Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My description in the OP is pretty much the best summary of my life I have ever seen. Go to law school, kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yep, you got that 100% right. Though I agree that means you are the only person allowed to post in the answers thread now!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

SV you are a true hero and I hope you keep stirring things up in the other thread.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Tokelau All Star posted:

We have Lexis Advance which is actually really good and easy to use.

Lexis Advance is so much worse than Westlaw Next. Leagues and leagues. I'm seriously sad my firm is cancelling its Westlaw subscription because it claims that Lexis is an adequate replacement. And that's just the primary research capabilities. The secondary sources on Lexis are also atrocious. (Why is Moore's noticeably worse than Wright & Miller? They've had like a million years to get it up to snuff....)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Green Crayons posted:

Only monsters choose Lexis Advance over Westlaw Next. The Lexis layout and interface is just horrendous. And I say this as someone who preferred old Lexis over old West!

I will say that Lexis does sometimes have cases that for whatever reason aren't on West. It's never a make-or-break case, but it's happened a handful of times in the past three years.

I find that's mostly state trial court decisions. Which are largely useless anyways.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What public systems? Google scholars not atrocious if you have a cite or are looking for pretty general stuff, but it can’t hold a candle to lexis or westlaw yet for real research. If you just mean docket access that’s a different question.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My favorite generic but seemingly different question is: how does your firm try to differentiate itself to clients, as compared to similar firms like XY and Z.

You have to do a modicum of googling or talking to older law students to figure out who the firm thinks of as its competitors in the local market, but it’s otherwise a super low effort question. Plus you can usually crib by just asking about the other firms you’re applying to. (This can backfire if you apply to ten tiny litigation boutiques and one hugelaw firm and are asking the M&A guy.)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Admissions exists to directly provide revenue for the school. Career Services provides indirect revenue if it gets alumni jobs (lol) and those alumni decide to donate to the school (which they do solely for their ego and not because of career services).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I was going to say that Slyfrog is probably on the older end of the thread.

Still, early-to-mid-30s feels like the majority of us.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I wouldn’t worry too much about a six month hop. Depends a little how senior you are, but if you can stomach the new place for a few years it will never matter again. Just know that you’ll probably be burning some bridges at your current place.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That was absolutely the right decision, both morally and legal-ethics-ally. Morally, you’d feel way worse if you didn’t call and something happened, so you did the right thing. Legal-ethics-ally if your bar is considering an explicit amendment to allow what you did, it means some serious big wigs believe it’s the right thing and you’ll have plenty of cover if it blows up.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Tough emotional cases are the worst. I sometimes hate feeling like I have no social impact when I spend rich people’s money to fight over more money, but I am glad I don’t have to deal with the emotions of criminal or family cases.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Really depends whether you are talking public service or private practice/in house. Public sector most places you are sub-100, with a few spots that pay well. Private space you’re back in bimodal land with a bunch making over 100 (the associates I know at firms with 5+ years experience wouldn’t really consider a job that paid less, and even low-100s wouldn’t get much of a second look), and then a chunk in the 60-80 range.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also I didn't make partner and I'm genuinely not sure I care

I’m not even up for partner for a few years and am genuinely debating if it’s worth trying.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The best thing about Anakin’s dialogue is that it’s a way more realistic version of what an angsty teenager would actually say than snappy whedon-esque dialogue. It just so happens that angsty teenagers are insufferable.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yes, that too.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Congrats man, that’s nice to hear!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yuns, what does your firm's realization rate look like for associate time? My feeling from mid-size firms in my town (20-80 attorneys) is associate realization tends to be at least 85%. Unless someone was bullshitting me, which is totally possible. Even at 85%, take a 5th year associate that someone's billing at $400/hr, 1900 hrs, gets you...$646,000 in the door. A third to overhead, a third to associate salary and bennies, and I can see a third going to partner profit.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

Where is your town? Your realization rate looks okay, if a tiny bit low (my recollection from the consulting firms that aggregate data in my city and from my own firm is that 85%+ is pretty normal, so if they're at 85% they might be on the bottom edge).

