Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Whats a good screening mech?

I need something cheap to cover my nightstar/missile boats from pesky lights and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
...hatchetman? Or is that too slow.

My reasoning was its cheap, and it could hang back and then hit lights with its axe.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Now where does one get a wraith from?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

FishFood posted:

The Alpha Strike boxed set has a fancy new plastic version that is pretty slick.

Awwww yis, thanks!

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Tempest_56 posted:

Counterpoint: if you have a Wraith and you're keeping it back to babysit an Archer, you're probably using the Wraith wrong.

(Though yes as said, the Wraith is the right answer to like 75% of the questions about what mech to use.)

How should I be using a screening unit?

I had a game where I ran a nightstar and viking and spent way too much dealing with lights taking potshots at their side and rear arc. Was going to bring a cheap unit along to screen them and at least protect the rear arcs while the snipers focus on the enemy heavy hitters.

\/ This was a BV fight so I had an Awesome and Mercury as well, Awesome was up front more, and the mercury died really fast. If i had to redo, Id probably not bring the mercury and downgrade something else to fit a Wraith

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 7, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I am still fairly new to the tabletop version. For say, 7000 BV, do you usually find its better to bring more cheaper mechs, or have one or two high BV mechs.

Should I bring a Nightstar , or two crappier mechs?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I've never even heard of the Agrotera, but thats very helpful! Thanks.

I came up with something like -

Nightstar NSR-9J
Thunderbolt TDR-7M
Awesome AWS-9M
Wraith TR1

Comes out to 6993 BV

Only one jumper. I looked at master unit list, and everything is available to Comstar for 3067 except the Wraith. Not sure how picky people are about things like that.

Edit: what program are you using to display your list?

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 11, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I just realized if I downgrade to the regular Phoenix Hawk I can bring a King Crab KGC-000b.

Never used one before, any good?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

So what, like this?

Firstly, NICE
Secondly, hell yeah I'd take that. The King Crab won't have the easiest time getting into range, but it can go after the enemy's slow targets and take them apart. As it goes ahead it should take a lot of pressure off of the Nightstar by drawing fire or creating a bubble of death that the enemy doesn't want to risk. If you can get the Nightstar to a good place it will probably be able to do a ton of damage while taking very little.

Yeah that. I think its just a regular paper map, so I was worried about the KGC getting shot up without being able to shoot back.

Also, I haven't done many matches, whats considered poor sportsmanship? If I can make a WH40k analogy, I don't want to bring like a tournament list to a casual game.

If I bring 4 gauss rifles in a 7k game, is that bad

\/ Thanks!

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 12, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Whats everyone's opinion on C3i ?

Is it factored into the BV cost or is it additional on top?

Could I run these

Toyama TYM-1B @ 1,788
Cerberus MR-6B @ 2,128
King Crab KGC-005 @ 2,264
Wraith TR3 @ 1,310

At 7,500 bv?

Also is it worth it?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

It's added on top because the coefficient scales up higher the more units are in the network. So you could run that at 7,500 BV if you don't connect the network.

Oh I see. That seems expensive then.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Are the arrow IV rules located online anywhere?

Played a game where my opponent got a light mech around the back of my Atlas and successfully TAG'd it, and so he said the Arrow IV missiles incoming both hit on +4s and hit the back armor.

Which...seems rather suspect.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: Your opponent may have been bullshitting you if the unit that actually fired the Arrow IV Homing missile wasn't in your Atlas's rear arc. :siren: :siren: :siren:

Not from the light 'Mech, but from the Arrow IV launcher.
And also not from the secret hex that your opponent wrote down that just so happened to be 8 or fewer hexes away behind your Atlas, if the Arrow IV launcher was 18 or more hexes away from said secret hex, firing the missile indirectly on the PREVIOUS turn.

But yes, Arrow IVs Homing is a straight roll of 4 on 2d6 to hit targets that were TAGged in the special TAG phase right before weapons fire phase. (BattleMech Manual p. 97) You really have to screen your assault 'Mechs with pulsey hunter-killers to bring down TAG 'Mechs before they get close enough to TAG.

