Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

TheMadMilkman posted:

The Toona posts are missing the one where he states which classrooms and offices he and the study partner defiled.

Future generations of Duquesne law students need to know where Toona threw ropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Vox Nihili posted:

in two (2) years i will reveal my practice area. prepare your disgust.

Asbestos defense?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Tipps posted:

. I once had to write an opinion about who owns the remains of an iceman found buried in permafrost.

Well who owned him?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

Why would there be an "interests" section on a resume at all
Is this an American thing or am I just bad at resume?

Should have been a “personal goals” section.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

Out of curiosity, are there a lot of old homophobic judges that would invalidate that will? (Assuming will just says everything goes to the boyfriend)

How much discretion do judges get on making that determination?

I wonder if hating gays is a bigger priority for any judge than not getting dunked on by the appeals court.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

As someone who took an analyst job (at a big law firm) as my first real post-license job, it took me 9 years to climb out from under it and my career is still very stunted.

The problem is that “analyst” is a bullshit job title that doesn’t mean anything. So nobody knew what I did and how it amounted to any legal experience at all. I would have been better off finding a paralegal job and that’s basically what I have now with 50:50 lawyer:paralegal duties.

At the same time you do what you have to do. I got married and had kids in those 9 years so I didn’t hustle on getting a better job until a year ago. Just keep looking for something better and leave as soon as possible.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

evilweasel posted:

also it's worth pointing out that a state job is, basically, a job for as long as you want it while most private practice jobs are going to be sort of an up or out situation

Also this. You can be a piece of poo poo at work doing just enough to get by while you use state government internet to apply for better jobs.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Get paid, hope the surgery goes ok. Congrats, dude.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Link to this thread plz

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ahahahahahahahahaha. I hope he gets goaded in to removing to federal. I’m sad he got a lawyer though.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

nm posted:

I worked for a private attorney for like 10 minutes and the idea that Westlaw costs money is just shocking to me.
Like I couldn't work anywhere without unlimited unfettered westlaw or I'd have huge Bill's. And also not be able to look up poo poo randomly for no reason.

How long ago was this? Westlaw is basically flat rate now. You don’t pay per click to access primary law or run searches anymore.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Arcturas posted:

Lexis Advance is so much worse than Westlaw Next. Leagues and leagues. I'm seriously sad my firm is cancelling its Westlaw subscription because it claims that Lexis is an adequate replacement. And that's just the primary research capabilities. The secondary sources on Lexis are also atrocious. (Why is Moore's noticeably worse than Wright & Miller? They've had like a million years to get it up to snuff....)

Word.

My old firm used to have both. Then they decided they would have only one and they picked Lexis bc money. Over the course of the contract we had multiple instances of Shepard’s being wrong. Not a little wrong, but malpractice wrong. Next negotiation period, we went Westlaw and had no problems. Lexis is hot garbage.

E: Westlaw also has some cases Lexis doesn’t have. Each has about 10% cases the other doesn’t have, and yeah they’re usually state court garbage.

Westlaws Pacer overlay is also so much more reliable.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 13, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

gently caress Texas for being the only Secretary of State website you can’t even SEARCH for free. And of course the system to do that is trash tier and guarantees you have to run more searches than should be needed.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I would have thought that pre-Jordan Peterson.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Possible recent article for the OP: http://www.abajournal.com/voice/article/an_open_letter_to_potential_law_students_know_the_truth/

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Soothing Vapors posted:

but sadly no one would post the words "the availability of affordable domestic help in Dubai are big draws, and I'm fine with Shari'a" unless they are trolling

I don’t know, I think he laid some solid groundwork for Clueless Idiot with the are you a Jew email saga. If it’s a troll, it’s a long con.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

A+ trolling

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You don't get to give advice

Unless someone asks “how do I get myself a slave?”

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

SlyFrog posted:

Is he actually conservative? I honestly don't know. Someone suggested the book to me for a very different reason - understanding why, even when you leave poverty and abuse behind and become successful, that things don't magically become better.

I didn't know he was pro-conservative.

He almost ran for Senate in Ohio this year and he was going to run as a Republican.

