Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So glad I occasionally browse through Games to see what new threads pop, didnt know that it was out now. Hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's been hinted at already in the thread but when is the game supposed to get, yknow, challenging? I'm all the way to the fourth hospital where I am being taught to train workers and I feel like I'm breezing through the entire thing without a look back. It's actually kind of boring, like as if Prison Architect was full of white collar prisoners.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Enjoying the game a lot more now that I'm getting out of TutorialTown. Only major bug I have had so far has been an issue where people leaving the cast sawing machine in the fracture ward get stuck up on the people trying to go into it and end up just jammed up there while the queue forms behind it. I've had a few instances where a pretty big line formed at the cutter and I end up with a pile of dead bodies when I move it since they were all at low health from standing for so long.

Which is fine because having people die in the hallways is surprisingly not that big of a deal. Yeah the ghosts are annoying to get rid of, but if you have a properly staffed janitorial crew it isn't that big of a problem. I had the death bell ringing constantly due to a couple issues at one point and really all it did was freak out the other pawns and free up some delicious space in the queues.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 3, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One thing that I have loved is the fact that placed items give the same bonus regardless of how many of them are in the room, which means that I am perfectly justified completely wallpapering my Ward with posters of clowns just so that I can imagine some poor bastard with a phobia getting sent there and having to wait for a nurse while wondering if the walls will come alive and eat him.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

So I am supposed to be sending the untreated people on the brink of death home so that they can die off hospital property in a clear commentary on the American health system right

Fans posted:

So I don't think it mentions it anywhere, but checking the staff buffs Doctor's and Nurses get +10% to Treatment and Diagnosis for being "Energized" by being well rested or having Coffee/Energy Drinks and another +10% for having Happiness above 90%. Or 80% if you have happiness skill.

Janitors don't get benefits for being happy, but if they're unhappy their speed goes down. Assistants meanwhile get +20% to Customer Satisfaction and Marketing.

Might make some pay bumps worth it to keep people happy if they're in particularly important roles.

Don't bother keeping Researchers happy though, they don't get any benefit from it.

Good info. I really need to get every percentage I can get because I keep having to manually send people at 99% diagnosis in for treatment so they don't slot up my offices.

If you put a coffee pot in their offices will they generally use them?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

My entire staff subsists off a diet of nothing but pop, coffee and chocolate. It's a wonder they haven't poo poo out all their internal organs yet or keeled over from heart attacks.

Sounds like an accurate simulation of a real life hospital

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

It might be more prudent to train up treatment people first, actually. You don't really need that many and it ensures you'll get paid eventually.

I've been doing the opposite of that, dumping diagnosis into everyone except the handful that do treatment, who get trained later. The reason is mostly time; a highly trained treatment provider will give a higher chance of success, but you get paid at least something win or lose. On the other hand the way to diagnosing works you want to make sure that the pawns have the highest diagnosis level possible before they go back to the GI, otherwise they have to re-queue for the test, run it, go back, re-queue for the GI, run through that, THEN they can start getting treated.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My kingdom for a chance to replace skills. Come on doc, just forget how to use an MRI

njsykora posted:

Seriously, every single hospital I've had to this point the major bottleneck has been the GP's office. Having patients getting out of the diagnosis loop faster makes everything so much easier.

Yes but then you lose the chance to manually clear 20 people for treatment, resulting in dissolving queues and a gigantic pile of money in a single stroke that borders on erotic.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Spacedad posted:

If you have the money to burn ($45k to be exact) you can also stuff a shitton of medicine cabinets into a GP office and then literally any untrained doctor who uses it will basically be a max GP.

Of course most of the time you'll be putting in 5-15 medicine cabinets at most. It definitely does make a difference.

Are they really that effective? I haven't been including them because a 1% increase per isn't much of an increase.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It is pretty easy (if expensive) to top out rooms at level 5, even the very small ones, by spamming high value wall decorations. It seems like there should definitely be a more aesthetically pleasing method though so all my GP offices don't look like an awards cabinet hellscape

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

L0VE posted:

I wouldn't call it expensive. It's 6000 $ for a 3x3 room without anything else in it to get level 5.

