Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Well, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Brazil has a long story of authoritarism and its legacy is part of the foundation of many of our institutions. We've had a generation grow under a representative republic, but that is in no way the "normal" for our nation's history.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also Bozo is running away from debates with the excuse of medical leave, despite going on the telly and rallies. Unfortunately he knows he's his own worst enemy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GorgonLiker posted:

How hosed are lgbt Brazilians, you think?

Yeah, as hosed as that newstore implies, but even less interest from the authorities to prosecute or investigate.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

get that OUT of my face posted:

i know that high finance and fascism go together like peanut butter and jelly, but the big rises and falls in brazilian markets as a reaction to electoral goings on is sickening. first came the markets going up over 2% when it was confirmed lula was going to jail. then it was a similar jump after polls showed bolsonaro with a comfortable lead. now they took a tumble because bolsonaro said that he had no interest in privatizing Petrobras. finance vultures really, really want to feast on brazil

Well, wouldn't you want to buy energy companies built with public money for pennies? That's the whole reason why the market has gone friendly on Bolsonaro.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Have a map of incidents of political violence due to our elections. They're trying to stick only to sourced events.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=-11.376367430891005%2C-26.34790098839187&z=4&mid=1hNIxsASpLAxFjsWPMqFZtm-cuigr3jj9

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

punk rebel ecks posted:

What exactly do Brazilians consider non-white?

You may know this guy called Neymar. Well, he said he was never a victim of racism because he's not black.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does Brazil have any irredentist claims to a neighboring country like Uruguay or something that Bolsonaro could decide to annex or is he not that flavor of fascist

We lost Uruguay a long time ago, enough for it not to count. But Bolsonaro has talked about wanting to attack Venezuela to defeat communism.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

get that OUT of my face posted:

the brazilian junta actively supported fascist movements in uruguay and bolivia (with uruguay, they threatened to invade if they elected a government they perceived as leftist), they helped out with the overthrow of allende in chile, and they were the ones that started Operation Condor. so bolsonaro probably isn't going to annex anybody but you'd better believe he'll try and make this a continental movement

it goes without saying that the US encouraged this behavior at every turn, and even made tanks and weapons available to the people who originally overthrew the government to create the junta (they didn't need the offer). so with trump there will be more encouragement

https://twitter.com/BrasilWire/status/1050391254188654592

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nerdz posted:

I'm having a good time (as good as it can be) by arguing with bolsonaro supporters as a Libertarian critical of his authoritarian positions

their brains just bluescreen

That's a good one, since their knee jerk reaction is to call all the opposition communists, specially if you are critical of Bolsonaro's statist votes as a representative and his turn-around statement on the privatization of Petrobras.

A few of them also BSoD if you tell them communism only killed "vagabundos" when they do the 100M line.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kunster posted:

Huh, Michael Temer finally got indicted for corruption. Looks like he finally outlived his usefulness. I look forward to John Green and every columnist that kept poking people on how corruption is really important and is why you should really care if your ideology is actually good to suddenly care about this again and to put another wacky clock on the telly counting down the minutes until Temer finally has to be arrested, and when it runs out to drag enough brazilian commentators to call them mentally handicapped for not making GBS threads out a sensible centre right government and how there should be compromise between murder and not murder.

MDB, Temer's party, is consistently on the top of lists of politicians with "ficha suja" (criminal or corruption charges). PT is also there, between 6th and 10th place depending on the year you check out, but somehow the conversation puts them as responsible for all the corruption of the country.

I am glad there's a chance Temer will be arrested in my lifetime, though I remain skeptical until there's a verdict stronger than "house arrest in a mansion".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Defeat communism.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, like the justice system who made Lula the only person in the country who cannot speak to the media is going to block Bozonaro's candidacy at this point.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kurtofan posted:

how do you buy someones vote

I'd get the money and then vote for I wanted to anyway

For the people who do that as a political strategy in the countryside, you only get the payment if their side wins. But since those are upper middle class idiots who think they're smart - and thus very easy to fool - it would be easy to get away with it (also Bozonaro is winning anyway), but the housekeeper probably has her principles, and they are an important factor in her self-steem, being at the bottom of the economic pyramid, so she won't betray them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plutonis posted:

lmao a vid just got leaked of Sao Paulo governor candidate Doria loving five women in a motel

The Family candidate.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Does that help or hurt his chances?

It will serve to highlight the hypocrisy of the Fundies supporting him, but I don't think it will do much else.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I always take a book with me when I expect to be in a line for whatever, and just now I realized this is a thing Haddad supporters were doing as a political gesture and that's why one lady kept giving me the stinky eye.

