Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

That's really weird, up until the past couple years I thought of Brazil's relationship to religion as "Catholicism, but not too much and definitely not on Carnaval", with puritanical evangelism being a mostly US phenomenon.

my dude, the last 20 years have been a massive loving shift across most of latin america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

imo the honduras hurricane in the late 90s was the impetus, but that's because i was connected with lots of churches that sent people to the area. it could have been going on even earlier

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

costa rica also had its evangelical presidential candidate last year. he didn't win but he made it to the second round and got over 30% of the vote anyway. and this is in one of the more stable latin american countries

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
just bring back the emperor

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

i say swears online posted:

my dude, the last 20 years have been a massive loving shift across most of latin america

It's been loving wild

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Thanks for making this thread. I'll be following it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when can we expect the supreme court decision on Lula?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Shark Sandwich posted:

Somebody's keeping track of who the current pretender is, and it's even disputed lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_succession_to_the_former_Brazilian_throne

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I swear I remember reading that Ronaldinho was a leader of a far right party now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bolsonaro considered inviting the current pretender to the throne as his vice candidate lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
We need to nuke America.to stop the spread of evangelicalism

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
do workers syndicates like Mondragon and the like exist in Brazil? obviously not on the same level since they're the largest there is, but can they exist on a legalistic level?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kurnugia posted:

do workers syndicates like Mondragon and the like exist in Brazil? obviously not on the same level since they're the largest there is, but can they exist on a legalistic level?

Lula started his career with the CUT syndicate in the late 70s and 80s which while still is the largest one in the country it got extremely weakened during the last few years.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Somebody's keeping track of who the current pretender is, and it's even disputed lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_succession_to_the_former_Brazilian_throne

lol monarchists are such dweebs

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plutonis posted:

Lula started his career with the CUT syndicate in the late 70s and 80s which while still is the largest one in the country it got extremely weakened during the last few years.

I was referring specifically to business' owned by workers with 'syndicalism', or does the CUT do both trade union work and seek to accumulate capital? Also, any particular reason for the weakening you can think of beyond the usual corporate capitalist poo poo the temer government has been up to?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Whorelord posted:

I swear I remember reading that Ronaldinho was a leader of a far right party now
no, he's just a member of a far-right party

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kurnugia posted:

I was referring specifically to business' owned by workers with 'syndicalism', or does the CUT do both trade union work and seek to accumulate capital? Also, any particular reason for the weakening you can think of beyond the usual corporate capitalist poo poo the temer government has been up to?

Oh nope there aren't strong cooperatives here. And I'd say that CUT's accommodation with PT during the PT years did influence a bit on its weakening since it 'relaxed' on confronting the big business which led to splinter trade unions taking more people, but now Temer is slashing the labor rights we've had since the loving Vargas era with a chainsaw so let's see how that ends.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
If Lula somehow was allowed to run and won, what would he likely do?

(I know that it's more likely he won't be and Bolsonario reigns over as the last president of Brazil)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

If Lula somehow was allowed to run and won, what would he likely do?

(I know that it's more likely he won't be and Bolsonario reigns over as the last president of Brazil)

What I'd like: He'd tell the elite sectors and their insanely corrupt cronies in the congress to eat poo poo and not accommodate and appease them like the last few years.

What'll happen: He might undo some of the damage that the Temer administration wreaked, but would be unlikely to do much since the congress houses will still be full of corrupt cronies.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Actually never mind the supreme court straight up said that Lula isn't running lol. Ha ha.

e: Edited OP to include Haddad

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Sep 1, 2018

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

Actually never mind the supreme court straight up said that Lula isn't running lol. Ha ha.

Congratulations on Bolsanrio making it explicitly legal to murder Favela residents.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Plutonis posted:

if a mesopotamian storm god can stand for election idk why you worry about christian evangelical influence

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

:rip:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is good news for Jeb! ?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Did you guys just lose your national museum?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Shark Sandwich posted:

if there isn't another hapsburg holy roman emperor in my lifetime, i'll be pretty surprised actually

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Oct 8, 2021

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

~5% chance it was looted by hobby lobby just before the fire

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

wait it was 200 years old exactly? my fuckin pareidolia is acting up

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Metal Cat posted:

Yes. Founded in 1818. A collection catalog of 20 million items. Biggest array of meteorites in Brazil. Countless fossils. Contained the oldest remains of human presence in the americas, the skull of a woman that is estimated to be ~12,500 years old. Served as the residence of the royal family for over 7 decades.

Poof.

I don't want to tell you to riot, but I would riot.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't want to tell you to riot, but I would riot.

:frogon:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Metal Cat posted:

Yes. Founded in 1818. A collection catalog of 20 million items. Biggest array of meteorites in Brazil. Countless fossils. Contained the oldest remains of human presence in the americas, the skull of a woman that is estimated to be ~12,500 years old. Served as the residence of the royal family for over 7 decades.

Poof.

Oh jesus christ :cry:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Insane governmental incompetence and graft results in the loss of an incalculably valuable national treasure? Graft so bad that the loving firefighters couldn't even get water to fight the fire?

There aren't a lot of solutions for that. And the most obvious is an enraged mob.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LatuffCartoons/status/1036460848372477952

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm incredibly shook about that right now. Can't even sleep. To give you a magnitude it's as if the Buckingham and the British museum we're destroyed by the same catastrophe. This is because the Temer government slashed it's annual budget from 370k (which was already low) to a measly 50k

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

I'm incredibly shook about that right now. Can't even sleep. To give you a magnitude it's as if the Buckingham and the British museum we're destroyed by the same catastrophe. This is because the Temer government slashed it's annual budget from 370k (which was already low) to a measly 50k
Capitalism is humanity's enemy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/leuavila/status/1036405174175186944 the thread gives you an idea of what was lost here

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

sic transit gloria mundi

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy gently caress that's bad

god dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
a burning capstone to a presidency of magnificent misery and oppression. goondolences