Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
Yeah I recently rewatched and it was actually better the second time for me. Other non-show versions of Utena range from kind of interesting if disappointing in some aspects (the movie) to just offensively missing the point (the manga), but this game is....definitely something. I really want to see where this goes, just because the production values are higher than I'd have expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Refuse, for whatever good that'll do. Interacting with Touga at all is where you've hosed up

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

So...Lots of people in thread had no idea this game existed, or, if they did, hadn't played it. Anyone in that category want to weigh in on thoughts so far?

I saw the series years ago and knew about the game, but I only saw the fantastic intro cinematic and stopped there for some reason. I never gave much thought to it until I saw this LP going on. It was good timing for when you started this too, I had just finished a rewatch of the series and having a new perspective on it made me like it even more, giving me a push to look into extra Utena content.

I don't have much experience with dating sims, but it seems like a mostly normal tie-in thing for a 90s anime so far? I'm really, annoyingly biased towards the show, the original crew not being involved has me checking my expectations a bit, but it feels wrong to criticize this mostly harmless fanservice thing too hard. Other than that....idk it's too early to say. This makes me think of the Serial Experiments Lain game a little in the weird amount of effort they gave to this. Original VA's and all. Maybe there'll be some surprises with where this goes?

Flac fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 18, 2018

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Confront him. He should try placing himself in Chu Chu's position sometime, maybe then he wouldn't think it's so funny. Or maybe we're past that episode?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Yes, but that means it's set before Saionji's expulsion in Episode 9, plus the curry thing in Episode 8 is referenced as having already happened, so that means between 8 and 9.

Half of me is excitedly hoping for this game to try and explain how things went back to normal after the curry business in this game

But the other half knows that's never gonna happen, because this is Utena

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

detective

is it too much of a spoiler to ask if there are bad ends that happen earlier on than the "normal" good endings or the best ending? in which you screwed up so bad you won't even be seeing the climax because you died or something, i mean.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

1) Juri
2) Juri again Miki

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Counterpoint: Shiori.

(Who isn't actually in the game, because the game is set before Shiori transferred back to Ohtori, but her shadow is definitely over every scene Jury is in.)

Can Jury truly love anyone else while her heart is still in the chains of that locket?

...Anyway, thread, I do have a question. Day 2 has a lot more choices than Day 1.

Would you mind shorter, more frequent updates? And by shorter I mean "two-three minutes of gameplay" short.

Or would you rather I just go by the mood of the thread (like you all clearly want to get into Jury's pants, are fondly-disposed to Utena and Miki, interested in ???, and hostile to Touga and Saionji) for minor votes and just let you make major ones?

This isn't a vote. I'm trying to feel out your thoughts/open to suggestions.

makes sense that shiori's not appearing at this point in the series timeline, but she's my favorite non-duelist character and i want to see more of her :smith:

and yeah i trust you with taking the reins for minor choices too. i don't want that kind of responsibility anymore

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

But not putting in any effort is exactly how dad came to name her!! He forgot how japanese names worked for god's sake

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'd like to see Touga's route at some point just because I'm curious to see what Nanami does.

i didnt even think about that. please don't tempt me to vote touga just for this

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

I can't remember if I love the english dub of Utena or not (aside from being distracted by all the pokemon voice actors), but I do remember thinking that the dub for the movie was good. I don't know what the difference was; they kept the same cast IIRC, so maybe director?

From what I've read, Ikuhara had a more direct, supervisory role in how the English dub for the movie came out. I don't see much difference between the show and movie's English VA personally since the actors are the same in both, and are mostly not that good in both, but maybe that's why you liked it for the movie?

I wish there was more details about his role in working with American voice actors, I doubt there's much to tell but it's interesting to me that he went that far to shape how English speaking audiences would perceive the film, even in some small way. If there's examples of other anime directors doing more than leaving it up to the ADR director, I haven't heard of them.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Gluten Freeman posted:

actually it's way better than just some localisation director, the guy they sent the katana to was Harvey Weinstein

oh lol i forgot about this. i think it was mononoke that the katana was sent for though, which is even more impressive that they followed through with no cuts

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

a + 18

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

^she reminds me of him too. Our dad being a teacher at the school before while Chigusa's like, 3 years older than us is really suspicious. Assuming they met at Ohtori because every major thing happens there.

Oh and Patter if you're still taking requests for ways to pad out the next update, please do a text dump or something on Nanami. I've been holding my breath hoping she'll appear in this game this whole time. I need some air.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

We'll be talking about her later, no rush for now.

look i can't help but judge how worth my time anything ever made is by the metric of "is nanami in this*?" but i GUESS i'll endure.

