Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It's exactly as dysfunctional and strange as I expected Browns camp to be and Hue is a lot like I expected too. I kind of understand why he didn't want such a basic policy questioned but he's not great at talking to people which you'd hope is a skill a head coach would have. Landry's kind of weird and annoying but he said what needed to be said and he clearly is committed to the team and wants them to win so good on him. It's mean what they're doing to Brogarth or whatever his name is, although I guess they did make Baker buy the RV in the first place.

As far as the team goes I think they're going to be bad because of Hue. As far as the show goes I'm really enjoying it, hope there's more Tyrod.

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Also it really seemed like the coaches were tuning him out towards the end of that meeting, but Hard Knocks is always going to adjust the editing to suit a narrative

I think the team can refuse certain scenes from being included so if anything the overall picture is going to be a bit sunnier than it should be. Not to mention that the directors probably want redemptive, positive stories as well

Bigass Moth posted:

Man I want Carl to tell me how I can get 10% return on investment every year for the rest of my life.

I'm pretty sure he was just talking about interest in a savings account. I didn't check his math or anything but he was talking about a million dollars compounding interest over many years and when you think of a bunch of young guys who just got paid millions of dollars it's not horrible advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

???
He specifically said all you have to do is make 10% a year for 7 years to double your money and had 1 million going to 64 million in 6 years.

And not only that you don’t even need a financial advisor just do it yourself!

It’s probably the last thing young players need to hear as they will fall for many a scam trying to get this magical 10% on their own.

Yeah I didn't hear him right, I thought he said 40 years. I don't even want to know what kind of "investment opportunity" that is

I was laughing pretty hard at those drunk Browns fans though

Play fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 9, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

RE: Veteran practice

I remember Joe Thomas talking about how there was a point like maybe a few years in where it was just worse for him to actually practice than to just ride a bike on the sidelines and do meetings. Granted not everyone is Joe.

Yeah and I can understand why Hue wouldn't want such a foundational policy questioned. But it seemed like what they were questioning was actually WHO gets to have veterans days off. The other coaches wanted it to be only guys that had proved themselves utterly to the team. Joe Thomas is probably on of the only Browns who that really would apply to. For sure none of the receivers have earned that.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Watched the last half of the episode last night. Hue is such a loving boob and will get canned halfway through the season.

I've been a Browns fan my whole life but I had no clue Drew Stanton was on the team, let alone whoever the snackbitch was :lol:

I'm pretty sure his name is Brogarth or something which is pretty lol

It's gonna be a good season of Hard Knocks, Tyrod I love you

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Veskit posted:

Who could name their baby Carl?

Also the s&p does grow at an average rate of 10% and it's easy as all gently caress to do it yourself so I mean I don't think Carl is wrong bless him

I thought he wasn't talking about ten percent returns every year. He's talking about the compound interest over 7 years which when you divide by year would amount to 10%. But if you take it out after one year it's actually a lot less than that. Or maybe he's talking about investing, who loving knows

Athanatos posted:

Hue needed Tyrod to tell him to show people dragging rear end in practice. And Hue didn't even do what Tyrod was saying to do. He said show them walking off and on the field like lazy fucks.

We don't know what Hue said or didn't say because we were only shown a tiny fraction of the meeting. But you're right, Tyrod Taylor for head coach/starting quarterback.

Anyways, this episode was pretty standard hard knocks fare. Having seen the preseason game I knew what to expect, and there wasn't really anything that stood out this episode except for the heartwarming relationship between Juice and his dad. I definitely expect next episode to be more interesting, as I've heard some juicy poo poo about fights and arguments between both players and coaches. The joint practices are bound to be interesting and then the game with Buffalo should be as well, given Tyro'd's history there as well as Corey Coleman being traded there the week before.

Play fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 15, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That contraption is for bad backs to get the spine less compacted. That's my best guess anyways

Play
Apr 25, 2006

pasaluki posted:

Speaking of Buffalo.
They have their own mini hard-knocks video series they are showing on facebook first.

They have a very different coaching style than the Browns.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=300983220662488&id=415107769011000

It's not really fair to compare what is essentially marketing materials to hard knocks which is not made by the team. Still, good video. There's a Titans series and a Jets series (One Jets Drive) on YouTube that are alright themselves. Probably the one thing that makes me feel okay for the Bills is that I do believe Sean McDermott is a good coach

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

To be fair the team involved does get final say on what footage HBO is allowed to use for Hard Knocks. HBO does seem to get away with a lot but I would love to see what gets left on the cutting room floor.

I always wonder how far that privilege extends? It can't be limitless or else some coaches would keep a lot more stuff off. In any case it for sure gives you a clearer idea than in house hype videos, which are fine but definitely a different genre

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I'm the giant catchphrase sign that reads Hardland of America

alright someone slap this ona chuck tingle book

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

I loved that Cajuste scene. "Hey FYI, this guy who you all are rooting for is a complete loving wacko."

Counterpoint: Cajuste is strong and kind and chill and I love him

Flikken posted:

Is a napping trailer a normal thing?

I don't know if a napping trailer is a normal thing but I know that it's very common to nap between the main stages of the day (usually practice and meetings). In Hard Knocks: Texans JJ Watt had created a little napping corner somewhere in the facility for himself

Diqnol posted:

Hue decides who gets playing time, Haley and Williams do all the actual work.

