Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
You had one job you ancient gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

And I did it. You're here, aren't you?

Fffffuck

Also since I'm up for a vote in the fall thanks for the existential terror inspired by the "so you're a partner now" post

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

The biographies section is particularly well done and 100% accurate

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

stopped posting for 3 years, still in the top 10

get on my level you fuckin trash

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I saw a post about "auto admit" and horrible incel racism at the very end of the last thread, and now I'm intrigued.

What's up with that?

That's pretty opimistic, Mr. Manafort.

Autoadmit aka xoxohth was at one time a very popular lawchat forum filled with desperate misogynistic incel strivers obsessed with vault rankings, prestige and "owning libtards"

It's still there but it's now a shadow of its former self, much like these very forums

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

blarzgh posted:

A fitting end.
Corncobbed to the very end

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Alexeythegreat posted:

Why would there be an "interests" section on a resume at all
Is this an American thing or am I just bad at resume?

Mostly so when I get bored of talking about how much Fungible Snotnosed Law School Creep #1,451 "loves the law" I can have a conversation with him about football or whatever

nm posted:

PD in Hawaii who either moved or is moving to Michigan like an idiot.
welcome to the murder mitten bitch

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I'm telling myself that thread about the gay kids inheritance is a troll so I can sleep at night

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

The trump thread is 100% convinced Ellis is out to ratfuck the case and I dont know how to adequately explain to then that no, most article iii judges are just egodriven preening turds

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Millennial posted:

I recommend a two month sabbatical from legal practice to flick the reset switch and re-energise.

Feel so much better about my small place in this rubbish profession after taking two months off. Read no less than six books, went swimming at the beach at least weekly (I'm Australian) and visited neglected family and friends.

Also as a lawyer and gay white male I hope that family gets crucified, used to hear stories of this which imparted if nothing else the importance of equal marriage.

Put me in the OP if you like, but there are billables to be done, so will see you next time eighty hours work in non-biglaw require sabbatical.

I can't really think of a faster way to tank your legal career in the toxic world of American law firms than to ask for a sabbatical. We had to basically threaten to strike to get the old fucks who run our firm to authorize a four-week paternity leave, and no one has been brave enough to take all four weeks yet. OId withered boomer partners view things like "wanting to spend time with your newly born child" or "taking a break so I don't kill myself and everyone around me" as weakness

Vox Nihili posted:

the older ones are effectively powerful, ancient, hateful liches.
this is perfect

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

GamingHyena posted:

Just got a Not Guilty on a felony drug case where my guy was looking at a possible life sentence. :feelsgood:

Awesome. Imagine how mad the prosecutor is right now, stewing in impotent filth

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I honestly don't know how the rest of y'all do it.
crying myself to sleep on a pallet stuffed with money

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Alexeythegreat posted:

Where can I get that pallet

you can pick one up at 5 AM in the corner office of any Senior Partner near you

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

gently caress that. Demi Moore looks like a more mature Actus Rhesus. Bitch is 20 years older than I am.

your modesty is your most endearing quality

Look Sir Droids posted:

gently caress Texas
yea

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Do not post sincere replies to throatwarbler. He is either a troll or evil.

I genuinely hope he is real because I love the idea that someone as vapid and casually amoral as throatwarbler is a member of our august profession, and we helped get him there

but sadly no one would post the words "the availability of affordable domestic help in Dubai are big draws, and I'm fine with Shari'a" unless they were trolling

nm posted:

Thoatwarbler is a worse person than SV.
Sorry SV, gotta up your slavery game.

phil moscowitz voted for trump and you have the nerve to imply I'm the worst person in this thread????

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 14, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Making poo poo up now, totally uncalled for

we live in a post-truth society, deal with it old man

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don’t know, I think he laid some solid groundwork for Clueless Idiot with the are you a Jew email saga. If it’s a troll, it’s a long con.

I will definitely agree he has put some serious manhours into pretending to be a moron

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

that reminds me, I found cloudberry flavored yogurt in my local yuppiefood store and when I saw it I was gripped by an overwhelming, jealous hatred of Nice Fish so intense it took my breath away

plz invite me to yr cabin so I can talented Mr Ripley you, tia

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

RFX posted:

I just started reading the last thread and this one after a year hiatus, which seems to correspond with when I started seeking help and started taking Prozac. I still hate my biglaw job and want to do something else, but at least I don't have breakdowns in the middle of work anymore and can make it through the day doing my job semi-competently.

Basically: Don't go to law school, but if you already did, please see a mental health professional.

This is good advice and kudos for being smart enough to get some help

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

look I'm really bored

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

nm posted:

Please keep posting the legal thread, but make sure your posting isn't quite frequent enough to arouse suspicion.

