Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I routinely forget what the page size is.

edit: well, that was convenient.

PetraCore posted:

The Nanami's egg arc is amazing.

Honestly the thing that stuck out for me most about that was Saionji's bowl of too many eggs. Why do you have that many eggs, Saionji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Quick help me post another 38 posts.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

AweStriker posted:

I routinely forget what the page size is.

edit: well, that was convenient.

Honestly the thing that stuck out for me most about that was Saionji's bowl of too many eggs. Why do you have that many eggs, Saionji.
Someone who lives on the edge.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Chapter V: My Student Council Didn't Have Ominous Organ Music :saddowns:

Last time, Protagonist Us met the Acting Chairman of Ohtori Academy, Akio Ohtori, and we were assigned to the East Dorm. Some new figures are not too thrilled about this new arrangement...

:siren: Soundtrack: That God's Name is Abraxas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBXstKmqebE

Touga: If it cannot break its egg's shell, the chick will die without being born.

Touga: We are the chick.

Touga: The world is our egg.

Touga: If we do not crack the world's shell, we will die without being born.

Touga: Smash the world's shell for the sake of world revolution!

I was on my school's student council all the way through high school and I never got to hear that kind of a speech. :( Anyway, this speech of Touga's is interesting: it's loosely based on a speech from Hermann Hesse's novel Demain: "The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy a world. The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas." Of course, Touga's speech is in the manga version, as well:

But the anime turns it from a one-off statement of Touga's ideology into a mantra he recites at the start of every Student Council session he presides over. (Also, the manga version has Utena swayed a bit more by Touga's goofy pretentious monologuing than anime-Utena would be, but everyone has the hots for manga-Touga).

The Student Council meeting is now in session. Let's see what's on the agenda. (Also note that our focus character, Protagonist Us, young Patter Song, isn't here. We're privy to information she isn't sometimes.

Touga: It seems the East Dorm has gained a new resident.

Meet Ms. Juri Julie July Jury Arisugawa. I've literally seen all of the above transliterations of her name, and they're all basically viable, though some are more natural than others. The translation uses Juri, but I'm going to use Jury following the official English releases of both the manga and the anime. I have nothing against the Juri spelling and may in fact use them interchangeably because I don't have a professional editor looking over these posts)

Saionji: Aren't the Rose Bride and the One Engaged the only ones allowed to live there?

I believe you all are already acquainted with Mr. Kinmochi Saionji (goes by his surname because he's that sort of person), but here he is again. You can refer back to Chapter II for my analysis of him.

Meet Mr. Miki "Mickey" Kaoru. (Yes, his nickname is a ever so slightly longer vowel in his name).

Touga: Exactly.

And here's the handsome devil himself, President Touga Kiryuu. Touga's reference to the Ends of the World is to the figure manipulating events behind the scenes...the anime translation went with End of the World and the manga with World's End, but I think Ends of the World is a nice middle ground in that it implies a place rather than a state of affairs.

Jury: They say she's a new transfer student. Interesting, isn't it?

Miki: It's an irregular event...Come to think of it, Tenjou-senpai was a transfer student, too.

Saionji: A transfer student...

Seriously, game, Anime Utena Tenjou is not a transfer student. Manga Utena: Transfer student. Movie Utena: Transfer student. Anime Utena: Not a transfer student.

Saionji: Hmph, do as you like.

Jury: Sounds amusing.

Miki: Alright. Since there are no objections, I'll extend her an invitation to the masquerade ball under the Student Council's name. Is that all right?

Miki is the ONLY member of the Student Council to do any sort of actual Student Council-related work.

Touga: Yes. Thank you, Mickey.

And scene. I didn't really want to do back to back discussions of Touga, Miki, and Jury here, because Protagonist Us hasn't met them yet, but we need to space them out, so let's knock off the most important one now: Touga. Miki and Jury can wait a bit.

:siren: Touga Kiryuu Character Analysis :siren:

Animage interview with Chiho Saito and Kunihiko Ikuhara posted:

AM – Even that moment when Touga is baring his chest every week?

Saito – Eh? He bares his chest every week?

Ikuhara – Yes.

Saito – I can’t wait to see that (Saito-sensei is staggering)

Ikuhara – Yeah, it’s sexy.

Touga Kiryuu is the Student Council President of Ohtori Academy, the main antagonist of the first of the show's three arcs, Akio Ohtori's apprentice in some ways, and is the sex symbol of Revolutionary Girl Utena.

He is supposed to be absolutely irresistible to every girl on Ohtori excepting (sometimes) Utena (and presumably Anthy), as well as a number of the boys.

Even in the movie where he has a diminished role, he's still supposed to be incredibly attractive and is, in fact, the only character other than Anthy in the movie Utena shows the least bit of interest in.

Touga Kiryuu is the Prince of Ohtori Academy. He is devious and cunning beyond his years, and can use his immense personal charisma to talk people into behavior they would not usually engage in, especially if your name is Saionji. Manga-Jury has a blind crush on Touga, but the role of bitter and protective Touga fangirl in the anime is taken up by none other than Nanami Kiryuu, Touga's little sister, who is caustic and protective of her brother to a psychotic level.

Touga's romantic mantra may well be "hit it and quit it." The Shadow Girls compare him to a fisherman who catches every fish he wants to but one (a koi, a pun on koi also meaning love), and they're not far off. Touga exists as a fanservice character for the girls (and boys who prefer men) in the audience, but is also a cautionary tale about popular womanizing men. He comes off far worse in the anime than either the manga or the movie: in the manga, he's basically the third spouse in Utena's harem along with Anthy and Wakaba, but in the show he's a legitimate menace even after he begins to develop real feelings for her.

Touga's bloodtype is A, in fitting with his leadership style and dominant personality. His birthday is June 4th, making him a Gemini, surprisingly enough. He does have important ties to his sister, although they are certainly not twins.

As thanks for reading this post, have your justly-earned reward: Touga beefcake.

End Touga Kiryuu Character Analysis :siren:

Soundtrack: Paradise of Reminiscence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyEj0E794XQ

Patter Song: Here it is...the fencing hall that dad described. It's a really pretty building...like a Western cathedral. The doors are so huge, and the window frmes are so nicely decorated! I feel like I'm in another world...like I'm some sightseeing yokel. Still...I guess I'll poke my head in and take a look.

So...why, exactly, did Akio tell us to stop by the Fencing Hall on our way back to the dorm? It is a nice-looking building, though.

Let's take a peek at the nameplates of the members.

Patter Song: There was hardly anybody in the fencing club at my old school. The very first of these name plates is the captain, right?

Patter Song: Hm? I don't see a name plate for the club's adviser...Do they not have one? But that's weird. My dad used to be club adviser. Has the system changed since then?

Patter Song: Yeah, looks like nobody is here after all. They must have today off from practice. (Huh? There's something drawn on that wall. What is it?)

Wait, that gets a parenthesis? You mean you've been saying the rest of this out loud?

Ordinarily this would end the chapter, but this is a fake choice. The game expects us to do both options, but we can do them in either order.

Soundtrack: Idea of a Memory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg8lEybyJIY

:staredog: That's some wall you have there.

Wow, kudos to you, Protagonist Us. You're not completely blind.

Patter Song: Yeah, looks like nobody is here after all. They must have today off from practice.

You do, however, have the memory of a goldfish. You just said that.

If the constant mentions in the upper right corner of the screen every time we go to a new location eluded you, today is the 22nd...and this game has the fan nickname Four Days At Ohtori. Just throwing that out there. Also, I don't know why Protagonist Us dislikes the Snow White calendar this much.

Patter Song: There's a circle around the 25th. I wonder if there's a tournament going on. Wait...this date? This calendar is from fifteen years ago! Weird.

Patter Song: Yeah, looks like nobody is here after all. They must have today off from practice.

YOU JUST SAID THAT. TWICE.

What? Why? Why would you do that?

Next time: we look in the lockers, or do we? Get in your votes! Until then, the Absolute Destiny Apocalypse.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 2, 2018

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Look at the lockers. That's how NAME OMITTED got started on her plot thread, why not us too?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I vote for look in all the lockers. :downs:

It's a good thing we're not voting for specific characters because most are utterly unlikable.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Just realized I forgot to include Touga's Zodiac Sign and bloodtype, so edited that into his info.

I know the number of people here who are interested in that information is probably exactly zero (unless Nanami's posting here), but I want this thread to be relatively comprehensive on that sort of stuff.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There has to be another option.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Look at the lockers. Since they must have the day off from practice let's find out all we can while they must have the day off from practice.

