Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sup gangsters, I have no idea what sub-forum this belongs between Ask/Tell, SAL, or BFC.

I'm going to start with some E/N background, so feel free to skip ahead. I've been wanting to make extra cash alongside my day job. The only way I know how to make money is through traditional jobs, but I want to change that. If I could work remotely, doing what I can on my free time to make extra money, that would be nice. It would give me a sense of security knowing that if I somehow lost my day job, I could still float on and make ends meet. Or, if it was eventually profitable enough, I could move out of town and go somewhere else without having to live next to my workplace.I spent a bit of time looking up ideas for remote work, and copy-editing came up.

That looks like a good fit. After all, my friends routinely asked me to edit their essays in college. My roommate would have me review her email, personal statements, appeals, and so on. It was enjoyable to see a rough document become polished and focused. With these experiences in mind, copy-editing seems like something I can do. There's a pretty big hurdle I have to overcome though. I think I suck at it. Given how I did on some self-tests in a Copyediting and Proofreading for Dummies book, or the New York Times Copyediting quizzes (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/11/insider/copy-edit-this-quiz.html), I'm shockingly bad at some of this stuff. Theres plenty of grammar guides on the internet, but I was looking for something more.

Are there online manuals to work with, or good resources I can use to get me on the right track? My For Dummies book is an okay resource, but I learn best with worksheets and self-testing. Also, I'm all ears if there's something wrong with this field and i'm working towards a dead end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455

• Locked thread