I have no idea what billing rates for mid-sized firms are in LA, Silicon Valley, or NYC, but in a non-Chicago midwest mid-law firm (using your definition of 20-80 attorneys), you're not billing a 5th year associate out at $400 an hour.

P.S. Mr. Nice - congratulations on the new job. I am very happy for you. :)

The $400/hr figure isn’t the going rate in my town. I just though we were talking about profit per associate at NYC/LA/SF big law. I think local rates for someone in that age range are at least 25% less, possibly an even higher discount, but I haven’t done a reasonable survey of firms to know what folks are charging.

My realization figure was a lowball guess, glad to know it’s typically higher.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

nm posted:

You sound short.

And skinny.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

SAUSAs are either fresh out of school doing it for the experience and so they have connections, meaning they either need a spouse who's working and can support them or some family money or something, or they are employed by another polity/entity that wants to coordinate stuff with the local USAO. Our state's USAO has had both in the past few years, and it has led to jobs for a few people. Just not jobs in the USAO itself, because government.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Sat in on some hearings for the sandy hook parents v Alex Jones lawsuit today. Jones is a douche. Infowarz sucks rear end. But when plaintiff’s lawyer opened her argument by naming every single dead child of the suing parties I kinda wanted to puke. Save it for the jury, lady.

This kind of thing is most frustrating because it doesn’t work 90% of the time. But every now and then you get a judge who’ll let you get away with some bizarre crap and maybe that’s the bizarre crap the judge wants?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

disjoe posted:

e: oh hey I work in banking & finance too. I feel like there's overrepresentation in that area among biglawyers here.

I think that’s just because there’s a general overrepresentation of these clients in big law because they have money and have weird ideas of what it means to be conservative in decision making (hire an expensive firm to tell your investors you are protecting them, ignore the firms advice).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Someone asked me a question I didn't know the answer to and don't have the experience to even guess.

Approximately how many people who start as first-year associates at a biglaw lawfirm are going to make partner? Not just partner track, actually make partner. Including people who leave or get hired away in the answer.

Was working through my phone messages late on a Friday afternoon full of last-minute fires and surprise visits from witnesses and victims. Last phone call is from a victim who wants to "drop charges" because it was a "misunderstanding." Swore, decided to call her back on Monday.

True biglaw (NYC/SF/Chicago, DC/LA, whatever oil city you want to pick), or capital-city-in-any-state biglaw?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My guess is one in seven or eight, but I only have experience with firms at the lower end of AMLAW 100, which is probably smaller than you are thinking.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Go read Toona’s post history. He’s not telling you that it’s a bad idea because he wants to hoard the good jobs. It’s because he had a lot of misadventures along the way.

Then go read Throatwarbler’s post history and realize he is a very successful law school prospect. And probably read all of SV and Vox Nihili’s posts talking about Throatwarbler.

That’s the current law school batch. One with no law degree job required and happier for it, and one probably gonna make hundreds of thousands of oil dollars off the back of Bangladeshi slaves in the UAE.

For older lawyers who actually did make it, read Yuns and Slyfrog’s post histories. You have a psychopathic Norman Bates making a million bucks a year in NYC while his wife makes a few yoga instructors’ days and his kids wonder what a relationship would be like. And you have a depressed divorced man who stepped back from the job because he couldn’t bear the horror of being a success in this miserable job for longer.

Then read AR’s posts and realize that if you can’t love elves you can’t be a prosecutor.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It’s a brisket pho. About 5X more meat under the noodles.

Too many bean sprouts for my taste, but otherwise looks great.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

You mean not as a sort of institutional inertia/won't sell out a useless worker for loyalty issues, but legitimate documented poor performance being insufficient cause?

Mine, I guess? I've certainly seen it, worker protections are pretty stong and poor work performance has to be very well documented as well as documentation of all the things the employer ought to have done to remedy the situation (training, guidance, assistance). Of course, it varies with the job. And god help you if they are a protected class and the dismissal smells of discrimination due to reverse burden of proof/assumption of responsibility.

