP :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

We have Lexis Advance which is actually really good and easy to use.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Courts in my circuit are closed the rest of the week for threat of hurricane. Five day weekend!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, another question related to my earlier one. Do any of you deal with case or document management systems at work, what do you use, and what should people looking into that software area know?

Our office no poo poo has a card catalog. It works because our head clerk is a machine and we will be totally boned when she retires.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 30, 2018

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I'm also gonna start telling everyone I'm 40.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

There is no possibility that joat mon is not the oldest. Although the oldest person to ever post in a lawyer thread may be zwabu, who did his residency during the first Gulf war.

Speaking of old, someone in the "Eras of SA" thread in GBS was wondering if there were any Hot Dog Days or Dr Video Games still around. Pretty sure you're the only one.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Did I venture into the weed thread?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Since this is the "cool" people's thread now, here's one from the public defender playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBOucGAkFAw

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Nice work! Who/what did you cross on? How did it go down?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Did you get your name from Hitchhiker's?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Pussy, pussy, pussy,” he said, “ coochicoochicoochicoo... pussy want his fish? Nice piece of fish...pussy want it?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Y: The Last Man

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

7 am

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

furiouskoala posted:

Years ago, you goon told me not to bother. I didn't listen, and now I passed the bar. Looking forward to taking appointments and pursuing my dream of being a criminal defense lawyer. Any tips for getting better pleas?

Go to trial a lot, it doesn't matter if you win or lose, if you go all the time eventually they'll start giving you what you want. Don't bullshit the prosecutor or the judge ever.

Then a new prosecutor will come in and it starts all over again (and again and again).

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Snitches get bitches.

It's incredibly awkward; a colleague in law school wound up filing a formal complaint against a local PD that wound up sinking their whole statewide firm. Dude's now neck deep in them, and he's allergic. It's not like he's going to send them back to the shelter!

I would like to know more please

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

LOL Hawaii's median house price is like $700k

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Abugadu posted:

We had a guy on domestic violence diversion program, which included a provision for 'no drinking alcohol', appear on a local commercial in which he's at a bar drinking a beer and saying how it tastes better than the competitor's beer.

Probation office dings him, he comes in and tells the judge that it was fake beer. She says 'oh so you're lying to the public about how much better X beer tastes?'

and then gives him a slap on the wrist.

What a doofus.

On an unrelated note, what the hell time do you have to wake up to watch NFL games?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Haha, that's what clued me too. For whatever reason this thread feels like a completely different forum than the rest of SA so I get a worlds colliding feeling when I see a lawgoon posting elsewhere.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Abugadu posted:

The early games start around 3AM Monday, we just DVR the GB games and start watching at ~7AM or so, FF'ing through the commercials and strolling into work around 9.

Daylight savings kind of borks things up a bit, though, so that it's tougher to watch the second halves of Tues Morning Football or Fri Morning Football at lunch.

Jeez, I thought it sucked having Monday Night Football start at 2:30 while I'm still at work. Watching NFL straight from 7 am to 5:30 pm on Sundays rules though.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I started an assault 2 trial today, where the prosecutor who was supposed to do it went on vacation and foisted it on another one. We got halfway through one witness when it became super apparent that the prosecutor didn't read the medical records. The judge got pissed and strongly suggested lowering it to a petty. We took it (complainant had a broken nose, we were gonna run a weak self defense, probably would have lost).

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

What we really need are Malazan adaptations and see if people react to the chain of dogs like the red wedding, let alone the stuff later on that's way rougher

I love Malazan but I gotta feel like its unadaptable. The most TV friendly way would probably just be just starting at Book 5/6 and follow the Bonehunters and Letheras/Edur to Book 7, but even that would be five seasons and a thousand characters while still leaving out like 85% of the saga.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Star Wars also inspired one of the best spoofs in cinema history.

https://youtu.be/ccfbw2RJ3ow ?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I'd rather do a million DV trials than a DUI trial.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

If you dig action movies, strong recommend for the Night Comes For Us on Netflix. White Boy Bobby looks exactly like a solid chunk of my crazy addict clients. The eyes.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

If this is real, you should probably stop talking about it/telling randos on the internet about it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

nm posted:

You should look at the news.

Goddammit. What am I looking for?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Everything in the work fridge is fair game for everyone in the office, except the head clerk's lunch.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I love this thread.

First hearing in the morning attempting to get a guy released from probation early. Hopefully I can win this thing.

Make a checklist

Client finished all conditions
No violations
No new cases while on probation

Of course that could be all for nothing if the PO hates him for whatever reasons.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Won my hearing!

Congrats! I'm glad this was in the back of my mind because today while I was doing the new arrest arraignments, my boss tosses a file on the counsel's table and says "I don't want to wait around, cover this for me" and peaces out the courtroom. I open it and its an early termination hearing for a felon in possession gun charge. (It went fine, the guy was cool).

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

They had pizza at their meetings, so I would get a couple slices and leave.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Oh Jesus Christ, come on

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

BigHead posted:

the law that makes kidnapping and felony assault non-jailable offenses

Can you tell us more about this?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Sashimi is sliced blocks of fish or whatever raw stuff by itself without rice. (Not a sandwich)

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Be happy that those people care enough to take an interest in your life and future

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What's your cottage cheese hook up?

Yo mama's thighs

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

The best fictional lawyer is Uncle Phil.

High five Toona

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

How much is rent in Saipan?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Our local prosecutors office seems to have three main qualifications for new hires, 1) Are you smug and self-righteous?, 2) Are you cool with kicking people while they're down?, 3) Do you believe the cure to homelessness is putting them in jail for minor poo poo 30 days at a time?

Edit: The whole "What, you don't think rapists and murderers should go to prison?" argument is disingenuous. The reason prosecutors piss people off is incarcerating people for minor poo poo, or you know, the vast majority of stuff that aren't bad felonies. I know this because I have to fight this battle every loving day

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 16, 2018

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Quote is not edit

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Even when the client isn’t there?

We have a private defense attorney we get along with who we know will put on the dog and pony show and bang the table when his client is around. But when it’s just us he chills out.

Yeah, the majority of the time the dog and pony show only comes out when the client pulls the "Why aren't you fighting for me?" stuff and you smell the potential bar complaint just beyond the horizon.

Of course that guy gets paid explicitly to do the dog and pony show.