Expensive for the early game at least, especially in some of the more challenging hospitals.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's kind of stupid but I wish that diseases didn't fully manifest until they were actually diagnosed. It is a bit frustrating to see people lining up for a diagnosis and tests when some of them have LIGHTBULBS for HEADS.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

L0VE posted:

The 3-star requirements for Smogley was something like 50 successful surgeries, train 30 staff and have 90 % cure rate. Definitely alright difficulty wise, but training 30 staff (at a point where most staff should be fairly well trained) ended up being more a chore than a challenge.

Unrelated but I really hope they have more decorative items for the game coming soon. With so many rooms late game things can get a bit samey and the design element is really fun if you ignore efficiency.

Some of those I have skipped out on 3 starring if I judge that I have solved the puzzle of the hospital, which means that after that it is just implementation and filling bars, which is pretty tedious. Yeah I miss out on some stuff but nothing groundbreaking.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man this game is horribly buggy for a full release. I have two GIs that I have to manually drag out of their offices to take breaks because otherwise they will just sit at their desks crying, and another office that is totally useless because a mime is stuck permanently rage quitting in the middle of it so no one else can use it (trying to bounce him out doesn't work). Good game but jesus

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Didn't someone earlier point out that you can reduce visitor congestion by raising the prices? I haven't tried it myself.

Hiring better staff is an easy one.

Raising your prices will slowly decrease your "price reputation" over time, which I assume will reduce your hospital reputation over time once it gets low. That does bring in less patients, but you are just buying time because to raise it back up again you will have to slash prices for the same amt/time to stabilize.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah pathing is pretty awful, I have had to start re-assigning queue position for people sitting outside the office so that position number one isn't halfway across the room

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My favorite line is still "Please excuse the trash that you dropped on our floors"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is there a summary of what to do? I like big wards but I seem to get choked at some point by (I think) patients only using two changing rooms. Maybe it was a bug or something but I had three and a line of people at two with the third empty the whole time.

That is a bug, they should use all that are available.

For buggy stations like that I tend to put them up with the useable section facing the wall so that only one person can access it at a time. That has become standard procedure for the cast sawing machine for me, it is less effective but never breaks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think that they refer to the researchers as "Boffins" which is a uniquely British slang term iirc

E. Also Two Points is headquartered in England

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

nielsm posted:

It does sound like patients should be much more picky about how far they are willing to wander to satisfy some need, yes.

And yes I do think patients had to touch the door to a room to enter its queue.

Or just have them only use facilities that are in the same building that they are in. The only big issue would be cafes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Doing some testing, it appears that each cafe counter can put out enough meals to fill one table, so a 1:1 ratio is fine. No need to fill the place up.

Also it looks like 95% of the time pawns will go to a place nearest their destination *if they can queue for it*. Vending machines are not queue-able so they send people all over, but building a cafe, bathroom, and maybe gift shop in the area will keep them local. Just make sure you have enough counters to handle the load.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The worst level I have had so far was the one near the volcano that occasionally drops burning rocks on you, because janitor pathing is awful. I have to manually alter priorities every time the event happens because I know that the trash is very full right now but my equipment is on fire.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

uXs posted:

So what's the opinion on going back to the university level with a group of level 4/5 researchers in a giant research lab stacked with servers to quickly research things you need on a new level? Cheating or playing the game as it's supposed to be played?

I think sharing research between levels is intended primarily so you don't have to research everything again whenever you move to a new hospital, so using the system so you only ever build a single research lab on the entire map seems a bit, I dunno, too easy.

Ultimately the only thing that you are saving yourself is time so I have no moral qualms with it. Unless your hospital is diving into the ground and you need that tech to pull a one star before you leave forever it won't change much gameplay imo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think I am going to take a break from this until they fix the pathing. It's frustrating that you can put all this time into it and eventually something just snaps and suddenly your ward is totally nonfunctional because the nurses are doing laps

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

No Wave posted:

is that even an exploit? It seems like they're playing the game as it was designed to be played.

Plus just because they have high diagnosis skill that doesn't mean that they are doing it quickly. You could fit 3-4 offices in that same space, which is a big deal for a tetris game like this

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Honestly at this point the system being broken because it is exploitable is probably a lower priority than fixing actually game breaking bugs. It's not like there are actual leaderboards that people are going to be exploiting their way into, unless you really want to be a dick to your steam friends.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Incoming beta patch

quote:

We’ve been hard at work improving the game and we’re ready to release a patch for a few issues that have cropped up. We’ll be adding it to a beta branch first before migrating it over to the default branch.