I was never going to post again (I really just wanted to post "common law means it's for the common man") but I am weak and lack discipline

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

I think they primarily don't give a gently caress, and wonder why so much time is spent on figuring out which bathrooms people can use when they can't get decent paying jobs and are dying en masse from poor health care, drug epidemics, etc., and are seeing their purchasing power just get destroyed by growing wealth inequality. The difference is, to them, wealth inequality is solved magically by giving them more opportunities, rather than taking something from those who already have.
if only there was a political movement that they could support that would address these issues :(

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

america bad

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When I read the book I honestly didn’t see any point to it. Just a meandering biography with no real critique or social commentary other than “granny was tough.”

Yea

Vance is a shitbag, his book is meaningless pablum, let's not fight about it dear friends

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I remember when all we had to worry about in this life was whether John Kerry ate the right cheese on his sandwich and whether our president liked gay French mustard instead of heterosexual American mustard

those were good days

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

blargh your new avatar is Very Good

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Toona the Cat posted:

Pittsburgh has a ridiculously low cost of living, my live-in ex-wife makes good money, I sold my house, and even with one week off out of every 4 I’m making more than my PD colleagues with 5-6 years experience. My company is $26 unlicensed, $32 licensed with no OT limit.
Replace op with this grim poo poo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

my newest criminal client is cellmates with a "lawyer" (read: not a lawyer). I've sunk immeasurable hours into his defense already. I drove two hours to meet with him, on a Sunday, so he could lecture me at length about how everything I've done to defend him is wrong, I don't understand the sentencing guidelines, I don't understand his "rights" under the offense he's been charged with, and I need to tell the USAO that we won't accept a plea offer with any penalty more severe than probation

on the way home I drove over a wooden bridge and I swear to god it was the closest I've ever come. luckily I realized I need to be around to see Toona end up sucking dicks for meth in an alley in 2-4 years

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 19, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Cringing at how whiny that last post was. ol Vapors was feeling fussy about not being able to daydrink all day Sunday because of this turd. replaced 20% of my blood with bourbon as soon as I got back from lockup and I'm feeling much better

Nice piece of fish posted:

If it helps, motherfucker dug his own grave and you're just a paid coffin hauler. gently caress'm, he wants to antagonize and ignore the only guy on his team? He' gonna be just a story to you less than a week after he's put away.
This is very true, and really should be my mantra at this point

Pook Good Mook posted:

Obviously make sure to get all this in writing, "I advised my client of X, he refuses anything that isn't Y. Signed:______"
Yeah I really need to step up my CYA letters with this basket of turds, I've been slacking on sending them and I know after today I'm going to need them down the road with this guy

nm posted:

This is like 50% of all public defender clients. The other half aren't in custody, so they don't have a cellie.
(Then the 2% with really good cases want to plea out.)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Crim law is such utter poo poo
:yeah: x2 Dont do crim folks, unless you're an AUSA

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

It's amazing how bad law students are at interviewing, and how little career services does to prep them. Every year, without fail, I reserve the last 5 minutes of an OCI screener to ask the candidate: "So what questions can I answer for you about Shitfucker, Snuffgoblin and Jones PLLC?" Generally speaking if you can't feign enough interest in my firm to find a few things to ask about, you're probably not getting a callback. That poo poo's like Interviewing 101. Every year, without fail, one third to one half of the kids I'm screening will shrug at me and say "I don't have any questions" or its cousin, "you answered all my questions."

I have been interviewing at the same school for six years, and I have this exact discussion every year with career services in our post-OCI debrief. At no point does it ever appear that career services has ever passed this along to their kids.

But then again, I've also had more than one kid straight up tell me "I'm not sure I want to be a lawyer, but I thought I'd try out a summer at your firm and see if I like it." Maybe there is just no helping law students.

eke out posted:

OCI interview question: how much should I focus on a firm's Dubai office, and to what extent should I ask them about their live-in slaves affordable domestic help?

lol

I enjoy your posts as a rule, but every one of them is made even better by imagining the dog in your avatar is posting it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

To play Devil's Advocate, almost no firm is special, and expecting someone to ask a question about a firm when you've given out a brochure and then talked to them about the firm's expectations is pissing into the wind. Like what do you want them to ask? How often do you guys have firm bbq's?
While I agree entirely with the proposition that no firm is special, the problem is that all firms think they're special. Our recruiting committee has long, toxic, horrendous meetings about how we can best convey the Secret Magic that makes SS&J PLLC such an amazing place to work. Other members of the recruiting committee are intensely concerned that successful candidates express a deep and abiding interest what makes our firm culture so very, very unique. If you can't play the game, you are loving useless and I will never get you through committee.

Pose some sort of moderately intelligent question that I can then use as a springboard to start a dialogue with you about things that specifically interest you about our firm. Are you most interested in the city? The ~firm culture~? The ~work/life balance~? Corporate? Our thrilling and nonexistant international business law group that we trumpet on our website for some unknown reason? Litigation? My specific practice area? One of the topics covered on our recruitment website? A cool case I had? The tastiest partner dick I ever sucked? Asking questions 1.) relieves me of the burden of having to scan your pitiful trashbrain resume and ask you questions about why you joined the Federalist Society, 2.) allows me to convey to the partners who hold your greasy soul in their hands that you care so, so deeply about us.

evilweasel posted:

the most important reason to have questions to ask is the interviewer probably ran out of questions and wants to shift the burden onto you to come up with some, having no questions is not just poor preparation but you're making their life harder

Exactly.

