Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Everyone forgets that Richter is playable in Portrait of Ruin, prob the best overall Metroidvania in terms of gameplay (better balanced and challenge compared to SotN and NO loving GRINDING necessary to farm Souls like in the Soma Cruz games in order to unlock cool abilities).

But yeah, Richter is unlockable in PoR (or maybe with a secret code, I forget) and he is part of a tag team with Maria which is cool because you can kick a lot of rear end with Richter and then switch to a little girl who also kicks rear end by throwing her kitty cat and pet birdies at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

arcade sticks pwn . portrait of ruin also pwns probably but i played it like 15 years ago or something.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Shiki Dan posted:

Everyone forgets that Richter is playable in Portrait of Ruin, prob the best overall Metroidvania in terms of gameplay (better balanced and challenge compared to SotN and NO loving GRINDING necessary to farm Souls like in the Soma Cruz games in order to unlock cool abilities).

But yeah, Richter is unlockable in PoR (or maybe with a secret code, I forget) and he is part of a tag team with Maria which is cool because you can kick a lot of rear end with Richter and then switch to a little girl who also kicks rear end by throwing her kitty cat and pet birdies at people.

Ok i need to play this.. Dawn of Sorrow was my first castlevania and i loved it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Skylark posted:

just play all the DS ones they're really good

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Skylark posted:

Did you play Julius mode? I liked that more than the main game, it's a Castlevania 3 homage.

And yes Portrait of Ruin is great.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Ok I'm making stuff up oops

You're thinking of Portrait of Ruin where they misnamed their own drat mode to be called Richiter mode.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

ok thats it, im hype, gonna go for Castlevania IV on SNES Classic and then play a DS Castlevania I haven't tried before, maybe Portrait of Ruin.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Dang the intro for Rondo of Blood is really cool.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o076MlHKXL8 Epic

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
IV is a big clunker but it’s maybe not a bad one to start with. It’s got the core movement/attack of the series with a more options bolted on which make it more forgiving. There’s also the Japanese computer port of 1 that has sick graphics but I don’t remember how close it is to the original

Rondo rules and it’s the best classicvania by a mile. If you’ve played sotn you will appreciate. Lots of the monsters and environments came from rondo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
They remade the Gameboy Castlevania Adventure on the Wii and its really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPiMLHJuCo0

Especially considering the original Gameboy one was pretty bad

Japan got a Gameboy color release of the game too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgQHC5OMg0s

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I gotta say, I hate pretty much all the Belmont modern redesigns (black leather Simon is awful), with the exception of the Dracula X Chronicles version of Richter, I think it's by far his best look.

IV is pretty fun, and feels more foreboding and creepy then the other games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Milkman posted:

There’s also the Japanese computer port of 1 that has sick graphics but I don’t remember how close it is to the original

It plays more or less the same but they added a bunch of levels and remixed the old ones, they basically reimagined it as a mid-90s arcade game

it's really good but it's definitely something you should play after the mainline games since it riffs on those a bunch, and also because it's pretty tough

Castlevania Chronicles on Playstation is a port of that game with an added easy mode that uses Kojima redesigns for the characters to match the SOTN style, arranged CD music, etc

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What's the best way to play Rondo without emulating?

Edit: I guess this was answered earlier and the answer is "you basically can't." hell. poo poo.

Nostradingus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 14, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nostradingus posted:

What's the best way to play Rondo without emulating?

Edit: I guess this was answered earlier and the answer is "you basically can't." hell. poo poo.

Unlock the original version in the PSP remake

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Or just download a save with the game already unlocked since PSP saves are open as poo poo.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

You're running an emulated version of the original in the app game tho :twisted:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Or just download a save with the game already unlocked since PSP saves are open as poo poo.

you can just enter a name that unlocks it

edit nevermind im thinking of sotn

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you can't use the name passwords in SotN either until you beat it once!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEAJZwCOSig

Both games have Richter!

It's coming out on PS4 just in time for Halloween. :drac:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Both games have Richter!

Yo that's sick.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Both games have Richter!

Nice

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I'm really excited to play both those games for the first time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6KooOVOAjA

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Both games have Richter!

i wonder if they're putting in the cut saturn content for SOTN

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

they're not, it's just the original releases.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phantasium posted:

they're not, it's just the original releases.

rats

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Actually it looks like it’s the PSP versions emulated in Sony’s PSP emulator like Parappa and Locoroco

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Actually it looks like it’s the PSP versions emulated in Sony’s PSP emulator like Parappa and Locoroco

😫

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEELKEZboBI

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thank You Sony

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Blluuuugggghhhhh

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfao this

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lol

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If it really is the PSP versions then that means they went to the effort of ripping out the 3D Rondo remake just so they could pretend it's not the PSP version

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I bought a Saturn just to play the Saturn version of SotN. It wasn't worth it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, i've heard it sucks, but i'd still like to play the extra poo poo at some point

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

The saturn extras are trash

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

yeah, i've heard it sucks, but i'd still like to play the extra poo poo at some point

Satirn emularion is really easy. Get retrorach with the mednafen core and enjoy all the weird frame drops and bad dithering on effect and fuxked up sounds from the original game that have been hosed up more by emulation today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

its not worth it. picture the big straight corridor from dawn of sorrow with nothing but 10 succubus enemies standing in a neat row in it and thats basically the extra area

• Locked thread