Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

quote:

Kalman – another weirdo who likes long, inscrutable discussions with WJ about 101s, SPEs, and whatever else patent “lawyers” talk about

Can't really argue with that. (I'd add "Used to talk about it for biglaw, now in house/govrel." though.)

A good OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I mean, you’re producing some excellent work product.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Short answer: it is unless the sovereign waives immunity, which they (federal, state, local) have mostly done in various specific ways.

And it only prevents you from punching up - the feds can sue the states without any concerns about sovereign immunity.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

Well. Some concern as to if Congress has made its intention to cancel the state's sovereign immunity clear enough for the Supreme Court not to gently caress over the feds.

Nah. Feds can always sue a state; there used to be an issue about whether Congress had made a cancellation of state sovereign immunity clear enough for a federal statute to strip state sovereign immunity from private suits, but that doctrine is basically meaningless after Florida Prepaid and Seminole Tribe.

Kalman fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 22, 2018

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Popero posted:

I met a guy this weekend who is joining an IP firm to do IP litigation and can't sit for the patent bar. I thought it was weird but don't let these naysayers stop you GET MONEY.

Nah, this is perfectly common - lots of patent litigators who can’t sit for the patent bar. (Probably more who can’t than can.)

What’s uncommon is full time (c)/(tm) litigators.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

2. Go to law school a second time, maybe cooley, and get divorced like 2 times that time, and post it all here.

Cooley LLMs are valued in the job market, I hear.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

I feel like the Georgetown prep basketball team probs wasn’t v good.

they were probably playing against a bunch of other rich white assholes so they probably did fine.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Adar posted:

The House is going to try to impeach Kavanaugh just before impeaching Trump next year and both will be annual affairs a la Obamacare repeals for the foreseeable future

They won't impeach Kavanaugh.

They'll Benghazi him.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Roger_Mudd posted:

Make the Senate waste time and make votes on the record to attack?

Creates votes for your members in redder states as well, and gives an easy attack on House members for wasting time.

Holding hearings, on the other hand, get localized to the committee leaders (probably Nadler, who's completely safe), allow you to trickle out new allegations over time, and also stand a much better chance of actually successfully harming Kavanaugh.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Was fantastic.

I can't tell if this is a joke, but I'll look for it anyway. I don't know if I have the capacity for a loving 6 part epic though.

It’s not a joke and it doesn’t really qualify as an epic, but they are good.

Hull Zero Three might be up your alley if you enjoyed Blindsight.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's not about actually getting him to recuse himself. It's so Democrats are constantly reminded why you show up on election day.

Can we also talk about how Kavanaugh appears to either be dumb as hell or think we all are? His op-ed that says he was "emotional" in a loving prepared statement?

He’s trying to defend his tears, not his words. The people (person) he’s writing that for don’t give a poo poo about the insanity of what he said, they just thought crying about your quarterback and Squi was weird.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Ok I finished hull zero three. Blarzgh what do I read next? Didn't like 3 body problem. Loves hull zero three.

If you were into Blindsight and Hull Zero Three, your next book is...

Russo, Ship of Fools.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

Isn't Le Pen a literal Nazi or am I confusing the name with someone else?

Nope, they’re both Nazis.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

EwokEntourage posted:

I bill 180-200 pretty regularly at a fairly small firm and it doesn’t even seem like that much.

Doesn’t seem like that much til you switch to a job with a sane work schedule. Then you realize it absolutely was.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Dagda posted:

What percentage of your actual work hours is billable hours? Or what I’m actually interested in, how many actual hours do you have to work in order to reach X billables?

Like I probably work about 2200 hours per year at a nonprofit where I have decent but not Government Job-tier work-life balance. My impression of big law types I know is they work way more than me.

Depends, but 70-80% is a good rule of thumb (at least in litigation, no clue on transactional nerds). Goes higher as you get closer to trial and generally bill in bigger blocks of time.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

Anyone here in the D.C. metro area?

Yep. Probably lots of others too.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lawyers trying to do math is invariably a bad scene.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Just saying, these guys will do custom patent drawing posters...

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Probably for the same reason law firms won't hire contract/doc review attorneys: insufficient preftige.

I think it’s an antideficiency act concern.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

You see the problem though, in taking someone doing years for being a felon in possession of a firearm, and claiming that sentence was for the “Oh and by the way he had some weed too” conviction, right?

Wait is “gun without permit” a violent crime now?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Unamuno posted:

Judges aren't robots, appealing to their emotions can be a winning tactic. Especially when they're elected.

