Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ran into an acquaintance from law school a few weeks ago. Said he was "busy as hell, and couldn't stop to talk". Ran into him again and stopped to chat. I asked him, "hey, you still work for ICE?" and he cringed and said, "please don't say that out loud." They're probably hiring a lot, maybe even ALJs! Or not, hard to say what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
One of thr first cases I worked on was a Brady-bunch family where Mom married step-dad, and thrn after Mom died, she has step-dad as executor of a substantial estate. He starts spending it like mad, so Mom's daughters sue him to stop it and it escalates from there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

Sorry cant hear you too busy loving my defined benefit pension

You'll have to wait until Paul Ryan is done doing that first.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I certainly get a bit of shameful joy whenever I reject paperwork for minor errors. "Sorry, your client didn't date the paperwork, fix that and call back."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

No one can hear you scream in a cabin in the woods?

No, that's what he says to the goons that come over to visit.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

For some reason I have the "What have I become, my sweetest friend" lyric from Hurt running through my head over and over. I am so sorry for my (unintended) role in this godforesaken travesty.

I made a quesadilla last night. With shredded major grocery chain cheese that says something about being "Mexican" on it. Is that close enough to tacos?

Man, that shredded cheese stuff is a life-saver. Handful of it in any meal turns it into a gourmet experience for the kids. Heck, when I'm too tired to cook, they'll eat it straight out of the bag.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So ask about work/life balance and mention that your wife/mistress/girlfriend is about to have oir first child this summer and I look forward to experiencing this miracle of life! Good way to play for sympathy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

1. I've looked at a few of my colleagues open cases. He has multiple cases with the firm he's joining. I'm giving him until the end of today to let our admin know.

JFC, that's like, super bad. Unless he works for the administration and ethics rules don't apply to him. Or maybe Texas is more relaxed about that sort of thing.

.1 hours, consultation on ethics issues.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
At my agency you're supposed to remove yourself from any cases if you're applying for jobs with the opposing side. Which is obviously a huge tell if you tell your boss that you can't work on evicting the war widow being represented by the firm, but you don't technically have to tell them you're interviewing.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

wow look at little lord fauntleroy over here sipping his fancy distilled liquor from a glass like some sort of fuckin Frenchman instead of just guzzling antifreeze from a radiator like our forefathers before us

Uh yeah, this is the thread for Esquires, not common plebs.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Well that I can see.

Opposing counsel though.

Opposing counsel.

Counsel or councel though? If you are councel, all bets are off.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
40, suckers!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Well. There’s that whole “you can be court-martialed for boning enlisted” thing too.

Turtle sushi is the best sushi-go-round ever. In addition to waiting for the stuff on the belt (that they made look like a train) there is a second rail for direct table orders. It looks like the bullet train. It’s not actually called turtle sushi. But damned if I know it’s real name. Everyone called it turtle sushi because it had kawaii turtles on the sign. That apparently were actually canal monsters? gently caress it. Turtles.

And the answer is Modern. There ends the list.

You mean Kappas? They have bowls of water on their head, if they get spilled, they die.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

There was a big report about how this place is a giant money laundering operation that bought off all the local officials so ; lmao

Did you know that thanks to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, gambling losses are now fully deductible? Sounds like a great opportunity for money laundering and tax evasion!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I thought Romney's shtick wasn't the backdoor Roth, but that he blatantly undervalued the assets he was contributing and nobody called him on it (that we know of).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Sorry sir, I didn't do the reading. Can I pass on the question?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also if my goat is stolen, and I later find it at someone’s house and that person can’t produce a witness to say they bought the goat from a merchant, then they should be put to death.

If a man builds a house, and it collapses within a year of construction, the builder will pay for it. If ir collapses and kills the buyer's wife, he shall pay 5 mina of silver. If it kills the buyer's son, his son will be put to death. If it kills the buyer, he shall be put to death.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If a judge try a case, reach a decision, and present his judgment in writing; if later error shall appear in his decision, and it be through his own fault, then he shall pay twelve times the fine set by him in the case, and he shall be publicly removed from the judge's bench, and never again shall he sit there to render judgment.

If a barkeeper does not accept corn according to gross weight in payment of a drink, but takes money, and the price of the drink is less than that of the corn, she shall be convicted and thrown into the water.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Wait until you have to drum up and maintain the source of the money that pays you and all the people who work for you.

Ugg. Our rear end in a top hat boss tweeted out that he wasn't giving out raises this year. Hopefully the people who actually make that decision won't listen to him and give us our modest 1.5% or whatever it is.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

I'm just busting your balls, although HDD might enjoy hearing about veterans being evicted.

Sure, but this is a story of veterans not being evicted, which will only make him sad.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I don't give a poo poo about someones moral character if I thought they'd be a good judge. But I also think kavanaugh is a dime a dozen judge with no original thoughts so let him fail the vote and confirm Kozinski or Kaczinskyi.

