Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Hello new thread.

I am a gov lawyer working in the Canadian Arctic. My day to day practice involves walruses, caribou, and polar bears. I once had to write an opinion about who owns the remains of an iceman found buried in permafrost.

My advice to all newly called lawyers: go wherever you need to to get a good job, even if that place doesn't get sunlight for half the year.

E: my daily summer schedule made it into the OP :3:

Tipps fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Look Sir Droids posted:

Well who owned him?

Any surviving family gets first dibs. Otherwise, he/it becomes the custody of the government as a historical artifact!

(like a lot of my files, I never got news about how it ended up. I assume, since I haven't heard about the government's acquisition of a new iceman, that someone claimed him)

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

FrozenVent posted:

Are you the guy who just got his license suspended on suspicion of bigamy?

:hmbol: No, but he is a well-known ambulance chaser who causes us nothing but grief by taking on literally any case that walks through his doors and losing fantastically every time.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I don't own any seal skin products because I am whiter than the snow that surrounds me and I don't want to be appropriative.

Also fun fact about that lawyer: he boasts on his website about having been a professor at Thomas M Cooley School of Law.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
My boss vouched for his evidence class at Osgoode as well, but this was a while ago.

It seems like he really started to slip as time went by. No one quite knows why - but saucy details will inevitably come out in the disciplinary hearings.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I can absolutely understand not wanting to get married for anti-heteronormative reasons, but if they suspected that the family loving with the estate was a possibility, they really should've just had a deathbed marriage and saved themselves a lot of trouble. :shrug:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Government jobs: where you're expected to take your leave and enjoy your life.

I honestly don't know how the rest of y'all do it.

In addition to our 6 weeks of vacation a year (with an extra week for every 3 years of seniority, capping at 16w a year), 2 bonus weeks off at Xmas, and strict 37.5h work week, we have the option to take 80% of our paycheque for 4 years and then have a full year off at 80% pay.

I love working for the government.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Dallan Invictus posted:

Tipps might be working for a territorial government (all Canadian fed lawyers to my knowledge have the same union deal, and it only starts at 3 weeks vacation a year and caps out at 6 after 28 years of service). So most of that might be a tundra thing.

Correct.

The feds across the street have a much shittier deal than we do since their national collective agreement doesn't take into account northern cost of living and the "please don't go insane, take all the vacation you want please PLEASE" aspect of working in the north anywhere near as much as the territorial public service contracts do.

Also I lied. You cap out at like 8 or 10 weeks a year, but you can accumulate and use up to 16 weeks in a year.

Tipps fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 10, 2018

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Are allayall Americans saying that you guys don't have a US equivalent of Canlii?

Bless your hearts.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Pook Good Mook posted:

But federalism and overreach and big brother and states' rights!

Counterpoint, you can read all 173 decisions of the Ontario Horse Racing Appeal Panel for free.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Tbh I've always thought he found it depressing because everyone here is doing better than him.

We played wow together for about a year and he was doing pretty well, having gotten a job as a tribunal judge or something. He quit wow though because he didn't want to be a 40yo wow-playing dad. An unacceptable move that left us a healer short mid raid tier.

He was the one who convinced me to move north, too. Every day where I'm not the lovely brokebrains mess I was in Vancouver from my previous garbage job is thanks to him. :hf:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Just another day in weirdlaw.

An employee in one of our offices is convinced that there are ghosts in the office, and is very afraid of them. He has begun telling his coworkers about his paranormal experiences, resulting in two camps forming.

A large chunk of his colleagues are now super annoyed with him because he is too preoccupied with ghosts to do his job and is causing disruption.

A larger chunk of his colleagues are now equally afraid of the ghosts and are too scared to go into certain parts of the building, drastically impacting workplace productivity.

I have been asked for legal advice re: how/whether to discipline the disruptor, and what to do about the ghost-fearing employees.

This is actually not the first time I've heard stories about there being ghosts in this particular building. :ghost:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Pretty sure there have been real estate cases where failing to disclose that the house for sale was believed to be haunted has been found to be a material defect that needs to be disclosed, as it has the reasonable potential to interfere with the buyer's use and enjoyment of the home.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Listen buddy, I can't be expected to know the minutia of US Ghost Law up here in the Canadian arctic!

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
For all you current law students who may be thinking that student evaluations of law professors don't matter, I give you McCue v. UBC (No. 4).

I was in McCue's 2009-2010 property law class, her final year before she mysteriously disappeared from the school (she was rejected for tenure and fired, prompting the 9 year string of 4 lawsuits). She was hands down the worst professor I had in my 3 years at UBC, and her 1L property class remains the lowest grade on my transcript, so it's nice to see that her decade of lovely student evaluations were an important factor in her termination.

It's an extremely long judgment, but good god is it cathartic to see the hundreds and hundreds of pages of testimony from my former dean and professors slamming her for being awful, and acknowledging that the students weren't just being whiny.

E: nevermind, at page 96 the tribunal accepts that the 1L student evaluations were not important. Only her upper level course evaluations were considered. :rip:

Tipps fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 22, 2018

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
My 4 week vacation starts in 3 hours. Wrapped up all my short files, covered all the fires for my long files, and set my "I'm not responding to your emails" auto-reply and voicemail. Now I'm just watching the clock tick down to 5pm.

This is the longest 3 hours ever. :negative:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
When you get burned out on criminal defence, there's always employer-side labour relations if you want to feel like poo poo about what you do for a living. :thumbsup:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Boy howdy I love getting a voicemail overnight from the head of human resources ordering me to draft a termination without cause letter ASAP and offering an unconscionably low severance to a 31y service employee with no performance issues, to be delivered this morning, without ever bothering to ask Legal if it's a good idea.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
3 weeks after a termination settlement is paid out is the perfect time to send me an aggressive email accusing me of misrepresenting the fact that the settlement would be subject to income tax.

Nevermind that every communication in our negotiation, from their first threatening letter, all the way to our mutual revisions on the draft settlement, always clearly said that the payments would be a lump sum representing income and subject to statutory deductions. Clearly I am the one at fault here.

Don't go to law school kids.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I am social distancing by keeping my office door closed and playing on my phone all day.

All schools are closed across the territory and parents get paid time off to stay with their kids, while those of us without children are still required to show up. That's not going to cause a morale dip at all, no sir.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Ended up nabbing a 170 on the LSAT. A few weeks ago, I was thinking about that kind of score would make it harder for me to resist applying to a school that I actually have to pay for. But given everything else, I'm barely excited with my big dumb number.

Now is the best time to pivot into a career as a plague wagon driver.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Millenials and younger grow up internalizing the possibility that human civilization as we know it could conceivably end within our lifetime due to climate change. We joke about it and make memes and spicy twitter posts poking fun at our eventual demise... but it's a real lovely feeling thinking that this may be it.

I'm one of 3 lawyers deemed essential who is being conscripted to stay at the office despite the state of emergency and territory-wide shutdown. At what point are we just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, when I could instead be drowning in my 3rd class cabin with my husband?

Even if we make it through the plague, I have no optimism that our society will survive the economic and social consequences.

This sucks.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Stock up on weed and ignore the problems of the world while you watch old episodes of Friends.

We had to fill out our Skills Inventory today in the event of a catastrophic loss of labour, whereupon I, as a fit able-bodied man, may be drafted to be a prison guard or something.

I think if that happens, poo poo has hit the fan so hard that I have nothing to lose by outright quitting and taking my chances in the wastelands.