And he doesn't even do that well. It's fine to be more the cheerleader/executive type of head coach rather than the X's and O's type head coach, but you have to at least be good at it and make smart decisions. People don't really like Hue (I don't blame them), he's not good at inspiring people, he doesn't make good decisions about personnel and playing time AND he's not really an amazing football mind. So I guess my question is what exactly DOES he bring to the table?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Where the hell am I supposed to watch this thing. I used to have a link to a stream of each episode but I can't find it anywhere and there weren't torrents either apparently. The xfinity account I have access to isn't working either, and neither is HBO Go. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I found a torrent. Okay episode but nothing too interesting. Hue still seems incompetent, he has this weird combination of passivity and ego. A lot of times he just goes along with what other people suggest even if it's a horrible idea (ex: Tyrod playing after being badly hurt, tons of other stuff) but then in the most random situations he'll put his foot down so everyone is reminded who's boss. It's a very ineffective management style imo.

One episode left and it's just the last preseason game which should be fun, and then cuts which usually I only watch to see who gets cut, the meetings are too cringey for me and I get angry at the cliches spouted by the coaches in all those meetings

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Not sure juice is going to get cut, he's had some decent performances in the preseason. Not sure about Orchard either. But cut day is Saturday so we'll know then

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I think I'd put this season around the middle. Bucs, Ravens and Jets were better imo, but there are plenty that were worse too

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

How is Myles Garret such a chill, well rounded dude after Texas A&M, going 1st overall, and the horror of the 2017 Cleveland Browns?

Its genuinely amazing.

Yeah one of my biggest takeaways from the show is that Myles Garrett is cool as hell and basically the best part of that entire team. David Njoku is pretty cool too, but Garrett has this thoughtfulness that you don't see that much in the NFL. He also clearly is not super impressed with the coaching staff, especially Gregg Williams. And he's right

Play
Apr 25, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

So what happened to Kendricks? got caught up chasing Nassib’s advice?

Actually he was way out ahead of it lmao

Play
Apr 25, 2006

In general, as someone else mentioned, the best clips were the one where a veteran does some one on one work with a younger guy. In this last episode, it was crazy watching Garrett play an O lineman (he looked like he knew what he was doing, knew exactly how O linemen react to certain things, etc.) and giving Orchard some tips. Darren Fells teaching Cajuste the principles of blocking. Landry and Calloway watching film and mumbling in strange receiver jargon. Those were my favorite clips.

For Orchard, he's undersized for the position and he's also a bad fit for a 4-3 defense. He's interesting as a change of pace edge rusher but that's pretty much it.

Another thing to remember is that because of the new kickoff/punt rules, teams are probably keeping more guys with speed (receivers, running backs, DBs, linebackers, etc.) than bigger guys.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Another big thing is the Browns had first choice in the waiver wire; other teams might've kept those guys but the Browns were targeting some players from other teams.

quote:

There has been some agitation about the players that the Cleveland Browns released to complete their 53-man roster. The focus was primarily on those thrown into the spotlight of HBO's 'Hard Knocks' including defensive ends Carl Nassib and Nate Orchard as well as tight end Devon Cajuste.

A handful of the players that Cleveland parted with were immediately claimed on waivers by other teams. However, it should be noted that those added by the Browns were also coveted by other teams. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport noted that four teams put in waiver claims for former Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle Carl Davis. The Browns had waiver priority over the Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals and Los Angeles Chargers. No other player had more waiver claims than Davis. Cleveland was first in line during the waiver claim period because they finished with the worst record in the league a year ago.

The second most coveted player on waivers was outside linebacker Tanner Vallejo of the Buffalo Bills. Cleveland landed him over waiver claims from the Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins. Cleveland immediately waived outside linebacker Jermaine Grace to make room for Vallejo. There are currently only six linebackers on the roster: Christian Kirksey, Jamie Collins, Joe Schobert, James Burgess, Genard Avery and Vallejo.

Two other players had three waiver claims: defensive tackle T.Y. McGill (Chargers) and defensive end Mario Edwards (New York Giants). McGill spent the 2017 season in northeast Ohio.

Only the Giants submitted more waiver claims (six) than Cleveland.

During an appearance on Cleveland Browns Daily, General Manager John Dorsey revealed that other teams had approached the New Orleans Saints about a trade for defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence. It was the Browns granted the right to trade for the defensive lineman because the Saints wanted to get him out of the NFC. Lawrence is one of four defensive tackles on the roster along with Trevon Coley, Larry Ogunjobi and Davis.

Dorsey also said that five or six teams were interested in signing offensive guard Earl Watford before Cleveland. It was important for the Browns to get him in for a visit first and sign him to the 53-man roster. Watford did make the roster. Austin Corbett and Kevin Zeitler are tentatively scheduled to start at the two offensive guard positions but there has been some talk about transitioning Joel Bitonio back to left guard and allowing either Greg Robinson or Desmond Harrison to start at left tackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

schmug posted:

Can a player who is on the waiver wire truly be "coveted"? Any examples of a player picked up from the wire that went on to do anything somewhere else? I thought Nassib was pretty serviceable back-up/pinch starter, but I guess they like this Mario Edwards more.

I mean "coveted" might be a bit of a strong word but absolutely there can be a lot of interest in certain players on the waiver wire. The Browns had the first opportunity at all of them and it looks like they picked up some guys they really wanted. That first place position on the waiver wire probably had a lot to do with their decision to release both Orchard and Nassib because they got the players with the most and second most waiver claims, Carl Davis and Tanner Vallejo

• Locked thread