The tank firing them was like 15 hexes ish away from the Atlas, in the frontal arc. It seemed kinda bullshit that if you have a light mech behind the Atlas and it TAGs the Atlas in the rear, that the missile will fly past the atlas, do a U-turn, in mid-air, mind you, and then fly into the rear armor.

Edit:

So you have to declare a hex to target with Indirect a turn before? As in -

1. Declare hex to target
~ turn passes ~
2. Attempt to TAG
3. If TAG'd, hits on +4 where the TAG is from?

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 12, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

LeschNyhan posted:

There's TacOps errata here, see page 72.

https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Tactical-Operations-2019-12-06-v3.03.pdf

They did update it to stipulate that the hit is 'resolved against the unit's facing relative to the unit that fired the missile' from previous editions, along with some other clarifications. You can fire Arrow IVs using direct fire rules as well - which is to say they can be TAG'd, fired and hit in the same overall round. So no, the Arrow IV missile shouldn't be doing a U-turn and slamming into the back of your 'mech.

Thanks for finding that.

\/ I get that, taking the missile from where the firing unit's facing. Theres not much that can take 20 points to the rear torso.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 12, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to whoever suggested using a Wraith.

This thing just wrecks things. Amazing mech for its BV cost.

Its pretty much an auto-include in every list I run now.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience running a heavy close range lance?

I want to try the following 7500 bv lance -

Pretty much using cover, terrain, smoke and jumping to close the range.

Berserker/KC to tank fire and to hit stuff, Pulses on the other two to hit and the wraith to gently caress up anything that tries to be cheeky and get back shots.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 14, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

There are two strategies to running a close range lance on its own (without other lances to support it).

The first is to bring a sacrificial Zombie like the notorious Archangel. The Wraith can somewhat do this since it's quick enough to make a nuisance of itself but ideally probably isn't the 'Mech you want drawing all the fire early in a match. In this lance, the closest thing to a Zombie you have is the King Crab which is full of very explosive ammo and IIRC lacks CASE. It also lacks jump jets which means it's not great in one of the two environments short ranged juggernauts do well in (heavy forests). Your opponents are also probably going to want to target the Berzerker because it's probably the first thing that will be able to attack one of their 'Mechs.

The second is to sneak in a long range support 'Mech that your opponents will need to close to kill, like the KGC-001 Clanbuster King Crab with its two Gauss Rifles. Unfortunately the Clanbuster's got an XL engine so it's a lot more fragile than the Royal King Crab.

The best strategy is to do both. MAD-4A Marauder II, AWS-8Q Awesome, or AWS-9Q Awesome are all solid long-range zombie nuisances that can help enable the rest of your lance to perform their close range duties. Move them into a central position in some woods where they've got good firing lanes and either start sneak-sneaking with the rest of your lance or wait in ambush for your opponent to rush in to kill the sniper.

Thanks. Will try out the Marauder 2. Why is the Archangel so notorious? I probably shouldn't run it with my comstar painted units since its a wobbie mech right?

Although the last game I played, some dude ran clan mechs with a wob malak...

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
You can ask to see your opponents sheets before the game right? I wasn't familiar with a vehicle and the guy i was playing just told me the stats and got really salty when I asked to actually see the sheet.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

Don't play with that guy again. He doesn't deserve stompy robot fun.

Yeah. I wasn't even asking for anything crazy. I just wanted to see how much armor a particular tank had.

Battletech scene around these parts is rather sparse.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Dumb question, I added some of the faction dice, how do you pick which faction you want?

\/ thanks!

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 21, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Is it better to specialize lists or general all rounders?

Trying to build an 8k list for tomorrow, and deciding whether to bring assaults and mediums, or a bunch of heavies.

List 1: Nightstar/King Crab 000b/Wraith/Wraith/Heavy LRM carrier
List 2: Archer 2K/Flashman-9C/Awesome-9Q/Crab-27b/Penetrator-6S

Same amount of units, but the damage output is spread out a lot more.

List 1 I imagine the crab gets focused unless I hide it while the wraiths become a general nuisance and screen the heavy LRM carrier and nightstar.
List 2 Everything just moves across the map shooting.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
where did you get that crab?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I love the KGC. It either does a bunch of damage, or tanks a bunch of damage and lets my other units go unmolested.

