Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
PES- Pro Evolution Soccer, the game everyone mocks for having lovely licensing and being bad for a long stetch of time. Well apparently their last two titles have actually been fun to play while FIFA has become more and more of a tedious frustrating mess that doesn't resemble football in the slightest. Will PES 19 be good? I don't know. Am I willing to find out after suffering FIFA's protracted decline.... Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSfko2Ps9oY

https://twitter.com/officialpes/status/1029691587390070784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got kind of frustrated with Fifa 18 gameplay and PES 2018 got me, even if 80% of my playtime is offline and couch play. I'll give PES2019 a go this year since I can slap an option file on PS4 or PC.

I'll wait for the price to drop a bit in like two months after launch so I can see how both games fare. At least the demo for PES was surprisingly good, cept for making L1+triangle too powerful imo.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can someone give me a rundown of the positives and negatives of PES gameplay and how cool or good their offline career mode is? Like youth, building teams, promotion? I generally play Millwall and AC Milan careers. I don't care about FUT or online and am just here for manager mode and actual gameplay

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Being honest, PES 2019 will need an option file to get most out of it if you are mostly an offline player like me. For career mode FIFA will have more licenses (they own UEFA Europa League and Champions now) and coming from FIFA18 and PES2018, FIFA's career mode is more dynamic as it has better youth academy and transfers between AI teams make more "sense". Sadly PES 2019 is focusing on improving online modes so that's a bummer.

I played FIFA mainly since '09 as PES started to suck gameplay wise and even went full online with FIFA 13, 14, 15 and 16. 17 was starting to feel worse and I didn't like 18's gameplay while PES started to improve with PES2016 (but not getting good until 2018). From the demo, PES2019 looks fantastic but I want to try FIFA but funnily its demo is always an early beta and you may hate the gameplay and then like the final release (wich will get eventually patched). It's all up to you on what kind of gameplay you like more, the more touch and slow based PES (with players that still feel like tanks when turning) or the faster and more skill/dribbling based FIFA (with more control over what you want). Both games took different ways to make matches feel different.

As someone that has never been a fanboy as I played all fifa games since the first SNES one and PES from PC releases (PES3 onwards), this year is going to be confusing. I bounced hard off FIFA 18 and liked PES2018 but still felt that it needed more features. I also picked PES2018 since I like couch play and one of my friends gets FIFA all years so is a way of "we play FIFA on your xbone and we play PES on my ps4" but if I had to choose, right now, one of them for 100% offline play, FIFA out of the box is slightly better. If you play on xbox, you're hosed with PES with tons of unpatched teams while FIFA has everything out of the box (also better interface overall). I love FIFA with "bad" teams since matches don't end being a sweat fest while PES with a bad team can be frustrating since it leans more on precise first touch passes and shots (that you'll miss more often). PES on higher difficulties is more rewarding and feels great while FIFA on high difficulties is rubberbanding to the extreme (last one that wasn't like that was FIFA 14 and still had it's infuriating moments).

In resume: PES has more slow build-up play and has a decent career mode (PC/PS4 with patches) and FIFA has more modes, licenses, faster but has all the bells and whistles out of the box. If you go full offline, I'd choose FIFA since it has slightly better youth academy and you'll get your Millwall with everything while chances that you need to patch them in PES.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I got PES a couple of years ago on PC and whilst I preferred almost everything about it I never played because online play was terrible, awfully laggy.

I know it wasn't my end as I could play Fifa smooth as you like online - did anyone else ever suffer this?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PES 2018 (talking about PS4) works fine online, looks like people playing PES2019 demo online setting the quality of matchmaking connection to 5 stars is good. I barely touched online in PES games so I can't tell aside from a couple of matches.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
I think I'm gonna skip PES this year and get fifa.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I tried to get into 18 after FIFA 18 seemed terrible but to be honest PES seemed even worse, the controls were a joke.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I think a lot of people not liking the gameplay is down to years of fifa muscle memory I could be wrong tho. Also apparently pes standalone fut mode might be released free in November so I might hold out for that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PES Lite is free for those who want to play Konami's FUT so you can wait for that and see if the full game is worth it. I'll end getting both so :shepspends:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
PES player since ISS 64 here. I made PES OPs here the last few years but nobody ever posted in them :smith:. I'm playing this year's game on PS4, it's great. Much bigger gameplay improvement than from 2017 to 2018, everything feels incredibly fluid. The new roles and skills are fun to use, and some of the cheesy stuff from 2018, like 1-touch passing in the box leading to guaranteed goals, have been fixed. Online finally works right too, last year a lot of games would have noticeable input lag but everything feels like offline this year, even searching at 3+ bars.

I'm going to try and get deeper into MyClub this year, now that they've made some serious quality of life improvements (like having a default 1000 player limit). Finding the right combination of players and advanced instructions to get the most out of each manager is really gratifying.

I'm a fairly advanced player, generally sitting at 900+ in Online Divisions (rip) the last few years, so I can probably answer most questions anyone might have about how to not suck, what different tactical settings do, etc.

I've given the FIFA demos a try the last few years and they've always felt incredibly arcadey to me. What I like about PES -- especially this year -- is that you can actually have success approaching it like football, rather than trying to solve the video game. As long as you actually understand what all the roles, tactical settings, and advanced instructions do, which is admittedly a pretty big barrier to entry.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 30, 2018

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

PES was better last year. Although I basically played the demo for the entire year while waiting for a price drop that I never saw.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

dkj posted:

PES was better last year. Although I basically played the demo for the entire year while waiting for a price drop that I never saw.

