Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
At least Claptrap has a cool hat. Cool hats can normally excuse a multitude of sins, but I think in this case it's too little, too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
For some reason, this game- this franchise, really- gets a lot of credit from others for being "progressive." I've never really understood why, and understand it even less after watching that video.

Does it have to do with inclusion? There have been some comments and references to people having same-sex marriages that have passed without comment, and that's fine I suppose (that would have been something at the time of the games' release, rather than now, to be fair). But these portrayals... I get that it's mostly to be funny in a mostly edgelord way- you know, getting close and even briefly going over before dancing back again, in the manner of the common rear end in a top hat- but you can be funny and still have an accurate portrayal of things, surely. For example, Maya is apparently meant to be asexual, and I found this intriguing- as an ace myself, I like to see more portrayals of my experience in media- and during the main game, things were all right. But then we get to some of the DLC, and it turns out the way she expresses her asexuality is in being this sort of weird robot that doesn't understand love. Like, not even sex- love itself, and I'm just like, :what: That's what passes for an adequate asexual portrayal? Okay, I'm pretty drat asexual myself, don't even like to touch others for more than a few seconds, but I know what drat love is- I've loved several people. And I also get the mechanics of the sexual drive and why people want to have sex, I'm just not moved to do it myself, so where the heck does all this "asexuals are uncomprehending robots" thing come from?

It's not very enlightened, is what I mean to say. Meaning that you need a bit more things then inclusion in your thing to get brownie points in your media- presentation is more important. Yeesh.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

resurgam40 posted:

For some reason, this game- this franchise, really- gets a lot of credit from others for being "progressive." I've never really understood why, and understand it even less after watching that video.

Does it have to do with inclusion? There have been some comments and references to people having same-sex marriages that have passed without comment, and that's fine I suppose (that would have been something at the time of the games' release, rather than now, to be fair). But these portrayals... I get that it's mostly to be funny in a mostly edgelord way- you know, getting close and even briefly going over before dancing back again, in the manner of the common rear end in a top hat- but you can be funny and still have an accurate portrayal of things, surely. For example, Maya is apparently meant to be asexual, and I found this intriguing- as an ace myself, I like to see more portrayals of my experience in media- and during the main game, things were all right. But then we get to some of the DLC, and it turns out the way she expresses her asexuality is in being this sort of weird robot that doesn't understand love. Like, not even sex- love itself, and I'm just like, :what: That's what passes for an adequate asexual portrayal? Okay, I'm pretty drat asexual myself, don't even like to touch others for more than a few seconds, but I know what drat love is- I've loved several people. And I also get the mechanics of the sexual drive and why people want to have sex, I'm just not moved to do it myself, so where the heck does all this "asexuals are uncomprehending robots" thing come from?

It's not very enlightened, is what I mean to say. Meaning that you need a bit more things then inclusion in your thing to get brownie points in your media- presentation is more important. Yeesh.

It's literally that even with these small things they actually end up doing more than most other AAA companies, to be honest.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, that's depressing. :smith: Thankfully we have more options than AAA companies today, which have done more and better work with representation. Perhaps that's why this game seems so... backward now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

resurgam40 posted:

Well, that's depressing. :smith: Thankfully we have more options than AAA companies today, which have done more and better work with representation. Perhaps that's why this game seems so... backward now.

Well okay it's also that at the time they were more progressive, other companies have caught up and are better at not being full of uncomfortable humor, so Borderlands looks worse in hindsight now that we've come further.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjFO3jrQcDo

Fun to know that the whole series was almost as drab and washed out as this DLC has been

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Fun to know that the whole series was almost as drab and washed out as this DLC has been

I like how even back then they couldn't list much in the way of positives about the game.

quote:

Borderlands uh is uh is is pretty neat. It takes place on the planet Pandora. *Runs out of neat things to say.*

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

how many times will we talk about jerking off this stream dlc entire playthrough? let's find out!

Episode #33: Rock Hard Monster Skeleton

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Oh my god, they even have the oval shields. Why couldn't they have just been crazy people with Jack masks and tattered attempts at his suit, and Hyperion gear?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think one of the problems with trying to show off the game is that by having your pick of weapons you kind of expose that the vast majority of the game's weapon 'variety' is 'poo poo gimmick guns A-Z' and then 'a couple actually good or fun guns' in addition to the fairly poor core shooting the game already has.

That's just obfuscated from a player by the terrible drop rates meaning you normally never get to use any of it in the first place.

Also gently caress everything about Hammerlock and 'victoriana' steampunk nonsense.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

guys it took over an hour of documentation and running into one of the worst bugs i've seen in this game but we finally found the one good joke in the hammerlock DLC

Episode #34: Jack in the Box

Night10194 posted:

I think one of the problems with trying to show off the game is that by having your pick of weapons you kind of expose that the vast majority of the game's weapon 'variety' is 'poo poo gimmick guns A-Z' and then 'a couple actually good or fun guns' in addition to the fairly poor core shooting the game already has.

honestly something i've been thinking about the past couple weeks ago is something that i think hurts the game is just how much panzer and i have played it. that kinda creates like... three problems:

