Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Problem description:
I'm trying to upgrade my parents laptop. I've purchased 2 new sticks of ram, an SSD and a fresh OEM copy of 64bit windows 10 so it can accommodate the new RAM.
When trying to boot the installation it just sits on the windows logo for a couple of mins and then displays a BSOD with a "Kernel Security Check Failure" and tries to reboot.

Attempted fixes:
I've tried:
Installing from a USB stick instead (downloaded from MS website)
Installing from the DVD drive once booted from my parents existing installation (won't work because it says 32bit incompatible with the 64bit)
I've run memory tests on the new RAM, all passes fine
I've run diagnostic tests on the new SSD, all passes fine.
Rest the BIOS settings to default

Recent changes: See above, they pass all of the tests fine. Computer works fine if I leave the new RAM in and boot on their old windows installation. SSD also appears in Disk Management and says it's working properly.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10 32bit - attempting to update to WIndows 10 64 bit

System specs: HP Compaq Presario CQ62. Attempting to install new OS on a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
OK, I sought of got it working. I put the old RAM back in and it installed fine. Tried putting the new RAM in an problem came back. So in summary:

New RAM on old 32bit windows works (albeit, it doesn't use all 8GB)
Old RAM on new 64bit windows works
New RAM on new 64bit windows doesn't work.

I assume this means that there is a compatibility issue with he motherboard/notebook when all 8GB are being utilised (enabled by the 64bit windows)?

I swear I did research that it would be OK. Can someone confirm where I might have gone wrong?

PC is: Compaq Presario CQ62-115TX
New RAM is: 2x http://www.kingstonmemory.net.au/Kingston-ValueRam-Laptop-DDR3-1600-MHz-C12/4GB-1600MHz-DDR3-Non-ECC-CL11-SODIMM-135V-KMAKVR16LS11/4.html
Maintenance and service guide for the latop is here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542455

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure the laptop has the latest BIOS:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-presario-cq62-400-notebook-pc-series/4346201/model/5048736

edit: nevermind

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
OK I think I've finally got to the bottom of it.

It turns out the HM55 chipset that my laptop has requires the ram to have 256MB memory banks, so for a 4GB stick i need 16x256 instead of the 8x512 that came on this RAM.

The only possible fix for this is a BIOS update yeah? The HP support page doesn't have any Windows 10 support for my laptop model. Does the OS version matter for BIOS updates or am I out of luck here?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Looten Plunder posted:

The only possible fix for this is a BIOS update yeah? The HP support page doesn't have any Windows 10 support for my laptop model. Does the OS version matter for BIOS updates or am I out of luck here?

You could try the W7 one but I can't say for certain. I know it works sometimes with a different OS. Other times the .exe might complain about the OS version.

• Locked thread