Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I haven't seen Utena in ages. All I can remember is Nanami, and tbh that's probably the best thing to remember.

The cow episode. The egg. "Operation Anthy is a complete weirdo who hides snails in her pencil case". Nanami is the best.

Let's not avoid the main ambition of the show.

Pursue the power to revolutionize the world

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Leraika posted:

Honestly, she's probably the sanest person in the series, poor thing.

If you ignore her thirst for her own brother.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It was an innocent time before game developers had truly began to hammer the profitability of anime tiddy.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mathwyn posted:

Chalk me down as another person decided to watch all of Utena due to this thread. It holds up really drat well!

I also had a mild fever while doing so, which I think is the perfect state of mind to appreciate the show. :v:

Once you're clear of fever I'll remind you that the cowbell episode did in fact happen, as did Nanami's egg arc.

Camel Pimp posted:

...i still can't believe that's what we considered sexy in the 90's.

My vote goes for still considering it sexy now.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Patter Song posted:

you're thinking of eye-candy in relation to Utena

Just the opposite. What I was trying to say is that the intent of this dating sim is probably a lot less skeevy than what you'd get today.

It was a more innocent time where people hadn't quite brought the image of a sexualised anime girl into the mainstream. At least that's the impression I get of the current market when browsing Steam. I'm looking to view Utena as not just ahead of its time, but perhaps as ahead of today's market. I'm not presenting this as a thoroughly thought out academic argument. It was all just for a cheap quip.

So to put it in other words:

"lol the VNs I come across today suck compared to this."

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That's a good point. Utena is so action packed I forget that it's technically shoujo.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is Song your given name and Patter your family name?

I can't remember if Japanese is one of the cultures where they put the family name first and the given name second, let alone knowing whether they've programmed this game accordingly.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 8, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game seems to be occasionally cruel in how it interprets your inputs.

I'd like to refuse the compliment if the game would chew that as playing hard to get.

He just doesn't strike me as one I'd want to be with as a significant lesser in the relationship.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 17, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah I'm going to vote Reject

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I loved the anime, never seen this game.

I just wonder how deep you can get into the whole dueling rabbit hole and magical goings on given the limited timescale the game offers.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Let's cause a scene!

Confront him directly.

Not causing a scene would be sensible IRL, but doing things that are sensible IRL in video games isn't fun for very long.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not the smartest of people, and I love it. It means I get to watch TV and anime as they were intended instead of being a smartypants who works it out before the reveal. Jury is one such case where I hadn't worked it out beforehand, and I fell for the fakeout hook line and sinker. It was amazing and I was crushed.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
From the start I wanted us to show some ambition!

Let's do the detective work

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Let's sleep with utena because if hopping in someone's bed is the done thing in this game, then sleeping alone leaves it up to chance who hops in ours.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think we could resolve one of the tragedies in this story if we become Juri's girlfriend. The other options seem to offer no significance to our character.

1. Jury
2. no one

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd like to see Touga's route at some point just because I'm curious to see what Nanami does.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In the world of Utena, I doubt the wife got a say.

It was your father

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I feel like the way the thread has been going in terms of length isn't broken so it doesn't need fixing. That's my thought on shorter vs longer.

As for not having a vote every few panels, I wouldn't mind if you made this run one where we're following Juri's line as much as we can, being friendly to Utena and Miki while being hostile to Saionji and Touga. If you want to give us all the votes on Chigusa then do that and I'll let you know if it works or not.

Chigusa isn't wearing school uniform. Is she headed for the student council?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can imagine a US edit stopping at episode 11 and then finding a way to edit a thing where Utena and Touga kiss. The end.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You could play some of the duels from the later episodes as though they were before Touga if you really need to stretch it out.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
One thing I did hear about Utena is that Ikuhara was adamant about using guns for the duels instead of swords, because there are more variants and more interesting poses they could use where swords are difficult to work with. They only decided against it because there was a high profile shooting before production started. It's always going to bug me wondering how that would have been.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 28, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
See what I mean by how it's always going to bug me wondering how this'd be?

I can't imagine Nanami as anything other than dual wielding uzzis.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A+18

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Perhaps you could speculate on what it'd be like to attend Ohtori academy as someone not directly involved in the dueling? While there's a lot that could be said of what happens in the show, the events of the student council and Utena are not something Song-san has experienced firsthand like we the viewers may have through the lens of the show and/or the manga. How much would we know? Maybe we could immerse ourselves in what school would look like from the protagonist's point of view for a while.

Would we have seen Nanami from a distance sporting some unusual neckwear? Would we have seen crowds gathered around Touga? Would people around us have told us how they speak to Touga on the phone at night? If we could think about what we've heard about Juri up to this point, maybe we could figure out what our deal is with her. While we the viewers know a lot about who Shiori was before she left, what would Song-san know about Juri?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd hate to be the one to make it weird but I wonder if her collar represents some kind of relationship she has with another. If Ikuhara made this design I'd be certain that the collar wasn't just a fashion accessory, but in the game I have no idea.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you look really closely at the envelopes in the final episode one is made out to Patter Song.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I thought Ruka looked good but being a totally irredeemable rear end in a top hat even by "man in Utena" standards is very unattractive.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of this character.

She Doesn't trust Chigusa.
She does have fencing in her family heritage, but her rear end in a top hat dad said "women don't need to be strong".
We've kinda established that she has a crush on Juri.

I'd say a young girl in this situation would be daydreaming about showing up Chigusa in a duel, which would impress Juri and be a gently caress you to her dad.

Fencing Club

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm still trying to look through the character's eyes here. It's easy to assume Jury would fight because it's her sport, but maybe Song-San isn't so presumptuous. Either way the locket she just saw would be a real question mark, and to me it comes down to whether or not Song-San would be able to contain her curiosity.

Judging by the direction of her gaze in that picture I'm going to say her curiosity wins out over decorum in the end.

The locket

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can see Patter being in a small panic here. She needs better gym clothes so she can do better swordfights and make a better impression on Juri and if she doesn't get the shorts then she can't best Chigusa in a duel and Juri won't love her and maybe dad is right :gonk:.

She has one powerful mental image pushing her ambition here: naked Juri. It's all at stake, though. In dark times like this Ohtori's most ambitious will start to have dark thoughts. For this to work Patter Song doesn't just need gym shorts. For this to work she needs an advantage.

Ask about Chigusa's illness
Stay to hear any more useful info

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 17, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Jury Because who else would she invite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021