They must have the day off from practice.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah, looks like nobody is here after all. They must have today off from practice.

Patter Song posted:

Meet Ms. Juri Julie July Jury Arisugawa. I've literally seen all of the above transliterations of her name, and they're all basically viable, though some are more natural than others. The translation uses Juri, but I'm going to use Jury following the official English releases of both the manga and the anime. I have nothing against the Juri spelling and may in fact use them interchangeably because I don't have a professional editor looking over these posts)
As far as I'm concerned, Juri (like her peers) is supposed to have a somewhat aristocratic-sounding Japanese name; messing with your romanization to make it a homograph of an English word is pointless and/or misleading. And there's no reason to call her "Julie" unless you're going all-in 90's-style English dub and calling Touga "Tommy."

quote:

Meet Mr. Miki "Mickey" Kaoru. (Yes, his nickname is a ever so slightly longer vowel in his name).

Well, a longer vowel sound on the last "i" and a longer consonant sound (a geminate) on the k. But yes. In Japanese, that's enough to change the name from "aristocratic-sounding Japanese name" to "name of a famous cartoon mouse."

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 2, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dallbun posted:

And there's no reason to call her "Julie" unless you're going all-in 90's-style English dub and calling Touga "Tommy."

...Mike...for Akio? Why not have it be Luke and have him be all "It's actually short for something else" when he mentions he's named after the Morning Star, the Lightbringer Lucifer?

Also, this show would be utterly impossible to censor enough to make it fit for American television of that time period unless you just stopped with the first 12 episodes, and even if you did, you'd have Nanami shoving the kitten into the river as a major plot point you'd really need to write around.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Also, this show would be utterly impossible to censor enough to make it fit for American television of that time period unless you just stopped with the first 12 episodes, and even if you did, you'd have Nanami shoving the kitten into the river as a major plot point you'd really need to write around.

Nah, cutting out the kitten revelation would be simplicity itself. Nana is jealous of Utena for drawing Tommy's attention with his gift of a kitten. The end. :downs: And then she tries to muder Utena with knives and we might still have some issues here

Anyway, Enoki Films was only a rights-broker, and working out the censorship issues in detail was not their problem. They were trying to sell anime TV rights to foreign companies; they just had to make "Ursula's Kiss" look marketable enough to make their sale.

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 2, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sorry for the lack of real votes for a while. That's on the game, though. Day 1 is mostly introduction stuff and there's fewer opportunities for player input. Once we hit Day 2, we'll have more (and more significant) choices.

This is easily the longest stretch of the game without real player input.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's fine, I'm just waiting on the chance to make the most important vote: Smooch Touga

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Potsticker posted:

It's fine, I'm just waiting on the chance to make the most important vote: Smooch Touga

Yes. Smooching. That's what Touga does.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Dallbun posted:

As far as I'm concerned, Juri (like her peers) is supposed to have a somewhat aristocratic-sounding Japanese name; messing with your romanization to make it a homograph of an English word is pointless and/or misleading. And there's no reason to call her "Julie"

Except for the reference to Julie d'Aubigny

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I got linked to this when it started, voted, and somehow forgot to bookmark it! Came across it again when I was poking through the subforum for something else. I enjoy the character analyses because while I have watched this, it was 10 years ago and part of a binge that also included Fushigi Yuugi so my memories are a bit on the fuzzy side.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Okay, so, the thing about Touga that's gone into in the movie and I believe is also intended to be canon for the anime but isn't stated outright in the anime is a bit of a doozy. The second spoilered paragraph on gets into more plot-specific spoilers with my interpretation of the anime, the first deals only with the thing revealed in the movie. I've separated the spoiler tags so you can read one without the other.

He and Nanami were adopted by a wealthy and powerful family when they were young, so young Nanami doesn't remember the adoption (this is stated outright in the anime). The reason they were adopted, however, is because their adoptive father, Mr. Kiryuu, is a pedophile who molested and raped Touga over an indeterminate period of time, with Touga not resisting because otherwise he was worried Mr. Kiryuu would move on to Nanami. This is something that neither Nanami or Saionji know, so it acts as a point of isolation for Touga, embittering him and slowly twisting his once-pure relationships with both of them in a way neither of them can understand the cause of. Furthermore, I believe it's a major point of motivation for Touga, as it essentially changes his anime arc to that of a survivor of severe sexual abuse searching for a way to regain a sense of power and control of his own body, but being blocked by the obstacles of silence, abuse coverups, and the idea that a boy can't be raped. Fight the patriarchy, Touga, don't become it!

