Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Everybody's talkin' at me... I can't hear a word they're sayin'... just drivin' around in Alyssa Milano's car...

edit: credit to esperterra for the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Insatiable keeps getting better and better lmao. I've gone from thinking it's mostly boring with some highs, to being really invested tbh. I feel like a lot of people just saw the trailer, or the bad fat suit in episode one, and chose to not engage further w/o heavy bias. The trailer was awful tho I can't deny that lmao, I definitely went into this expecting it to be at least pointless if not outright bad, but I don't think it's either of those things. Maybe people just gave up after the pilot? It's definitely the worst episode of the series b/c it seemed to have no idea what kind of show it wanted to be, imo.

The across the board vitriol for the show I've seen from critics online blows my mind tbh. There isn't really a lot of fat-shaming going on, the only people in the show who engage in it are either clearly bad people from the start, or the lead character herself, who constantly has her friends and other people she meets telling her that being hot on the outside doesn't matter if you're ugly on the inside-- which she is. She's a horrible person and the show is in no way shy about letting the viewer know that. I'm digging it.

For an admittedly uneven dark comedy that has a couple hiccups with how it handles its tonal shifts from the ridiculous moments to the serious ones, I think it handles a lot of issues p tastefully as well. I can definitely relate to this self destructive af relationship with weight and general self esteem for onesself. I also really like the way it handles one of the leads coming to terms w/ her sexuality. It's messy and awkward and in a good way. It could probably be shorter tho. At least the first few episodes kind of dragged. It really picks up around the mid point, though.

This show is going to have to do some really impressive bombing in the back end for me to come out of it thinking it's bad. Like lmao there's no way this show is worse than something like Girlboss even if it turns into a hot mess for the next 5 or whatever episodes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If Bob and Bob don't hook up I'ma riot. Just Dallas Roberts and Auggie from Covert Affairs and Alyssa Milano goin to town on eachother tbh I would live, ty in advance Insatiable if this happens b/c I think it's going to

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm only just at the halfway point but it's extremely true that the first couple episodes are the weakest, and one does suspect that some critics called it a day after that. It's not hard to just go along with what everyone else is saying. I'm reminded of the Heathers remake (RIP) where the trailer made it look like an elephant turd in a dumpster factory that was also on fire, but then I watched it and it was genuinely good and the things reviewers slammed it for were either nonexistent or existed in a different form.

As I said to mah kweenie a few minutes ago, calling out this show for fat shaming is on the exact level as calling out the original Heathers for being pro-murder.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Speaking of Heathers, the Christian character is 100000000% a JD homage in the least subtle way and I kind of love it lol.

This show definitely doesn't hit the highs of a Heathers or even the kind of specific vibe something like Drop Dead Gorgeous has. Like it needs to lean juuust a little more into the bleakness or just a little more into the whimsy to really hit a home run. But it's still pulling it off for me, for sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's got a lot of DNA from Mean Girls, Heathers, Jawbreaker, Detention, etc. for sure.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

It's got a lot of DNA from Mean Girls, Heathers, Jawbreaker, Detention, etc. for sure.

Yeah, it feels like it's pulling from a lot but can't quiiite narrow down which one it wants to be more like. I get some Popular vibes out of it as well.

I'm curious if this show will do well for views. All the outrage means it'll either bomb or get more eyes on it than it may have otherwise lmao. I'd like to see a season 2, even if season 1 ends badly. Giving it some more room to figure out its own voice could really do wonders for the vibe imo.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I think it avoids the fat shaming/bigotry/racism problems because every single character is horrible in some way. Most of them are addicts either literally or figuratively (apart from showing off his abs, Bob Barnard can't stop winning and won't let his family stop either). Every character has a completely hosed relationship with their parents (the healthiest, most supportive parental relationship in the series is between Regina and Dixie, for chrissakes). Everyone is a complete fuckup, and if you can't see it immediately just wait for the shoe to drop.

The message isn't "fat shaming is wrong/right/whatever", it's "childhood will gently caress you up".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the characters in this show are all broken af other than maybe Nonnie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, and Dee. She seems to have her poo poo together.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Eh, Nonnie's just as broken and toxic as everyone else at the start of the series, she's jealous of Patty having other friends. It's easy to sympathise with, but half the cast have sob stories justifying them being complete assholes. She gets better though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh for sure, plus her mommy issues with hers not being around. I just mean compared to everyone else she's less vile and more just typically messed up lol

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Murderion posted:

I think it avoids the fat shaming/bigotry/racism problems because every single character is horrible in some way. Most of them are addicts either literally or figuratively (apart from showing off his abs, Bob Barnard can't stop winning and won't let his family stop either). Every character has a completely hosed relationship with their parents (the healthiest, most supportive parental relationship in the series is between Regina and Dixie, for chrissakes). Everyone is a complete fuckup, and if you can't see it immediately just wait for the shoe to drop.

The message isn't "fat shaming is wrong/right/whatever", it's "childhood will gently caress you up".