Ani posted:

You should convey that you have spent 2-3 hours researching the firm and envisioning working there and ask questions that would naturally arise out of that. They don't have to be particularly insightful, but should at least make sense. Easy questions are asking about the assignment system (free market vs rotations, how does it work in practice?), main practice areas especially when interviewing with someone who works in those areas, recent deals or cases (if the interviewer worked on them) or what kind of work junior associates will be getting and how that changes as you get more senior. That should be able to chew up 5-10 minutes, which is all you really need (and you can ask the same questions to each person at the same firm when you do a callback). You can also get the interviewers talking by asking them about their typical day or most interesting deal/case, and since lawyers love telling their boring war stories, it'll make them like you more as well.

Also exactly. The fact that career services departments aren't out there teaching 1Ls the rules of this incredibly simple game is shameful.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow, he asked about culture? Probably scared of putting in the hours, strike him.

No joke, a partner on our RC expressed his Grave and Serious Concerns about a promising minority candidate with good grades and good regional ties -- a practically unheard of trifecta in this market -- because the candidate asked about work/life balance at lunch, and he thought that was a sign of a weak and lazy mind or some poo poo. Our recruitment page uses the phrase work-life balance like 50 times. Luckily we outvoted him and then he was a passive aggressive twat for the rest of the meeting. What I'm trying to say here is death to all boomers

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

My view: asking about work/life balance is very much an "it depends" kind of thing. If the firm's recruiting website talks about it at any length, that's an invitation to ask. I wouldn't make it my first/only question. And ask it in a smart way.

BAD: "HEY CAN I GO HOME AT 5:30???"
GOOD: "so, I saw your website mentioned that SS&J ranked 15th on Capitalism Magazine's 500 Cool Places to Die at Your Desk List last year -- what's your typical workday like? why do you think you ranked that highly?"

Also it depends on your options. Desperate for any job so you don't have to fight Toona for methdick in the alley? Maybe be judicious. top 20% at a T14? pull the trigger, rock star

SlyFrog posted:

Seriously, I am in the camp that you never ask about work/life balance. It's the equivalent of asking about length and girth with a scared look on your face. It doesn't matter whether it's painful, your job is to just fit it in there somehow. No one wants to hear about how you don't like that stretched out feeling afterward.
a hauntingly apt metaphor, kudos

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 20, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

blarzgh posted:

OC: "Well then you're just plain stupid. And if you file a motion to compel, we WILL be asking for our attorneys fees. Take care."
*click*
lol. GOVERN YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY

I will never understand non-litigators, how can you not want this poo poo in your life

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

You had a good run but you jumped the shark with the slavery comments and now we are in that last season where no one gives a poo poo any more and the story lines are stupid

I honest to god don't even know why people reply to him anymore, it's gone from subtle fun trolling to the kind of lazy, sloppy poo poo you'd see out of some TTT prosecutor's office in a New England backwater

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

lol

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

cant believe my good friend hot dog day number ninety and one is a fuckin snitch

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I assume they remanded Manafort to the marshals after the verdict, right? He’s been incarcerated this whole time?

yeah, remember he had a cushy jail cell with his own phone and crazy privileges, then his lawyers filed a dumb motion whining about dumb poo poo and the judge transferred him to a worse facility

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

A final follow up to my ethics issue. The attorney has been let go due to failure to disclose a conflict. Im glad I reported. I was given his agency issued fan.

lol

to the victor, etc

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Oh I actually did advise him to tell the agency first. I spent an entire day telling him. He kept insisting it's not a conflict.

Also, I'm loving glad I murdered him I got a fan.

It’s called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal. You dont have a fan. But if you say bad things about somebody, if you make up stories.
They make up things and now they go from no fan to having a fan and they are a national hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I'm not having a psychotic break, I swear

quote:

"It's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal," Trump said in the interview, adding he's witnessed similar scenarios over his decades in public life. "I know all about flipping, 30, 40 years I have been watching flippers. Everything is wonderful and then they get 10 years in jail and they flip on whoever the next highest one is or as high as you can go."

Suspects cooperating with prosecutors in exchange for a reduced sentence is a central feature of the criminal justice system, but Trump has long valued loyalty over legal precedent or practice.

Cohen pleaded guilty to myriad financial crimes this week in federal court in Manhattan, including campaign finance violations involving his attempt to buy the silence of women who claim they had sexual affairs with Trump.

"If you can say something bad about Donald Trump and you will go down to two years or three years, which is the deal he made, in all fairness to him, most people are going to do that," Trump said of Cohen, who he described as only a "part-time" lawyer. "And I have seen it many times. I have had many friends involved in this stuff. It's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal."

I’ve seen it many times," Trump said, without providing examples. "They make up things and now they go from 10 years to they’re a national hero."

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 23, 2018