Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
Flash back to 2017 I was determined to find a 560SEL for under 2k, so in my craiglist scours I came across a 1993 190e. I contacted the owner and he told me that hes selling it because the clear coat is all jacked up. Being a car dude and having a lot of help from AI i know what to look for when buying used cars, and I knew that the clear coat destroyed from the car not moving for more than one winter. I asked him if he was firm on his asking price and to my surprise I got a swift e-mail response of something that went like "Who do you think you are asking about the price when you don't have the decency to come look at the car" at this point it knew he was scamming me. So I bought a Buick that summer for a daily driver so I could do the clutch in my Saab.

Rainy day, don't wanna go out, dog at all the kibble, need dog food, drive to supermarket that specifically sells grain free dog food.

Get into my car to leave and I see a red 190e with the clear coat all jacked up pull into the parking lot.
I start talking to the owner, and I asked if he got it up north and we exchange stories about the previous owner. I feel bad for him, and tell him I have tools and a small garage if hes local and ever needs a hand. We exchange numbers and about a week later I get a phone call asking if I wanted to buy car for half of what he paid. I agree and he felt so guilty he took another $150 of the car.

and.. this is what it looks like now
[/url]

Whats bad:
Neutral safety switch
3 out of 4 window regulators
Oil pressure sender
Head gasket
Cooling fan wiring
Front anti-roll bar
Front shocks

What facebook mechanic passed this car for inspection

The interior and under the car are in really good condition

My friend said he paid $300 for this battery

Common problem with 190's rust under the battery is pretty normal, but on this car it sits so close to the strut tower wall that it can (and does in most cases) eat through it making the car dangerous to drive

Eventually I would like to write a full write up on how to do the head gasket. The guide that online is okay but I had to look up a lot of torque specs at campus on alldata

There are also a few steps missing from the online guide, and they tell you to buy a socket that doesn't exist
For anyone trying to attempt this without the full write up I would recommend buying the fan holder special tool, and the longer head bolt socket so you don't have to take the valves off. Another trick is to zip tie the timing chain to the cog, this is the 2nd time im taking the head off. I changed the head gasket real quick over the winter but the cheap ebay gasket was defective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This looks awesome.

Who needs a front sway bar?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Drop a m103 3.0 or m104 300ce-24 ~89-92 mill in it.

Grab the brakes from a 93-95 W124 e320/e420.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
Rainy day, Girlfriend still asleep, sneak out to the garage

Sprained my finger pretty bad so I had to teak a break for a few days

I woke up today thinking about that battery tray.

After soaking the bolts there, I moved on to some good stuff

Now you don't actually have to remove this, but I like to have it out of the way. Its a 10mm bolt and a 5mm hex

Gross inside of the water pump. An additional note here is that to service the water pump you have to go though a lot of the steps associated with head gasket so its better to take a day longer and at least inspect it.

Here is what I mentioned before about the special tool fan holder. You can get these for about $10 off ebay. You can use a hex key but trust me they break off, and strap wrenches work but you'll need a buddy. I can't stress how helpful this tool is, especially with re-installation I try and take my time here the fan is really flimsy and i'm sure its costs a lot from MB

Mercedes Benz used 5 different ways route the serpentine belt on the 190e 2.6 motors I have the PDF files somewhere on a flash drive, i'm going to make it a short post today because my finger is still swollen, and i'm not feeling lucky. Next is one of the hardest bolts to remove.. the EGR that sits directly behind the manifold

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Ooooooh 190e.

Top tips from my time with one: if you have the plastic thermostat cover, they will age, crack at the corners, and fail to keep pressure. The M-B replacement part is aluminium and is good.

If it's being a turd to start, taking a few tries each time to get going, replace or clean the injectors.

Sorry if you already knew this stuff ^ :)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We're currently $300 into a running, driving e30 coupe lmao

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Nice car, 190s are a great blend of comfort, driving dynamics and oldschool mercedes reliability.

cursedshitbox posted:

Drop a m103 3.0 in it.

Do this, an EFI conversion and turbo it!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love 190s, as long as they're not eaten by rust, they'll run basically forever.

My parents have had two. The first was a 1986 2.0 diesel (72hp, 4spd manual), bought at 650.000km and sold at 850.000km. Good car, but holy poo poo soooo slooooow, 160kph if you really beat on it and had a big-rear end empty highway. The second was a 1988 2.5 turbodiesel (122hp, 4spd automatic), which was one hell of a ride. It had the super-fancy pneumatic driver's seat and everything. I'm still a little annoyed that they sold it and replaced it with a real turd of a 1996 C250D (non-turbo).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KozmoNaut posted:

My parents have had two.

Me, too. They bought a new '86 5-speed, then later grabbed a kinda basket case 2.3-16 that was a fun tractor to drive (honestly, the mechanicals of that car felt like driving a fast tractor). Dad went on to get an '89 560SEC and that car was so fun back then.

Nice cars that seem to characterize the '80s and early '90s.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Sorry its been weeks since my last post, that's how much I hate this EGR bolt
To get this access you need to jack up the exhaust and pry something in between the manifold and cylinder head

Your hand and wrench are going to be behind the manifold, like a cage. Take your time!! if you feel the head stripping take a break and get some rubber or paper whatever you prefer and try and jam it in the head with the socket so it wont strip out. and they will strip out. I like to live dangerously so I reused this last time but I wouldn't recommend using it again.

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 5, 2018

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

You can use one of the valve cover bolts to take out the pin that holds the chain rail on. Idk why they make these things out of plastic...

There is excessive play on the right side but that explains why it was so loud the timing its probably off

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 23, 2018

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

meltie posted:

Ooooooh 190e.

Top tips from my time with one: if you have the plastic thermostat cover, they will age, crack at the corners, and fail to keep pressure. The M-B replacement part is aluminium and is good.

If it's being a turd to start, taking a few tries each time to get going, replace or clean the injectors.

Sorry if you already knew this stuff ^ :)

Ill keep that in mind, that's interesting you say that because the head gasket kits I get come with a thermostat cover gasket that doesn't fit.

Grakkus posted:

Nice car, 190s are a great blend of comfort, driving dynamics and oldschool mercedes reliability.

Do this, an EFI conversion and turbo it!

I would like to put a new engine in but cost is an issue

KozmoNaut posted:

I love 190s, as long as they're not eaten by rust, they'll run basically forever.

My parents have had two. The first was a 1986 2.0 diesel (72hp, 4spd manual), bought at 650.000km and sold at 850.000km. Good car, but holy poo poo soooo slooooow, 160kph if you really beat on it and had a big-rear end empty highway. The second was a 1988 2.5 turbodiesel (122hp, 4spd automatic), which was one hell of a ride. It had the super-fancy pneumatic driver's seat and everything. I'm still a little annoyed that they sold it and replaced it with a real turd of a 1996 C250D (non-turbo).

They sound like nice cars :)

cursedshitbox posted:

Drop a m103 3.0 or m104 300ce-24 ~89-92 mill in it.

Grab the brakes from a 93-95 W124 e320/e420.

This is why I post here I would never know this stuff without SA

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This looks awesome.

Who needs a front sway bar?

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 23, 2018

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Rather than buying tools, I just made something type of thing to pull the slide pit out with a valve cover bolt.

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
I'm working on the daunting task of removing wiring harness plugs, its a nightmare. Most of the connectors were corroded on and I but I managed to get them off with the pick set.

Its amazing this car was running. Maybe its the good ol merca in me but a carbureager would have been so much simpler
I haven't been posting or working because of school
I lost my job too
Things are good now
..and I got a new Buick

• Locked thread