Protected class issues often cause this. If you have a crappy employee you want to can, but find out just before firing them that they are a member of a protected class, or they fall and get a temporary disability, or whatever, it’s often safer to put them on a PIP and jump through hoops rather than going straight to termination.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

They said it's usually $300-400. And they, the propane company, still has to come out there and disconnect it, pick it up out of the hole, and haul it off. Which they don't charge a fee for. Like, just charge me the $300-400 yourself and do it all yourself then.

You're missing the part about environmental liability and the tendency of any homeowner to scream at them when the removal process damages MAH TREES or a water main or whatever.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I recently read Blindsight and it was fun, but a little disturbing because it’s mostly about sociopaths without empathy and as a lawyer...

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Msm, what are you talking about?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Does your firm not have a paralegal? Adding doc review bullshit to relativity is 100% a paralegal job even if you're at a tiny-rear end shop and have no support staff. In that case you probably aren't even doing relativity by yourself, you're contracting with a litigation support company to provide you with a relativity platform, in which case get them on the phone and ask them what questions you need to be asking the K&E paralegal. Or better yet setup a conference call between your relativity person and K&E.

Basically what I'm saying is the technical bullshit associated with relativity is not a lawyer task.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Sounds like Kirkland drafted the order to make their lives easier. Still, if you want to load things on Relativity then you need to have someone who knows how to do that, either your paralegal or whichever vendor/litigation support service you are using to host your Relativity databases.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oh, I was confused then. I thought you were receiving documents and needed to put them on Relativity for review, in which case you would have needed someone to help you setup Relativity and setup your database, and that’s the person who you should be bugging about load files. If you are producing documents and haven’t needed to use Relativity then maybe things are different.

You could always do what rear end in a top hat opposing counsel always does, and produce a pile of PDFs and let the Kirkland folks decide how much they care about screaming about it to the court. It’s not technically proper but neither is 90% of discovery practice. Asking the court in advance for permission to produce that way is, of course, safer.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Maybe this will finally cause a change in big firm culture?

Lol. Nothing will force a change in big firm culture except multiple large jury verdicts. And even then the real change will be that firms get better at further hiding the behavior behind coded references to hitting hours and commitment to the firm and commitment to the client. And bringing in business and building client relationships.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Perdido Street Station is pretty good, even if it takes a little while to get going.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, every recommendation from everyone that's been made so far.

And yes, Blindsight was fun!

You missed Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville.

Aubrey-Maturin is good, as is the Temeraire series. The Aubrey-Maturin / Temeraire and Horatio Hornblower / Honor Harrington comparisons make me laugh, though, just because David Weber writes like a teenager for teenagers.

City of Brass, by SA Chakraborty, is also good recent fantasy.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

blarzgh posted:

95% of all court cases settle before trial. In my personal experience, about 50% of mediations result in a settlement (that figure may be skewed negatively by recency bias of dumb rear end in a top hat stupid bitch fucker opposing counsels and parties).

Edit: So I did a little informal poll of my past cases of the past few years that settled (no summary judgment, no dismissal, no trial - actual settlement reached) and here is what I'm seeing:

Of all those cases, half of them settled between the attorneys, with no mediation required.

Of the cases that went to mediation, about 75% of those settled at mediation, or shortly thereafter as a proximate result of the progress made at mediation.

The remaining 25% of them settled much later on, or were dismissed/disposed of for some other reason.

I just had a mediation fall apart after three hours when the plaintiff refused to make an opening offer.

Why waste my time? If you're not going to make an offer, at least have your attorney call me and tell me that it will probably be a waste of time, and ask me to waive the pre-suit mediation requirement. Grumble grumble.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It's just qualified immunity for warrants.

I actually wonder if we'd be better off if we simultaneously got rid of the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine and qualified immunity. The government gets to use evidence obtained in violation of the Fourth Amendment, but officers can be held liable for those violations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I taught LSAT prep to some folks who could only score low 140's on practice exams. They were perfectly nice people who were completely unable to identify the topic of a paragraph. I cannot imagine them being competent lawyers.