Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You need Solaris SkunkWerks, which will let you print all the sheets you ever wanted. Alternatively Flechs Sheets if you want to stare at a screen while gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So the Tuesday Newsday dropped with the following stuff;

~Shipping will be updated by Friday, Monday at the latest.
~49+ images from upcoming IlKhan's Eyes Only

Images spoiler a couple things;

- New Clan League is going to go hogwild on orbitally bombarding Capellan Confederation
- Capellans and Draconis Combine will have a warship duel
- Falcons and Highlanders will duke it out somewhere
- Snow Ravens will offer a ton of both ground and aerospace support to Clan League
- Some Republic characters will be doing stuff.

Some of the art goes real hard.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

inscrutable horse posted:

Hey goons, I've once again proven that I can't be trusted with disposable income, and went kinda hog-wild buying mechs (AGoAC and the beginner box). I've managed to rope one of my friends into recreating the glories of the Succession Wars and the Clan Invasion. Which books do we need for sheets and such?

If you just want sheets, I'd recommend Flecks and a Brother printer. Save your money for mapsheets and dollies and such.
https://sheets.flechs.net/

I

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Capellans were being built up as a REALLY big threat to the Republic before it got ilClanned. Curious to see how that will pan out and whether it'll be as predictable as 'the Capellans lose'.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

General Battuta posted:

The Capellans were being built up as a REALLY big threat to the Republic before it got ilClanned. Curious to see how that will pan out and whether it'll be as predictable as 'the Capellans lose'.

The Capellans have had a great run so far but Daoshen has over-extended them to a large degree;

- Successfully invaded the Fed Suns and gained a bunch of planets.
- Successfully invaded the Republic and gained a bunch of planets.
- Has been preparing to invade Terra for years, shifting forces away from vulnerable borders
- Destroyed his alliance with Canopus and Andurien.
- Currently getting backstabbed by Andurien, still focused on Terra.

Daoshen will probably let the CCAF do typical Capellan things like assassination/massacring civilians ala Night of Screams, and the Clan League will look at him and go "orbital bombardment time" and Daoshen will die in warship fire.

As a Republic fan I hate both the Wolves and Cappies, but man the Cappies have had it coming for literal DECADES of war crimes IRL. Liao, New Syrtis, executing POWs, etc., etc., Even if it's the Clans smashing the Cappies I will be quite happy.

Also, there's art out there of Danai becoming the Celestial Wisdom, so... yeah, Daoshen's on limited time.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you just want sheets, I'd recommend Flecks and a Brother printer. Save your money for mapsheets and dollies and such.
https://sheets.flechs.net/

I

This is more of a "we want to spend that 20$ coupon" on some .pdf files, since ordering physical objects from overseas would be prohibitively expensive. Appreciate the link, though!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This is more of a "we want to spend that 20$ coupon" on some .pdf files, since ordering physical objects from overseas would be prohibitively expensive. Appreciate the link, though!

In that case I'd get TRO Succession Wars if youre interested in fluff and background about the mechs or Total War if you want a complete ruleset that covers vehicles, infantry, weather, etc etc

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

If you want actual sheets, Record Sheets: Succession Wars and Record Sheets: Clan Invasion.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Yeah, now seems like the time for an American gaming company to make Space China the bad guy that gets its teeth kicked in

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Strobe posted:

If you want actual sheets, Record Sheets: Succession Wars and Record Sheets: Clan Invasion.

Thank you very much!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GD_American posted:

Yeah, now seems like the time for an American gaming company to make Space China the bad guy that gets its teeth kicked in

TBH I think a lot of the audience is rooting for them because the alternative is Alaric, probably the most get-off-my-screen character currently in the story.

Owlbear Camus posted:

In that case I'd get TRO Succession Wars if youre interested in fluff and background about the mechs or Total War if you want a complete ruleset that covers vehicles, infantry, weather, etc etc

I would say get TRO: 3039 over Succession Wars. It's got more stuff in it and it doesn't completely botch the goal of a Succession Wars compendium by including Star League equipment.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Defiance Industries posted:

TBH I think a lot of the audience is rooting for them because the alternative is Alaric, probably the most get-off-my-screen character currently in the story.