Well, I did vote for him, but it is still amusing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

"[...]The poor have been rebels, but they have never been anarchists; they have more interest than anyone else in there being some decent government. The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn’t; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all. Aristocrats were always anarchists, as you can see from the barons’ wars.”

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

New expression I learned last week, and very much applicable here.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plutonis posted:

Lmao Temer wants to increase the Supreme Court number to 22 judges. Reminder that those are the most highly paid civil servants on the world.

It is a pretty good deal, Temer takes the flak for it and then Bolovo gets to stack the supreme court with his dudes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plutonis posted:

Bolso backpedalled from some of the stuff he said regarding getting rid of the labor ministry and merging other ministries like education and culture.

I'll believe the backpedalling when he's head of state.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

punk rebel ecks posted:

It seems to me that nations that have had a right wing turn in government are fueled by a "lost promised future".

America with the failing of the American dream.

Hungary with underwhelming post Communist success.

Is this the same case with Brazil?

You could say that, Brazil at one point peaked as the world's 5th biggest GDP, but then we had a recession and things have gone pretty poorly since.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nerdz posted:

saying someone is gay as a way to offend them to own the fascists nice

Like Negrostrike put it, it is classical cold war political symbolism.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://oglobo.globo.com/rio/policia-civil-intercepta-plano-de-milicianos-para-executar-deputado-marcelo-freixo-23303375

So the civil police in Brazil intercepted a plan from a death-squad being investigated over Marielle's murder to kill Freixo as well.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Metal Cat posted:

We should start a leftist gun club just to see how many hysterical death threats we'd get per month and how fast they'd put restrictions on it

Worked for the Black Panthers in California.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plutonis posted:

Lmao apparently the crime syndicates are paying a thousand reais to start fires and five thousand if it's a large scale one... Time to grind that mfing cash

Man, you're gonna get rich.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plutonis posted:

We USA gun laws now

Can I buy a shotgun at Pão de Açúcar or is that only at Walmart.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plutonis posted:

More like The Successful Confederacy

Yeah, Brazil is pretty similar to what the Confederacy would have turned into if it didn't die.

Maybe with better looking people and climate, but same thing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dias posted:

Bolzie's son got the Supreme Court to suspend investigations on the Queiroz case, because the former's becoming a Senator in February and then only the Supreme Court itself can investigate that poo poo.

STF is a bunch of shook-rear end bitches.

Funny, it was Queiroz being investigated, not Bozoson, so that logic doesn't even apply.

[edit]I mean, wouldn't apply if anyone gave a drat for jurisprudence

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I've said it before IRL, but Bolsonaro and his clan have enough poo poo on them that we might get President Mourão doing Castelo Branco II.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

joepinetree posted:

Greenwald. the CNN correspondent

I am pretty confident the one who wrote the text knows Greenwald works for the Intercept rather than CNN, and also knows that listeners/viewers have heard of CNN and not very many have heard of the Intercept, so if that name was dropped it wouldn't cause more than raised eyebrows; they also know the majority of the audience will take them at their word and won't look him up and learn where he works.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plutonis posted:

We need a Pol Pot and with god as my witness if I must take that role I shall accept it without a doubt

Invest that arson money on your private army.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://twitter.com/daniel_leinad79/status/1095073751505481731?s=21

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plutonis posted:

Some audios got leaked and it turned out Bolsonaro did spoke with Bebianno at the hospital but apparently it was boring minor stuff instead of any real incriminating poo poo (other than straight up calling Globo their enemy) they are afraid of so I'm baffled why he lied about it.

People who lie a lot do it out of habit, I guess.

Also I imagine Bolso's large adult son wanted to discredit Baby and good brain president followed suit.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Miami Police badge. Patriots indeed.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Boatswain posted:

Question for all comrades in Brazil: Does it matter that one of the policemen had (or appeared to have had) close connections to the Bols? Will this cause his voters (or base) to distance themselves from him?

LOL, no. Most of his base supports Marielle's killing, for being Lesbian, black and representing the poor. In fact, one of the criteria for the mass firings of the state department (is that how you'd call Casa Civil in English?) was if the person had published something in support of the investigation into Marielle's murder.

Also, Bevins put my thoughts into words.

https://twitter.com/Vinncent/status/1105483426956804097

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Way to confess his illegitimate child.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Due to his advanced age and status as ex-president he'll be condemned to 30 years of home arrest in his mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

On the one hand we lose the 13th on the other we lose Bostonaro legitimizing the most hateful loonies in the southern hemisphere.