Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

this is a thread for talking about bravely default and also bravely second.

i finally started playing this after octopath got me thinking about it. it's really good. the job system is extremely ftw and i'm looking forward to unlocking more new jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
The ability to control your random encounter rate in the options is such an awesome feature.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
I liked the gameplay but I stopped playing it because there was too much pedophilia in it, there was some old guy who loved getting horny about naked children and it kept coming up over and over. Hopefully OCtopath Traveler doesnt have that.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The job combinations are better/stronger in the first game but Second has one of the best OSTs in gaming. Enjoy!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im playing this now and just finished chapter 4 :)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Skylark posted:

I liked the gameplay but I stopped playing it because there was too much pedophilia in it, there was some old guy who loved getting horny about naked children and it kept coming up over and over. Hopefully OCtopath Traveler doesnt have that.

japan_games.txt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skylark posted:

Bravely Default does keep coming back to awful womanizing characters, and it's the worst thing about the game, and peaks around chapter 2. However, this aspect is reduced almost to nothing in Bravely Second, which also fixes the second-worst thing about its predecessor, and is nearly my favorite JRPG as a result.

Octopath Traveler is just sexist, not horny.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Skylark posted:

Octopath Traveler has a hunter who talks like DemoniusX.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

“I’ve got two words for you. suck it” -H’aanit, Blade of the Wildwood Forest

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They should release the first two games on the Switch along with a sequel.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Octopath Traveler has a hunter who talks like DemoniusX.

b_d posted:

“I’ve got two words for you. suck it” -H’aanit, Blade of the Wildwood Forest

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

They should release the first two games on the Switch along with a sequel.

There is SOME sort of Bravely project coming to Switch that is apparently a new title. My hope is a port of the first two is coming along with it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

shove me like you do posted:

The ability to control your random encounter rate in the options is such an awesome feature.

it's pretty much the best thing and every time a jrpg clwoth random encounters comes out I judge them harshly for not having it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

its a pretty big thing that cant just be thrown in, it means theres no tension to any dungeon if youre willing to just turn off encounters and walk up to a boss lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

double encounters for ez grinding should be an easy decision to add tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

its a pretty big thing that cant just be thrown in, it means theres no tension to any dungeon if youre willing to just turn off encounters and walk up to a boss lol

I did this for about 25 hours of ffviii bc i didnt like the combat and everything scaled to your level so I just put on enc-none and watched the rest of the game.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

sounds good to me, I'd just leave encounters on normal and just fight stuff normally and turn them off when the fights stopped giving decent xp and when that happened I was at a good level to fight the boss

also means when I get less annoyed when I accidentally pick the right pathway through a dungeon floor I can just turn off encounters and back track to see if that other path had any chests without getting bothered by trash mobs

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

may as well just save you time and have every game include full hp and mp heal after every fight, since you couldve turned off encounters and walked back to town at any time

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds good fam 👍👍👍

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

may as well just save you time and have every game include full hp and mp heal after every fight, since you couldve turned off encounters and walked back to town at any time

Pretty ironic coming from a guy with a lightning av...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

i had that in mind lol

all of this is fine if the game is designed for it, ff13 expects you to use everything to its fullest in each encounter and beat them as fast as possible, not plan out for an entire dungeon as most jrpgs do

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I did this for about 25 hours of ffviii bc i didnt like the combat and everything scaled to your level so I just put on enc-none and watched the rest of the game.

the ps4 has ff7 and ff9 but not 8, wonder why.....

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

elf help book posted:

That's basically Romancing SaGa and it works there since the random encounters can still gently caress you up and you have limited lives.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

What town are you walking back to in FFXIII

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lightning is her own village

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's cool when games give you the tools needed to alter them into a shape of your own choosing, even if that means trusting the player with the power to wreck the delicate balance.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Changing encounter rates is cool but the battle speed options are the real star of the series

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

In Training posted:

I forget what gf gives you that option but it is a godsend. Ffviii being just bosses and card games is perfect

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Changing difficulty and encounter rate on the fly is an extremely win feature. Octopath doesn't have a difficulty setting but idgi why one of the very few support skills is 'reduce encounter rate' when you can just tuck that in a menu and have an actually interesting combat skill instead

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Changing difficulty and encounter rate on the fly is an extremely win feature. Octopath doesn't have a difficulty setting but idgi why one of the very few support skills is 'reduce encounter rate' when you can just tuck that in a menu and have an actually interesting combat skill instead

bravely default has a heighten encounter rate skill despite it already being a menu option, who knows

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's good Lore, depending on the class that learns it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

i had that in mind lol

all of this is fine if the game is designed for it, ff13 expects you to use everything to its fullest in each encounter and beat them as fast as possible, not plan out for an entire dungeon as most jrpgs do

Ff13 is probably my favorite jrpg since I'm a random encounter hater

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Ff13 is probably my favorite jrpg since I'm a random encounter hater

i like that ff13 allows you to restart a fight if you die, and they left that in ff13-2 but since fights in that are random encounters in that, it just dumps you back outside of battle with no enemy nearby like if you ran away lol

the coolest thing about that in 13-2 is if you die and restart a boss battle, it skips cutscenes prebattle, but brings you to menu so you can adjust your party right before the fight. bravely default dearly needed this feature, considering thats all about trying different party set ups and weird strategies that may fall apart or win you the fight in 2 turns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

i like that ff13 allows you to restart a fight if you die, and they left that in ff13-2 but since fights in that are random encounters in that, it just dumps you back outside of battle with no enemy nearby like if you ran away lol

the coolest thing about that in 13-2 is if you die and restart a boss battle, it skips cutscenes prebattle, but brings you to menu so you can adjust your party right before the fight. bravely default dearly needed this feature, considering thats all about trying different party set ups and weird strategies that may fall apart or win you the fight in 2 turns

yeah i didnt like ff13-2 nearly as much as the first game but those were cool features

• Locked thread