Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Please lord, make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/DIOMIRANDRADE/status/1041504636774047745

its good to see that rightwingers being terrible at memeing is an international constant

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Reclines Obesily posted:

apparently there isnt enough time?
not with that attitude

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

English version of the article https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/German-Holocaust-Controversy-Reveals-Brazils-Growing-Alt-Right-20180917-0012.html

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I just saw Glenn Greenwald covering this.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1041838454781497345

Seriously, how americanized your right is is actually kind of astounding.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

I just saw Glenn Greenwald covering this.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1041838454781497345

Seriously, how americanized your right is is actually kind of astounding.

Well, that's because it's the same people astroturfing poo poo.

https://theintercept.com/2017/08/09/atlas-network-alejandro-chafuen-libertarian-think-tank-latin-america-brazil/

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:52 on Oct 8, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Rather than calling this an americanized form of politics, it's more accurate to say that Brazilian reactionaries have adopted the paranoid style of politics. Sure they got it from America, but the point is that it works in any country.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They adopted the victim complex too since after the stabbing attack they now complain about left violence while ignoring, let's say, the several right violence acts and incitement that preceded it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Metal Cat posted:

I'd be wary of giving too much credit to astroturfed campaigns: it's not that they don't influence people, it's just that ideas don't exist in a vacuum and often they can only thrive if the conditions are ripe for it. MBL is a tiny joke, decades of Veja and center-right liberals did the groundwork organically here, because at the end of the day it's still a country of 190 million people and you're gonna get dozens of millions of right-wingers in a multiparty system no matter what.

It's also inaccurate to say that our right-wing is very americanized: conservatism in the US has a huge free market ethos and a focus on federalism. Ours right-wing is more comparable to those in countries that underwent right-wing dictatorships (even in Europe) because there's constant friction between those all-within-the-state types and the people who buy into soft libertarianism.

What is more accurate to say is that all talking points everywhere are becoming americanized because the internet was invented and expanded under a time period where the US was (and still is) a global and economic hegemon. Sure, funding helps, but the fact that english is the lingua franca and that you'll get bombarded with american media means a good part of the work gets done internationally for free. That's why you end up hearing utterly bizarre takes that can only be explained by cultural osmosis, like bolsominions worrying that they're going to be replaced by muslims despite the fact that this country has almost nil immigration, or that the globalists are out to destroy whites in the west despite the fact we've never been considered either white or western by the rest of the West.

Anyway, poo poo's dumb.

No one is suggesting that ideas exist in a vacuum or that Brazil hasn't had a long and historied right wing tradition. Raymundo Faoro "Os Donos do Poder" already nailed pretty well this tendency of reactionary public servants who want to kick the ladder for everyone else in terms of public benefits.
But you know what doesn't happen? People don't wake up one day and go "you know what, Hitler was a leftist." Especially not in a country like Brazil, where the 2nd world war doesn't loom over every bit of culture as it does in the US. It's a particular type of right wing discourse that is specifically American. And saying that it wasn't the millions spent on astroturfing that made this popular in Brazil, it was the internet, is a distinction without a difference, because most of the Randian/libertarian "collectivist/statist"rhetoric in the US was also astroturfed as hell.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Plutonis posted:

They adopted the victim complex too since after the stabbing attack they now complain about left violence while ignoring, let's say, the several right violence acts and incitement that preceded it.

feeling victimized after being stabbed in the back is a very, uh, continental thing

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Oct 8, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's on the cover of the latest Economist, we're done.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45579635 posted:

Mr Bolsonaro, who is currently recovering in hospital after being stabbed during a political rally on 6 September, is known for making offensive, off-the-cuff remarks about women, black people and sexual minorities.

Since his stabbing - by an apparently mentally ill man opposed to his political views - he has risen to 28% in opinion polls and is seen as the most likely candidate to dispute a run-off on 28 October.
yeah you're screwed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol they stuck Lula in prison and now they're all going to get the same

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Brazil is the United States if the Confederacy won.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Brazil is the United States if the Confederacy won.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

If Brazil has a revolution please ensure these types are sent to a labour camp.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
someone post jimmy carter at the confederado memorial I’m too lazy

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lol

I wonder how political the Confederado descendents are, or if its just as meaningless to them as St. Patricks day is to all the Americans that identify as "Irish"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ah here’s a better one

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Is there a runoff if no candidate hits 50%?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

curried lamb of God posted:

Is there a runoff if no candidate hits 50%?

yes

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

GalacticAcid posted:

Ah here’s a better one

is that colonel sanders

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
All my PSDB "friends" are talking themselves into Bolsonaro. My favorite reasons why:

- If the economy improves it will be hard to remove the left from power again
- Alternating party in charge is good for democracy (though don't ask who they are voting for governor in Sao Paulo)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that first one is incredibly loving stupid

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah its probably going to be haddad vs bolsonaro

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

joepinetree posted:

All my PSDB "friends" are talking themselves into Bolsonaro. My favorite reasons why:

- If the economy improves it will be hard to remove the left from power again
- Alternating party in charge is good for democracy (though don't ask who they are voting for governor in Sao Paulo)

Accelerationism ftw

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

that first one is incredibly loving stupid

Right wingers are all bad faith actors who basically want to be jerked off at everyone else's expense.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
so haddads screaming upwards in the polls

whens coup

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

They're pulling some bullshit about non-updated biometric data required to vote speicifically on the districts Lula got the most votes, so it's prob happening.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

is Haddad making a communist party member his running mate so if they try to impeach him theyll have to deal with an even more radical prez? lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuela_d%27%C3%81vila

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

is Haddad making a communist party member his running mate so if they try to impeach him theyll have to deal with an even more radical prez? lol

lmao that's loving devious I love it

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
goddamn brazil elections are a rollercoaster

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

That's why Bolsonaro made a loving psychopath general his running mate as well lol

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
also good luck insallah

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQPobXF-pwo

lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PCdoB isn't that "fringe" a party anyway. It's pretty much more like the modern eurocommunist parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Plutonis posted:

PCdoB isn't that "fringe" a party anyway. It's pretty much more like the modern eurocommunist parties.

yeah but even eurocommunism is still a lot more radical than the PT