Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Looks like this will be the year when I'll start applying to US and Canadian law schools, because my bar association membership and 9 years of PQE were both earned in a second world country.

Am I correct in the assumption that work experience and LSAT will have to do the heavy lifting in my case, and that GPA will be pretty much irrelevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

Both LSAT score and GPA matter. Work experience not so much.
I see, thank you.

Is it just the undergrad GPA that is taken into account? (Mine is as bad as it is ancient, but I did get an LLM and an MBA since then.)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

thread question:describe yourself as a mixed drink recipe

If you're off the sauce, tell us your virgin form
Five liters of espresso.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

I just mean what do people actually do to dissipate bathing in other people's misery. Mindfulness is not it
I name my Darkest Dungeon characters after my clients and coworkers.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Made rookie mistake on my LSAT: got stuck solving a logic game instead of moving on, so by the time the 5 minutes call went out, I was still on question 9. :(

I'll definitely be retaking it in June, but now I wonder whether I should cancel Saturday's score altogether.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

While that's a great idea in general, I fear that it might be too late to make that pivot in my case, seeing as how I've been practicing law for nine years now (not in a common law jurisdiction, though, hence the need for LSAT and extra years of schooling). As for substance abuse and suicide risks, I hope that getting out of Russia will help with both.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

nm posted:

Did you change your name or did we get another Russian lawyer?
The latter!

(Hi, I'm Eph. I mostly do IP-related stuff.)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Thank you for answering my question. If that's what passes for logic in the heathen West these days, I will do just fine. :D

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

So I have retaken LSAT after cancelling the spring results and got 171, which should be enough for my purposes.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nice job. Downside is now you’re going to be come a lawyer.
Not much of a downside, really. I've been lawyering for over a decade, and now I'll get to do that in a jurisdiction that doesn't consistently feature in "worst countries to live in if you're LGBT+" lists and will likely do so for the rest of my lifetime.

It's still uncertain whether it will be Canada or the US, but I expect to nail that choice down by the end of this year.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 10, 2019

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Lol people thinking you can just up and move to Canada like they don’t have an immigration policy.
If the current trend with Express Entry cutoff thresholds holds, a one-year program in Canada should give me just enough points for permanent residence (not just eligibility, I've had that for years, but actually getting selected).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

It appears that my choice now is between WashU St. Louis with a nice fat no-strings-attached scholarship and Georgetown without one. Given my complicated circumstances, it's not an easy one.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Don't you already have practice experience in your country in some form and like almost a decade long career?
Yes, that's one of the circumstances I've mentioned. I'll be 40 by the time I graduate, so there aren't all that many productive years left ahead.

The other side of the equation is that if I fail to get a good enough job (i.e. one that comes with a work visa, pays sufficiently to sustain a family of three and is stable enough to make us eligible for eventual immigration) lined up for me by graduation time, I'll die (not an exaggeration, that's what going back to my shithole country and detransitioning will amount to). That's why it's very tempting to go for the Georgetown option, because I want to stack my deck as much as possible to avert that possibility.

The final thing is that there's a small but nonzero chance that I might be able to get funds for this mad venture from a rich relative rather than the bank (effectively getting my inheritance upfront instead of being saddled with massive debt), but I won't be able to have that discussion with them until the epidemic crisis winds down, and the clock for making the decision keeps ticking.

So yes, it's kind of complicated.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 11, 2020

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Started my first week at Georgetown. All is well so far.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

nm posted:

Are you in person or remote?

Also, every day is an opportunity to not become a lawyer.
It's all remote for now.

As for the "don't become a lawyer", it's still ten years too late for that.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Are you doing an LLM?
Nope, a J.D.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I'm an IP lawyer and I would appreciate a discord invite link.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Thank you.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

As an over-educated degree chaser who has done a bunch of career pivots and had most of them fail, I would generally advise caution.

That said, getting a JD literally saved my life, so if you are in a position where it will save yours, go for it.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

Law school is a real school with a curriculum. It’s not an MBA
As someone who did both, I can attest that this is 200% correct.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Also do not create documents from fictional governments, ie Moorish American passports. The crooked USA system will not recognize them.
Next you'll be telling me that Cobrastan is not a real country.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I think that one's an edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

As someone who went to her third law school at 38, I would highly recommend doing that if it would literally save you and your loved ones from death or worse, and if someone else was paying for it too.