It's extra fun because lawyers and judges should be extra familiar with issues of witness reliability and statutes of limitation but until Trump is out of office all women must be believed. Which I'm fine with because I think he isn't going to be a good judge

I mean, he's committed perjury in both hearings, he's apparently taking bribes, his legal opinions are entirely dependent on who's in power, and he was up to his neck in some of the worst excesses of the Bush administration. So yeah, perfect judge.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the judge vetting group the republicans use was well aware of Kavanaugh's potential liabilities. I seem to recall that he wasn't on the approved list of judges, and Trump selected him entirely because he wrote that the president is immune to criminal liability.

Perhaps, like the heroes in Trading Spaces, they have a bet to see who the most reprehensible person they can get on the Supreme Court is.

sullat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 25, 2018

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What are you referring to?

I think Feinstein sat on Ford's accusations for like two months until Ford's Congresswoman leaked it to the press. That didn't give the accusers enough time to prepare for the shitstorm that rained down in like a week. Furthermore, the whole "hire a prosecutor to grill the witness and then get rid of her because the nominee is melting under the slightest pressure" made it look like the whole thing was rigged in favor of the nominee.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

There's a good thread title lurking about "in lawyer world, letting your client die is the more ethical thing to do." Alas, I haven't put my finger on the perfect title yet.

Dead clients file no bar complaints.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's not about actually getting him to recuse himself. It's so Democrats are constantly reminded why you show up on election day.

Can we also talk about how Kavanaugh appears to either be dumb as hell or think we all are? His op-ed that says he was "emotional" in a loving prepared statement?

Emotional is code for drunk.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

WaveLength posted:

Lol law is so fake

They are finally letting me us the computer program that lets us give people advice.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We were told we were going to get paternity leave, and a year later when I asked about, was told nobody had any idea what the hell I was talking about, get back to work!

Thanks, Obama!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
There's nothing like having a smiling angelic child come up to you, and say "Daddy, look at this picture I drew for you!" And then he shows you the picture, drawn with purloined sharpie, on the living room wall. Well, it's the buyer's problem now.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I am learning all about the exciting changes from the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" or TCJA. It has been very refreshing, although the guy sitting next to me keeps waking me up whenever something he thinks is "important to know" comes up.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

disjoe posted:

COMES NOW ON BEHALF OF ALL JEWS

Oh, shoot, better get myself removed from the class so I can sue this Obama fellow independently.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just a reminder, I won a 2 million dollar jury trial last week.

drat, that's one hefty speeding ticket.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gleri posted:

How can you have a government without a budget? In the Canadian system basically all government spending requires a vote from Parliament (or the provincial legislature). Loss of supply means you cannot govern.

We've managed for the last 8 years or so.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't find the original video that first pointed it out 5 or 6 years ago, but since them both George Lucas and the actor who played Jar Jar have basically confirmed that it was the plan. Jar Jar was supposed to be the dark side Yoda. Lucas loves his "rhyming" themes. If you watch episode 1, Jar Jar demonstrates cunning athletic ability, complete disregard for jedi and their powers, and is somehow completely and utterly feared by every other gungan. There are even a number of scenes where Jar Jar seems to be using force control abilities to make people say things he wants.

Since Jar Jar was universally despised, they scrapped the idea and basically wrote him out of the remaining two movies as much as possible. That's why Count Dooku just comes out of nowhere plot wise. It was supposed to be a yoda v jar jar battle instead.

I know this thread enjoys hazing as much as any other thread full of misanthropic recluses, but trying to trick people into re-watching Episode 1 is beyond the pale...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I actually tried watching solo and was shocked at how muddy and ugly and hard to see the characters were in the beginning. Thought maybe it was my tv? And switched to fury road which still looks amazing and said nope, this is Ron Howard's fault

It's ok if you don't understand why last Jedi is much better than rogue one and the excrementable force awakens, but let's all at least admit the last great blockbuster was fury road

To be fair, a lot of rogue ones problems was the studio flipping out over space Iraq, deleting most of the two lead characters personalities and then throwing in a meaningless fanservice space battle at the end to cover up for the butchering of the first 2/3rds of the movie . So it wasn't a giant directorial fuckuo like force awakens was where Abrams said you know how you make a good movie, is you only make half of one and say come back next time!

Is Fury Road out on Netflix yet?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Netflix doesn't have movies it's just a premium cable channel at this point

If you want movies you get a networked hard drive and a $35 raspberry pi 3, throw xbmc on it and use that for a decade and counting

I went to law school, not computer school.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EDiQXhYIKY

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ewoks are inferior but Stormtroopers can’t shoot straight and are known incompetents. Complaint is a wash.

Also Ewoks > JarJar.

The Ewok thing is straight pulled from an Ursula LeGuin story, IIRC.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I actually just downloaded some le guin books because my wife keeps telling me I only reference the same handful of them over and over

Hopefully i can get through them I've always found le guins writing off putting

Not enough obsessive descriptions of hair pulling or food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

joat mon posted:

Avatar too (not the characters, but the story)

Yeah, Lucas was at least subtle about it.