Without being able to express and process what happened to him in a healthy manner, Touga turns to the one person in Ohtori Academy who seems to have the power, control, and confidence Touga wants for himself, Akio Ohtori. An adult watching the Revolutionary Girl Utena anime can identify Akio as a pathetic man who manipulates children and teenagers to get what he wants and whose power actually comes from Anthy, but from Touga's point of view, Akio is genuinely cool, in charge, and unable to be hurt. This leaves Touga extremely vulnerable to being groomed by Akio, and in response Touga begins to emulate Akio as best he knows how, inflicting watered-down versions of Akio's manipulation and abuse of others on the people around him. He even starts to groom Nanami in an emulation of Akio's abuse of Anthy, and from my point of view as a sexual abuse survivor, I think it's because he wants the invulnerability he thinks Akio has.

I could even go into how I feel that Touga is genuinely attracted to men as well as women, but his sexual abuse by an adult man combined with homophobic cultural rhetoric has left him entirely unable to deal with that part of himself. To Touga, attraction to another man is filthy and unclean, and while he can tolerate it with Akio because Akio has something Touga wants, I think that's also part of what causes him to treat Saionji so badly. It's pretty easy to read homoerotic and romantic overtones into Touga and Saionji's relationship, but that's also something that's really hard for either of them to deal with, so they dance around it, get super blatant about how attracted to women and totally straight they are when around each other, and then take out their jealousy or bitterness in extremely petty ways, such as when Touga burns Saionji's exchange diary with Anthy for basically no reason whatsoever. You can even interpret Saionji's entire relationship with Anthy as him fixating on the most seemingly bland and non-threatening girl in Ohtori to 'possess' in a twisted display of what he thinks romance is while not actually having to have a relationship. Touga's definitely attracted to Utena, though, and it's definitely plausible that Saionji is genuinely attracted to the person he thinks Anthy is while not being at all healthy with it. It's up to you!

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 3, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Kind of surprised no one has thoughts about the creepy image on the wall.

Anyway, update tomorrow. Plot is going to thicken.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Patter Song posted:

Kind of surprised no one has thoughts about the creepy image on the wall.

Anyway, update tomorrow. Plot is going to thicken.
Look, obviously teal-haired original character do not steal is the fusion of all 5 duelists except Nanami.

EDIT: Alternatively, just a giant mecha piloted by Juri, Miki, Saionji, and Touga to defeat Utena.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The lines point to the teal-haired character's fingers, so I think that means the duelists are actually just escaped digits of this titan who have gained sentience.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Alternatively, just a giant mecha piloted by Juri, Miki, Saionji, and Touga to defeat Utena.

Considering how the movie ended (and how the tail end of the anime involved attacking with cars, now that I think about it), I wouldn't dismiss this as a joke right away.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sorry, no update tonight. The medication I was taking is making me too drowsy to write coherently tonight. Tomorrow for sure, though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chapter VI: I Don't See Gender

Soundtrack: Temptation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5JxFGdRV1w

I don't want to break into a stranger's locker...but, as the ongoing Dragon Warrior LPs on this forum would say, "But thou must!"

Patter Song: Huh? This locker's the only one that's open. Whose is it? "Sanjouin..." Oh, so it's the captain's? They must have forgotten to lock it. Let's see...

New character alert!

Patter Song: (Who's this? Someone from the Fencing Club?)

OK, seriously, Protagonist Us. This person is wearing a corset that is open in front, revealing ample cleavage, and is wearing a choker necklace. Seriously. Do the math here.

Patter Song: (Somehow they've got this air that's so magnificent, it makes them hard to approach...But it's not a bad feeling. This must be the sort of person they mean when they say someone's aristocratic. I guess people like this also exist in real life, not just in stories and plays...)

...What? All she did was say "Hands off" because you're peeking in a locker that doesn't belong to you.

???: Who is it?

???: What did you say? Please, repeat your name.

Patter Song: (You don't have to make such a scary face...Patter Song.)

:staredog: This is unexpected.

Patter Song: How did you...?

???: ...

Patter Song: (She turned away. But isn't she still making that scary face?)

???: Only club members are allowed in here. There are personal things kept here. If you get accused of theft, you won't be able to make any excuses for yourself.