Usually a bit of both.

I usually run the KGC-000b for the extra ammo. Do y'all just run the normal KGC and save the extra 100 or 200 points?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Does one try to match clan forces in pilot skill (as in upgrade to 3/4 pilots) or just go with 4/5s and use a numbers advantage?

Got absolutely wrecked by a dual stormcrow + timberwolf + battlecobra force.

Wraiths and king crab got gunned down by Clan Pulses and skill 2 pilots, their high movement made the long range fire ineffectual.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 24, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to make a Jinggau model that doesn't look like rear end.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Can I run named variants of mechs in lists or is that something you usually ask your opponent beforehand?

Fighting a clan list again, and I want to bust out the NSR-9J Nightstar Brubaker.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

If you're going to blow 2,838 BV on a glass cannon that dies from losing a side torso (Inner Sphere XL Engine) to a Gauss Rifle explosion (Total lack of CASE which comes default on Clan 'Mechs) then you might as well take a Dire Wolf A.

:(

I am bad at building lists.

What should I be focusing on for a 10k list vs clans?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

Signal boosting this out of curiosity

My initial thought is Clans love their LPL and ERPPC bullshit so run at their face?

That was my experience last time.

I was thinking either a partial C3 lance of -

1x challenger MBT (master)
1x Awesome (slave)
scout helicopters (slave)

+ additional units

Idea is to have some relatively cheap snipers with reduced range penalty

OR

Just overwhelm with a bunch of mediums/heavies.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Good units for Anti-Clan work:
- Cheap zombies like the AWS-8Q or AWS-9Q Awesome to march up the center and hold attention. The Awesome has the range to dish it out and is only 1,600-1,800 BV. Bring a pair, keep them together.
- Something to make the OpForce think twice about just rushing your Awesomes, like a Hunchback; but a Blitzkrieg can pull double duty as a potential flanker.
- Inexpensive backstabbers with decent damage potential like the Jenner or Javelin, or a swarm of low-damage trash like Locusts and Spiders (enough that losing a few won't hurt)
- Gauss rifle carrying units like the Cerberus or, better yet, a pair of Hollanders (or better yet, if vehicles are allowed, a pair of Yellow Jackets).
- Something with a large pulse laser to deal with the occasional Fire Moth (but only if you can squeeze it in cheeply). Fortunately most regular Clan players will get destracted by all the shiny toys the heavies offer and don't realize the Fire Moth D is broken AF.

Bad units for Anti-Clan work:
- Fast medium jumpy backstabbers like the Wraith and Phoenix Hawk (you're better off using Spiders or Ostscouts. You can afford to let a 622 BV Spider die, but a Wraith is two Spiders you didn't bring). Fast medium jumpers are dangerous enough that they'll get focused and killed by any reasonable player.

So, quick sample force:
2 AWS-9Q Awesomes (1875 BV x2 = 3750 BV)
1 BTZ-3F Blitzkrieg (1273 BV)
2 BZK-F3 Hollanders (953 BV x2 = 1906 BV)
3 SDR-5V Spiders (622 BV x3 = 1866 BV)

That's eight 'Mechs, for a total of 8795 BV

So then you've got some options to use the remaining BV. You could drop a Spider for a second Blitzkrieg, or for a pair of Panthers or a pair of Sentinels for added annoyance factor (Panthers and Sentinels are pretty good escorts for the Awesomes). You could also try to get a fast response pulse laser unit for dealing with light 'Mechs if your opponent is prone to bringing those. Trading a Spider for a pair of Venoms would be my personal suggestion since they can easily catch most anything that isn't a Fire Moth and can pull double duty as backstabbers provided they don't get murdered by Clan Large Pulse Lasers.

You could also do something fun with UM-AIV Urbanmechs (the Arrow IV variant) and trading the Spiders for OTT-9S Ostscouts, but you're sacrificing their backstab potential for Arrow IVs so if you go this route be ready to make a few random kick or punch attacks as the situation warrants.