This is something I've noticed a lot lately, people don't pick up how terrible someone is in fiction and focus only on the terrible things they say/do, and then try to turn in into an attack against the shows writers/producers/actors etc. They ignore how they are clearing so broken and falling apart, even in a show like this where they are as subtle as a brick about it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This is something I've noticed a lot lately, people don't pick up how terrible someone is in fiction and focus only on the terrible things they say/do, and then try to turn in into an attack against the shows writers/producers/actors etc. They ignore how they are clearing so broken and falling apart, even in a show like this where they are as subtle as a brick about it.

I dunno. Hasn't that always been a huge problem -- most extremely, in the form of people unable to tell the difference between actors and characters, so they end up sending the actor death threats for the "crimes" that their character committed?

But there are a whole bunch of other examples of people confusing the creators and the created. My mother, for example, used to think that all gay characters were played by gay actors. It was a conscious bias on her part, and if she was ever confronted on the point she'd realise she was being ridiculous, but she still assumes it every time.

Or there's that anecdote J.K. Simmons sometimes relates, where back when he was performing on Oz he'd get all these white power arseholes wandering up to him on the street, congratulating him for "fighting the good fight" or whatever the hell they thought their tiny racist brains thought the show was doing with the guy. Didn't matter than the character was fictional, or a deplorable villain, or that he hosed dudes on screen. To them he was just doing some stand up rep.

A lot of people struggle with satire, and if there isn't someone obviously on screen explaining the show's baseline perspective (usually in the form on a simplistic, moralising voiceover) then they get confused. And then they often turn to critics for explanations, and if the critics are incapable of making head nor tail from what they're looking at (which they often are, there's a low standard for quality amongst tv critics and, beyond that, a pronounced tendency towards shock tactics) then the discourse turns into reactionary goop.

People are dumb, I guess, but I don't think this is a new form of dumb.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's definitely not new-- just seems more widespread with how easily we can access people's opinions on media with the internet, imo.

e: not to mention how easily people will just glom onto a cause if they read an article that says Thing is Bad/Problematic, without bothering to look into any sort of context for themselves

It doesn't help that the trailer for the show was p bad, but even in the trailer I could tell it wasn't meant to be taken at face value that the show was about skinny being magic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not new-- just seems more widespread with how easily we can access people's opinions on media with the internet, imo.

e: not to mention how easily people will just glom onto a cause if they read an article that says Thing is Bad/Problematic, without bothering to look into any sort of context for themselves

It doesn't help that the trailer for the show was p bad, but even in the trailer I could tell it wasn't meant to be taken at face value that the show was about skinny being magic.

Yeah, essentially the show is a rejection of the idea of looking at things superficially, which is the kind of thing satire is uniquely equipped to handle. Satire, as a genre, is defined by appearing differently to how it actually is, so the show ends up being a case of function mirroring form.

So I think it's kinda amazing that the show ended up being damaged by a bunch of glancing hot takes. Talk about ironic.

precision posted:

I'm reminded of the Heathers remake (RIP)

It's airing in Bulgaria!

They were going to do an episode entirely in first person, set in JD's brain. And a second season in Versailles! I'm so mad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe it not having a super overt tone or style is what throws people off about the show? But even then, it's not exactly subtle. But it certainly doesn't have the same energy or weird dreamy look a lot of satires like this one would have. I think it's started to find its own voice late in the season, though. I have a few episodes left, should be done tomorrow night. Wish I had more time to just binge it though tbh, I'm really enjoying it.

e: I'm amazed there's no rips out of Heathers if it's airing internationally, I might consider finally watching the pilot if I knew I had the rest of the season to potentially want to watch.

e2: none on my tracker anyway i could maybe find it if i looked harder lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh poo poo Jon Lovitz hahahahaha

e: lmfao If Father Schwartz said demons were real, maybe bisexuals were too!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh hello Billy Baldwin

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

oh poo poo Jon Lovitz hahahahaha

e: lmfao If Father Schwartz said demons were real, maybe bisexuals were too!

That whole sequence was amazing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So drat good lol. I have just the finale left after work tonight, excited to finish.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Binged the whole thing in two days. Just finished the finale. Glad I did it, one of the funniest shows I've watched this year, even with all the dark poo poo. Especially with all the dark poo poo.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

2 episodes in and I'm not 100% sure what I think about the show but the presence of lines like "Unfortunately, you can't mount a bear fetus" is pushing me toward the positive side.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao this finale is great so far. I really hope it gets a second season.

not a cult posted:

2 episodes in and I'm not 100% sure what I think about the show but the presence of lines like "Unfortunately, you can't mount a bear fetus" is pushing me toward the positive side.

Plenty more where that came from! The first few episodes are a little slow and uneven, but it hits its stride and keeps on trucking.

e: done and :lol:

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 17, 2018

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

not a cult posted:

It takes a bit to really get going, but the payoff is worth the effort.

When my wife and I started watching it she was ambivalent to start but by the the time we reached the end it she had considered it one of the best shows out. The actors do an amazing job with their characters both hitting the comedic notes and selling the drama.

I'm not sure how to even describe the characters as none of them are particularly likeable Brick seems to be one of the more decent ones and he was banging Regina to get back at his dad. Patty is a loving train wreck whose most interesting character trait is that she wants to be a decent person but when pushed into a corner just isn't.

All of the characters are narcissists on some level only caring about others as far as those other affect them. Every time we see a moment of potential growth a characters nature will assert itself and they revert to form.

I do admit to being somewhat disappointed with where they went with Bob A's sexuality. I liked the way that they had initially separated his behavior and love of fashion and feminine aesthetics from his sexuality. Having him "go gay or bi or whatever" while interesting and subversive in some ways was still disappointing in how it reinforced the stereotypes. I personally think that it would have been more interesting to have Bob B with his hyper-masculine "alpha male" personality be gay while having Bob A remain hetero-sexual (even though that would have denied us the Bob/Bob/Coralee 3 way).

The show also does a really good job of ramping up the crazy while never quite jumping the shark, a trick that few shows manage to pull off. Insatiable walks the line ala Supernatural rather than driving past it in the way that Scorpion did.

One of the more interesting aspects to me is how you can get invested in the characters even the most horrible and care what happens to them. Regina is a great character, she has absolutely zero redeeming qualities and is completely self aware of the fact in a way that's kind of refreshing. She's not likeable at all but you can't help but enjoy her character "everyone has their issues, take me for example I'm a horrible person" no rationalization, no trying to spin things in a way that makes her seem sympathetic just raw unadulterated self interest and as a result the least hypocritical character in the show.

One thing that I would remind people is to remember that this show isn't intended to be a realistic representation of reality, it's basically a comic book world, where things resemble the world we live in but everything is just a little exaggerated and a little more twisted.

That said the show hit's some very profound concepts, such as how being bullied and beaten down by society can result in a twisted psyche (Patty) how our lovely parents damage our psyche's while recognizing that their flaws were a result of their own hosed up family circumstances. Patty is a deranged train wreck, but you can see where it came from and unlike other similar shows who would have made the caterpillar turn into a beautiful butterfly and her have this mythical niceness once she emerges it recognizes that subjecting people to such abuse doesn't make them into nice people. Patty is an empowerment fantasy for the underdog, not the idealized virtuous empowerment fantasy where the downtrodden hero breaks out from her pupa and becomes a shining example of humanity, but the real one, the dark fantasy that everyone who's ever been poo poo on for being different has had where they have the power and can extract retribution against those who have wronged them.

As a parent of a child with a host of mental problems I found Dixie's description of her disorders and how they affect her behavior very , well real, I've heard my own son describe his psychological differences in a similar manner. And her awareness of it makes her strangely sympathetic to me.

The show is much better and smarter than it seems at first brush and the poor critical reception says more to me about how lovely critics are than anything about the show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love how you don't realize just how far gone Patty is 'til it hits you in the face in the finale. With a crowbar.

The build to it is so drat good because all the pieces have been laid so well.

e: also agreed re: Bob A but I still really love the way they handled it. It helps that the other characters involved are so drat good.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

esperterra posted:

I love how you don't realize just how far gone Patty is 'til it hits you in the face in the finale. With a crowbar.

The build to it is so drat good because all the pieces have been laid so well.

Yeah, that last line. I had kind of wondered at why we never saw her dealing with Stella Rose after freeing herself from the cuffs and put a whole different interpretation to her comment about having gone to a really dark place to escape (which at first one just thought was using ding dong stuffing to lubricate her hands out of the cuffs).

esperterra posted:

e: also agreed re: Bob A but I still really love the way they handled it. It helps that the other characters involved are so drat good.

Yeah it was definitely a minor quibble, all three actors are very talented and sell it beautifully. I was just a little disappointed that they dropped the initial conceit about Bob A's character being so comfortable with his own sexuality that he didn't feel any compulsion to conform to gender norms, so having it turn out that he had just been in denial of his own sexuality all along just seemed cheap and easy. That along with how rapidly his animosity and resentment for how Bob B was pretty much instantly erased by the magic of Gay sex strained my suspension of disbelief a fair amount. That said Dallas is so good in the role that he still sold it in the end.. But I get that it was necessary from a narrative standpoint in order to bring things full circle for the final as well as maintaining the show's central premise of never letting the characters have an unambiguous "win".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like it was less denial and he genuinely never considered it until Bob kissed him. He was content with Coralee and only ever slept around with another woman. To have him be straight would have been amazing, but at least they didn't make him a typical closet case who was keeping it secret all along.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This show is somehow really funny.
I feel kinda bad for liking it...

I guess it's important to note that there really isn't some kind of message that everything in life is suddenly way better once she got skinny. Most people on this show have deep psychological problems.

The frame story is just about a sudden superficial change, which doesn't actually fix all that much, because she's still messed up and tries to redirect her desires into something else.

As of episode 9 this show has been surprisingly respectful on social themes.

But yeah, it's still kinda terrible...

For some reason this song sprung into my head when I saw a certain scene of the finale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hh1YhDfbA

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1040012960398114816

yas bitch

• Locked thread