Eh? PES 2018 got heavy discounts this year. I got it for 8€ during a sale in June on PSN. It was getting discounts under 20€ since January.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Eh? PES 2018 got heavy discounts this year. I got it for 8€ during a sale in June on PSN. It was getting discounts under 20€ since January.

I'm saying I never noticed any of the sales so I never bought it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh I got you now. I usually keep a bunch of games on my wishlist so I can check at least once a week (or month) if they're on sale. PES 2019 will be at least 40% off this christmas for sure by looking at the past three games.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
How does youth academy and regens work in PES? FIFA 19 isn't doing poo poo for career mode so im lookign real hard at PES

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PES 2019 isn't improving offline modes over 2018 either so is all down to gameplay preferences imo.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Is the PES online Team Building as much „p2w“ as FIFA? FIFA usually needs ~ 100 Euro/Dollar alias 12000 Points investment for each and every player with 84+ ovr rating out of the packs.
So a squad with 84-85 Rating with players only out of packs (ignoring the transfer market, just pulls) demands 120k-150K points or more, at least, depending on the RNG.
Even for a whale, this is tiresome. I would like to know if I have to open hundreds of packs in PES as well, and is there a transfermarket as well?

Edit: I liked the solo Pro Player matches 6vs6 in FIFA, where you chose a position and play with and against other myplayers.
Does PES offer a similar mode?

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 16, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I downloaded the demo and really enjoyed the play. It felt much more real than fifa. When I play fifa I feel like everything is super fast and all the players are pretty interchangeable and everyone's just like little rockets running around into each other. PES felt much more weighty and tactical. The passing feels way better too and I really like the movement.

The only way I'll be dissapointed is if career mode doesn't generate new players every year?

Also how do you identify gems and regens and good players in career is there anything like fifa potential to be special.

I also really liked the different positions and play styles in PES way better than fifa cookie cutter poo poo.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

Is the PES online Team Building as much „p2w“ as FIFA? FIFA usually needs ~ 100 Euro/Dollar alias 12000 Points investment for each and every player with 84+ ovr rating out of the packs.
So a squad with 84-85 Rating with players only out of packs (ignoring the transfer market, just pulls) demands 120k-150K points or more, at least, depending on the RNG.
Even for a whale, this is tiresome. I would like to know if I have to open hundreds of packs in PES as well, and is there a transfermarket as well?

Edit: I liked the solo Pro Player matches 6vs6 in FIFA, where you chose a position and play with and against other myplayers.
Does PES offer a similar mode?

FIFA wasn't p2w at all though, the rewards for playing were incredibly generous. I never spent a dime and I had like a 5 million coin team by the end.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
where the gently caress do i find a half decent option file what should i use

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Waroduce posted:

where the gently caress do i find a half decent option file what should i use

PESUniverse and PESWorld both do good work

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is it worth it to pay? I did some skimming and saw you can order USB sticks and poo poo so idk.

Also I'm not super clear on how regens and new players in career mode work do current players just get recycled into their existing team with a different name?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Is it worth it to pay? I did some skimming and saw you can order USB sticks and poo poo so idk.

Also I'm not super clear on how regens and new players in career mode work do current players just get recycled into their existing team with a different name?

You can definitely find it for free with some moderate google acrobatics

Regens don't change names, they go into a pool where they're either picked up by other teams, available for transfer, free agents, or become one of the 16-year-olds that join your youth team every 6 months. So, once Messi retires, within the next 1-3 seasons a 16-year-old Messi will pop up somewhere. There's some randomness in terms of player stats and potential, but in general the good players stay good after they regen.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i can essentially just like cntrl-f for Ronaldo, Messi etc and get them with their same name? That kind of sucks any way to randomize names or something

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

AI feels really rubber-bandy this year.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have that feel too and it seems that one of the "new" tweaks compared to 2018 is that morale thing. I don't know how to explain it but in some matches a team clearly inferior (let's say I play with Chelsea vs Shakhtar Donetsk) pushes and scores really easy at the start and I have to slowly get the control of the match and score the equalizer and then they start pushing again. If you manage to score your second before them, the oponent AI becomes less agressive. This is playing on professional and I don't complain since it makes some games more interesting but it can suck in higher difficulties. It's no Fifa where a 50 pace defender will sprint and catch your high 80s pace player but I hope they don't go that way any further.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm having a really fun time managing the millwall knockoff in this game and trying to get them into the friend. I definitely enjoy the game play a lot more than FIFA and it's much less arcadey where you can just Sprint and run all over the place.

When I finally get around to downloading an option file does anybody know if I will have to restart my master League playthrough?

I am also down to do the be a player mode online with you guys if anybody is into that. I usually play left-back or left wing.

I still don't have a really good handle on how youth team and youth prospects and scouting young players Works. Particularly on getting my hands on Regens or identifying gifted players like FIFA has potential to be special and all that stuff. Is there a handy guide or can somebody ever post about career mode stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I'm having a really fun time managing the millwall knockoff in this game and trying to get them into the friend. I definitely enjoy the game play a lot more than FIFA and it's much less arcadey where you can just Sprint and run all over the place.

When I finally get around to downloading an option file does anybody know if I will have to restart my master League playthrough?

I am also down to do the be a player mode online with you guys if anybody is into that. I usually play left-back or left wing.

I still don't have a really good handle on how youth team and youth prospects and scouting young players Works. Particularly on getting my hands on Regens or identifying gifted players like FIFA has potential to be special and all that stuff. Is there a handy guide or can somebody ever post about career mode stuff

Growth is pretty linear, you can just do an advanced search and sort by age and the youngest, best players will all continue to be the best as they age. The scouting system just gives you a little bit of a negotiation boost for players who get scouted, so that you can get them cheaper.

• Locked thread