Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

:gritin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Its fitting that americans would gently caress up another civilization

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i hope they tore his dick and balls off and made them into a walking stick

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Its fitting that americans would gently caress up another civilization

look britain already took the best colonialism spots beforehand, the usa has to take what they can get if they want a spot on the leaderboards

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lol

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

this owns

Dec 26, 2012

lmao

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://twitter.com/SputnikInt/status/1066714375623344128

twoday
May 4, 2005

Don't poo poo where you float

Time to build a space outhouse

twoday
May 4, 2005

quote:

The Travels of Marco Polo/Book 3/Chapter 13: (1269)

Concerning the Island of Angamanain:
Angamanain is a very large Island. The people are without a king and are Idolaters, and no better than wild beasts. And I assure you all the men of this Island of Angamanain have heads like dogs, and teeth and eyes likewise; in fact, in the face they are all just like big mastiff dogs! They have a quantity of spices; but they are a most cruel generation, and eat everybody that they can catch, if not of their own race. They live on flesh and rice and milk, and have fruits different from any of ours.

quote:

One night in 1771, an East India Company hydrographic survey vessel, the Diligent, passed by North Sentinel and sighted “a multitude of lights . . . upon the shore.” This is the first recorded mention of the island. The surveying party did not stop to investigate, however. In those days, bonfires still beckoned from hundreds of coasts, all over the world. The ship sailed on.

quote:

An expedition led by Maurice Vidal Portman, a government administrator who hoped to research the natives and their customs, accomplished a successful landing on North Sentinel Island in January 1880. The group found a network of pathways and several small, abandoned villages. After several days, six Sentinelese, an elderly couple and four children, were captured and taken to Port Blair. The colonial officer in charge of the operation wrote that the entire group, "sickened rapidly, and the old man and his wife died, so the four children were sent back to their home with quantities of presents". A second landing was made by Portman on 27 August 1883 after the eruption of Krakatoa was mistaken for gunfire and interpreted as the distress signal of a ship. A search party landed on the island and left gifts before returning to Port Blair. Portman visited the island several more times between January 1885 and January 1887.

quote:

(2018)
Here's what we know:
There are between 50 and 200 of them.
They don't have writing.
They don't know how to make fire; observations made by landing parties in deserted villages have concluded that the Sentinelese wait for lightning strikes, then keep the resulting embers burning as long as they can.

twoday has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Nov 28, 2018

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
they were right to reject prometheus's gift

twoday
May 4, 2005

Well, what I’m getting out of the sequence I put in bold is that when the English made contact with them it killed everyone who knew how to make fire

But I suppose they could have lost it earlier, and that ship that saw them with all the lights could have been passing after a lightning strike

In either case they seem to be the only group on the planet that doesn’t have that ability so it seems like they had it once and lost it

twoday has issued a correction as of 13:37 on Nov 28, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
you can keep a fire going indefinitely if you know what you're doing. you can put a burning ember in a pot full of dirt to starve it off oxygen and it'll last long enough to transport it somewhere else.

this is probably how humanity learned to first make charcoal, by covering a bunch of burning wood up and coming back to it hours later.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/status/1068266681611505664 Laura Loomer getting owned as gently caress

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MazMHussain/status/1068250822075650050
CNN continues to be trash

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

crazy cloud posted:

the most completely bullshit tinfoil hat belief that i kinda unironically could get into is probably something like recalls like this being a psyop to condition people to distrust foods that don't come in a processed shelf stabilized branded form, both to produce low-grade malnutrition so nobody gets any bright ideas with their functioning and healthy brain, and to increase pop-tart profits in the long term lmao
There are no regulations for testing irrigation water for pathogens and what the Obama administration approved has been postponed by Trump admin until 2022, with a two year grace period for large farms and four for small farms. Don't forget that Trump's campaign issues contained, at one point, easing or eliminating refrigeration requirements for food production, transport, and storage.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This isn't current events but I feel this is the most appropriate thread

https://twitter.com/ErinEARoss/status/1068294418262704128?s=19

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Soiled Meat
Why must people post these long form stories in the worst possible medium. Next up, history of Namibia as a series of naval flag signals.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

Why must people post these long form stories in the worst possible medium. Next up, history of Namibia as a series of naval flag signals.

kind of agree but it really depends on the content/structure of the narrative

in that case i think it's just laziness disguised as quirkiness (i looked at it for 15 seconds, i didnt read it)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterPyke/status/1069036362039386112
:gritin:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/nickabouzeid/status/1070036774871650304

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

makes me wanna start a Lime Bike chop shop

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

BULBASAUR posted:

makes me wanna start a Lime Bike chop shop

lime bike chop shop extremely pro username idea

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR07r0ZMFb8

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
dang why arent those in seattle, i'd do that

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Already have them fishing out lime bikes from our lakes, plz capitalism add scooters to our artificial PNW reefs

twoday
May 4, 2005

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

So.... that ACA ruling is hosed isn't it

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...irst-amendment/ Elon Musk has gone full galaxy brain

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
poes law and all that but have people completely lost the ability to think

the comments on the youtube videos of the con ed substation blowing are depressing as hell

loving mouth breathing morons leading with aliens and ufos and end of the world instead of oh i dont know bright blue light means electricity you dumbasses

twoday
May 4, 2005

Sexual Lorax posted:

poes law and all that but have people completely lost the ability to think

the comments on the youtube videos of the con ed substation blowing are depressing as hell

loving mouth breathing morons leading with aliens and ufos and end of the world instead of oh i dont know bright blue light means electricity you dumbasses

We are about to enter the dark ages

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

twoday posted:

We are about to enter the dark ages

The age of piss

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So OPM put out these sample letters for feds to give to their landlords

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009