I'm certainly rooting for the Capellans, Clan Wolf is the absolute worst.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've always hated company factions. Clan Wolf, Ultramarines, Pikachu, you name it

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
https://twitter.com/catalystgamelab/status/1778120843895112145

Sounds like by adding #fiction in to the tags, it probably refers to the Shrapnel collection (they did 1-10 (I believe) a few months ago, so this will probably be updated with some of the newer ones)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GD_American posted:

I've always hated company factions. Clan Wolf, Ultramarines, Pikachu, you name it

Clan Wolf was boring as gently caress before they were the centerpiece of Hour of the Wolf, a book so bad that I consider it an act of courage for anyone to have put their name on the cover. Now they're just egregiously awful.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Clan Wolf could literally become the most interesting setting in the entire universe if they just leaned into "so these genetically engineered shithead nihilists just got what they always wanted. Now let's see how ill-equipped they, their leader, and their entire culture are to deal with it"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

GD_American posted:

Wild how a post from 1987 showed up on Something Awful dot com in the year 2024.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

FishFood posted:

I'm certainly rooting for the Capellans, Clan Wolf is the absolute worst.

I'm a lifelong Davion player, and I'm rooting for the Capellans.

Clan Wolf is the worst.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Even Clan Wolf's name, paint schemes, and logo are boring. But they are the perfect chosen children of the powers that be and the TROs certainly suggest that the plan is for them to rule the entire Inner Sphere for at least the next century with only token resistance. Sure, the 'Eyes Only' stuff is biased, probably inaccurate to some degree, and they've supposedly moved away from doing the time skip, but it still seems insane to me to print anything like it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

i'm curious as to how clan wolf comes about because i'm still wayyyyyy back before twilight of the clans

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

GD_American posted:

Can't wait for Liya International to cut ties with Catalyst for depicting the Space ChiComs as the soyjaks and the white barbarians as the chads amirite :jerkbag:

Canned Bovines posted:

Even Clan Wolf's name, paint schemes, and logo are boring. But they are the perfect chosen children of the powers that be and the TROs certainly suggest that the plan is for them to rule the entire Inner Sphere for at least the next century with only token resistance. Sure, the 'Eyes Only' stuff is biased, probably inaccurate to some degree, and they've supposedly moved away from doing the time skip, but it still seems insane to me to print anything like it.
It's still quite true that Randall has to pull much more of the stupid "Disney Star Wars" misconception off of ilClan era. Not naming it the stupid ilClan era is one thing I'd like to see changed. It sounds too one-sided.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 10, 2024

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I hate Clan Wolf (Although I like the plucky Steel Wolves) but I hate the Capellans more. They may not have as much plot armor but their constant state-sponsored terrorism activities that are never, EVER, EVER, responded in kind or even in miniscule ways by the factions who suffer from them is more outrageous to me than Clan Wolf plot armoring around.

Daoshen's had something coming for decades, both in universe and IRL. The Night of Screams and New Syrtis must be avenged. If Alaric must be the Flail of an Avenging God, so be it.

I'm also quite sure IKEO will do a great job of pointing out just how difficult of a position Clan Wolf is in. Most of the pics with Capellans getting smashed from the preview have other factions like the Snow Ravens doing the heavy lifting.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 10, 2024

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I hate Clan Wolf (Although I like the plucky Steel Wolves) but I hate the Capellans more. They may not have as much plot armor but their constant state-sponsored terrorism activities that are never, EVER, EVER, responded in kind or even in miniscule ways by the factions who suffer from them is more outrageous to me than Clan Wolf plot armoring around.
You should have picked a faction to LARP that's more responsive to threats against free and sovereign peoples.

Ever fancy the Taurian Concordat? ;)

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
It's kind of odd to single out the Capellans as some uniquely bad thing in the setting with war crimes/crimes against humanity being the bread and butter dramatic tool in the last few eras of sourcebooks.

Horrific war crime poo poo happens all the time in the BT universe especially now and short of Amaris and Kentares how much of that is actually followed up on in a concerted effort? How long did Malvina get away with poo poo in universe that if the Lyran state wanted to get even with they would be using all the nukes and pissing on Hazen's ashes?