Counterpoint to anyone having credibility bc they grew up poor and now think bootstraps conservatism works: Ben Carson.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

blarzgh posted:

I remember half joking during the primaries about wanting him to get elected because I wanted to see our country burn to the ground, while consuming itself and now I'm sorry.

I troll voted for Trump in the primary to help give the GOP what it deserved. My vote didn’t matter. I still feel bad about it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Update on in-house small claims. I did not know that lawyers aren’t allowed in California small claims court. We get to send an employee. I think pro se guy might get dunked on though, but we still expect he won’t 100% lose.

Sue people in small claims as a career.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Are pain and suffering damages allowed in CA small claims?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

How are they counting your hours? Time you’re in the office or billable?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm working from home so my hours right now are whatever I tell them. AFAIK it's actual clock hours not billable (only supposed to be 20 hours a week at max right now) and they only have a little bit of stuff for me to work on right now anyways. I just found out about the hourly pay so I don't have a whole lot of details.

I thought you had a state analyst job lined up? I’d take that instead.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

You’re around Tallahassee, right? Seems like that market is state job or bust for lawyers. So looking at Tampa, Jax, or South Florida for real opportunity. How often are you applying in other markets?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lol never heard anyone describe doc review as lucrative.

It’s $27 an hr here if you can get in at the good doc review mill. Some ads are for as low as $15 an hr. Either way it’s feast or famine with no benefits.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

My kids traded in Paw Patrol for Puppy Dog Pals. I’m not willing to say it’s better but it’s a welcome change. It’s fine bc they watch Spider-Man way more.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yeah. Use them and then bounce for something better.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Those settlements just around the corner are either bullshit or if they exist they won’t raise your pay based on that.

I cancelled an interview one time I found out the firm was super Christian. It was also 90 minutes away in a town of only 100k. What tipped the scale for me is I heard they accepted payments of like jewelry from clients. As Jesus would do.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It’s Tennessee and yes it’s allowed.

CA lets you take stock in a clients company. I assume that’s ok bc that’s what Boies Schiller did with Theranos. That’s super hosed up.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 19, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Nirvikalpa posted:

I'll just say it's T14 and leave it at that.

I see. Do you know why he might be having trouble with interviews?

Either his grades or his personality are bad.

If his grades are bad then his scholarship is at risk and he should leave. If it’s his personality he should finish it out bc a completed JD is better than a failed JD.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

blarzgh posted:

Point:

Conclusion:
I can't, in good conscience, tell your friend they should give up a free education, even one they might only use as a stepping stone to a different career, because "its hard and discouraging."

That’s where Im at too. And it doesn’t even sound like the school part is hard for him. So it’s just discouraging. He’s never going to make it in any high compensation field if he’s that easily discouraged. Also he can’t possibly be that empty of a person to only want to do corporate law. He probably doesn’t know what practicing corporate law actually involves.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 20, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

To play Devil's Advocate, almost no firm is special, and expecting someone to ask a question about a firm when you've given out a brochure and then talked to them about the firm's expectations is pissing into the wind. Like what do you want them to ask? How often do you guys have firm bbq's?

Just ask about firm culture or something. Is it collegial compared to other firms or whatever.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

“Are you Jewish? How Jewish is the firm?”

Two questions right there.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yep, you should tell. It smells enough like a conflicts problem that you won’t just be tattling Bc you hate him.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Career services is the absolute most useless part of any law school faculty/payroll. They should axe them all and knock $50 off everyone’s tuition.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

So this dude thinks he can count cards as a trial lawyer = wins? Gonna be lol when his client isn’t the government.

Also yeah, he needs to be walled off now and his new firm can’t use him for those.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

blarzgh posted:

Pretty sure thats the Admissions department

They’re not useless, they’re complicit.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Vox Nihili posted:

I know a guy from law school who failed the bar exam 3 (or more) times. Not sure if he ever passed, actually.

Turns out he works for the school's admissions department now.

Did career services find him the job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: two posts right after mine talking about the same thing. Someone called me a gunner in this thread when I first got excited about Stambovsky.

E: class action firm still hasn't got back with me. not surprised. saw a job posting in Gainesville for a part time lawyer at a LL/tenant clinic for 22/hrs a week at $35-50/hr that I might through an application at. Just have to find a way to get to gainesville and a place to crash 3 nights a week.

Tinder up a UF student.