Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Everybody's talkin' at me... I can't hear a word they're sayin'... just drivin' around in Alyssa Milano's car...

edit: credit to esperterra for the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Insatiable keeps getting better and better lmao. I've gone from thinking it's mostly boring with some highs, to being really invested tbh. I feel like a lot of people just saw the trailer, or the bad fat suit in episode one, and chose to not engage further w/o heavy bias. The trailer was awful tho I can't deny that lmao, I definitely went into this expecting it to be at least pointless if not outright bad, but I don't think it's either of those things. Maybe people just gave up after the pilot? It's definitely the worst episode of the series b/c it seemed to have no idea what kind of show it wanted to be, imo.

The across the board vitriol for the show I've seen from critics online blows my mind tbh. There isn't really a lot of fat-shaming going on, the only people in the show who engage in it are either clearly bad people from the start, or the lead character herself, who constantly has her friends and other people she meets telling her that being hot on the outside doesn't matter if you're ugly on the inside-- which she is. She's a horrible person and the show is in no way shy about letting the viewer know that. I'm digging it.

For an admittedly uneven dark comedy that has a couple hiccups with how it handles its tonal shifts from the ridiculous moments to the serious ones, I think it handles a lot of issues p tastefully as well. I can definitely relate to this self destructive af relationship with weight and general self esteem for onesself. I also really like the way it handles one of the leads coming to terms w/ her sexuality. It's messy and awkward and in a good way. It could probably be shorter tho. At least the first few episodes kind of dragged. It really picks up around the mid point, though.

This show is going to have to do some really impressive bombing in the back end for me to come out of it thinking it's bad. Like lmao there's no way this show is worse than something like Girlboss even if it turns into a hot mess for the next 5 or whatever episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm only just at the halfway point but it's extremely true that the first couple episodes are the weakest, and one does suspect that some critics called it a day after that. It's not hard to just go along with what everyone else is saying. I'm reminded of the Heathers remake (RIP) where the trailer made it look like an elephant turd in a dumpster factory that was also on fire, but then I watched it and it was genuinely good and the things reviewers slammed it for were either nonexistent or existed in a different form.

As I said to mah kweenie a few minutes ago, calling out this show for fat shaming is on the exact level as calling out the original Heathers for being pro-murder.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's got a lot of DNA from Mean Girls, Heathers, Jawbreaker, Detention, etc. for sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

oh poo poo Jon Lovitz hahahahaha

e: lmfao If Father Schwartz said demons were real, maybe bisexuals were too!

That whole sequence was amazing.

• Locked thread