Edit: to not end on such a cantankerous note, honestly I find a ton of the "and then this faction commits a genocide" or other terrible things just incredibly dull in the late Dark Age. Good example when I think in Era Report 3145 gets into the Nova Cat annihilation and it details out how a jump ship of mostly civilians with a few warriors makes it into Ghost Bear territory and the Ghost Bears just dump everyone into space.

Holybat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 10, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think it all goes back to Kali seeing Capellan troops get hit by a bioweapon and thinking "holy poo poo, that's a great idea. I'm going to get all my cultists to do that!" and then facing zero consequences in a really odd move by Sun-Tzu.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Holybat posted:

\
Edit: to not end on such a cantankerous note, honestly I find a ton of the "and then this faction commits a genocide" or other terrible things just incredibly dull in the late Dark Age.

I barely made it through Wars of Reaving for this reason. I get it, poo poo was horrible.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I guess it does kind seem annoying that after Kali gets arrested mid-Jihad, there isn't much news seen out of that drama afterwards, at all.

Disney Star Wars.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I just learned that Kali Liao’s dad may have been a Mechwarrior male model. I love this poo poo

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

So, goons. I'm moving either next month or in october, depending on whether I can find a decent apartment this weekend, and as a direct consequence of that and wizbro being trash, I am selling my magic collection, long dormant, to my FLGS, and I'm going to blow a lot of the proceeds on battletech.

Like, starting with probably one of every extant force pack, since the collection's heights are an unlimited dual land and a lion's eye diamond.

I really wish Catalyst had an easy way for me to find out what physical books they have in print that I can have the game store order in addition.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

I just learned that Kali Liao’s dad may have been a Mechwarrior male model. I love this poo poo

I feel really bad for Tsen Shang. If he was ever out of Romano's sight she assumed he was plotting to kill her but sometimes she'd go off and let a random dude rawdog her just to make him jealous. He totally could have bailed on that and let SAFE or MIIO extract him, then get treated like a king, but he sticks around because he's somehow still in love with her.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

NinjaDebugger posted:

Like, starting with probably one of every extant force pack, since the collection's heights are an unlimited dual land and a lion's eye diamond.
Hey dude can you loan me like 11k so I can get away with all my bad decisions in life too

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Hey dude can you loan me like 11k so I can get away with all my bad decisions in life too

Sadly, it's not going to be anywhere near 11k. I'll probably clear a grand, though. I may not do _every_ force pack, but definitely the ones I don't have yet. Most of the value comes from the rise of commander being very good to me since past me was a genius who hoarded cheap rares.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

NinjaDebugger posted:

So, goons. I'm moving either next month or in october, depending on whether I can find a decent apartment this weekend, and as a direct consequence of that and wizbro being trash, I am selling my magic collection, long dormant, to my FLGS, and I'm going to blow a lot of the proceeds on battletech.

I really wish Catalyst had an easy way for me to find out what physical books they have in print that I can have the game store order in addition.

You're better off in Ebay.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GD_American posted:

You're better off in Ebay.

Ebay is way too much loving effort, I do not have the goddamn patience to deal with selling them myself

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I guess it does kind seem annoying that after Kali gets arrested mid-Jihad, there isn't much news seen out of that drama afterwards, at all.

Disney Star Wars.

I don't think it's even mentioned when or how Kali dies or who her children are. She gets arrested, exiled, and arrested again. Jump cut to her great-granddaughter ruling the same old planet and being revered by the same old death cult.

As far as the Capellans never getting any comeuppance for doing Capellan things, isn't that how the three chancellors preceding Daoshen fell? Maximilian goes completely insane after the Confederation is gutted in the Fourth Succession war, which was motivated in no small part by his attempt at replacing Hanse Davion with a body double. Romano gets personally assassinated by Candace as revenge for the assassination of Justin Allard. Sun-Tzu "ascends to godhood" on Liao during the Night of Screams, which ultimately fails in retaking the system from the Republic. Four chancellors, if you count Maximilian usurping and killing his own dad.

Holybat posted:

It's kind of odd to single out the Capellans as some uniquely bad thing in the setting with war crimes/crimes against humanity being the bread and butter dramatic tool in the last few eras of sourcebooks.

