Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

cargo cult posted:

why specifically is this worse than trump

Bolsonaro and his allies have spoken against democracy and pro dictatorship many times and his followers are as been openly calling for a military intervention for a while. He is an ex-military, his vice president is a retired general and presently a good chunk of the military are on his side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lawman 0 posted:

Literally the only reason to have any hope

I would also add that the american institutions are still solid enough that an adventurer like him wont be able to burn it all down so easily and make himself a tyrant

That's deffinetly not the case here, specially not now

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is getting ugly already. Stuff like this happening all around:

https://odia.ig.com.br/rio-de-janei...aro.html#foto=1

(its about a trans woman that was heavily beaten with a steel bar, yesterday, in plain daylight, after answering to some guys who told her Bolsonaro was coming to take out trash like her)

I try not to be pessimistic or alarmist but there is something in the air here, something ugly, joyful and dangerous. Personally I never felt anything like this.

I hope that, if he really wins, he is just going to be a bad president and then it will be over in 4 or 8 years. But right now, it surely looks worst than this

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Avirosb posted:

I think that kind of stuff sadly happens a lot in Brazil. It's not a recent trend.

It sure does, but:
- there was a lot of cases since the elections period started, and still growing
- these are in the name of the guy who is about to win the election

I dont know, personally Im worried. I really hope Im wrong

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Great timing mr trump

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

GorgonLiker posted:

How hosed are lgbt Brazilians, you think?

Homophobic hate is very strong here even on our best days. And these are not our best days

edit: to be more precise: in the last few years our right adopted narratives such as "gender ideology was infiltrated in our society by communists to destroy the families" and "pedophilia is mostly gay and its being normalized and promoted by the LGBT movements". Today you can hear regular people on the streets repeating such arguments like obvious, undebatable truths. Bolsonaro himself (and his sons) used those arguments and is openly homophobic

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Oct 11, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

nerdz posted:

She's not criticizing him at all. If you could read the article you would see that she also wanted to say the things he does and get away with it in france.

Thats how Ive read it too

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does Brazil have any irredentist claims to a neighboring country like Uruguay or something that Bolsonaro could decide to annex or is he not that flavor of fascist

If he is going to try any military adventure, it would be against Venezuela. But only if Trump supports it

edit: people cant get over Roger Waters calling bolsonaro a neofascist

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Oct 12, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Plutonis posted:

Seeing a Brazilian tourist gay couple in NYC last week that said that they were not voting for PT on the second round made me realize how incredibly effective the media onslaught was. Or how people put class prejudice above self-preservation.

Also, David Duke is endorsing Bolso https://www.bbc.com/portuguese/brasil-45874344?fbclid=IwAR3lDfBMApUgMiyJhKzvuVl1XCku_s6enqiY2xrw_sCu6sQli73_3-1rAiA.

Bolsonaristas are already rushing to explain that the KKK belongs to the left, since it was founded by democrats

https://twitter.com/coringa1978/status/1052216722877485056

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

really queer Christmas posted:

Karl's Kommunist Klan

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ardennes posted:

I think Brazil is also a pretty key example of how just much power a media has over a population and you can honestly gaslight humans into almost anything.

But now what is special is that the media is completely powerless. Most of the big media now is attacking Bolsonaro daily, but it cant get inside the tick fake news bubble the movement created around itself

Theres a continuous stream of fake news coming through whatsapp and theres the legion of bots and idiots to instantly deny any real news against their candidate on any social network, so its upside down: if anything comes from globo, folha, etc, is automatically fake, is communist propaganda, George Soros is paying it. And anything that comes from their trusted whatsapp groups is indisputable Truth (stuff like "haddad wants to make pedophilia legal")

And that aint anything amateur, spontaneous. There is a powerful machine at work here, and we've seem similar stuff before (in Trumps election, for example)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do left wing Brazilians combat "Going further Left will turn Brazil into Venezuela?" Do they just bring up Bolivia and Ecuador as positive examples?

I just answer that PT had the power for 14 years and failed to turn us into Venezuela. And then they got kicked out as soon as PMDB wanted it.

Im not convincing anyone, though. Is not rational

edit: and joe, it is true: mass media helped to create antipetismo, promoted for years the narratives that "PT is the most corrupt party" and even "PT wants to make Brazil into Venezuela" etc, thinking that they could use it to put PSDB back into power. But now we are somewhere else already. Now they are tyring to force the genius back into the bottle and they found themselves powerless

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Oct 17, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The only way Brazil could and would start a war with Venezuela is if Trump supports it, politically and militarily

My hope is that Trump would not want it (seems to me it would be a very expensive war)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Folha revealed that big companies spent more than 12 million reais to fuel and keep the nation wide network of pro-bolsonaro whatsapp groups through which the endless stream of lies and fake news flow

https://outline.com/PUbNkL

Of course right now that same network is already being used at full steam deny this

edit: oh, and its illegal, since its basically a huge unaccounted campaign donation

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ciro Gomes PDT declared they will require Bolsonaro's impediment based on the latest news. Haddad says he has witnesses and videos that link Bolsonaro to the whatsapp campaign, but havent released it yet

Probably nothing is going to happen, but lets see how it turns out

The minions are frenetically fighting the "fake news" all over all social networks right now

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Oct 18, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I just bought a house so fleeding the country is not in my plans

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I heard from a client (a "startup entrepreneur") that we live in a communist dictatorship. Because of CLT (basic workers right)

He is 100% Bolsonaro, of course

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

frajaq posted:

nuke us please

starting by São Paulo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/BolsonaroSP/status/1056917550427189249

"gramsciists"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
A typical young bolsonarist

https://twitter.com/semfimlucrativo/status/1056974238177996800

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Max Awfuls posted:

Why go through messy and very public legal proceedings when you can just "hope" they get murdered like Marielle Franco and then make funny memes out of it? People keep talking about the government going full Junta but in reality I think you're going to get a lot more "unsolvable" murders that the government will promise to investigate thoroughly. It's just a lot more pratical and it makes it easier for foreign investors to shrug it off while claiming to be working with a democratically elected and legitimate government.

Also there is a lot of volunteers eager to do this job spontaneous, the police just have to look the other way. People have already started to feel like they can kill gays and trans people

Plus there's the militias, which the bolsonaros defended and even tried to make legal. I expect we will see quite a boom of RJ-like militias all over the country and they will do a good part of the dirty work

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Sounds sort of like the death squads in Colombia

Kinda of, but not exactly. They are more like paramilitary groups created under the pretense of protecting communities from the drug gangs, which of course are gangs themselves and are now controlling favelas much like the drug gangs

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/opinion/rio-janeiro-terrorize-militias.html

quote:

In their current form, militias were established in Rio de Janeiro in the late ’90s and early 2000s, under the pretext that they were protecting residents from drug traffickers. Although more civilians are joining, the militias have been dominated by active-duty and retired police officers, who essentially assume control of suburban slums, or favelas, under the guise of defending them.

Once they have a foothold in the community, militia members extort money from residents and shopkeepers (in other words, they demand payments that are partly for protection against themselves). They also control local unlicensed public transportation, since city buses are scarce or nonexistent in remote areas. They offer illegal internet and television connections, charge commissions on real estate deals, and control the supply of gas and water. In the Gardênia Azul favela, for example, militia members collect money from street vendors and even popcorn carts.
ADVERTISEMENT

It’s a kind of mafia, with Brazilian peculiarities.

