Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Save Anthy and make Saionji's life as hellish as possible

I first remember hearing about Utena years ago at an anime club I used to go to (hey, it was a different time, and everything was fansubbed on VHS). One member described the cast as "They're all trisexual, as in they will try anything sexual". After watching the whole series later on... Not QUITE accurate, but it's definitely close.

Definitely a good series worth watching through at least once though. What was up with the shadow play girls though? Was that ever actually said or even implied who/what they were outside of the final movie? Spoilers for something that I don't know if it would be a spoiler for the game or even the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Patter Song posted:

It's not a spoiler to say that every single episode of Utena has color commentary from a pair/trio of Shadow Girls, giving their views as to the morals of the episode, shedding light on deeper meaning, or just being weird and hilarious. As this game is structured like several episodes worth of Utena, yes, we will be seeing them, and yes, they will have thoughts on the events of the game.

As for who they are in the series...they are the Shadow Girls! A-Ko, B-Ko, and C-Ko (Girl A, Girl B, and Girl C) are characters with their own arcs that you can follow through the series and distinct personalities (especially C-Ko, who is far stranger than the other two). They're here to lend their helpful color commentary.

Also, you do see them in human form in the show.

Do the people Utena is talking to look familiar?

Oh okay. I knew they showed up as students at least once in the show proper (and I think they're background characters in large crowds as well, or at least people with similar hair), but considering how... metaphorical? allegorical? things get later on in the series, I didn't know if there was anything deeper than the "greek chorus" aspect that I just missed.

I always did like the way that Utena was handled as a franchise, it has a very fairy-tale-esue aspect to it, in that the four versions of the story (manga, anime, movie, manga of the movie) are all similar, but different re-tellings of the same story.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Boyfriend because, eh, why not.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Isnt Nanami also a complete psychopath?

Crack a joke. Maybe the weirdos will leave us alone if we make fun of their crazy sword cult.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Flac posted:

Yeah I recently rewatched and it was actually better the second time for me. Other non-show versions of Utena range from kind of interesting if disappointing in some aspects (the movie) to just offensively missing the point (the manga), but this game is....definitely something. I really want to see where this goes, just because the production values are higher than I'd have expected.

The manga was first, so can it miss the point to start with? The anime seemed like it was going in the same direction at first (end of the first season) before doing the Black Rose arc and suddenly veering onto a different course. But I kinda like that, it makes each version worth checking out just to see how different the stories end up fro the same starting point.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Alternatively, just a giant mecha piloted by Juri, Miki, Saionji, and Touga to defeat Utena.

Considering how the movie ended (and how the tail end of the anime involved attacking with cars, now that I think about it), I wouldn't dismiss this as a joke right away.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While Miki and Kozue have an... unhealthy relationship, Miki at least is attracted to girls that aren't his sister. He loves Kozue, but as a sibling. Kozue, on the other hand, LOVES Miki, and wants to feel him wrapped around her, and inside of her, and wants to eat his organs and wear his skin like a suit so that they can be together always. Also, she actively tries to sleep with everything with two legs and a dick. She's 13.:cry:

Interestingly enough, I don't remember any of the "siblings" being in the original manga, just in the anime. I THINK Miki makes a reference to having a sister at one point, but that's it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sleep alone, because we don't deserve to sleep with anyone after that bad joke, even if it only happened in an alternate timeline.

Also, because we don't know how possessive people are about other people yet, and sleeping with anyone at this point may result in organs being perforated by sharp objects.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly, I would be fine with just seeing one character's route (plus an alternate one for the all-joke route) if you don't want to show all the routes. Less-frequent but more content updates are better than daily 3 paragraph microupdates, imo.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mom and let's see if senpai will notice us... not the creepy blue-haired lady that wants to murder us and is REALLY bad at hiding that she met Patter already, I meant Juri.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

After seeing that cover/film, I don't blame Miyazaki for sending katanas to people wanting to localize his work. Comically missing the point doesnt begin to describe it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We ate the food? Doesn't that lock us into the ending where, on the final day, our character dies shortly before the final revelations that tie the plot together from the poison in the food?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Patter Song posted:

So...why would Jury refuse to duel Chigusa?

Because she already agreed to spar with Patter Song

Because Chigusa is only recently recovered from illness

Because Juri blames her for her crush turning into a manipulative bitch,

Because after starting to lose, Chigusa would turn into a giant Chigusa-bot and we haven't even started to find the parts of the Akio mech?

Chigusa would be about Jury's age (assuming we take her story at face value) right? She's in the same year as Patter Song because she missed several years of school?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We are interested in Juri, Anthy, please stop trying to poison us and Hit up the arcade

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

No, we're good at not getting into conflicts. After all, who needs a prince when you have... uh... WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE *runs away*

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Could be Mortal Kombat as well. I mean, probably not, but it does have a gold-haired woman, ninjas and a block button.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As much fun as the thought of Anthy poisoning Saionji is, she was his bride prior, so is probably used to her cooking. Not to mention we were told campus staff made the food, so let's see if Jury wishes to partake in our humble feast.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pure dumb luck that Utena won and NO ONE WAS INJURED BY THE FALLING SWORD. Also, we should meet Chigusa lest we incur the witch's wrath. She is a witch, right? With her manipulation powers? Let's not piss off the witch.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Slide because she's liable to maim us if we try to avoid her. I can see her deliberately kicking the ball into us, or "accidentally" kicking us instead of the ball, or plowing into us, or suddenly pulling a knife and shaking us, or...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Saionji because you know it's going to be nothing but ruins when we return with a witness.