Horrific war crime poo poo happens all the time in the BT universe especially now and short of Amaris and Kentares how much of that is actually followed up on in a concerted effort? How long did Malvina get away with poo poo in universe that if the Lyran state wanted to get even with they would be using all the nukes and pissing on Hazen's ashes?

Edit: to not end on such a cantankerous note, honestly I find a ton of the "and then this faction commits a genocide" or other terrible things just incredibly dull in the late Dark Age. Good example when I think in Era Report 3145 gets into the Nova Cat annihilation and it details out how a jump ship of mostly civilians with a few warriors makes it into Ghost Bear territory and the Ghost Bears just dump everyone into space.

Absurd war crimes aren't even strictly a later era thing. ComStar just assumed that Grayson Carlyle wouldn't accept a bribe to let them dig around for the Castle Brian in the Grey Death Legion's new landhold on Helm, so some precentor killed an entire city of 12 million people and framed the GDL for it. Barely four novels in.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

All this weird theorycrafting makes me glad it's still 3025 and none of that actually happened

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Canned Bovines posted:

Absurd war crimes aren't even strictly a later era thing. ComStar just assumed that Grayson Carlyle wouldn't accept a bribe to let them dig around for the Castle Brian in the Grey Death Legion's new landhold on Helm, so some precentor killed an entire city of 12 million people and framed the GDL for it. Barely four novels in.

True, but Comstar also did it because they were setting up the GDL for something that literally nobody in the Inner Sphere or even Periphery would countenance. Every hand was raised against them. I always liked the Davion intelligence guy Grayson meets in the bar who goes full "hold me back bro" when he finds out who he's talking to, and the sheer disgust that all the Marik regulars had for what they thought the Legion did.

from the Jihad to Dark Age if you had a unit blow a dome and kill 12 million people a lot of times if feels like it would be met with a shrug.

I guess what I'm getting at is much like BPL and using false flag attacks in his novel plots, constant atrocities and warcrimes to get a pop in the sourcebooks gets old real loving fast.

EDIT: I don't want to come off as a complete grog but another neato thing I really wish the fiction still held onto from the 3020s were things like the weird, stilted formal negotiations at the beginning of Price of Glory. Like all the pomp and circumstance and formal language of surrender and honors to the victor etc. While I like a lot of the new fiction in stuff like Shrapnel there are times where I feel like BT could play into that a bit more

Holybat fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 11, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

NinjaDebugger posted:

Ebay is way too much loving effort, I do not have the goddamn patience to deal with selling them myself

I meant for buying game books.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holybat posted:

True, but Comstar also did it because they were setting up the GDL for something that literally nobody in the Inner Sphere or even Periphery would countenance. Every hand was raised against them. I always liked the Davion intelligence guy Grayson meets in the bar who goes full "hold me back bro" when he finds out who he's talking to, and the sheer disgust that all the Marik regulars had for what they thought the Legion did.

from the Jihad to Dark Age if you had a unit blow a dome and kill 12 million people a lot of times if feels like it would be met with a shrug.

I guess what I'm getting at is much like BPL and using false flag attacks in his novel plots, constant atrocities and warcrimes to get a pop in the sourcebooks gets old real loving fast.

EDIT: I don't want to come off as a complete grog but another neato thing I really wish the fiction still held onto from the 3020s were things like the weird, stilted formal negotiations at the beginning of Price of Glory. Like all the pomp and circumstance and formal language of surrender and honors to the victor etc. While I like a lot of the new fiction in stuff like Shrapnel there are times where I feel like BT could play into that a bit more

My word cap is 5,000 so while I would like to play up all of the formalities, you really got to show some restraint when the ceiling is that low.

Or they could just immediately recognize that I'm great and put me on the established author list where I don't have to sit in the slush pile or adhere to word caps, I would also be open to that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So the Tuesday Newsday dropped with the following stuff;

~Shipping will be updated by Friday, Monday at the latest.
~49+ images from upcoming IlKhan's Eyes Only

Images spoiler a couple things;

- New Clan League is going to go hogwild on orbitally bombarding Capellan Confederation
- Capellans and Draconis Combine will have a warship duel
- Falcons and Highlanders will duke it out somewhere
- Snow Ravens will offer a ton of both ground and aerospace support to Clan League
- Some Republic characters will be doing stuff.

Some of the art goes real hard.

Ooh, Republic pics are where?