Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Isn't it amazing how a single event can cause you to instantly lose respect for two different people, for entirely different reasons?

Him, because seriously, casual violence against a woman? Misogny much?

Her, because way to be a carpet. Seriously, you just described yourself as an object to be won, and that you're okay with that. Have some self-respect, Christ.

Intervene, but only because he needs an rear end beating himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, so I went ahead an watched the first episode on youtube.

Let me see if I understand the plot of this trainwreck.

- Our hero/ine Utena lost her parents as a young child.
- Some dude ("A Prince") visited her an consoled her. He told her to be strong and gave her MacGuffinSpecial Ring. The show offers the interpretation that this ring is an Engagement Ring, but-
- Utena's reaction to dude riding in on a White Horse to Sweep Her Off Her Feet was "That's awesome, I wanna be a Prince!" Insert Irony Horns here.
- Fast forward to inexplicably Magical Middle/High School. This is Utena's second year. She insists on wearing a boy's uniform, which confuses her teachers. She has a friend that refers to her as "Her Boyfriend". Okay.
- Today is also the first day of the game! We get to see events play out after Saionji smacks the crap out of Anthy.

It occurs to me that despite my having never played this game, that talking about the remainder of episode one may spoil events in the LP, so I'll cut it there. Suffice to say that I understand the show and some of these characters better now, and am doubling down on Saionji and Anthy both being awful, yikes. Based on his comment at the end of Episode One I'm further going to add Touga to the list of Skeevy Fucks Yikes.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Not only that, it literally uses the clip from episode 1 (albeit in blurry 240p in a notable degradation of image quality). It comes to mind that if this game came out literally one year later on the Dreamcast, it could perfectly match the image quality of the series in addition to the way it already matches its audio quality.

Won't comment on the rest of your comments, but this isn't accurate. This game is set after episode 8. Saionji is just slapping Anthy again. Just like Utena's first day of school involves watching Anthy get beaten by Saionji, Our Protagonist needs to witness the same.

Like I said, I'm going to do character profiles of all the main characters when they're officially introduced, and next time, that includes Saionji, Anthy, and Utena, so I will get into my thoughts about them at that point. I will also do my best to avoid ruining the viewing experience.

For now, suffice to say that every (literally every) character in the series has more going on than they appear to, and this goes double for Anthy.

Well okay then! I'll refrain from further commentary though, since I don't know what's a spoiler and what isn't.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dallbun posted:

Depends on whether you're more tolerant of Juri's or Miki's particular brands of shittiness.

Given full freedom of options, I would hang out exclusively with Wakaba, but alas.

Wakaba is best girl. A shame.

I'm five episodes in. Why do school animes have to have a jealous little sister character? Ugh.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Trying not to start a Dubs/Subs argument, but only the first few episodes are dubbed and that makes me sad, the voice work on the dub is pretty good. Nanami's voice is p great.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
It's never not time for jokes!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Juri's a sniper.

Saionji has a bazooka.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well done thread. You all voted to have Patter run to Saionji to solve her problems and the latop commited suicide in response.

I hope you're all happy.

Glad to see this is still going, looking forward to the next installment.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Juri

The Saionji Poor Life Choices crew must not succeed.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Did you finish watching the series? If so, what did you think? Feel free to make use of spoiler bars.

To my shame, no. I got through the dubbed episodes and then the remainder were subbed only and... I didn't go further. Just not a fan of subs.

I'll get over it and finish eventually.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

You can watch the subs, or you can find the dub elsewhere. Either way. I understand if you made it to ep 20 out of 39 not wanting to suddenly change voice casts.

Huh. Thought it was only dubbed up to episode 4 or 5 on youtube. I'll have to take another look.

T-man posted:

Juri also watch the subs nerd

High pitched breathy anime voice gets on my nerves. That particular aspect of anime is the real problem here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdWr5YCoRGM

Seems like they uploaded 5-20 dubbed relatively recently: ep 4 dubbed had 36k views while ep 5 only has 2k views.

Well hell, thanks for checking.