*and not a cow for most of it

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Leraika posted:

Nanami got the best song in the musical, too.

i got around to watching the whole thing and you're 100% right. i wish she had a bigger role but...i don't even know where to start with how great this bit is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdugBR7kGLc

well ok that being said its so hard to choose a best part between saionji being even more of a sad joke, or juri's "hello ladies" brooding. or anthy.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

my heart says fencing club but im gonna vote newspaper club. i WILL shoot ourself in the foot, in this game thats supposedly really easy to walk into a bad end, to know unimportant geek rear end details like what does journalism even look like at ohtori??

speaking of knowing unimportant geek rear end details: the cooking club is probably more like a home ec class. and i know there's a pool in the show too, in kozue's ep.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

here's the full bonus comic if anyone's interested, because the utena gallery IS a spoiler zone if you're not careful

anybody know what mikage's nametag/book he wears around his neck says in the intro cinematic? something memo?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Princey posted:

I have very little idea what that says, but I have to say that the progression over the last two pages of Utena and Anthy approaching the gay event horizon only to interrupt for some sort of comment about UFOs followed by something lovely happening to Nanami is the most Utena thing.

That's Wakaba, but it still checks out since another part of RGU's agenda is making onions cry now and then

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

We need like 100 more heart rose things with Juri to even think about talking about that locket, so let's just start with asking why does she fight

Also cheesy as the scene is, it's kinda nice to know Juri can take a shower without making it angsty and sad for once

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

So...why would Jury refuse to duel Chigusa?

Because there's only room at Ohtori for one fencing hall, and one captain of it? That's the best I got

e: misread the question a little, I meant that this is why she'd want to duel her but can't bc that's personal feelings

Flac fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 10, 2018

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

gegi posted:

Alas I found this thread far too late to mount a futile curiosity campaign for Saionji's route. Though I don't want the protagonist to date him, I'm curious what they did with him. Some in-depth Utena discussion currently going on elsewhere has managed to kindle some vague sympathy for him. He's terrible, of course, but Ohtori is not helping him at all.

Can't imagine that a brief flirtation with Patter Song would be much help for his issues though.

i can't help but pity saionji these days. he never had real friends and he barely affects anyone or anything throughout the show. he has a genuine want for love somewhere in there and it makes his possessive, bratty lashing out so pathetic to watch now. the fact that he's like, entry level evil boy for a school where i can easily name a few others who do much, much, much worse certainly helps the case that he could use a change of environment.

speaking of, enjoy this cool pic of him i found on the gallery

e: asking because i do not want to be stuck doing cutesy euphemisms about this: are we allowed to be a little more honest for what the anime deals with, as far as what counts as spoilers? i don't want to sound overzealous here but when i first watched, the internet widely told me to expect "cute, gay, weird" and like, nothing else. i was unprepared and felt pretty bitter about being misled for years. ignoring or sugarcoating the incest and grooming and rape is a huge mistake when all signs pointing to it being crucial to the story, and it's attacked for what it is more forcefully than most stories out there imo. i don't want people going in to have that same experience.

Flac fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 14, 2018

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I'm not sugarcoating the experience: the show deals with themes of incest and sexual abuse, and comes down very harshly on both elements (though it has a surprisingly nuanced and sophisticated analysis the effects and links between the two). I've just been trying to deal with the things the game threw at me. If you all had picked Miki rather than Jury a while back, we'd be having a very different conversation: that Fencing Club thing could've led to this conversation.

In which the Protagonist meets Miki's sister Kozue and there is immediate and deeply unsettling sexual jealousy and tension between the twins that the Protagonist is completely out of her depth dealing with. We chose differently, so we're going to need to have chats on Jury's themes. Don't worry (or, rather, do worry), as Anthy and Akio's sibling relationship is an unavoidable element of the game and I promise I will talk about it when we reach it.

PS: general hint to the thread: just because you're voting for Jury now doesn't mean that you need to vote for Jury for literally every single choice option going forward. If you want to, you can...but picking Jury every time means you're not seeing a lot of what this game has to offer in terms of its plot, and Jury's pretty far removed from some of the series' themes.

oh no i didn't mean to say you were sugarcoating! and i understand not bringing it up in relation to the game when it's only been lighthearted so far. i meant more when talking about what the show goes into. half of me doesn't want to spoil things but the other half wonders if other people reading the thread who haven't watched or are currently watching the show don't have a great idea about where it will go, as a show about incest and abuse and how inextricable from gender they are. like i did.

