Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
chter Belmond?

I want to experience some gaming as them because of today's Smash announcement!, but has only played Sotn and Dawn of Sorrow. I am a spoiled, bratty modern gamer, so I prefer like modern updated versions of games as possible: beter graphics, yes plewase! I don't like 8bit graphics and probably wouldnt be down to play with NES graphics. Achievos? Would be nice! Port to a modern platform including Steam would be ideal prolly. I also need to look up which games these guys are even in.

Skylark fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Richter: Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Simon: Castlevania 1

They arent in many games all things considered.

Since you dont want NES graphics Rondo of Blood or SotN in Richter mode is all you've got really.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Rondo
X

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
What the Christ?!? Indie treasures showing up on my Castlevania search??? Seems like the only Castle games on Steam are all the weird 3D ones that I think arent supposed to be good? I dont really know though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

This, although Super Castlevania 4 is an honorable mention for Simon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only version of the Richter Belmont game Rondo Of Blood is japanese only and was only available on the Wii virtual console which I think is permanently down now. So you'd have to use a TurboGrafX emulator or play the PSP version that looks ugly.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

You can play it in Dolphin

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

The only version of the Richter Belmont game Rondo Of Blood is japanese only and was only available on the Wii virtual console which I think is permanently down now. So you'd have to use a TurboGrafX emulator or play the PSP version that looks ugly.

The PSP remake has the original version unlockable

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Since you dont want NES graphics Rondo of Blood or SotN in Richter mode is all you've got really.

What about Judgement or whatever the extremely lovely Wii game is called. Is Simon in that

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

What about Judgement or whatever the extremely lovely Wii game is called. Is Simon in that

Yeah he is but Richter isn't :wtc:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

No but Light from Death Note who was decapitated at one point pretending to be simon is

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Richter: Rondo of Blood. If emulating PC-Engine sounds like a pain it was released on Wii VC and as part of Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP (which also has a 2.5D remake if you actually like that style). Everyone tells me the SNES Dracula X is just Rondo but worse so skip it.

For Simon play 1, skip 2 it's non linear in a dumb and confusing way. Super Castlevania 4 is also fun but very easy by Castlevania standards. Great graphics for the time though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

P-Mack posted:

Richter: Rondo of Blood. If emulating PC-Engine sounds like a pain it was released on Wii VC and as part of Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP (which also has a 2.5D remake if you actually like that style). Everyone tells me the SNES Dracula X is just Rondo but worse so skip it.

For Simon play 1 and 3, skip 2 it's non linear in a dumb and confusing way. Super Castlevania 4 is also fun but very easy by Castlevania standards. Great graphics for the time though.

3 is Trevor not Simon. But it's still excellent

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

P-Mack posted:

For Simon play 1 and 3, skip 2 it's non linear in a dumb and confusing way. Super Castlevania 4 is also fun but very easy by Castlevania standards. Great graphics for the time though.

Castlevania 3 is Trevor Belmont. But its the best NES one too.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

3 is Trevor not Simon. But it's still excellent

You're correct and caught me in the 10 seconds before I remembered and edited. Pro loremastering.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
K cool I have the vWii on my wiiu modded. I havent used it in a while but I think I'll put some games on there.. I went ahead and grabbed Castlevania 1-3 and Rondo of Blood, I can check them out on there! Thanks for recommendations gamers!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

In Training posted:

iirc there's a prepatched pc copy floating around thats easy to set up

try the link here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXg9AhsLXAg

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Seems like pretty much every castlevania game you play as a different person.. So i dont feel as bad for not having played as SImon and Richter (except into the intro of Sotn?? is that him???) But ya ill have to check these games out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CV1,3 and Rondo are drat fine games, enjoy

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Skylark posted:

Seems like pretty much every castlevania game you play as a different person.. So i dont feel as bad for not having played as SImon and Richter (except into the intro of Sotn?? is that him???) But ya ill have to check these games out.

It's him in sotn and you can also play as him the whole game. It's post game content but I think if you just enter your name as Richter you can do it anytime.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

P-Mack posted:

It's him in sotn and you can also play as him the whole game. It's post game content but I think if you just enter your name as Richter you can do it anytime.

For some reason you actually have to enter your name as RICHITER...

edit: maybe I'm crazy but I definitely remember that

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Evil Eagle posted:

For some reason you actually have to enter your name as RICHITER

Lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ok I'm making stuff up oops

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Evil Eagle posted:

For some reason you actually have to enter your name as RICHITER...

edit: maybe I'm crazy but I definitely remember that
Don't make me go Uncle at Nintendo on your rear end.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

super castlevania 4 is really loving good

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skylark posted:

What the Christ?!? Indie treasures showing up on my Castlevania search??? Seems like the only Castle games on Steam are all the weird 3D ones that I think arent supposed to be good? I dont really know though.

supposedly they arent great but hideo kojima made them so i bet theres at least something good about them

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I actually just played through Rondo of Blood the first time two weeks ago, emulating the PC engine version with an english patch. It was a pain to set up but it's worth it, it's a very good game. You can google "Rondo of Blood english rom" and the very first result is the PC engine rom pre patched to english. Setting up the emulator is a pain in the butt, just make sure you download the correct BIOS file for PC Engine because I had the wrong BIOS and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

aria of sorrow on the GBA is very very good and a piece of cake to emulate e: it doesnt involve the characters announced..but it is some of the finest castlevania gaming

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 8, 2018

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Im kind of curious about emulating it on pc for convenience + getting to use a cool controller (even thinkign about using an arcade stick for epic win??) I already grabbed the files for my vWii so i'll install those and maybe give it a shot. But emulating would be cool too.. I'll probably try both.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I played Rondo of Blood on Mednafen the PC Engine among other platform emulators and it was cool OP. So check that out but since you're a bratty gamer you probably want daddy to wrap everything up into a nice little package for you. I think you can get it on the PSP and the virtual console or something

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Skylark posted:

Im kind of curious about emulating it on pc for convenience + getting to use a cool controller (even thinkign about using an arcade stick for epic win??) I already grabbed the files for my vWii so i'll install those and maybe give it a shot. But emulating would be cool too.. I'll probably try both.

Cheers

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Tbh even though I already did all the legwork to get Castlevania 1-3 and Rondo on my vWii, there are downsides with that as well.. Because its in vWii i have to use battery-powered Wii controllers. Kinda wanna try these with an arcade stick on pc cause that would be epic, and not use up AA batteries. Ill look into those options..

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

now I want to play castlevania too. thanks op

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

now I want to play castlevania too. thanks op

Ya just watching them swing hte whip around in the Smash announcement looked so fun!! So I wanna play the games now

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Play IV then it lets you swing it in any direction and even do a silly waggle move.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

P-Mack posted:

Play IV then it lets you swing it in any direction and even do a silly waggle move.

👀 But who do you play as??

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skylark posted:

👀 But who do you play as??
Simon

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's a remake/reimagining of CV1.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

P-Mack posted:

It's a remake/reimagining of CV1.

OMg cool i will play that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I.N.R.I posted:

supposedly they arent great but hideo kojima made them so i bet theres at least something good about them

that was just a marketing ploy, he didn't really do anything on any of them

the first one is packed with filler but is still a decent western action game

the side-view one made for 3DS sucks, it's super simple and gains nothing from being in 2D

the third one is split between castle sections and near-future sections, none of it is great and all the future stuff is awful

• Locked thread