Patter Song: Oh, right! I'm sorry!

And we exit. That was...odd. We won't be getting a character profile of the new character, because she's, well, new, but if you must know, her birthday is September 24th, making her a Libra, and she has Type A blood. Anyway, let's leave Protagonist Us' gender blindness aside and leave the chalk-white fencing hall.

You think?

Patter Song: (Anyway, that person was really beautiful. It was almost unreal. So were those three this morning, and the Chairman...Ohtori Academy really is different.)

Hopefully you'll remember what this new person looks like and recognize her if you see her again a few updates from now, right? Just checking. Anyway, time to move in with Utena and Anthy!

Soundtrack: After School Girls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-G1ipZvIjE

Patter Song: (Oh, it's Utena!)

Utena: Welcome to the East Dorm!

Patter Song: Thanks!

Utena: Your room is number 22, on the second floor. It's next door to ours.

OK, we're still the only people in this dormitory, and we live on the second floor!?!

It sure is...furnished. :ohdear:

Patter Song: Did you clean the room for me?

Utena: All I did was bring up your bags. Himemiya's the one who cleaned it.

Patter Song: Thank you, Anthy!

Anthy: You're welcome.

Soundtrack: Memory of an Idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg8lEybyJIY

Now who could have a banana-shaped dialogue box?

???: Chuu Chuu.

Patter Song: (What's that voice? Nobody else is here...Is it just my imagination? After all, I am pretty tired.)

???: Chuuu.

Patter Song: N-no, I definitely heard it! U-Utena, something's in this room!

Utena: This is the East Dorm's third resident, our friend...Chu-Chu.

For whatever reason, Chu-Chu is not a romantic option. Chu-Chu was born under the Monkey Zodiac Sign and has Monkey Type Blood.

What do you mean, "be serious?"

Chiho Saito herself said so! Anyway, that's all the analysis I'm going to give Chu-Chu for now. Back to the show.

Soundtrack: Panorama of the Full Bloom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3HSgrrC3-I

Chu-Chu: Chuu.

Patter Song: So, wait, the third resident is...

Utena: Yeah, this little guy.

Chu-Chu: Chu Chuu.

Patter Song: (It's a monkey...I think. Well, then...) Nice to meet you. I'm Patter Song. We'll be living together from now on. It's a pleasure, Chu-Chu.

Did Protagonist-Us just "Yoroshiku" a monkey? I'm imagining solemnly shaking hands with a dog and saying that I hope we can do our best together.

Chu-Chu is basically a Pokemon, in terms of his vocabulary.

Series Utena really wanted Anthy to be more sociable, but I don't remember her ever pushing Chu-Chu to be more sociable.

Chu-Chu: Chuu.

Utena: Hey, Song, do you want to come to our room and have some tea? Himemiya's preparing it for us.

Anthy: It will be done soon, Utena-sama.

Patter Song: Really? In that case, I guess I'll impose on you.

Off to Utena's room, the only other occupied room in the entire building.

Utena actually, you know, has a bed.

Patter Song: What is it? A message card? Some kind of invitation? No way it's a love letter, right?

Anthy: And this one is for you, Utena-sama.

Patter Song: What about you, Anthy?

Anthy: Mine is right here.

Utena: Let's see, what is this...a masquerade ball?

Anthy: Yes, it says it's starting at 6 O'Clock tonight and is sponsored by the Student Council. It says that transfer students should definitely also attend.

Anthy, the last time you went to a ball, you went in a dress that dissolves when damp and had champagne sprayed on you. Maybe make sure you know what brand you're wearing this time.

Patter Song: (A masquerade ball! At my old school, we just had folk dances...The more I learn, the more it feels like this is a totally different world.)

Utena: Well, that's what it says. What should we do?

Patter Song: Hmm...But I don't have any dresses to wear to a ball...

Anthy: That's all right. I can lend you one.

If we're wearing one of Anthy's dresses, could we wear the cool red one that comes with a tiara?

Patter Song: Huh? Is that really OK?

Anthy: Certainly.

Well, off to the masquerade ball.

Same place as Episode 3

Even at a school for the super-rich, this is a bit much.

Patter Song: (So this party is organized by the Student Council...? Woah, that chandelier is so high up! And the food on the tables is all stuff I've never seen before...)