One of them is irony. After careful deliberation with their accountants (at least that’s what I imagine), and in the name of business diversification, some militias have entered the field of drug trafficking. Others have decided to work with their former rivals from drug gangs, selling them weapons and recruiting members from their ranks. In 2015, according to the newspaper O Dia, a militia “sold” the area of Morro do Jordão to a drug gang for three million Brazilian reais, or about $800,000. So much for the righteous excuse of vigilante justice

One of the bolsonaro kids tried to pass a law legalizing their activity

And left wing congresswoman Marielle Franco was most probably killed by militiamen (we will never know now. A sign that was created in homage to her was proudly destroyed by bolsonaristas during a rally (one of the guys who did is RJ new governor)

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Oct 30, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Unnamed One posted:

Update on this dude: He took the picture down after someone found his profile on a gay dating app

https://twitter.com/mixturandoweb/status/1057018267062226945?s=21

Follow up: he recorded an apology video. With his mom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYyGqNCLi0

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Im not thinking about civil war or guerrila, but if bolsonarist bullies start carrying guns around, Ill seriously consider getting one too

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
In Syria they did had a lot of foreign help and still Assad stands

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Venom Snake posted:

Except he won on anti-chinese fear mongering and vehement anti-communism lol. He's far more likely to sell the amazon to jared kushner

He did but I very much doubt he is going to sour relations with our most important economic partner

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah basically he voted for bolsonaro, went to a counterprotest to yell at lefties and was immediately assaulted by police for being black and "looking like a drug dealer" and now he hates bolsonaro. also his mother said he probably deserved it.

https://twitter.com/Cavalorn/status/654934442549620736

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Magrov posted:

Calm down folks, the guy hasnt even touched foot on the capital yet.

Save the dictatorship proclamation for when the new law classifying any protest with the intention of forcing the government to take any action as terrorism passes (which should happen within a month or so).

Speaking of which, they are already trying to expand the "anti-terror" law to include stuff like "making pressure on the government to do or not do anything based for social or ideologic motivation" in teh definition of "terrorism"

https://outline.com/XP58vd

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kanthulhu posted:

It's due to atmospheric pressure differentials created by the forest. It rains in the southeast because of the amazon. Without the forest, the southeast region will be as dry as the northeast.

Yeah, when SP had that great drought some years ago, I remember reading quite a number of serious scientists arguing that the growing deflorastation of Amazon was to blame

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bolsonaro said in an interview to a israeli newspaper that he indeed plans to move the brazilian embassy to Jerusalem

He also hinted that the palestinian embassy in Brazil will be closed

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/mundo...ampaign=twfolha

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
His pro-israel anti-palestina stance is mostly alignment with the american right

Max Awfuls posted:

so they create the myth of a nebulous millionaire jewish cabal that is actually pushing the white working man down to stop them from getting mad at the rich white people doing the actual pushing.

This role is being played by George Soros nowdays, here and in the USA. Only instead of calling him a jew, they say he is a communist

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/MairavZ/status/1059200008698773504

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jose posted:

Lol if he brings in mandatory service

We already have it (most people escape it because the army cant take many people)

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Nov 5, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

spivak posted:

Yeah, I just said I have OCD and was dismissed on the spot.

I didint had to say or do anything on my time. I was dismissed on "excesso de contingente" (have no idea how to say that in english, it means there was a lot more kids than the army could handle so they sent most home)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yesterday Egypt cancelled a diplomatic mission probably in retaliation for Bolsonaro stated intention of transfering the embassy to Jerusalem

Today he already said that the embassy transfer is not yet decided

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNewsBR/status/1059864101868965888

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

For non-brazilians: SBT (second major TV channel) started broadcasting a mysterious ad where they bring back an old slogan from the military dictatorship ("Brasil: love it or leave it")

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Eduardo Bolsonaro openly defended criminalizing communism, even if it means "arresting 100000 people". He also cited Indonesia and Ukraine to say that "this is not that radical"

He also defended Bannon "Movement" as an answer to "Foro de São Paulo"

https://outline.com/MsH59L

edit: have in mind that, to these people, anyone even slightly critical of Bolsonaro is a commie

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Nov 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Terminal autist posted:

Someone posted it in the trump thread I was hoping someone here could explain. Its pretty easy as an american to get fed up and depressed but holy poo poo thats what actual fascism looks like. I just hope everyone in brazil is keeping their heads down and getting out if they can. Stay safe

Thats actually regular brazilian military police work, really

Whats special is a bolsonarist congressmen sharing and praising it online. Apart from that, is just our everyday "drug war" barbarism

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 11:54 on Nov 13, 2018