Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I'm an idiot retard American but I've been using 24hr time since before I can remember and goddamnit it's annoying to have to convert it.

Today somebody said "let's meet up at 7:45" and it took way too many seconds thinking "wait, is 7:45 actually 17hr45 or 19hr45?" 'cause it's an annoying conversion you shouldn't have to make and it's simple enough but it's one of those little things like wondering "am I supposed to use two 't's' or one when I spell regretable?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
your idea is making me uncomfortable

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

probably the same reason we still measure things by the length of a kingsfoot and larger distances by five thousand two hundred eighty kingsfeet

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
its because most ppl in america are so dumb they need to be reminded to look at the road while driving

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Why not metric time?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the true crime is my phone lets me use 24 hour clocks but doesn't let me set military notation so sometimes I look at 16:45 and the colon makes me think 'ahh, 6:45pm'

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

We're idiots and it confuses the people who work in HR.

Source: The time the person in HR got confused because I used 24 hour time on the time sheet and they under paid me because they couldn't figure out what 13:00-19:00 meant in the "Hours Worked" area.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the military does

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

because the 12 hour analog clock is king, baby

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Technically it's a little different because we pretend that 00:00 doesn't exist and the clocks skip from 2359 to 0001

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Larry Parrish posted:

Technically it's a little different because we pretend that 00:00 doesn't exist and the clocks skip from 2359 to 0001

lmbo how the gently caress does that work

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jesus Christ posted:

I'm an idiot retard American but I've been using 24hr time since before I can remember and goddamnit it's annoying to have to convert it.

Today somebody said "let's meet up at 7:45" and it took way too many seconds thinking "wait, is 7:45 actually 17hr45 or 19hr45?" 'cause it's an annoying conversion you shouldn't have to make and it's simple enough but it's one of those little things like wondering "am I supposed to use two 't's' or one when I spell regretable?"

If switching back and forth isn't second nature after a supposed lifetime of personally using 24 hour time and living in a society that uses 12 hr, I'm not sure what to tell you except to be sure and protect whatever brain cells you have left.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Do people outside of the US actually use 24 hour time in like, vocal conversation????

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

im on the net me boys posted:

Do people outside of the US actually use 24 hour time in like, vocal conversation????

Yes, as in "dismissed private, be back at 1600 to do rapes and burn down this village"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Larry Parrish posted:

what r u talking about

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

im on the net me boys posted:

Yup

"On se voit à 18h30." lets meet up at 18h30

"Mon entretien est à 14h" my interview is at 14h.
Etc.

Kurtofan has issued a correction as of 07:03 on Aug 17, 2018

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
military time makes more sense but also how many situations do you not know if someone means am or pm based on context clues...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ace of Baes posted:

military time makes more sense but also how many situations do you not know if someone means am or pm based on context clues...

It's the kind of thing you only notice if your autistic and work night shifts in an ops room for forever. But yeah all the military time clocks would either have 2359 be two minutes long or have 0001 be two minutes long. I counted it once with a stop watch.

I always thought my MTI was loving with me about 0000 not existing

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Larry Parrish posted:

It's the kind of thing you only notice if your autistic and work night shifts in an ops room for forever. But yeah all the military time clocks would either have 2359 be two minutes long or have 0001 be two minutes long. I counted it once with a stop watch.

I always thought my MTI was loving with me about 0000 not existing

oh I always just used my phone which had 00:00, originally I misread your post and thought it said it went from 2359 to 0100

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the 24 hour format is superior in every conceivable way and I've used it on my electronic devices for years

you will never ever accidentally set your alarm to 8pm instead of 8am ever again

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

General Dog posted:

If switching back and forth isn't second nature after a supposed lifetime of personally using 24 hour time and living in a society that uses 12 hr, I'm not sure what to tell you except to be sure and protect whatever brain cells you have left.

Hell, I studied physics at university but I still have to take a pause to convert pounds to kilograms or Fahrenheit to Celcius or Kelvin. Just 'cause you live and work with stuff a long time doesn't mean there isn't that moment where you have to take a moment to convert it in your head on the spot. NASA crashed a drat Mars rover 'cause of poo poo like this.

Jesus Christ has issued a correction as of 11:51 on Aug 17, 2018

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Storing the range of numbers from 0-24 requires using more neurons in the brain than 1-12.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
its because theyre retarded op, same reason why they wear shoes inside their homes

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive spent a lot of time trying to train my brain to think in metric but I still just guesstimate distances and temperature in stuff in us customary and convert in my head because it's easier

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

not only this, but let's all just use utc. same time everywhere in the world. at this moment it's 1154 everywhere. no time zones, no converting, no daylight savings, no anything like that. just one loving time.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
blue lives matter probably supports 24hr time as it is the official format of first responders, consider this op

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
time isn't real op

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Abel Wingnut posted:

not only this, but let's all just use utc. same time everywhere in the world. at this moment it's 1154 everywhere. no time zones, no converting, no daylight savings, no anything like that. just one loving time.

oh no, no way am i getting up at 5 in the morning. i'm on to your tricks

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

We logged every new day as balls in the navy idk wtd this is.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Doesn't this country worship the military enough for you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtle Sandbox posted:

We logged every new day as balls in the navy idk wtd this is.

You loving squids don't count with your whistles and watches and stuff

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Exceptionalism of the American variety

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i look at the sun to tell time. and if the sun isnt up, that means i should be sleeping!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

nah posted:

i look at the sun to tell time. and if the sun isnt up, that means i should be sleeping!

*hibernates through winter*

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
im conflicted because centigrade and 24hr time are objectively pretty good, but every american i've met who uses them is an insufferable nerd

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
We have trouble counting. Counting to 31 takes us a month so counting to 24 within a day is too much, we settled for 12

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
It keeps life interesting OP. sorry about ur boring rationalized life

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Abel Wingnut posted:

gently caress this idea, businesses would impose the same concurrent work schedule globally, like 9-5 but literally everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
also im not giving up a 420

🚫

gently caress this idea Jesus Christ I kno u get high too

• Locked thread