Also TBH it might just have been a “gently caress you for defending these shitbags” at Jones’ counsel.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

DuWay, find a recruiter or three in your area and let them find you something.

At least in DC, recruiters are 100% useless for anything except going to another biglaw job. (They’re good at that, though.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Meatbag Esq. posted:

They've been hyping it up since last fall about how it would reduce 101 rejections a lot.

Iancu deeply deeply hates modern 101.

In theory the 112 guidance would cover most of the applications that would have been rejected under 101... but let’s be honest, most examiners are going to take the WJ approach and say “gently caress that I’m lazy.”

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The 112 guidance is dumb because it doesn't help with novel applications of routine and conventional functionality

Yeah, but 99% of the time those applications fail to actually disclose how they do what they do anyway.

(This is not to say the guidance is good. It is not.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

There is so much loving bad (or at least medocre) pho out there. Especially anywhere without a large vietnamese diaspora (aka not the west coast, NOLA, and minneapolis).

You missed DC, which has a ton of good pho.

(Well, northern Virginia does, city itself not as much.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

... wait you have juries in civil cases? There's just no end with you people.

We let juries decide on the validity of patents.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

tbf twelve random idiots can't be worse than the federal circuit

I'd have said that once.

Then I watched mock jury deliberations on a few patent cases.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

I like Yuns (phone autocorrects to Guns lmao) but I found out in the whiskey thread that he spits when tasting and I'm not sure I can be OK with that.

I thought the whole point of making partner was so you no longer had to deal with spitting/swallowing.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I think overall having a unified patent appeals court has been good for patent law. The Supreme Court has done more than their share to mess things up.

Yeah, no. CAFC is terrible (and completely captured), and the Supreme Court's involvement in patent law over the past ~15 years (which has mostly consisted of looking at CAFC's output and going "what the gently caress is wrong with you people?") has been A+.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dude’s dad had just died. It’s still inexplicable levels of fuckup, but that is a legitimate mitigating factor (even if 3 months is still ridiculously low.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

the guy's dad died over a year afterwards: may 2018, all of the conduct was in 2017

You’re right, I misread - his dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness during the relevant timeframe. That’s even more stressful and distracting!

(Don’t confuse that with saying that it’s enough to fully mitigate.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks friends.

How many of you lawyers are happy?

How many of you are in public defense?

How many of you would do something different if you could hop in a time machine?

Yes.

God no.

Eh probably not?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Well his wife probably knows, seeing as he immediately cheated on her with a groupie after achieving a modicum of fame.

Oh so it's Toona.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sincx posted:

Full text search is your friend.

Seriously. It’s a minimum competence open book exam, where the book is searchable - it should be a week of studying and done.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

thread question:describe yourself as a mixed drink recipe

If you're off the sauce, tell us your virgin form

Bourbon Barrel Stout. Not actually a mixed drink anymore, but produced by time spent soaking in a hard liqour.

(The stout part should be obvious.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Toona the Cat posted:

Relativity sucks and I’m glad I never have to deal with that bullshit again.

I remember quite clearly talking to one of our paralegals when I first started, who (accurately) stated “Relativity sucks but it’s still better than the other options.”

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

Two things are simultaneously true about Relativity:

-it is a cruel and unfeeling monstrosity, designed from the ground up to enhance the suffering of its users
-it is by far the best doc review software I've ever dealt with

The democracy of doc review software.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

As far as I can tell, for LLM programs it's pretty much "can you pay full freight for tuition? Is your LSAT vaguely in the range we would like? Cool, come on in, pay us."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Whitlam posted:

Gonna have to pay $862 for my admission :suicide:. Not sure if I should be posting here or in the bad with money thread.

E: in addition to my police check which is $50 so let's just call it $900 all up.

“The Admission Without Examination filing fee is $2500. This fee covers the cost of processing the Application, investigating matters contained in the applicant's completed Character & Fitness Questionnaire, and preparing of the Character Report.”

(Virginia.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Whitlam posted:

That's insane. Do you at least get to have a :krad: admission ceremony?

Hell if I know, I wasn’t going to pay that just to be barred in a state I live in but perform literally zero legal work in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Finished Book 3 of the Stormlight Archives, so its time for you guys to pony up some new reading recommendations.

Also, if you haven't checkout out the Broken Earth series (Book 1 - The Fifth Season, by NK Jemisin) this is your reminder to do so.

Give Naomi Novik’s Uprooted a go.

(Obligatory Craft Sequence recommendation if you haven’t read it yet, Gladstone does good magic as law as magic in a way that’s enjoyable to actual lawyers.)