Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This is something I've noticed a lot lately, people don't pick up how terrible someone is in fiction and focus only on the terrible things they say/do, and then try to turn in into an attack against the shows writers/producers/actors etc. They ignore how they are clearing so broken and falling apart, even in a show like this where they are as subtle as a brick about it.

I dunno. Hasn't that always been a huge problem -- most extremely, in the form of people unable to tell the difference between actors and characters, so they end up sending the actor death threats for the "crimes" that their character committed?

But there are a whole bunch of other examples of people confusing the creators and the created. My mother, for example, used to think that all gay characters were played by gay actors. It was a conscious bias on her part, and if she was ever confronted on the point she'd realise she was being ridiculous, but she still assumes it every time.

Or there's that anecdote J.K. Simmons sometimes relates, where back when he was performing on Oz he'd get all these white power arseholes wandering up to him on the street, congratulating him for "fighting the good fight" or whatever the hell they thought their tiny racist brains thought the show was doing with the guy. Didn't matter than the character was fictional, or a deplorable villain, or that he hosed dudes on screen. To them he was just doing some stand up rep.

A lot of people struggle with satire, and if there isn't someone obviously on screen explaining the show's baseline perspective (usually in the form on a simplistic, moralising voiceover) then they get confused. And then they often turn to critics for explanations, and if the critics are incapable of making head nor tail from what they're looking at (which they often are, there's a low standard for quality amongst tv critics and, beyond that, a pronounced tendency towards shock tactics) then the discourse turns into reactionary goop.

People are dumb, I guess, but I don't think this is a new form of dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not new-- just seems more widespread with how easily we can access people's opinions on media with the internet, imo.

e: not to mention how easily people will just glom onto a cause if they read an article that says Thing is Bad/Problematic, without bothering to look into any sort of context for themselves

It doesn't help that the trailer for the show was p bad, but even in the trailer I could tell it wasn't meant to be taken at face value that the show was about skinny being magic.

Yeah, essentially the show is a rejection of the idea of looking at things superficially, which is the kind of thing satire is uniquely equipped to handle. Satire, as a genre, is defined by appearing differently to how it actually is, so the show ends up being a case of function mirroring form.

So I think it's kinda amazing that the show ended up being damaged by a bunch of glancing hot takes. Talk about ironic.

precision posted:

I'm reminded of the Heathers remake (RIP)

It's airing in Bulgaria!

They were going to do an episode entirely in first person, set in JD's brain. And a second season in Versailles! I'm so mad.

• Locked thread