Who's the teenage whiz kid all the girls like to see? MIC KEY K A O R U

Patter Song: (My heart just thumped...What a cute boy! He has such pretty eyes. They're like round crystals...)

STOP DOING THAT. This is the sixth person you've had that reaction to today.

That...sure is a mask.

Anthy color-coordinated hers!

Miki: Wow, Himemiya-san, your dress is so beautiful! You look like a blooming rose.

Anthy: Why, thank you.

Utena: It must be the power of love!

Or it could be that she's literally the only girl on campus with that skin tone...

If you react like that, who could avoid teasing you?

Miki: Tenjou-senpai, you're about the only person I know who comes to balls dressed like that.

Utena: I don't like those fluttery dresses. Hey, never mind that: why aren't you wearing a mask, Mickey?

Miki: Because we Student Council members are the hosts. It would be a problem if the guests couldn't mingle with us. By the way, who's this?

Utena: Oh, I'll introduce you. She just tranferred here today. Her name is...

Patter Song: Um, Patter Song.

OK, we're finally personally meeting a Student Council member who isn't hitting a girl to the ground. Let's make the best of this.

Utena: Mickey here fences and plays piano at the national level, and he's taking university-level courses, too. He's totally brilliant.

Miki's smart, sophisticated, and well-liked.

Patter Song: Wow...(And he's younger than me. I wonder what I should talk about?)

This is our chance to make an impression!

So we can either tell him about those lovely sapphire crystals that we think his eyes are...or we could make a dad joke. I'll leave this in your capable hands, thread! I trust you'll make the wise decision here.

Before we sign off, we should look into our newcomer a bit.

:siren: Miki Kaoru Character Analysis

Miki Kaoru is a genius with a troublesome, delinquent twin sister.

Miki is the sort of kid adults love: serious and wise beyond his years, never causes trouble, and diligent. However, he's also incredibly naive and easily taken advantage of.

Especially by his aforementioned delinquent twin sister, Kozue.

Miki has a crush on Anthy and wants to pursue her, and his fear that Anthy might be taken away from him by her current Engaged leads him to participate in the duels even while otherwise abhorring them. Miki is the youngest member of Student Council and his naivete and youth are hot buttons to let Touga and Akio and Anthy manipulate him. Miki genuinely wants to be a good, helpful person, but Ohtori is no place for the kind at heart. Miki's probably the least capable Duelist out of the lot.

Miki's birthday is May 28th, making him a Gemini, and he is Blood Type O.

:siren: End Character Analysis.

So, thread, until next time, get those votes in about whether we're going to Gaze into Miki's lovely eyes or Continue Protagonist-Us' comedy career.. Until then, The Absolute Destiny Apocalypse!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Continue Protagonist-Us' comedy career.

Jokes? We got jokes. Let's keep the mood light. It's a ball, we should have fun!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Comedy.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

As the official anti-romantic here, you're going to have a fun time with the next few votes.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"So where are the other Mouseketeers?"

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
our protagonist is extremely thirsty.

bad jokes

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Mickey might be the boy we want to date/manipulate into doing horrible things. Stare into his lovely eyes

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

megane posted:

"So where are the other Mouseketeers?"

Not emptyquoting.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Talk about his eyes! He seems like a good person for Patter to get to know.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Would iut be series spoilers to say that everyone's secret is incest
No exceptions.

I mean, if it's 4 days at Ohiro Academy we won't really get into that since thqat is like, Black Rose arc stuff from what I remember.

Jokes for Days

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Veloxyll posted:

No exceptions.

I mean, if it's 4 days at Ohiro Academy we won't really get into that since thqat is like, Black Rose arc stuff from what I remember.

Jokes for Days

:gonk:
Now I have even more reasons for the anti-romantic stance.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
The "just do-el it" joke was a warning shot, thread. If you continue down this path, you have only yourselves to blame.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
ABC. Always. Be. Comedy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Veloxyll posted:

No exceptions.

Jokes for Days
I hate being reminded of that.

Dad jokes

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

When the other options all lead to horrible anime teen romance I say bring on the Dadpocalypse!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Manga Miki also had a crush on Utena, if I recall. That's not true for any of his other incarnations, fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

Manga Miki also had a crush on Utena, if I recall. That's not true for any of his other incarnations, fyi.

Miki also has a crush on Utena in the light novels. As well as... some other stuff going on.