Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If Bob and Bob don't hook up I'ma riot. Just Dallas Roberts and Auggie from Covert Affairs and Alyssa Milano goin to town on eachother tbh I would live, ty in advance Insatiable if this happens b/c I think it's going to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Speaking of Heathers, the Christian character is 100000000% a JD homage in the least subtle way and I kind of love it lol.

This show definitely doesn't hit the highs of a Heathers or even the kind of specific vibe something like Drop Dead Gorgeous has. Like it needs to lean juuust a little more into the bleakness or just a little more into the whimsy to really hit a home run. But it's still pulling it off for me, for sure.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

It's got a lot of DNA from Mean Girls, Heathers, Jawbreaker, Detention, etc. for sure.

Yeah, it feels like it's pulling from a lot but can't quiiite narrow down which one it wants to be more like. I get some Popular vibes out of it as well.

I'm curious if this show will do well for views. All the outrage means it'll either bomb or get more eyes on it than it may have otherwise lmao. I'd like to see a season 2, even if season 1 ends badly. Giving it some more room to figure out its own voice could really do wonders for the vibe imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the characters in this show are all broken af other than maybe Nonnie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, and Dee. She seems to have her poo poo together.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh for sure, plus her mommy issues with hers not being around. I just mean compared to everyone else she's less vile and more just typically messed up lol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's definitely not new-- just seems more widespread with how easily we can access people's opinions on media with the internet, imo.

e: not to mention how easily people will just glom onto a cause if they read an article that says Thing is Bad/Problematic, without bothering to look into any sort of context for themselves

It doesn't help that the trailer for the show was p bad, but even in the trailer I could tell it wasn't meant to be taken at face value that the show was about skinny being magic.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe it not having a super overt tone or style is what throws people off about the show? But even then, it's not exactly subtle. But it certainly doesn't have the same energy or weird dreamy look a lot of satires like this one would have. I think it's started to find its own voice late in the season, though. I have a few episodes left, should be done tomorrow night. Wish I had more time to just binge it though tbh, I'm really enjoying it.

e: I'm amazed there's no rips out of Heathers if it's airing internationally, I might consider finally watching the pilot if I knew I had the rest of the season to potentially want to watch.

e2: none on my tracker anyway i could maybe find it if i looked harder lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh poo poo Jon Lovitz hahahahaha

e: lmfao If Father Schwartz said demons were real, maybe bisexuals were too!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh hello Billy Baldwin

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So drat good lol. I have just the finale left after work tonight, excited to finish.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao this finale is great so far. I really hope it gets a second season.

not a cult posted:

2 episodes in and I'm not 100% sure what I think about the show but the presence of lines like "Unfortunately, you can't mount a bear fetus" is pushing me toward the positive side.

Plenty more where that came from! The first few episodes are a little slow and uneven, but it hits its stride and keeps on trucking.

e: done and :lol:

esperterra fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 17, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love how you don't realize just how far gone Patty is 'til it hits you in the face in the finale. With a crowbar.

The build to it is so drat good because all the pieces have been laid so well.

e: also agreed re: Bob A but I still really love the way they handled it. It helps that the other characters involved are so drat good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like it was less denial and he genuinely never considered it until Bob kissed him. He was content with Coralee and only ever slept around with another woman. To have him be straight would have been amazing, but at least they didn't make him a typical closet case who was keeping it secret all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1040012960398114816

yas bitch

• Locked thread