Flac fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 15, 2018

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Is the protag seriously considering the BF/GF coin flip that went so well the last time? And now on someone who wants to shank us?? The third choice had to come from this girl's last living brain cell, cause it would be better to get info on Chigusa however we can. Ask about her illness and stay together.

Shiori's one of my favorites in this show, so difficult to pin down why she's cruel and abusive and yet the challenge of her being both ambiguous and unsympathetic is what makes her feel real. There is so soooo much to say about her and Juri and I'll never buy the "Juri good Shiori bad" conclusion people tend to make about them, it's too easy for RGU. Though to be fair she IS pretty wretched, and I understand where people who have personal experience with how she behaves are coming from when they don't want to engage with her character too much.

e: Hold on was the boy Shiori "stole" from Juri NOT Ruka?? I always thought they were the same person

Flac fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 16, 2018

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

^^^ Nanami went to India and a cow farm that looked pretty far from Houou, so yeah it happens now and then. There's a few parts where characters go into the town too, like Wakaba I think? Does the parts with Akio's car count?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I think that handful of times we see characters outside the school in the series, or even how occasionally students transfer from the school AND come back for reasons that're normal on paper, are intentional for showing Ohtori as this overwhelming, inescapable presence, and not in a literal magic cursed prison sense. You could technically leave if you wanted to, but it won't mean anything when the school has taught everybody in the show what unattainable ideals they should strive for. And it allows, even paradoxically rewards, cynicism taking hold in people when they try and fail to live up to the ideal. Even the ones who leave and come back do so out of insecurity of not really getting what they want, or as a misguided attempt to fix the system. It's less like no one can leave Ohtori, and more that Ohtori can never leave any of them.

Flac fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 18, 2018

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

well ok chigusa sorry for trying to NOT piss you off. so much for that.

[Intelligence 0/1] <Lie> I don't have a special someone and game on gamers

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

wait

this game, some updates ago posted:

Utena: Oh, yeah? After school today, we were going to go into town to do a little shopping...you wanna come with? There's this cafe called "Magnolia" where they make this really delicious rose tea.

.....can i change my vote

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Sure. You changing from game center to cafe?

Sorry for go back on this but....nah forget it. I want to know which student council member is a gamer much much more (assuming the 5 places correspond to the 5 romance-able characters we have). Brought it up in the hope that vying for Utena's love & protection would fend off Chigusa's vengeance somehow later, but I might be overthinking this dating sim ahead of time. And we'll probably see plenty of her.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

this...is a weapons-grade utena image and that's saying something. i love this game. hope juri massacres the competition at evo in canon.

and wow kozue, really shocked to hear that you aren't picky as long as they're dangerous and/or powerful. i never would've guessed that in a million years.

e: forgot to vote NO

Flac fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 26, 2018

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

megane posted:

The "non-elite" uniforms at Ohtori really are ridiculously ugly. No wonder everyone wants to be a duelist, you get to wear white instead of Dental Assistant Green.

Feel like this is what people forget when they ask why Utena's uniform isn't the same color as the rest of the boys. Imagine seeing that on your protagonist for the entire show.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I still have NO idea whether it's getting Chigusa to love us or hate us that affects how much hearts she steals goddammit

Let's hear it for a Touga upset!!! If his sister comes along it will be worth it. He stays outside though

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Utena is strong has the best intentions out of three complete lies, at least. And then let's do the midnight meetup with Utena.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I've been away from this thread for too long, and look what happens...if only I came in time to help Miki rebound with my one single vote for him

I know this thread hasn't been hot on Saionji til now? (understandable though for me he's not even the worst person we have the option to date) but the one time so far that I wish we chose him, thinking about it now, was when Wakaba was doing the wingman "ask me for love advice" thing. Curious about that in the same way someone would be curious about wanting to see what a dead body looks like.

Flac fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 6, 2019

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I've tried emulating this myself, and I found that SSF works and hasn't been as bad to me as others made it out to be, unless it gets worse further down the line in anyone else's experience? Bizhawk may be more stable but it is WAY more CPU intensive than I was ready for. I'll take a couple inexplicable crashes over the game running at half speed the whole way through.

I'm also too busy right now to do anything with this game, but thanks for letting us know an update's in the works Patter :)

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJUZpOij4a4

it could've been this one? i can understand being frustrated, having this ending to emotionally tie things up in the series get followed up by This is COOL Video Game. sends a message that the story continues for all the fans out there, wink, even though the game itself doesn't really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

i'm so so happy that nanami's a fellow leo! this is my favorite and only cat-related fact about her!!!

miki because we love a boy who exists :swoon: