Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Painted my first mech :unsmith: I’ve done far more 40k and Star Wars models than comfortable admitting to, but mechs still manage to seem a little different. At any rate, yes I was a fan of the cartoon and saw it as it aired, why do you ask :v:

gently caress doing the red axe though, Adam Steiner can keep that to himself in his propaganda series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

You should put some googly eyes above the cockpit. Then when you look at it from above it looks like a happy squid.

Source: have been doing this since the 90s

The mental image of this is good, I’ll think on it :laffo:

Just finished a Bushwhacker!

The red trim was almost too much, but it worked out well I think.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rorahusky posted:

Please, it's not 'scrounging' or 'stealing'. It is Tactical Resource Procurement.

Strategically Taking Equipment And Liberating Supplies :colbert:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PhotoKirk posted:

My grandfather was a quartermaster in the Army Air Corps. He called it requisitioning.

Having been in the army, supply people are absolutely the best/slimiest thieves you’ll ever meet.

Get them on your side and keep it that way, elseways lots of expensive things go missing suddenly 🤔

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I didn't think there would be enough space in the cockpit for a pilot to shuffle around like that. How big is a cockpit relative to a person? Mw5 makes it look like the pilot is surrounded by their controls

The cartoon Steiner propaganda piece made the cockpits look semi-roomy, although why you wouldn’t build it into the pilot’s seat itself somehow is beyond me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Chainclaw posted:

Finished painting five more things today

Nice! I finished up my merc company for an Alpha Strike event I may get to go to next month. Think I might call the company Canned Sunshine?

Command/support:

Lance 1:

Lance 2:

If I did it right, these are all mechs available to a merc company right on the cusp of the Clan invasion. None of this is required (aside from a basic attempt at painting), it just nets some extra judges’ points that’ll go into the final score. The one rule I’m butting up against is on mech chassis, you can bring 2 of a single chassis (both hunchbacks) but they have to be different variants (4G vs 5M in my case).

First lance is wayyy darker than the second one, it just isn’t showing up so well via pics. The Stalker’s middle-line might also be a little weird, but I promise it’s there. Half of it looks like the one lance (black/red trim), half looks like the other (silver/red trim). Gold cockpits and rockets on both sets.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

Not sure if this was intended but those are almost exactly Wolfs Dragoons Black Widow Company parade scheme. And they look pretty drat good! My only recommendation would be some edge highlighting, it's very simple and quick and like 80% of Battletech players I've met forget to do it even though it really elevates the look.

If you decide to edge highlight those just make sure not to use white. Since they're mostly black you want a grey at most (and like a pink on red panels, like the Axeman shoulder).

Thanks, but no edge highlighting for me. I’m already crosseyed as it is painting these 😂

Scheme also wasn’t intentional, I’m just a sucker for red/black. Should’ve figured it was used somewhere already, but I’ll do it again all the same :)

Speaking of painting, just finished a Steiner scout pile o’ guns with a skull on top

Probably would’ve been a touch more menacing with red trim on the skull bits, but red/green makes me think of Christmas…so that just wasn’t going to work :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There's an Alpha Strike event happening next weekend in Winston-Salem, NC. Is anyone else going? I'm taking my energetic band of mercs (Canopian Cocaine Collectors, inc; aka C3i :dadjoke: ).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

a cyborg mug posted:

There’s a comprehensive cockpit guide floating around the net if you need it, it’s by one of the people who’ve designed the new mechs. I can’t find a link online right now but I have it in my files so if you need it, hit me up

I want this, but I don’t want to find out how badly I might’ve missed on some of my mechs :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I find painting and posing models to be very relaxing as well. I think it helps that I quit worrying about them being as good as other ones I saw people making, and instead focused on just trying to have a good time.

Agreed, it’s really therapeutic for me. I’ve painted everything from huge armies before (a whole infantry company worth of Imperial Guard, to start), all the way down to fighter squadrons for Star Wars: Armada (each one is like half the size of a fingernail), and they’re all a delight in their own way*. Painting is still something I turn to whenever I’m feeling stressed.

*aside from the VCX-100 Ghost, for Armada. That thing can go gently caress itself thoroughly.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Almost 50 people playing at this AS tournament in Winston Salem! I’m 2-2 so far, 2 close wins, 1 close defeat, and 1 blowout against me :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That's a pretty good turnout, how many layers deep is the bracket?

No idea. 6 games total for everyone, though! Not sure what the scoring scheme is, I’m mostly just there for stompy-robit violence.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

Whoa, where in WS? I didn't even know there was a decent game shop there these days

So, the guy running it has a “shop” in that he has an ungodly amount of battletech stuff on retail racks in his garage, and a bunch of collectible stuff floating around as well. It’s called Fortress Games and Minis. Idk what strings he pulled to have us playing in the gym at a local school, but he pulled it off and has enough terrain to have over 25 playable tables, sponsors/prize support, swag bags, and some serious draw. I played people from western NC, Atlanta, and Florida today.

I think the turnout is nearly doubled from what it was last year too, so here’s to hoping next year sees another increase.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We had 52 total players in Winston Salem. Lots of good prize support, lots of big stompy robots doing lots of shooting, stomping, and smashing, 10/10 would happily do again next year.

i was 3-3 with weak wins and catastrophic losses 😂

Comedy of the dice: my near-pristine Warhammer having its cockpit turned into a pile of smoke, fire, and general ruin by an automatic crit, followed by another natural 12 on 2d6.

Couldn’t help but laugh at it I pulled the poor thing off the table :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I love the simultaneous fire in AS. In X-wing, pilot initiative is a thing that can potentially have a ship dead before it ever had a chance to shoot, which can feel pretty dirty sometimes (but lead to some higher risks, too).

The pilot skills there run 1-6, with 6 being your god-tier pilots (Wedge Antilles, Vader, etc) and 1 being a fresh academy grad that barely knows their flight controls. Combat runs on pilot initiative, starting at the top (shoot with all the 6’s across both sides, then the 5’s, and so on). Named pilots often have some pilot ability, and some of those make them even more lethal beyond their high initiative.

High-initiative pilots killing low-initiative pilots has been a core part of the game since it came out, but it still feels a little dirty sometimes. I might just feel that way because I like flying piles of TIE craft with no-name pilots (no shields, no problems! :black101: )

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

Has anyone ever played with ALL the optional rules including building their own mechs and playing with the campaign rules? Or played in a Tournament with all the "Tournament" rules?

Was it worth it, and did it get any faster or was it as slow as I suspect it will be?

I did a tournament at the beginning of last month, and there was a slight rules mod for the event (that I can’t recall right now). All games were set at 10 rounds/2hrs, but looking around it seemed fairly rare for anyone to make it past round 6 or play all the way to time.

Usually because everything was on fire, exploding, or had already done one of those things :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I think Alphastrike has rules for infantry and vehicles too.

It does! Infantry, mechanized infantry hanging off the side of mechs, tanks, artillery, and helosVTOLs

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rorahusky posted:

Yeah, that's probably their best use. Speed them to an objective and drop them off somewhere that it's a right pain in the rear end to dig out, so the enemy can't capture it. They'll either be forced to waste valuable turns and firepower dealing with your groundpounders, or leave the objective contested in favor of more substanial targets.

That’s my experience with them so far. It feels dumb to dedicate a mech’s shooting to dealing with them, but if the alternative is letting them claim an objective completely unbothered, then it’s not so dumb after all.

Also, overkill is the best kind of kill :black101:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Might be a bit late for the east coast, but just found out that Barnes and noble is running a half-off board game sale, and that includes battletech boxes. Suspect it may be in-store only. Got 2x beginner boxes, a clan starter, and AGoAC box for ~$80.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Does anyone have any good pics of bases for their mechs? Looking for ideas/inspiration.

Similar note, do y’all base your combat vehicles? Not sure how much I like not having mine on a base.

In an effort to avoid doing too much work, I tried to use a wash to darken the back of the missile pods on my Timberwolf so that only the golden missile tips would show…it didn’t work so well :v:

Overall satisfied though. Changed the panel color on my Archer to match the Timberwolf, gonna have a Dragoon star floating around soon :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There are some blueprints listed as Battletech infantry on myminifactory.com.

Example:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-6mm-1-285-trooper-for-battletech-and-similar-games-219590

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve been at it a fair bit recently, a good balance between mechs, tanks, and missile boats.

Also magnetized the turrets on all the tanks, so they’re not sitting there awkwardly waiting to fall out. Bonus: they still traverse!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Xotl, I know your ability to influence the minis line is probably pretty limited; but if CGL ever gets worried the UrbanMech meme is wearing thin you could always recommend a box of Cats (Timberwolf D, Mad Cat Mk. II, Mad Cat Mk. III, Savage Wolf, and Alpha Wolf all in the same star box).

I'd buy an unhealthy number of those and I've already got eight Mad Cats. Maybe nine. I've lost count.

I want to run a whole star of Mad Cats, points be damned :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The urbie in the back is looking away in shame :laffo:

as it should :colbert:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Speaking of 3d printing, does anyone know where to get in-scale helo models? 6mm infantry aren’t so hard to find, but I want some VTOLs and don’t want to buy more metal models.

e: the plan is to have some a diorama with kind of aerodyne dropship landed/on their landing approach, mechs at the ready to jump out and a pair of VTOLs perched on top, mid-takeoff (because the spirit of :jeb: possessed them and the VTOLs rode to planetside on the outside of the dropship).

e2: is there a 3d printing thread anywhere on this website?

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 10, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Is there a good way to connect with people in your area for in-person games? I'm just getting into this whole thing and I love it, but I would really like to find more players nearby if they exist...

Find a store that at least sells the mechs, and see if they've got a Facebook/discord/other option for organizing games. There's a store in Cary, NC (Hangar 18) doing announcements for all of their games/leagues on Meetup, of all places, so that may also be an option.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

How did you get a cockpit pic of my character in MW5 :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Did a clan elemental in Jade Falcon colors, as best I could getting stepped on by a Timberwolf. Also experimenting with technical paints, and liking the crackle pattern that’s emerging as it dries. Doing a straight red as the base coat on…the base :v:, then doing Martian ironearth over that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

And after training, regularly pitted 30 of their most capable fighters against each other in tournaments that had a reasonably high probability of killing everyone who wasn't the final victor.

The Clans were living the "Life is cheap, BattleMechs are expensive" tagline and proving why it's entirely false.

And after that, regularly bidding away whatever other advantages they still had in the name of their honor system, because they weren't fighting the Inner Sphere nearly as much as they were fighting each other.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The redesigned Ostroc and Mobile HQ look pretty sweet! I'd kind of like to have a mobile HQ to be a C3 master node, I'm trying to build out a combined-arms section to go along with a light/medium lance or two for my mercs.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

evilmiera posted:

I'm a big fan of Command mechs/vehicles that are anemic in terms of their own weaponry but boost and disrupt other units, but it never seems to work out too well when I play.

Here's your ticket, then. C3M2/ECM command vehicle to go with the new model, if you're into that sort of dark magic.

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/4669/morningstar-city-command-vehicle-company-command

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Got basecoating done for my Martian Camo unit and, well.

I'm not sure adding splotches of a darker, richer red are going to make this look less like someone made an Atlas out of raw meat.

Meat is cheap, mechs are no-

Ok now I’m confused.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Now comes the part where I kick myself because I just realized I painted the 'mechs I set aside for desert camo up as Mars camo.

I can probably just re-prime them but it's a pretty similar combination of 'Mechs (long range ammo users primarily) so I might just roll with the gently caress-up. One desert's as good as another, right?

…so you’ve got a whole desert meat-market going on then?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Joe Mechjacker

OSHA thread’s truckfuckler goes by many names, but always lives on :unsmith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Got a horrible thought sticking in my head and that is Stefan Amaris with a trump toupee.

The hair doesn’t stop taking new hosts, it just moves between them as they die. The brainworms that are along for the ride don’t change, though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Take that poor thing outside before it makes a mess on the carpet! :mad:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I have to wonder how many more folks are playing elementals now that there’s an easy way to buy plastic models compared to before the Clan Invasion Box.

Gonna use mine as generic battle armor. Well, most of them. One of them got done in clan JF colors, and is currently serving as a footstool for one of my timber wolves :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I challenge you to a trial of--wait, this is already a trial. poo poo.

*gets tackled by the bailiff*

This little blurb in whatever Legendary Pilots book it was in is one of my favorites. The fact it kept dumping on him non-stop was perfection. “The Malthus depicted in the holovid would’ve been immediately recognizable to anyone who ever knew him and wasn’t really much of an exaggeration” never fails to make me giggle.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Libluini posted:

Turns out I still have some colors, but they're basically the consistence of granite now. Can I save them somehow, maybe by mixing some water in? Or can I throw my old colors into the trash now?

Once they harden, they’re trash. I use them out of sheer inertia at this point, if my whole paint collection disappeared I’d be asking the painting thread what’s a better option.

e: painting thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660745&perpage=40&noseen=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Never underestimate the appeal of GIGANTIC STOMPY ROBITS doing what they do best.