If you’d like to test out the new patch, you can download it by following these steps:

1. Right-click Two Point Hospital in your game library and select Properties.
2. Select the BETAS tab.
3. Choose twopointhospital_patch_beta from the drop-down menu.
4. The build will start downloading.

Here's what the patch will fix:

• Fix most cases of career save disappearing
• Fix people getting stuck in wards and fracture wards
• Fix many cases of patients getting stuck after loading old saves
• Fix zombie guest trainers that were broken in old saves
• Fix up part-created rooms that were broken in old saves
• Fix rage quitting patients staying in hospital
• Fix some cases of staff not starting training when dropped into training room
• Improve cases of challenge patients arriving too late
• Fix mouse issues on gaming mice
• Speed up saving game - much faster for career-only saves
• Fix visualisation modes getting stuck
• Fix spurious errors in log on shutting down
• Various minor art fixes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

wow the later hospitals sure get lovely

i'm glad temperature, epidemics and just bad pathing are all mechanics

I don't even bother with the epidemic minigame anymore. There are so many ways that it can go wrong (oh hey, the one person still affected is a GE that touches everyone but never moves) that it just isn't worth the stress.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All that stuff you learned in medical school? Forget all that, you won't be needing that here

"Bedside manner? How do I put this... could you be more of a dick?"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

To be honest the skills system says that the higher level of education you get the less likely you are going to develop any form of people skills or efficiency which is very close to real life.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

To be fair, once you got established in Theme Hospital it was also nearly impossible to fail. Ditto with the later games of Tropico and I can only speak for myself but I never game overed in Banished.

Two Point is like Banished in the sense that as long as you are paying attention it is fairly easy, but if you ignore things too much (whoops you ran out of tools in banished) everything can go to hell in a handbasket, especially for the later hospitals.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Are the performance issues due to overloading with tracking all the AI, or is it a pure memory leak?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Good to hear about cafes, hopefully my patients don't keep walking a half mile for a burger while their heart is failing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

luxury handset posted:

still really unsure if this game is supposed to model the british or american healthcare system because then this behavior could be a bug, or a feature

You underestimate the ability of Americans to sustain themselves entirely on fritos and skittles

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Who here loves that you can fatally fail to treat someone even at 99% success? Because oh boy trying to get the no deaths award and complete the entire set is a roll of the dice.

:xcom:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jabor posted:

The very first level has the instructor telling you that one bed for five students is normal, or something like that.

Is there any reason to have multiple small rooms instead of just one big one (other than meeting number-of-room requirements for courses)? The "room quality" measure seems to just be "how much stuff is in this room", and obviously you can fit more things in a bigger room...

You can make a lot of small rooms rather than large ones but you need someone to staff each of them, the per-room capacity decreases, and you will have trouble finding floor space to get the prestige of the room up. But other than that it's largely a balancing act, since gigantic rooms also tend to not be efficient due to max class sizes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

njsykora posted:

You also leave yourself less room for adding items to complete student assignment requirements down the line.

Yeah, a two square buffer on rooms over the bare minimum for practical class areas is pretty highly recommended. It's not like hospital where so long as you can squeeze the examination machine and a trash can in the room you're basically golden so long as you blanket the walls with posters.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BattyKiara posted:

Why aren't the students using my private tuition room? I hired a teacher for it. The room looks nice. But no student wants to go there?

You can manually send shitass students to private tutoring if they need it, although they should be going on their own. The option is on the bottom of their info cards.

The students are also a bit lazy and will queue for positions near where they are rather than walking to another area to walk right in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Do the student info cards feel a little bit overwhelming to anyone else?

It seems like you actually have to pay attention to a lot of the information on them, unlike TPH, where you really just needed their diagnosis status, current health, and a few comfort levels like food/drink/bathroom needs. Patients came in, got diagnosed and treated, and then booted out the door, so most of the time I never even looked at their info cards beyond "is this person currently dying?".

I'm very early into TPC, but I'm already seeing goals like "make two people reach Best Friends" level, which... how micro-managey do I need to get with the individual students?

Pretty sure all you have to do is set up tables and two person activities and pawns will naturally become friends over time. Same thing with lovers, although that tends to have requests associated with it.

I mostly look at the grades and ignore all the rest and I haven't had much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Perhaps the default size should have been 8 because I had no idea, I just assumed the default wouldn't be horribly inefficient.

Although it didn't really hamper my students in any significant way so I guess the low difficulty counterbalanced the inefficiency