Edit: You could also laugh at the idea of trying to engage the Clans and bring 7 Blitzkriegs (8911 BV) and a Hollander. I call that the Defiance Industries method.

Double Edit: There's also the Word of Blake approach.
2 C-ANG-OA Archangel Dominus (2134 BV x2 = 4268 BV). There are few things more frustrating to fight than an Archangel and you have two of them supporting each other.
4 GUR-8G Gurkhas (1229 BV x4 = 4916 BV)
Or whatever else floats your boat instead of the Gurkhas that costs under 1300 BV and carries C3i. This is a full C3i Level 1 right here. You've got about about a thousand BV left over to make everyone VDNI cyborgs, or you can drop a Gurkha for extra Mechwarrior upgrades.

Triple Edit: You could also bring three Great Turtles if you like the idea of definitely dying eventually but seeing how many turns it takes the other guy to actually successfully pull that off. :v:

Thats very helpful. Alot of models I don't have though. I do have an archangel though, so definitely going to try that out.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

The biggest red flag I've ever seen was making any miniatures (made by their company) painted with another company's paints ineligible for any tournament.

Not hard to guess who.

How the gently caress do you even tell?

I do like the idea of running 2x Awesomes, or 2x Archangels.

I will try that if I face clans again.

I do want to give my melee lance a try though so will run

1x berserker BRZ-C3 (C3 slave)
1x nightstar 9SS
1x challenger mbt XI (C3 master)
1x wraith TR1
1x archangel Infernus

if I play against a "normal" IS list

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 5, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I also like painting mechs more than playing. It wasn't until recently I actually started playing the tabletop version of BT. Only started to get more into it after a certain other company made it prohibitively expensive to play their tabletop game.

Anyways, I am working on painting up an "urban warfare company" for my ComGuards.

Any suggestions on what mechs I should add?

I've got a Banshee and Crab coming already.

Heres what I have currently

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 5, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

I was hoping for a comparative essay on Battletech manufacturer design philosophies, ngl

Well... there is Quikscell...

So like, imagine if you were to buy your fighter from AliExpress instead of Lockmart, thats Quikscell.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Quikscell_Company

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

These look fuckin sweet, nice job!

Thanks!

Heres my take on the celestials.

Also work-in-progress on this lil' guy

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 6, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
oops. post instead of edit

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
meme aside, I think the base urbanmech is kinda poo poo. Its too drat slow.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Are there any books about C3 networks in use? Or any crazy wobbie shenanigans?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Wow, jumpy mechs are really really good.

Nightstar 9FC, Nightsky-4T, Wraith TR1, Grasshopper 5N
vs
Awesome, Catapult, Battlemaster and Wolverine.

Poor deployment on the opponent's side, but the Nightstar held and tanked the middle of the map while the 3 jump mechs just stuck together and rolled up the flank.
Took out the Catapult and battlemaster while only suffering some armor damage to everything before we called it.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
So theres a scenario that involves a traitor in your lance that you have to try to get killed by the enemy force. (I.e. no self induced engine overheats, etc)

My idea is to stick him in a Hunchback IIC and point him straight at the enemy.

Incredibly dangerous mech, with paper thin armor.

Thoughts?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

I think you may find the Hunchback IIC is sturdier than you expect, but it's otherwise a good idea. Alternatively the original MAD-3R Marauder has an explosive left torso.

Cheap too!

Thanks for the suggestion.

\/ Can't use light mechs. My other idea was to put him in a lovely phoenix hawk, and oops he forgot to jump this turn.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

SCP-1O Scorpion.

Same problems as both the Marauder (unprotected ton of ammo in the left torso) and Hunchback IIC (paper-thin armor) combined and all saddled to a quad, which are easier to make genuinely accidental maneuvering mistakes with.

The OG JM6-S JagerMech's up there, too. Less likely to die to an ammo crit, but even less armor than the Scorpion.

Edit: It's less explosive, but there's also the Capellan CGR-1L Charger. That's the one that trades in the small lasers for a large laser and two mediums (at the cost of 4.5 tons of armor, giving it just slightly more armor than a Locust).

Amazing. Whats the point of such a lovely mech? (The Charger)