1) we're set in our ways and we know what we like. like, i want quasar grenades all the time. they're my favorite. other grenades are good, but i don't even pick them up because i'd rather use a weaker quasar than a grenade i don't care for, so our loadouts can get a bit stale.
2) we have no interest in any below purple gear, which is like most of the gear in the game
3) because we've played it long enough there is rarely moments where we're surprised by new gear

new players aren't really going to run into these. they're gonna see new guns drop and even if the arrows aren't all green they'll probably pick them up to try them out at least for a little bit. i'm looking forward to a potential borderlands 3 re-instilling this feeling into me

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Kaubocks posted:

guys it took over an hour of documentation and running into one of the worst bugs i've seen in this game but we finally found the one good joke in the hammerlock DLC

I was like, what bug is he talking about what the hell, then i opened the video and I Remembered.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Kaubocks posted:

I've been catching up on this thread the past week, because of it I have now started your tales from the borderlands videos, which is good too.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I half want Gearbox/someone to mod Borderlands to have realistic graphics, like change nothing else, so same humor, just out of place realistic graphics. I know it's not easy/possible, but would be cool/stupid.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Having gone through Tales without playing any of the BL2 DLC, I was eagerly awaiting Professor "Killed By Stairs" Nakayama. They faked me out with the physical stairs he walked down without a problem, then brought it home with the holo-stairs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Fire Storm posted:

I half want Gearbox/someone to mod Borderlands to have realistic graphics, like change nothing else, so same humor, just out of place realistic graphics. I know it's not easy/possible, but would be cool/stupid.

Bulletstorm, kinda? Realish people and the humor.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's finally here folks

Episode #35: The Good DLC

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I agree wholeheartedly with Brick about Boney Pants.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I only played through the game far enough to beat this dlc once, but I still remembered "Her name is Brick, and she is the prettiest"

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I thought Seeker was a seraph gun?

I just finished this DLC on Maya last night on UVHM. It was actually a lot faster than my Krieg run a few years ago. I remember reading that the skeletons are more vulnerable to melee attacks than gun fire, but I couldn't seem to prove it on my run.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think one of the low key funnier parts of this DLC is the implication that because you're playing as Lilith's character she's doing whatever voice your character uses. Which means she's going full Krieg at the game table in Kaubocks Game.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Does that mean if there's a fourth player one of them is Tina's BMNPC?

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
She's playing as Rolant's character until he can get here. :kiddo:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

....You

You didnt take the explosive axe throw skill.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

....You

You didnt take the explosive axe throw skill.

i can assure you this won't be a problem for long in Episode #36: Four Kings

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Brick's response to Roland's appearance continues to cement his lead as the best character.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So you gonna cap off this by showing off Borderlands 2 VR while drunk off your butts?

Wortpine
Oct 4, 2013
Among one of the things I really like about this DLC that they wrote Lilith taking a role playing game really seriously.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kaubocks posted:

new players aren't really going to run into these. they're gonna see new guns drop and even if the arrows aren't all green they'll probably pick them up to try them out at least for a little bit. i'm looking forward to a potential borderlands 3 re-instilling this feeling into me

honestly i ran into these problems in playthrough 1 of my first playthrough of bl2 ever, I think it just plateaus really fast. I definitely experienced the try it out and see period but it really didn't last long at all.

golden keys are both a solution (to poo poo drop rates) and a problem (because they cause #2 and #3 and it doesn't take long to figure out #1 at that point)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm playing on Xbox, so I only have 1 golden key and I've never been willing to use it. Mostly because anything I get will be eclipsed within four zones and there's always the chance I'll get poop from a butt out of it, like class mods for Axton and Zero, who I never play.

Also way back Panzer mentioned pitying those on console where the action and reload buttons are the same. When I'm playing Gaige, I can't pick up a class mod for a different character unless I have a full gun, because doing that makes me reload.

e: Also, here is Double King.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 17, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

fact: panzer is the best at solving riddles

Episode #37: TAFY

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Tiny Tina is unironically a better GM than some people I have played with.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I know you don't like that Clap Trap quest, but you might want to take it and not finish it

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Wizard Clap Trap is cute.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

mastersord posted:

I know you don't like that Clap Trap quest, but you might want to take it and not finish it

don't worry we'll play with this later ;)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Arban posted:

Tiny Tina is unironically a better GM than some people I have played with.

Yeah, despite the unkillable intro boss, roll-to-see-who-does-stuff, and use of critical fumble tables, she's shown a great flexibility in rolling with what the players want to do (Even if that's just Brick wanting to punch his way into and out of all problems, and let's be honest we've all had that player).

My joke sense is expecting Mordecai to start getting weirdly into the game. I'm vaguely surprised it hasn't started happening yet, and I'll be slightly disappointed if they don't dip from that well at all.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I used to have a killer DM. Guy literally told us to our faces that he wasn't happy unless he killed a PC per session, and would bend rules and edit encounters to get characters killed if we did better than he expected. Tina's far, far better than him. She's willing to work with her players and takes suggestions and criticism surprisingly well, especially for a pre-teen who grew up on Pandora.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

if y'all like roleplaying so much you're gonna love how into it krieg gets in the next couple videos

Episode #38: Lightning Bolt

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Unavailable. Curse you, Youtube! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Unavailable. Curse you, Youtube! :argh:

i may have accidentally left it on private. try again? :shobon: